Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-01-17, 03:44 AM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Was there a version of "Creatures of the Night" released with Vinnie on tne cover? I did a google image search and some photographs of LPs with Vinnie on the cover showed up. I think they were described as coming from Brazil. Bootlegs? Customs? Some kind of limited release deal?

I use the Vinnie Vincent version of the cover on my MP3s since the Vinnie make-up was never included on any cover.

And, speaking of Vinnie's make-up, what was his character's name? Most places online seem to refer to him as "Ankh Warrior," (or just The Warrior) but when I was in grade school everyone called him "Guitar Wizard."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 10-01-17, 10:37 AM   #77
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Ace was still officially in the band when this came out; he's in the video for "We Love it Loud," but I think Vinnie Vincent recorded most of guitar tracks. I don't think Ace played on it all.
Yeah, for contractual reasons, Ace still did promo work with KISS for this album's release, including the "I Love It Loud" video, and some lip synced TV appearances in Europe. But he did not appear on the album itself at all, the guitar work was mostly Paul, Vinnie and some session guitarists. The album was really a hodgepodge of performances and it has been rather difficult to determine who exactly did what on each song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Was there a version of "Creatures of the Night" released with Vinnie on tne cover? I did a google image search and some photographs of LPs with Vinnie on the cover showed up. I think they were described as coming from Brazil. Bootlegs? Customs? Some kind of limited release deal?
The Vinnie Creatures cover is definitely fake, but has sometimes been sold as an official Brazilian "import". It is not.
Old 10-01-17, 06:14 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Oops and correction: the bad blood was still with Ace. Vinnie lasted for one record - Lick It Up.
Old 10-03-17, 09:25 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

When I first saw this was bumped, I thought how in the hell did someone not be embarrassed to be a Kiss fan until now? Then I saw the thread was started 15 years ago and it made sense. Definitely some killer songs, but Gene just went way over the top with all of the gimmicks and crap they licensed.
Old 10-03-17, 09:39 AM   #80
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The cover with Eric and Ace is the only official original cover, but I can tell you that many very good quality bootleg "Vinnie/Ankh Warrior" versions existed back in the day. I distinctly remember the huge Kiss fan I knew growing up having a copy that he purchases at an "import" record store. Couldn't have looked more legit. And this was long before an individual could mock up quality looking printings themselves. He also had a copy of Killers (I didn't), which I believe actually did have official release internationally.
Old 10-04-17, 02:39 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
He also had a copy of Killers (I didn't), which I believe actually did have official release internationally.
Yeah, that one is totally official, and for completists, the European, Australian and Japanese versions of Killers all have slightly different track lists (I have the Japanese CD).