Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Yes, but as posted earlier, it seems he is essentially brain dead and on artificial life support. But at this pint I wouldn't be surprised if the news outlets got that wrong as well. Possibly best to wait until one of his close friends says something official to the media.
Yes from what I understand, he arrived at the ER with no brain activity and is currently not on life support. It's just a matter of time at this point. Fuck this world is harsh as hell lately with no let up.
Old 10-02-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
re: Tom Petty in critical condition after cardiac arrest [UPDATE: Dead at 66] [Merged]

Officially time of death - 8:40pm PST
Old 10-02-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Damn. I really like a lot of his music. Not all of it, but a lot, and I've got a TON of respect for him as a songwriter.

This sucks.
Old 10-02-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Free Falling was one of my daughter's favorite songs when she was little, like two years old. She liked Elvis because of Lilo & Stitch, so she liked a song about a good girl who loved horses and was crazy about Elvis. She told my mother-in-law "Tom Petty is a bad boy!". Indeed he was, in the very best way.
Old 10-03-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
As fellow brother in Irvine, condolences my good man. I can't even imagine.
Thank you. It's been tough, but she was in poor health for a few months. Very sad she is gone, but so relieved that she isn't suffering any longer.
Old 10-03-17, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In addition to all the great music, I loved when he showed up (in voice) as Lucky on King of the Hill

Also, "Runnin' Down A Dream" is one of the most fun songs to play on an acoustic guitar.
Old 10-03-17, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I always enjoyed some of his hit songs, but I became a fan when his album Wildflowers came out in 94 I think.

It's one of my favorite albums of all time. It is a masterpiece, in my opinion.

I love records I can listen to all the way through.
Old 10-03-17, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Was he a doper? I don't know about his history, and whether hard living or genetics caused his cardiac arrest.
Plus did he have any previous known health issues?
Old 10-03-17, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

In some ways Petty is underrated because he has SO many hits. This guy pretty much churned out hit after hit, and album after album from the late 70's to the mid 90's. I saw him in 1991 and it was a great show.
Old 10-03-17, 06:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Plus did he have any previous known health issues?
I have no idea whether they contributed to his demise, but Tom has had plenty of cigs and weed in his life.
Old 10-03-17, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

A real shame ... such great music ... he really went out on a great not with Hypnotic Eye, such a good album.
Old 10-03-17, 07:03 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

One of his daughters was thrashing Rolling Stone on Instagram about reporting the death early. Holy shit does she look just like him... down to the teeth.
Old 10-03-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

A huge loss. I grew up with his music. He was the coolest of the cool.

RIP Tom Petty.
Old 10-03-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Exceptionally saddened by this news as well. People may fall but legends never die. I was lucky to be one of the few concert photographers selected to snap his show when he rolled into town in July.

View post on imgur.com
<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

View post on imgur.com
Old 10-03-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
One of his daughters was thrashing Rolling Stone on Instagram about reporting the death early. Holy shit does she look just like him... down to the teeth.
As she should. News reporting has often become a shitshow of tweeters not at all concerned with confirming facts. It's all about getting a time code out there that will be before everybody else that pulls news out of their ass. Rolling Stone of all outlets should have access to sources that could have confirmed this either way rather than essentially re-tweeting "reports" from garbage outlets like TMZ.

Anyway, sorry to see him go. Very few artists keep a steady stream of top level music going as long as he did.
Old 10-03-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

View post on imgur.com
Old 10-03-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Damn, I wasn't the biggest fan or anything but he made a lot of great tunes and seemed like a good dude - RIP
Old 10-03-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Exceptionally saddened by this news as well. People may fall but legends never die. I was lucky to be one of the few concert photographers selected to snap his show when he rolled into town in July.
Great pics
Old 10-03-17, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windom
Been a big fan since "Don't Come Around Here No More" yet never managed to see him in concert.

I hope he wasn't back on the big H.
First record I ever bought as a kid was the 45 of that song.
Old 10-03-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Great pics
Yeah, I was the only photographer in the pit singing along to the tunes. Tom noticed and gave me a little point with his guitar at one point. Means much more now.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Old 10-03-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know people hate to hear "I saw him when" stories but I saw him at UC Santa Barbara Robertson Gym in 1980 on the Damn the Torpedoes tour from the second row. I've seen him many times since but nothing tops that show for me.
Old 10-03-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

People who only dipped in his hits should find the Playback boxed set if it's still available. 6 CDs that covers the hits and many unreleased gems that are better than most artists whole careers. Casa Dega is one of his best songs that barely anyone knows.
Old 10-03-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
People who only dipped in his hits should find the Playback boxed set if it's still available. 6 CDs that covers the hits and many unreleased gems that are better than most artists whole careers. Casa Dega is one of his best songs that barely anyone knows.

That sounds like me. Anything of his that got radio play was generally gold, but he wasn't somebody I would make the effort to dig into. The local classic rock station has been doing tributes since yesterday afternoon and playing his songs and they're still just so good.

I think I will make an effort to find some catalog stuff.
Old 10-03-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
$40 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000002OYT

Also, some 3rd party seller trying to get $300 for one.
Old 10-03-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

As much as I loved his songs and his songwriting, I did think that his SOUND, the aesthetics of it, was too samey - not much to differentiate one song, or even one album, from another.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.