Print Wikipost

Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Originally Posted by Classic Films
ZARDOZ and MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION are now sold out.
Wow, this was also a 5000 LE as opposed to the typical 3000 LE. But Arrow Region B always available for a song
Old 11-14-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Wow, this was also a 5000 LE as opposed to the typical 3000 LE. But Arrow Region B always available for a song
And I was one of the ones who bought it at launch. I don't regret it as I enjoy Sean Connery in pretty much anything...but I should have waited as I'm learning now. From what I read, it went through the first 3000 copies pretty quickly, but the last 2000 is what took forever.

Anyway, got in my three titles last night. I think that's the quickest I've ever gotten a shipment from them. Was nicely packed in a box this time...even though I think the titles from Criterion come out nicer, Twilight Time is my favorite boutique label without question. They just seem to care more.
Old 11-14-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
...even though I think the titles from Criterion come out nicer, Twilight Time is my favorite boutique label without question. They just seem to care more.
Care more about what? While I think their discs are generally of a slightly higher quality than your typical Olive or Kino release, I don't get the sense that TT is pouring their heart and souls into these discs or anything. Outside of the isolated score tracks and occasional (boring) commentary, they pretty much just take what the studios give them and put it on a disc.
Old 11-14-17, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Care more about what? While I think their discs are generally of a slightly higher quality than your typical Olive or Kino release, I don't get the sense that TT is pouring their heart and souls into these discs or anything. Outside of the isolated score tracks and occasional (boring) commentary, they pretty much just take what the studios give them and put it on a disc.
Are any of these boutique guys really putting their heart & soul into discs, lol? Nah, but from the sales they run, how they package their wares, and their covers/presentation make you feel like you are owning a limited edition, not something that came off the line. I've asked them questions from time to time and they have always responded pretty quickly. To me, good service, a good product, and accessibility will go a long way for me. To me, it doesn't seem like they are just putting the movie on a disc. *shrug*
Old 11-14-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Are any of these boutique guys really putting their heart & soul into discs, lol? Nah, but from the sales they run, how they package their wares, and their covers/presentation make you feel like you are owning a limited edition, not something that came off the line. I've asked them questions from time to time and they have always responded pretty quickly. To me, good service, a good product, and accessibility will go a long way for me. To me, it doesn't seem like they are just putting the movie on a disc. *shrug*
I'm not trying to start some kind of boutique label pissing match, but I guess I don't see what they do as being anything particularly special. Their sales just bring their prices more in line with what everyone else is charging and I think their in house cover art designs are mostly lacking (but that's subjective). Compare any of their releases to it's UK counterpart put out by the likes of Arrow or Indicator or MOC and the UK version is almost always better. I say this as someone who owns a few dozen TT discs, so it's not like I'm anti-TT or anything.

I will give them credit for improving their shipping/distribution. I ordered on Wednesday and received my package by Sunday. That's about as quick a turnaround as I've seen from them. That said, any other label's discs I could just order from Amazon and have them in 2 days.
Old 11-14-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Arrow Video goes out of their way (though that they don't always get everything right) to make sure each release receives a quality A/V presentation with a nice selection of special features. I would say the other boutique labels, including Scream Factory, mostly dump whatever they get from the studios directly on the disc.
Old 11-14-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I've probably been happiest with MOC/Eureka for consistent quality. Off topic, but I don't remember ever getting low quality Criterion, either.
Old 11-15-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Arrow Video goes out of their way (though that they don't always get everything right) to make sure each release receives a quality A/V presentation with a nice selection of special features. I would say the other boutique labels, including Scream Factory, mostly dump whatever they get from the studios directly on the disc.
Don't get me started on Shout because I'm no apologist! Some of the Collector's sets are really nice, but I think they've lost their mind on the pricing. I love how Arrow called them out when they announced they were coming to NA, but I do have to admit Shout has gotten much better since then.
Old 11-15-17, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Don't get me started on Shout because I'm no apologist! Some of the Collector's sets are really nice, but I think they've lost their mind on the pricing. I love how Arrow called them out when they announced they were coming to NA, but I do have to admit Shout has gotten much better since then.
Yeah, even though I own a lot of Shout stuff, it's only because I don't really have an option when it comes to John Carpenter's classic movies (translation, my favorite movies of all time) like the Thing, Fog and Escape from NY. Oh and all of the Darkman movies too. Occasionally, they will put out a good transfer or two, but it's just frustrating because I know in the hands of somebody else, I'd be much happier.
Old 11-15-17, 02:02 PM

Getting back to the deals, received an email from Twilight Time (not Screenarchives) with a stock alert/update and pricing at TT. If some of these are gone from Screenarchives, TT might be the last option to get them (unless there are other region alternatives)

Fewer Than 200 Copies Remaining:

$9.99
BANDIT QUEEN

$14.95
THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
ROLLERBALL (ENCORE EDITION)
MURPHY'S LAW
REMAINS OF THE DAY
HAWAII
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF / SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER

Fewer Than 100 Copies Remaining:

$9.95
FLAMING STAR
THE FANTASTICS
APRIL LOVE

$14.95
CAT BALLOU
I COULD GO ON SINGING
THEATRE OF BLOOD
HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE
THE TRAIN (ENCORE EDITION)
HOMBRE
LA BAMBOLA DI SATANA (THE DOLL OF SATAN)
THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT

$19.95
MISSISSIPPI BURNING

Fewer Than 50 Copies Remaining:

$9.95
CHE!
SAVE YOUR LEGS
SOLOMON AND SHEBA
THE FORTUNE
TWILIGHT SAMURAI

$14.95
U-TURN
STORMY WEATHER
THE HAWAIIANS
9 TO 5

$24.95
GUN FURY
Old 11-15-17, 07:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem with these low stock alerts is they give no indication of how many may be in the SAE warehouse. Sure TT may have less than 50 Stormy Weathers...but for all we know, 100 or more could be sitting over at SAE. --Peter
Old 11-15-17, 09:04 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

How could gun fury be even close to selling out? They probably have a ton at Screen Archives.
Old 11-16-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Could be a marketing ploy: keep a deliberately low number of copies at TT so as to claim "sold out" status early on in order to drive sales -- especially among 3D junkies like myself -- at SAE while the disc is still fairly high-priced. I suppose it's almost working because I've been hovering over Gun Fury since that memo went out, unsure of whether to call their possibly non-existent bluff and wait for the next price drop.
Old 11-16-17, 01:49 AM
g

I bought Miss Sadie Thompson 3D last sale for 19.95 and now it's 14.95. So bet it will go down.
Old 11-16-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I'm confused about the higher price comment though since it's been extremely rare for SAE to be priced higher that TT itself. More times than not either TT runs the same sale as SAE or SAE has the bulk of the sale prices.
Not sure if this refers to my comment that Gun Fury "is still fairly high-priced", but it wasn't meant as a comparison between the two sites, but rather to note that the title is so new that it's still in the 'lowest discount' bracket at both sites. Thus TT's low-quantity alert on the title has me skeptical because, as noted, SAE gets the bulk of the copies anyway, but on the other hand 3D aficionados are fast learning not to procrastinate these days, and that alert could have them scrambling. First world problems! But since no similar alerts have been forthcoming from SAE (at least on social media) for the duration of the sale so far, I want to believe that there's still a healthy enough supply of the title in stock to hold off on a purchase until it hits $19.99. But who knows . . .
Old 01-02-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got an email announcing some new additions to the 7/$70 bundle deal, though they don't specify. I think it's these:

PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO
SOLOMON & SHEBA
THE VANISHING
THE FORTUNE (?)
ROOTS OF HEAVEN (?)
Old 01-04-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaaaaaaaand PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO sold out.
Old 01-04-18, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by izatright
Aaaaaaaaand PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO sold out.
It depends on the licensing but been noticing some Columbia titles resurfacing by way of Kino after being sold out at TT (Witness for the Prosecution, Inherit the Wind for e.g) Of course, Kino's sub-par presentations should be weathered
Old 01-16-18, 10:01 PM

From Screenarchives - they're trying their best to sell out these titles

A SPECIAL TWILIGHT TIME SALE! 15 TITLES FOR 15 DAYS! $6.95 each! The Sale begins Wednesday, January 17th at 4pm Eastern and ends Thursday, February 1st at 4pm Eastern. Orders must be placed during the sale period to obtain the sale pricing. No past, currently pending or future orders will qualify.

ANGEL
AUDREY ROSE
BANDIT QUEEN
THE BELIEVERS
CARLA'S SONG
FATHERLAND
FEVER PITCH
THE FIRM
MINDWARP
A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY
RESURRECTED
RIFF-RAFF / RAINING STONES
RITA, SUE AND BOB TOO
SAVE YOUR LEGS
THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA
Old 01-16-18, 10:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Save Your Legs is a fun movie and it's got a some substantial bonus features. --Peter
Old 01-16-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Damn $6.95 .Too bad I own most of these movies already.
I see a lot of English/UK movies($24.95) that do not include subtitles.
Still going to buy 4 or 5 tittles. thanks
Old 01-16-18, 11:44 PM
g

Really not much of a sale. Most if not all of these were in their choose 7 for 70 dollars bundle sale for the last several months.
Old 01-17-18, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by g
Really not much of a sale. Most if not all of these were in their choose 7 for 70 dollars bundle sale for the last several months.
that's $3 less per title making it 30% cheaper AND not subjecting you to purchase ar least 7 titles. It is a great offer indeed for those that don't have these titles
Old 01-17-18, 08:13 AM

Perhaps Fatherland, Save Your Legs and maybe Secret of Santa Vittoria. I dunno, I love TT's stuff but I feel like I'm digging along the bottom of the barrel (more than usual).
Old 01-17-18, 03:03 PM

Perhaps Fatherland, Save Your Legs and maybe Secret of Santa Vittoria. I dunno, I love TT's stuff but I feel like I'm digging along the bottom of the barrel (more than usual).
It's live . I dunno, at second thought I probably won't get any of these, just not feeling it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.