Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

New Blockbuster Online program?!?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

New Blockbuster Online program?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by pantala
I received a survey from BB today asking me how I would feel if the Total Access program was modified to only allow three free in-store exchanges a month. Additional exchanges would be $0.99.

Perhaps a sign of the future?
Pray they don't ask the same fools Best Buy asked who said "Yes, we want fewer points for our purchases."
Paying per exchange sort of defeats the purpose of online renting.

Use and abuse it while you can, I fear it's shortlived.
Old 04-09-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
That's the plan.

After 15-20 minutes on hold (not kidding....freaking knocked a bar off of my cell phone's battery!) I talked with a CS, she pretty much said they f'd up. My account got restored, the DVDs are still MIA in their system, but they should mail out my DVDs today...uh hu. She did give me 2 free weeks of rentals and 3 in-store...since my movies won't get here until wednesday-ish, which is a week and a half since they were scanned in.

I'm with them for now......the only thing keeping me is the in-store rentals, since BB takes longer to ship their online movies.

-p
Old 04-10-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Pray they don't ask the same fools Best Buy asked who said "Yes, we want fewer points for our purchases."
Paying per exchange sort of defeats the purpose of online renting.

I still think that those Bestbuy reward zone customers were given a choice like:
a) fewer points per dollar purchased or
b) making every customer wait in the customer service line to check out, just like circuit city

in which case even I would choose a).

I still wonder how they generate money from this program. Sure, it gets me into their store every week to return movies, but I don't actually buy anything else while I'm there... just use my envelopes and coupons.
Old 04-10-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weird I canceled my account last week and returned everything. Then all of a sudden today I get new movies in the mail. Anyone else have this happen?

I only got 2 shipped but had the three out plan and returned all my movies before canceling.
Old 04-20-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a survey also saying they would raise the Total Access price to $21.99. Or the $0.99 in store exchange....what a crock of shit. I will cancel if the do actually start doing this. I'll go back to Netflix.
Old 04-20-07, 01:54 PM

I have two gripes concerning Blockbuster Total Access:

1. Under Blockbuster's help page "What Does Availability Mean?":

"Available: This title is currently in stock, and we anticipate that it will be available for shipment when requested. However, please keep in mind that due to the constant change in availability factors we can't guarantee that this title will be the next title we ship you, even if it has the highest priority in your Queue."

I've had this one title at the top of my queue and even though it was flagged as "Available" since I signed up a three weeks ago, it always gets skipped and the next available title is shipped. So "Available" actually means we will ship that title if we can locate it someday among one of our incompetently staffed shipping centers.

2. You can't count on Blockbuster to faithfully list all the discs in a DVD box set. They will list a five disc set as a four disc set since they don't have plans to restock the missing disc. They don't list the complete contents of each individual disc to keep you guessing what that missing disc actually is. I have to go to Amazon, Wikipedia, or Netflix to find a complete listing. (BTW Netflix gets around this situation by breaking down the box set and listing only the ones that they still have. You will have to go to Amazon or Wikipedia to find what the missing disc is.)

Note: This is a complaint concerning older DVD box sets (Blockbuster/Columbo, Netflix/Cadfael) and not the new releases.
Old 04-20-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Weird I canceled my account last week and returned everything. Then all of a sudden today I get new movies in the mail. Anyone else have this happen?

I only got 2 shipped but had the three out plan and returned all my movies before canceling.

Good luck...I get at least 3-5 emails a week from folks that complain they "can't" cancel their accounts...
Old 04-26-07, 12:57 AM

It seemed BBO return in store was working fine. Except sort of today. Returned 2 in store yesterday but only 1 was shipped today. Also had 3 returns Saturday but haven't cleared queue yet. So showing 7 shipped now. Should show 8 but only 1 dvd was shipped today.

Anyone experience when returning in store that the next dvd is not shipped next business day? Mine's been great so far except today when only 1 got shipped instead of 2.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing 2 days before next dvd is shipped after returning in store.
Old 04-26-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HA! I've been experiencing over 2 days before the next one ships whenever I use the instore return.
Old 04-26-07, 07:32 AM

In-store returns always slowed down my account as well.
Old 05-04-07, 12:27 PM

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with BBO. After not seeing any shipments for 72 hours (on a 3 out plan, none were out), I emailed them and was told to contact the 866 number. I contacted them today and was told the account was "expelled" and was given the corporate information if I had any questions. Now I am what you would call a heavy renter. I average 6 movies from BBO and 6 movies from the B&M each week. Looking at the terms and conditions, they can cancel anyone's membership for any reason. Are they now knocking off the heavy renters as a way of reducing their losses?
Old 05-04-07, 08:57 PM

I'm a heavy user like you too.

So far DVDs still have been shipping. (Knock on wood).

What did they mean by "expelled"? Did they give you any more info on it or from corporate? Just curious.

Anyone else that is a heavy user "expelled" or "not expelled"?
Old 05-04-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm a fairly heavy user on the 4-out plan and haven't experienced anything like that. My only guess as to what might cause something like that is an overabundance of discs reported missing or damaged.
Old 05-04-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
My only guess as to what might cause something like that is an overabundance of discs reported missing or damaged.
I'm actually a little paranoid about that. Several times I've returned a disc as damaged/unplayable, only to get another unplayable one (most likely the same one)... at that point, I just give up and move onto another movie.
Old 05-05-07, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm actually a little paranoid about that. Several times I've returned a disc as damaged/unplayable, only to get another unplayable one (most likely the same one)... at that point, I just give up and move onto another movie.
I'm the same way. There have also been times where I let it slide completely and don't even report the disc as damaged.

Right now, I'm also pretty paranoid about my Netflix account because apparently one of my returned discs never made it back to them. I guess the disc fell out of the return envelope somewhere along the way.
Old 05-06-07, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm a fairly heavy user on the 4-out plan and haven't experienced anything like that. My only guess as to what might cause something like that is an overabundance of discs reported missing or damaged.
Yeah, I've pretty much nailed it down to that. Since they started dragging their feet on shipping after an in-store return, I've been reporting an issue with almost every disc. If I had returned it inside of the 3 day window, I make the rare "damaged" or "wrong disc" report.

And for those wondering...It's kind of shitty that they cancel the account without giving you any notice. They don't even refund the unused prorated monthly fee. And I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of seeing if my in-store coupon still works....
Old 05-07-07, 01:19 AM

Just for curiousity sake JPB07, about how many times did you report a disc problem due to the lateness of in store returns turnaround?

20? 30? 40? 50? Just wondering. I'm sure a lot of people were doing this during the fiasco early this year with the in store return "glitch".

I agree that you should get a prorated refund. I imagine the in store coupons should work.

I wonder if you can sign up for a new account with different email and different credit card?
Old 05-07-07, 12:19 PM

I would say those doing it a couple dozen times are probably not going to get noticed. The times I would let things work like they should (no reports, just in-store returns), the system would still not work as it should...it was taking 48 hours for them to ship a disc out of the 70+ in the queue/40+ "available". Also, they changed how they ship about two months ago. They used to have it where if your returned/reported a disc by noon, a new disc would ship the next day. Now the cutoff is midnight. So even if you returned your discs right when they opened at 10am, you weren't going to see discs from BBO for 3-4 days. I am one of those that used to return by noon so that I would have a new BBO disc within a day or two. In the past month to ensure that the process worked as it always had, I reported them returned the night before I went to the store. Looking at it from their viewpoint, changing the cutoff time for new shipments probably shaved a quarter off of what customers such as myself could realisticly rent in any given month. I averaged about 6 discs a week and had the service for 20 months so on the low side, 50 reports is probably a fair guess. Of course, I'll probably still be getting shipments for months. I had discs that were sent last November not get here until last month.
Old 05-08-07, 08:45 PM

For the 2nd straight time, BB has shipped me a movie other than the #1 movie in my queue despite it being available.
Old 05-08-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MFRONE
For the 2nd straight time, BB has shipped me a movie other than the #1 movie in my queue despite it being available.
Happens all the time to me. Tonight, they skipped all the way down to the 29th title in my queue when there roughly 20 movies before it that were "available".
Old 05-09-07, 01:21 AM

I've had them ship discs from the 40s when there were at least 20 of the top 30 that were "available". After a week I can't really say I miss the service...
Old 05-14-07, 01:34 PM

Looks like I'm going to Netflix. I received a notice that a disc shipped on Tuesday afternoon (either from Cleveland or Mansfield) and I have still not received it almost a week later. I reported the disc as missing on Friday and still have yet to hear back from them. They were able to charge me my monthly fee last week though.
Old 05-14-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the new thing they do now is stretching the shipped date and expected arrival date to three or four days! that means you can't report it as having been returned even though you had it in your hand and returned it 2 days ago!
Old 05-16-07, 12:39 PM

I like to check this thread now and then because I'm amazed to hear about the problems people are having. I've been with Blockbuster for like two years now and I honestly don't have any of the problems mentioned here. Example....I put Pan's Labyrinth 1st or 2nd on the queue on Monday, they checked in a return, and there was Pan's Labyrinth in my mailbox on Tuesday.
I can't imagine I'm the only one that's escaped all this trouble being talked about here.
Old 05-17-07, 12:31 AM

I'm with John-In-VA on this 1..
I return my online movies on Tue 11am & I have had to report them as returned about midnight that night for the last few months...
but other than that its been perfect.. 1 2 3 always ship to me..

but last night I forgot to report them as returned & today they checked themselvs in & my next 3 are on there way to me...
Yea baby....

now if they F-up the current system buy Charging more $$ or limiting the # out..I will go back to the big N!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.