Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,906 Posts
Re: The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Was there a version of "Creatures of the Night" released with Vinnie on tne cover? I did a google image search and some photographs of LPs with Vinnie on the cover showed up. I think they were described as coming from Brazil. Bootlegs? Customs? Some kind of limited release deal?

I use the Vinnie Vincent version of the cover on my MP3s since the Vinnie make-up was never included on any cover.

And, speaking of Vinnie's make-up, what was his character's name? Most places online seem to refer to him as "Ankh Warrior," (or just The Warrior) but when I was in grade school everyone called him "Guitar Wizard."
Old 10-01-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Ace was still officially in the band when this came out; he's in the video for "We Love it Loud," but I think Vinnie Vincent recorded most of guitar tracks. I don't think Ace played on it all.
Yeah, for contractual reasons, Ace still did promo work with KISS for this album's release, including the "I Love It Loud" video, and some lip synced TV appearances in Europe. But he did not appear on the album itself at all, the guitar work was mostly Paul, Vinnie and some session guitarists. The album was really a hodgepodge of performances and it has been rather difficult to determine who exactly did what on each song.

Was there a version of "Creatures of the Night" released with Vinnie on tne cover? I did a google image search and some photographs of LPs with Vinnie on the cover showed up. I think they were described as coming from Brazil. Bootlegs? Customs? Some kind of limited release deal?
The Vinnie Creatures cover is definitely fake, but has sometimes been sold as an official Brazilian "import". It is not.
Old 10-01-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Oops and correction: the bad blood was still with Ace. Vinnie lasted for one record - Lick It Up.
Old 10-03-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first saw this was bumped, I thought how in the hell did someone not be embarrassed to be a Kiss fan until now? Then I saw the thread was started 15 years ago and it made sense. Definitely some killer songs, but Gene just went way over the top with all of the gimmicks and crap they licensed.
Old 10-03-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cover with Eric and Ace is the only official original cover, but I can tell you that many very good quality bootleg "Vinnie/Ankh Warrior" versions existed back in the day. I distinctly remember the huge Kiss fan I knew growing up having a copy that he purchased at an "import" record store. Couldn't have looked more legit. And this was long before an individual could mock up quality looking printings themselves. He also had a copy of Killers (I didn't), which I believe actually did have official release internationally.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 01-09-18 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
He also had a copy of Killers (I didn't), which I believe actually did have official release internationally.
Yeah, that one is totally official, and for completists, the European, Australian and Japanese versions of Killers all have slightly different track lists (I have the Japanese CD).
Old 01-09-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 01-09-18, 06:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What was the video? It's not available now.
Old 01-10-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MANBREASTS
What was the video? It's not available now.
Old 01-10-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts

Was there a version of "Creatures of the Night" released with Vinnie on tne cover?
There was also a post-makeup cover released with Bruce Kulick.

Old 01-11-18, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
What a bunch of sad, washed up losers.

I always love when Gene brings up all the bands they took out on their first tours because without exception they're all bands that are better and more successful than KISS.
Old 01-11-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
What a bunch of sad, washed up losers.

I always love when Gene brings up all the bands they took out on their first tours because without exception they're all bands that are better and more successful than KISS.

Artistic merit aside -- opening up for the band in those days was one of the biggest platforms a band could get. Hell, even when they were on the Pyscho Circus tour - they had Rammstein open up for them in Mexico, etc. That's pretty dope. Do I think it's crass that Gene brings it up all the time? Meh, I'm over it.

Gene also discovered Van Halen - never forget that shit. I'm not even a Van Halen fan. I do remember reading that Dokken was the showcase headliner that night and Van Halen opened up for them and after Gene saw VH he called it a night and did not stay for Dokken.
Old 01-11-18, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Thank You for posting it!
Old 01-11-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how Tommy just stands there hoping not to be included in all that,
Old 01-11-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Ok, Paul is becoming the cranky old man telling everyone to get off his lawn.

And?

They still wrote a ton of great songs and put on some amazing live shows.
Old 01-11-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

And?

Their songs are shit as are their live shows. Sure, they put on a "spectacle", but I don't give a fuck - I'm at a concert for MUSIC and I want to see some musicians who know how to sing and play their instruments. Kiss is and has always been a clown show of hacks appealing to the least discerning rock fan.
Old 01-12-18, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

Their songs are shit as are their live shows. Sure, they put on a "spectacle", but I don't give a fuck - I'm at a concert for MUSIC and I want to see some musicians who know how to sing and play their instruments. Kiss is and has always been a clown show of hacks appealing to the least discerning rock fan.
Well, that's one view. Not an accurate one, but it's a view.
Old 01-12-18, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm somewhere in the middle. KISS put out a handful of really good albums in their first 10 years as a band, all of which fall short of being truly great. They haven't released a good album in about 35 years. And in that 35 years they've managed to turn themselves into the biggest punchline in music history. I saw them on New Years Eve 2000 when I was 16 and they were nothing special live. Even then I could recognise that they were basically a nostalgia act. I don't know when they were a great live act, but I assume it was a long time before that. And to top it all off, all 4 original members are fucking scumbags.

And to follow up, all the bands they brought out on the road that Gene brags about, they're all better than KISS. Rush, ACDC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden. At their best they all blow KISS out of the water. Both on record and live.
Old 01-12-18, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Artistic merit aside -- opening up for the band in those days was one of the biggest platforms a band could get. Hell, even when they were on the Pyscho Circus tour - they had Rammstein open up for them in Mexico, etc. That's pretty dope. Do I think it's crass that Gene brings it up all the time? Meh, I'm over it.

Gene also discovered Van Halen - never forget that shit. I'm not even a Van Halen fan. I do remember reading that Dokken was the showcase headliner that night and Van Halen opened up for them and after Gene saw VH he called it a night and did not stay for Dokken.
I'm not discrediting Gene for taking any of these bands out or discovering Van Halen, I'm just saying they are all better than KISS.
Old 01-12-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm somewhere in the middle. KISS put out a handful of really good albums in their first 10 years as a band, all of which fall short of being truly great. They haven't released a good album in about 35 years. And in that 35 years they've managed to turn themselves into the biggest punchline in music history....

...And to follow up, all the bands they brought out on the road that Gene brags about, they're all better than KISS. Rush, ACDC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden. At their best they all blow KISS out of the water. Both on record and live.
Old 01-12-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,906 Posts

I'm somewhere in the middle. KISS put out a handful of really good albums in their first 10 years as a band, all of which fall short of being truly great. They haven't released a good album in about 35 years.
"Revenge" was good.
Old 01-12-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts

And?

Agree 100%.

Well, that's one view. Not an accurate one, but it's a view.
Agree to that as well. For the shit that passes for fucking music today they are GODS…Their influence on other bands is amazing. All the great rock that came because they inspired so many to play music.
Old 01-12-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I disagree. Their shows along with Rammstein's are the best live shows I've been to, because they entertain as much as they play their music. I'm no snob. I also don't give a fuck about mosh pits or having some drunk person land on me. I paid my hard earned money to watch a show, not get hit.
Old 01-12-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Revenge" was good.

I agree with that. It was their last great album.
Old 01-13-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts

Also that video was from 6 fucking years ago. Way to bring up something recent.

Sonic Boom was their last great album. That rocked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.