Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Prince dead at 57. RIP

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I know it was a B side since it was on that greatest hits album from 1993 which I ignored since I owned most of the records from the 80's and then discovered last week that it had B Sides and downloaded them off Itunes.
Did you ever un-ignore it? If not, you missed several other unreleased songs from the first two discs, not just the third B-sides disc. It was a good purchase.

How about the Vault discs he put out, Chaos and Disorder, and Old Friends 4 Sale? Technically not "unreleased" stuff, since they were released, but it was stuff he only put out to complete his obligation with WB. Turned out to have some really good stuff on them.
Old 05-01-16, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Prince is out there somewhere smiling. Everyone would have streamed the hell out of his albums the last few weeks but instead people are buying physical copies. Hell, I grabbed a few of his CDs out of my collection and I can't remember the last time I did that.

I won't fill in the gaps in my collection like some, so have to admit it's sad I can't dig into some of his lesser albums on Spotify.
Old 05-01-16, 07:25 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I was checking Camel and Amazon raised the price of most of Prince's catalog by around 30% immediately after his death. I guess I can't blame them, they need to keep their stock price up, supply/demand, etc.
Old 05-01-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Really, CDs?

I have bunch of digi-bootlegs, too, but... Maybe if you burned them I suppose.
What would be cds lol. it's not the 90's afterall. I do have nearly 70 actual bootlegs but I stopped buying them they were like $30 each back in the day before the internet. So yes my collection is in digital form mostly.

I have all the official cds and remixes too bought legit its just why bother getting em out to play I play only the digital versions now. I have all the HDtrack versions and all albums in flac. I have my entire Prince bootleg collection uploaded to my google music, which holds 50,000 tracks so it is always with me if needed.
Old 05-01-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

The 1999 CD was $3.99 at Best Buy last week but not anymore.

I think Around the World in A Day is $4.99 and Purple Rain is $10.99 since it is his best selling album and they want to jack up the price.

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Did you ever un-ignore it? If not, you missed several other unreleased songs from the first two discs, not just the third B-sides disc. It was a good purchase.

How about the Vault discs he put out, Chaos and Disorder, and Old Friends 4 Sale? Technically not "unreleased" stuff, since they were released, but it was stuff he only put out to complete his obligation with WB. Turned out to have some really good stuff on them.
I admit I did not listen to Prince that much during the 90's and dropped out for a while.

I bought the older albums before Purple Rain when i got older and had the money.

Don't know why I did not buy Around the World in a Day LP back in 1986. That is a great album.

Maybe I asked my mom to buy it or lost interest and saved my allowance money to buy some crappy rap album.

A article from his chef

Prince began wanting meals that were easier to digest and was fighting off waves of sore throats and frequent upset stomachs, the musician's personal chef told The Associated Press.

Ray Roberts, who cooked for Prince nearly every day for almost three years, said in an interview that wasn't the man he saw nearly every night, "not even a hint. Not at all." But Roberts did start noticing changes in Prince's diet — he was eating less and drinking less water, and looked like he was losing weight.

It felt like he wasn't himself probably the last month or two," said Roberts. "I think he was just struggling with being sick a lot."

Prince, who didn't eat meat, normally loved foods like roasted beets and minestrone soup with a harissa chermoula, an herb sauce from North Africa. In recent months, Roberts said, as Prince would have sore throats or seem like he wasn't feeling well for "weeks at a time," he would prefer smoothies and fresh juices to soothe his throat or stomach.

Stomach and throat ailments aren't unusual in a stubbornly cold Minnesota winter, and to the public, there was little to suggest something was amiss.

Roberts and his wife began cooking for Prince in 2013 after an informal tryout with several other chefs, and he made all his meals for the musician in the restaurant-grade kitchen at Paisley Park.

Most of the time, Roberts would make light salads and soups — he said Prince particularly liked the roasted beets as well as a pesto broccolini dish. When the artist was gearing up for more shows and wanted to be more active, Roberts would scale back the sweets.

As for meat, there was none of it.

"I don't know if it was just an unwritten rule, but there was no meat there — ever," he said. "If somebody wanted to eat meat, they would have to eat it in the parking lot. And he was very serious about this."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20160501
Old 05-01-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The 1999 CD was $3.99 at Best Buy last week but not anymore.

I think Around the World in A Day is $4.99 and Purple Rain is $10.99 since it is his best selling album and they want to jack up the price.
I'd hold off on buying any of these albums right now. I'd guarantee that there will be nice new remastered, deluxe-editions with bonus tracks and stuff of all his major albums within a year or two.
Old 05-01-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Or, the estate will be tied up in legal wrangling for years to come, which is my worry. I can't believe he didn't leave a will, especially since he wasn't married or had children.
Old 05-02-16, 03:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Prince is out there somewhere smiling. Everyone would have streamed the hell out of his albums the last few weeks but instead people are buying physical copies. Hell, I grabbed a few of his CDs out of my collection and I can't remember the last time I did that.

I won't fill in the gaps in my collection like some, so have to admit it's sad I can't dig into some of his lesser albums on Spotify.
Streaming service Tidal is supposed to have close to if not all his released stuff, so I've read. $20 a month for the premium service, so not cheap, but service touts having lossless audio, and I'm sure it sounds great.
Old 05-02-16, 05:24 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe what I mean't to say is you don't see a lot of dead artists have a second career with unreleased music hitting the billboard top ten with the masses buying and those songs staying on the charts for years after that person or entity died.
Bob Marley, 2 Pac, Nirvana, Elvis, there are many examples.
Old 05-03-16, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes but that is mostly their old catalog.

It is going be almost 2 weeks since he passed this Thurs and still hard to believe we live in a world where he does not exist anymore and hard to believe there is a thread in the music forum about his death.

He should have died maybe 40 years from now away from the public eye and spotlight and of natural causes.

So lucky we were living during the time where he entertained us with his awesome music.
Old 05-03-16, 07:12 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Streaming service Tidal is supposed to have close to if not all his released stuff, so I've read. $20 a month for the premium service, so not cheap, but service touts having lossless audio, and I'm sure it sounds great.
I'm doing a month free trial, and yes, it indeed sounds great.
Old 05-03-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Billboard 200 today. Amazing!

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200
Old 05-03-16, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy
Check out the Billboard 200 today. Amazing!

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200
Out of the top ten, five albums are Prince's. Even if most are "best of" albums, that's still very impressive. He may have been called Prince, but the dude was a King.
Old 05-03-16, 09:55 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Out of the top ten, five albums are Prince's. Even if most are "best of" albums, that's still very impressive. He may have been called Prince, but the dude was a King.
Old 05-03-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Does that Billboard chart apply only to new CD/LP sales or does it include digital downloads and subscription listening? Interesting how there's so much older stuff on it, it wasn't like that back in the 80s when I actively checked those charts.
Old 05-03-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Does that Billboard chart apply only to new CD/LP sales or does it include digital downloads and subscription listening? Interesting how there's so much older stuff on it, it wasn't like that back in the 80s when I actively checked those charts.
Billboard recently changed to incorporate streaming.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...digital-tracks
Old 05-03-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

... which is total bs. Streaming music is passive as compared to someone actually going out and buying a physical piece of media.

This is how Adele "sold" so many copies of her new album for the first few weeks. For every ten streams of her single, it counts as one album sale. That is incredibly weak support for sales numbers.
Old 05-03-16, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
... which is total bs. Streaming music is passive as compared to someone actually going out and buying a physical piece of media.

This is how Adele "sold" so many copies of her new album for the first few weeks. For every ten streams of her single, it counts as one album sale. That is incredibly weak support for sales numbers.
Every ten streams of a single counts as an album sale? I'd like to see the source for that claim. I thought a streamed single might make a few pennies. People buy music digitally, they're not all streamers.
Old 05-03-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here you go:

http://musicians.about.com/od/qz/g/t...lentalbums.htm
Old 05-03-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Adele did not allow her album to be streamed, as she wanted people to buy the full album, so she did indeed "sell" that many copies. I believe the change to the charts was done after her album released as well. (And the change may have had something to do with her bypassing streaming outlets to encourage sales.)

(Edit: Yes, 25 by Adele was released two weeks before this change was done.)
Old 05-03-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

There's so much old music on the charts because mostly only old people still buy music.
Old 05-03-16, 01:02 PM

It states sales of tracks, not streams. Maybe I'm not understanding your definition, but to me that link is talking about sales of single tracks, which isn't passive at all. You have to actively buy a single still. Music services like Apple Music, Rhapsody, etc., don't count in this scenario.
Old 05-03-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
There's so much old music on the charts because mostly only old people still buy music.
I am trying to figure out why "Life After Death" by Notorious B.I.G. was 32 last week and 76 this week. Very odd!

Oh, duh, probably has to do with the streaming change. Looks like full hip hop albums are pretty popular.
Old 05-03-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It states sales of tracks, not streams. Maybe I'm not understanding your definition, but to me that link is talking about sales of single tracks, which isn't passive at all. You have to actively buy a single still. Music services like Apple Music, Rhapsody, etc., don't count in this scenario.
Sorry, that link didn't include all the info I was looking for. Here's a better one:

http://pitchfork.com/news/57539-bill...d-album-chart/

Basically, 1500 streams of a song counts as a full album sale.
Old 05-03-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Controversy and Dirty Mind are ranked #55 and #56 on the Billboard charts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.