Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply within

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply within

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Re: Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply wit

Deck Nine games has confirmed to PlayStation Trophies and Xbox Achievements that the game's three episodes will clock in at around 'six to nine hours' depending on the player, with each episode lasting between two to three hours.

A PR representative for Square Enix has also informed us that the game has been built from the ground up in a brand new engine. Called StoryForge, the new engine has been made specifically for the Before The Storm by Deck Nine games, and directly addresses the animation and graphical issues of the first title in the series.
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...ed-Engine.html
Old 07-07-17, 12:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply wit

Superposition: The Genre of Life is Strange
Heavy spoilers throughout!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/19xgdLF5agU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think I'm more fond of the game as a whole than this guy, but his analysis is really interesting.
Old 07-18-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TZLxrwy_1aY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-25-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

So just finished going though this, since it was free I figured I'd give it a shot. Overall I'd rate it C+/B-.

I did really enjoy the story, but the game elements were pretty shitty to be honest.

- 90% of the puzzles were so basic, that it's an insult to actual puzzles to refer to them as puzzles
- So the few more difficult puzzles seemed really out of place. (i'm looking at you "piecing together clues on the board puzzle")
- The stealthy part near the end (avoiding all those people with flashlights) pissed me off so much I almost quit. It is making me not recommend my roommate try this game, I know he would never put up with that bullshit.
- Graphics kinda blew. I know they weren't going for photorealism, but damn, some of those graphics look practically PS2 level. (most notably the hairdos). Graphic glitches annoyed me too (There were instances where Max was talking to someone, but her mouth wasn't moving.)
- Pretty slow ... As much as going through this again to try to see how different choices would change the game, the overall pace of the game prevents me from actually doing that. (I had the same issue with Until Dawn)
- There were a number of times that people mentioned something, where I had no clue what they were talking about. Almost like the game thought I saw a clue that I didn't? I'm not sure, it was just weird. I know for sure there was a part during the "Previously on Life is Strange" recap, where they showed a conversation I KNOW I didn't have.

like I said, COOL story though. I do wonder if those different choices REALLY change the story, or just change small details about the story.

I think it they would have been better off taking the puzzle elements out completely, and having it just be an interactive story.
Old 07-25-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TZLxrwy_1aY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I don't know about this. I have always hated prequels simply because their outcome is set in stone and I'm not that interested in filler backstory. In addition, that gal they have hired to play Chloe, while close, still sounds wrong. Also I was never all that fascinated by the Chloe-Rachel dynamic anyway. Stoner-lesbians/bisexuals who find themselves as victims.
I will be passing on the pre-order discount and instead waiting on some reviews.
Old 07-25-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joeblow69
So just finished going though this, since it was free I figured I'd give it a shot. Overall I'd rate it C+/B-.

I did really enjoy the story, but the game elements were pretty shitty to be honest.

- 90% of the puzzles were so basic, that it's an insult to actual puzzles to refer to them as puzzles
- So the few more difficult puzzles seemed really out of place. (i'm looking at you "piecing together clues on the board puzzle")
- The stealthy part near the end (avoiding all those people with flashlights) pissed me off so much I almost quit. It is making me not recommend my roommate try this game, I know he would never put up with that bullshit.
- Graphics kinda blew. I know they weren't going for photorealism, but damn, some of those graphics look practically PS2 level. (most notably the hairdos). Graphic glitches annoyed me too (There were instances where Max was talking to someone, but her mouth wasn't moving.)
- Pretty slow ... As much as going through this again to try to see how different choices would change the game, the overall pace of the game prevents me from actually doing that. (I had the same issue with Until Dawn)
- There were a number of times that people mentioned something, where I had no clue what they were talking about. Almost like the game thought I saw a clue that I didn't? I'm not sure, it was just weird. I know for sure there was a part during the "Previously on Life is Strange" recap, where they showed a conversation I KNOW I didn't have.

like I said, COOL story though. I do wonder if those different choices REALLY change the story, or just change small details about the story.

I think it they would have been better off taking the puzzle elements out completely, and having it just be an interactive story.
you forgot to answer!

Did you kiss Chloe?
Did you kill the plant in your room by over or under watering it?
Did you Hug, Kiss, Diss or Fuck Warren!?
Old 07-25-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the asking the important questions, Dan is obviously a slacker.
Old 07-25-17, 10:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I was going to ask hours ago, then thought, "nah, these guys must think that routine is getting old!"

joeblow69,
Spoiler:
Your choices will affect some later parts of the story, but not in truly massive ways... Some stuff is more subtle than others. The biggest one e is the last choice at the very end, and also whether or not you manage to save Kate. Did she jump off the roof in yours?

Also, stuff like whether or not you accidentally kill the dog affects a part where you need that trailer dude's help again.

Most choices affect your relationships and how characters talk to you more than changing the story itself.

Last edited by Dan; 07-25-17 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 10:35 PM

You know, I kissed Chloe the first time, then rewound to see what would happen if Max politely declined. Chloe said "I bet you kissed me already then rewound time to tell me you didn't". Since she was exactly right, I just let it be with a chuckle. Then I found out that I was counted in the sub-20% who didn't officially kiss Chloe.
Old 07-26-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Did you kiss Chloe?
Did you kill the plant in your room by over or under watering it?
Did you Hug, Kiss, Diss or Fuck Warren!?
Spoiler:

I kissed Chloe, didn't even notice the plant, and kissed Warren
Kate died, and I sacrificed Chloe at the end
Frank got shot in the leg, that one section drove me nuts, trying to get out of it without Frank dying.
Old 07-26-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Speaking of the Frank section, check this out joeblow and be amazed:

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This is kind of neat, a flow chart for all the possible outcomes for a scene in Episode 4. Spoilers.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/04/th...fe-is-strange/
Check out the whole chart/image in the link. It's astounding.
Old 08-03-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Waypoint asked the question about the prequel that you're all surely wondering.

How many times will people say hella in the game?

Garriss: Oof. [pause] Uh.

Is there a hella count? Like, is there a board somewhere saying "Life Is Strange requires a bare minimum of 10 hellas."

Garriss: We're being very deliberate with that. In a way, yes. But I don't want to answer the number. I'm being really uncooperative here.
Old 08-21-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I might be the only one here playing on PC, but Green Man Gaming has it for 25% off right now. Both regular and deluxe editions. They have 10% off on PS4 too.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/de/ga...eluxe-edition/
Old 08-21-17, 04:05 PM

^ I wonder how that Green Man Gaming "Pre-Purchase" works for PS4. Specifically will you get the pre-order bonuses for pre-ordering it this way? Also will it be for NA Playstation? The check-out screen is all in German.
Old 08-21-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
^ I wonder how that Green Man Gaming "Pre-Purchase" works for PS4. Specifically will you get the pre-order bonuses for pre-ordering it this way? Also will it be for NA Playstation? The check-out screen is all in German.
Yeah i'm not sure. I've used the site a few times for PC games, and they basically send a Steam key a few days or a week before the game's release.

The check out screen was German for me too, but there's a little floating bar at the bottom to change it back to english.
Old 08-21-17, 04:23 PM

I wouldn't risk it on the PS4 side. Chance it's a code for EU PSN (that is a distinction that they don't make with Steam codes). Not worth it to save $2.50.

I'm going to wait for a sale. Also not at all sure what the Max Bonus Episode is. Could be really brief and shitty as far as we know at this point. It's a big ask on the PSN Store for an additional $8 the Deluxe Edition with its 'bonus episode".
Old 08-21-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh definitely, I don't know enough about PSN to risk it either.

As for the bonus episode, it's Max so it's an easy sell for me
Old 08-21-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Do we know if this is actually going to be episodic or are they just dumping the whole thing on there on 8/31?
Old 08-30-17, 11:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Three episodes plus the bonus Max episode if you get the deluxe version.

First episode is released tonight on Xbox One, and tomorrow pretty much everywhere else.

Old 08-30-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll wait for (hopefully) a physical disc release.
Old 08-31-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Awesome.

Old 08-31-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 08-31-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Haha that is great!
Old 08-31-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reviews for episode 1 trickling out. Some good, some average.

4.5/5 - http://www.gamesradar.com/life-is-st...-storm-review/
6.5/10 - http://www.dualshockers.com/life-is-...isode-1-awake/
4.5/5 - http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/08...-awake/270107/
3/5 - http://www.trustedreviews.com/review...fore-the-storm
Old 08-31-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Is that from this game, or from South Park?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.