Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: RIP Ronnie James Dio

I'm going to be the odd man out and say I think Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow is not terribly good outside of "Man On The Silver Mountain." Rainbow Rising, however, is a hard rock classic that should be heard by any fan of rock and roll. Love Live Rock 'n' Roll is also excellent.

Heaven and Hell and The Mob Rules are both mandatory, imo. An amazing one-two punch that comprise the last two set of great songs Tony Iommi ever wrote. Dehumanizer is good, but not amazing.

Of Dio's solo career, I think everything after The Last In Line shows a dip in quality. Check out Holy Diver, which is an out and out metal classic, then The Last In Line. If you are in love with those, go further.
Old 05-17-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
He was also a class act who always treated those who loved his music with respect and kindness.

His loss is immesurable. He was a giant.

R.I.P. Ronnie. You will be greatly missed.
I think this is a very important part of his legacy. He genuinely liked and appreciated his fans, and always seemed to enjoy interacting with them.( In marked contrast to a genuine cocksucker like Steven Pearcy.)

He embodied the phrase "class act", and has left a hole in the music community that will remain forever empty.
Old 05-17-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just posted by Tony Iommi on his site:

Yesterday 16th May my dear, dear friend Ronnie James Dio passed away at 7.45am LA time. I’ve been in total shock I just can’t believe he’s gone. Ronnie was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, we had some fantastic times together. Ronnie loved what he did, making music and performing on stage. He loved his fans so much. He was a kind man and would put himself out to help others. I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever. Our thoughts are with Wendy Dio who stood by Ronnie until the end, he loved her very much. The man with the magic voice is a star amongst stars, a true professional. I’ll miss you so much my dear friend. RIP - Tony
Old 05-17-10, 01:24 PM

If Saint Valentine and Saint Patrick have days dedicated to them, then so should the almighty Dio.

From this year forward, July 10 will be officially known as Saint Dio Day to the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal community.
Old 05-17-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Brian May:
It's a shock to hear that Ronnie has gone. Even though we had all known he was battling with cancer for some time, he was such a wiry fighter, and of such an amazingly optimistic nature, I think I assumed he would go on forever.

Well, he fought to the very end ... was gearing up to go back out on tour ... I know this will be a very hard blow for my friend Tony Iommi. When I last saw Ronnie in Los Angeles, he was as full of life and positivity as anybody I've ever known ... and sang up a storm with Heaven and Hell in the Universal Amphitheatre. In my opinion, Ronnie was one of the creators of the genre of Heavy Metal. I'm not an expert on his work - there are many people much more knowledgeable than me ... but our paths crossed many times over the years, and I had clear glimpses of his unique spirit and personality. He was in many ways the antithesis of the current mould of TV-bred singers. He had no apparent desire for fame, in the sense that so many X-factor contestants seem to. He was not a TV face, a 'celebrity'. He just loved doing what he did. So, to his millions of fans, there was an unquestionable feeling of reality to his persona, his song-writing, and his performances. His lyric-writing was very distinctive, and set a style in Heavy Metal which has influenced many bands over the years. To me, it was as if his mind operated in layers - on the surface, a hard-working honest singer, with a great humanity and strong sense of humour - and underneath, in the world of his songs, his subconscious seemed to be populated by hobgoblins of all kinds, and palpable evil forever on the march. His lyrics, dark and mysterious, in tune with the Metal ethos, always represented the sword of goodness in triumph over evil. I don't know if he invented the Devil-Horn Salute, but he was certainly the man who, more than ever, made it a universal symbol, a world wide salute of Metal. He was universally loved in the community of Rock Music, and will be sorely missed.

Check him out live here, singing the song which epitomised the branch of Black Sabbath which was Dio - Heaven and Hell.

RIP Ronnie.

Bri
http://www.brianmay.com
Old 05-17-10, 04:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I get Yahoo News/CNN Breaking News alerts and neither one mentioned the passing of Ronnie James Dio but if someone farted in Turkey-I get 50 news alerts. Any word on comments from Ozzy Osbourrne about Ronnie's death?
Actually Fox news and CNN HL news both did a short segment on his passing (and Fox even played some music before a commercial break).
Old 05-17-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I get Yahoo News/CNN Breaking News alerts and neither one mentioned the passing of Ronnie James Dio but if someone farted in Turkey-I get 50 news alerts. Any word on comments from Ozzy Osbourrne about Ronnie's death?
Here's some recent groundbreaking CNN News Alerts I've received:

-- Keli McGregor, president of Colorado Rockies baseball team, found dead in a Salt Lake City hotel today, police say.

-- A containment dome has been lowered into Gulf of Mexico at site of oil leak, says BP spokesman.

-- NYPD official: Suspicious package that prompted Times Square evacuation contained water bottles.
Old 05-17-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Listening to Eddie Trunk Live right now on Sirius/XM... a 4 hour tribute show to Dio. If you don't have Sirius, you can sign up for a 30 day free trial to listen on the Internet. Opened with a tribute and went straight into "Man on the Silver Mountain". It's heartening to see so many pay their respects. It's possible his friends and bandmates might be calling in.
Old 05-17-10, 05:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Love his vocals on an old Kerry Livgren (Kansas) tune, Mask of the Great Deceiver.
Old 05-17-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to meet Ronnie James Dio a few times over the years, and out the many musicians I've met, he was truly a class act. You couldn't ask to meet a nicer, more humble person. How he chose to conduct himself, especially when interacting with fans, could have been a lesson to all his peers. I'll miss you RJD. Thanks for all the great times and tunes! R.I.P.
Old 05-17-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

someone posted this on metalsetlists.com . Prob the only time you'll see Dio pissed off NSFW
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOwZBo8FQvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOwZBo8FQvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-17-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
someone posted this on metalsetlists.com . Prob the only time you'll see Dio pissed off NSFW
I remember when that surfaced. I thought, "Wow, how unlike Ronnie. He's usually so gracious, even when talking about Vivian (who has slammed Ronnie dozens of times over the years)."

As it turned out that particular incident occurred shortly after Vivian had come out and said some rather nasty, mean spirited things about Ronnie. Ronnie had had enough and vented.

He later apologized and said (and I'm paraphrasing) that even if he was really angry with some of the crap that Vivian was spewing he shouldn't have stooped to that level in public.

Drive time DJ and Music Director for 101.5 KGB in San Diego, Bryan Schock, just paid tribute to Ronnie only 15 minutes ago and reinforced what most of us know about Ronnie - that in all of his many meetings and interviews with Ronnie over the years he was always a gentleman. Kind, respectful, friendly, and appreciative - everything that every rock star should be. A class act.
Old 05-18-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I didn't know Glenn Beck posted on this forum! Hi Glenn!
That's T. Gorepez to you.
Old 05-18-10, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:104019" width="480" height="400" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" flashVars="autoPlay=false&dist=www.southparkstudios.com&orig=" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>
Old 05-18-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I remember when that surfaced. I thought, "Wow, how unlike Ronnie. He's usually so gracious, even when talking about Vivian (who has slammed Ronnie dozens of times over the years)."

As it turned out that particular incident occurred shortly after Vivian had come out and said some rather nasty, mean spirited things about Ronnie. Ronnie had had enough and vented.

He later apologized and said (and I'm paraphrasing) that even if he was really angry with some of the crap that Vivian was spewing he shouldn't have stooped to that level in public.
I'd never seen that video, and didn't know about the crap Vivian had said about him. Kinda surprised to see Dio say some of that stuff, but I understand how you can get frustrated when people are talking crap about you. Really impressed that he apologized though. Truly a class act in every way.
Old 05-18-10, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My tribute poem to RJD

By SkullOrchard.

Dio is dead and it makes me sad.
I already miss him, really really bad.
He was such a great singer
Much better than Winger.

Although he was small, he wasn't very tall.
He was little, not burly, and his hair was very curly.
He was married to Wendy, not a girl named Cindy.
And he kicked ass when he hit the stage
but he never played guitar like Jimmy Page.

Dio was in Sabbath and Rainbow too
But as far as I know, he never sniffed glue.
He was never in Deep Purple, but he knew Blackmore pretty good
Because he played a guitar that was carved out of wood.
Not cheap particle board crap made in China
By an underpaid Asian girl with an Oriental vagina.

Into the beyond Dio travels on a bad ass dragon
Much better a ride than an old station wagon
With a sword by his side, he'll slay all non believers
He'll cut off their dicks, and slash all their beavers.
In the land of tr00 Metal, the king shall never die
This poem is so awesome, it makes me cry.

The End.
Old 05-18-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
What mistake would that be?
I don't know. I keep seeing on posts on message boards (even from fans) making all these claims of satanism and evil overtones to Dio, but I never really associated him with the occult. There are a lot of fantasy overtones that can certainly be misinterpreted as satanic (hint: dragons don't really exist), and of course there's the whole "devils horns" which, as Dio explained in Metal: A Headbangers Journey was a sign to keep evil at bay he learned from his old world grandmother.

Dio's lyrics were overwhelmingly positive and empowering in nature. He may not have preaching the gospel, but he wasn't leading anyone to the gates of hell either.
Old 05-19-10, 12:38 AM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyIHlnAYazY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyIHlnAYazY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Talk about being disrespectful and just plain ignorant.
Old 05-19-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlyger
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyIHlnAYazY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyIHlnAYazY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Talk about being disrespectful and just plain ignorant.
I'm sure Dio made a stop in Hell, just remind them all how to properly rock, before heading up north.
Old 05-19-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Always a fan of Voodoo

Has there been a bump in his album sales?

I was hoping VH1 Classic would probably do a special on him if anyone has any inside info on any specials on his life and career or if there was a Behind the Music special done in the past.
Old 05-19-10, 08:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Has there been a bump in his album sales?
Methinks 'tis a tad early for any meaningful stats. On the other hand, maybe there is an online resource somewhere collating daily figures of this kind...
Old 05-19-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Those comments about Def Leppard are awesome...and correct.
Old 05-19-10, 09:32 AM

Maiden on Ronnie James Dio's Death

The band has issued the following statement following the death of heavy metal legend Ronnie James Dio:

“It is with huge sadness we hear that Ronnie has lost his battle against stomach cancer, and our heartfelt condolences go out to his wife Wendy and family at this terrible time. From his earlier years in Elf, Black Sabbath and Dio, right through to his most recent days fronting Heaven and Hell, Ronnie, time and again, proved his genius as a frontman, always giving his all to his fans and his music. Ronnie was not only an incredibly gifted singer but also a wonderfully warm, intelligent and generous person and this shone through both on and off stage leaving a positive mark on everyone he came into contact with. A longstanding friend of Maiden, we played many shows together over the years and we will all miss him greatly.

The world has lost an irreplaceable talent and, first and foremost, one of the finest human beings you could ever wish to meet.
Steve, Bruce, Adrian, Dave, Janick, Nicko and Rod “
Old 05-19-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister of MOTÖRHEAD has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio:

"I'm truly upset, especially since he seemed to be rallying at the Golden Gods show."

"Bon voyage, Ronnie. Rest in peace."

"I'm devastated."

Great photo, hard to look at...
Old 05-19-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/stars-honour-dio/
the one at the bottom is from Geezer Butler

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.