Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
7.14%
21.43%
7.14%
7.14%
35.71%
What are you high?
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,348 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Re: The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Old 02-28-17, 04:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,203 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Old 02-28-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
The accountants do have the right to bum rush the stage and stop everything if the wrong person/film is named. The fact that they didn't and let it go on for almost three minutes is a horrible blunder.
I read that the protocol was that both of them had to confer with each other first and move forward from there. I'm assuming they also took time to explain it to the stage manager.
Old 02-28-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxComet
That's just one of the many things that stood out. Forget the Trump jokes, the entire show including many of the awards were set up to push the Liberal agenda.

We'll start with Zootopia as you've mentioned above. Probably the weakest of the animated nominees but of course it won. The story uses animals to show the importance of racial tolerance.

The beloved musical La La Land loses to Moonlight? This would never happen any other year. The academy loves it's crappy musicals. They had to give the award to the film about the coming of age of a gay black male. The only thing that would have worked better would be if it was a gay, black immigrant.

Mahershala Ali of course wins best supporting actor for the same film although he was only in the movie for about the first 30-40 minutes.

Best Foreign Film - Of course a film from Iran is not only nominated but wins!
What could be better. The boycott of the director and an angry speech from one of his own.

I don't know much about "Makeup" awards but supposedly Suicide Squad winning was a big upset. Sure, why not. Let's get the Italians up there to include an immigrant mention in their speech.

Given that the show had it's worst ratings in nine years which was probably expected. You might argue that even the Best Picture screw up was staged to add a bit of publicity.
I was rooting for Kubo, but Zootopia was a very entertaining film. But sure, make it about a liberal agenda if you want.

And family films often come with life lessons or teaching moments.
Old 02-28-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
The accountants do have the right to bum rush the stage and stop everything if the wrong person/film is named. The fact that they didn't and let it go on for almost three minutes is a horrible blunder.
One of them was supposedly tweeting when they handed Beatty the wrong envelope. Perhaps they were still tweeting when the fiasco was unfolding?
Old 02-28-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow
Old 02-28-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

That's just one of the many things that stood out. Forget the Trump jokes, the entire show including many of the awards were set up to push the Liberal agenda.

We'll start with Zootopia as you've mentioned above. Probably the weakest of the animated nominees but of course it won. The story uses animals to show the importance of racial tolerance.

The beloved musical La La Land loses to Moonlight? This would never happen any other year. The academy loves it's crappy musicals. They had to give the award to the film about the coming of age of a gay black male. The only thing that would have worked better would be if it was a gay, black immigrant.
Zootopia and Ali were favored, and have won most of their awards up to this point. Best picture was also a toss up between La La Land and Moonlight since they both won at the Golden Globes and Moonlight was the highest rated/best reviewed movie of 2016.

Makeup wasn't a disappointment, it was just funny seeing Suicide Squad win an award.
Old 02-28-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
They also are pretty meaningless.
Agreed. I look at the Oscar's a bit of fun wrapped up in a lot of pageantry.

Originally Posted by robin2099
Five years later can anyone say who was Best Actress, Actor or picture without using Google? I sure can't.
I don't know about that. An Oscar buff like me could rattle off all kinds of Oscar statistic. And I can't be the only one, as Jeopardy has categories and Final Jeopardy questions about the Oscars all the time. Just last week the Final Question asked for the only sequel since The Godfather Part 2 to win best picture.
Old 02-28-17, 07:54 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Silence of the Lambs. That's a hard fucking question.

It's pretty debatable whether it's a sequel. The book is a sequel of a previous book, but no one involved in SOTL the film approached it as a sequel, it wasn't marketed as a sequel. I don't know if that's a fair question/answer.

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-01-17 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-28-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

It's pretty debatable whether it's a sequel. The book is a sequel of a previous book, but no one involved in SOTL the film approached it as a sequel, it wasn't marketed as a sequel. I don't know. If that's a fair question/answer.
Big explanation for the wrong answer

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the win!
Old 02-28-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Uh, Lord of the Rings Return of the King
Old 02-28-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,808 Likes on 1,930 Posts

It's pretty debatable whether it's a sequel. The book is a sequel of a previous book, but no one involved in SOTL the film approached it as a sequel, it wasn't marketed as a sequel. I don't know. If that's a fair question/answer.
Yeah... That's a horrible fucking question for Jeopardy.

I think Manhunter was kind of a flop, and at the time SOTL was only ever promoted as a standalone film. The production companies were different and they almost had to rename Hannibal Lecter and a few other characters who were in both novels. It's really difficult to see SOTL as any kind of sequel in any official sense.

Wait... would it be "Return of the King" and not "Silence of the Lambs?"

ETA: You guys beat me to ROTK while I was typing.
Old 02-28-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Big explanation for the wrong answer

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the win!
Originally Posted by sherm42
Uh, Lord of the Rings Return of the King
Old 02-28-17, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,274 Likes on 2,104 Posts

^ They didn't state their answer in the form of a question. Nobody gets points!
Old 02-28-17, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

Mahershala Ali of course wins best supporting actor for the same film although he was only in the movie for about the first 30-40 minutes.
apparently you're unfamiliar with the the term supporting actor.

What could be better. The boycott of the director and an angry speech from one of his own.
The Salesman was not only the best foreign film nominated, but the best film out of all the Best Picture nominees as well. It's easy to pull quotes like this out of your ass when you haven't seen any of the films.

I don't know much about "Makeup" awards but supposedly Suicide Squad winning was a big upset. Sure, why not. Let's get the Italians up there to include an immigrant mention in their speech.
You don't know much about anything, it seems.
Old 02-28-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Given that the show had it's worst ratings in nine years which was probably expected. You might argue that even the Best Picture screw up was staged to add a bit of publicity.
You forgot to mention that best lead actress went to an Asian woman.
Old 03-01-17, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm surpised at how many of my Trump friends/family boycotted the Oscars this year, so the low rating doesn't suprise me now. My mom who never misses an Oscars didn't watch it this year because they got too political at the Golden Globes so she knew it would only get worse at the Oscars.

I actually walked into work on Monday morning wanting to talk about the Best Picture screw-up and nobody knew about it cause nobody watched it. What's funny is the Anti-Trump rants is the reason I tuned in this year as I wanted to see how far they would go as I haven't honestly watched an Oscar Show since Return of the King 2004. I forgot how pretentious these people really are (especially the Best Supporting Women Actress who said ONLY actors celebrate life or some bullshit like that). They make it so hard to root for them that I was actually happy with the Best Picture fuckup just to humble them a bit.
Old 03-01-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I forgot how pretentious these people really are (especially the Best Supporting Women Actress who said ONLY actors celebrate life or some bullshit like that). They make it so hard to root for them that I was actually happy with the Best Picture fuckup just to humble them a bit.
I didn't watch for two reasons: one, I didn't want to hear political rants. But mainly, the show has been increasingly less fun to watch as the years go on. It used to feel like a real celebration of movies, and as a movie geek, I'm all about that. But the pretension and self-seriousness are so over the top now, it's nauseating. Hollywood takes itself waaaaaaay too seriously these days.
Old 03-01-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I didn't watch for two reasons: one, I didn't want to hear political rants. But mainly, the show has been increasingly less fun to watch as the years go on. It used to feel like a real celebration of movies, and as a movie geek, I'm all about that. But the pretension and self-seriousness are so over the top now, it's nauseating. Hollywood takes itself waaaaaaay too seriously these days.
Every year there is always these type of comments of "it used to be so fun back in my day". The Oscars haven't changed one bit, people just got old and bored with it.
Old 03-01-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Also, ratings seem to fluctuate depending on the movies nominated. Considering La La Land and Hidden Figures were basically the biggest of the best picture noms, a decrease in ratings was likely expected.
Old 03-01-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Once upon a time, popular favorites were good enough to also be Best Picture winners.
1961: WEST SIDE STORY
1962: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
1964: MY FAIR LADY
1965: THE SOUND OF MUSIC
1967: IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT
1968: OLIVER!
1970: PATTON
1971: THE FRENCH CONNECTION
1972: THE GODFATHER
1973: THE STING
1974: THE GODFATHER, PART II
1975: ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
1976: ROCKY
1977: ANNIE HALL
1978: THE DEER HUNTER

Most of these movies generated a lot of audience interest, and so did the Oscars, especially when you had the top stars of Hollywood past and present showing up, like Charlie Chaplin in 1973 and unexpected moments like Brando's sending in Sacheen Littlefeather to pick up his award, or the Streaker running past Elizabeth Taylor and David Niven, or the winners of Best Documentary Feature reading a congratulatory telegram from North Vietnam in 1975 and getting opposing reactions on air from both Frank Sinatra and Warren Beatty in quite a dramatic display of Academy discord.

When you have Best Picture winners like MOONLIGHT, BIRDMAN, SPOTLIGHT, THE KING'S SPEECH, ARGO, etc., the mass audience simply tunes out. I don't know if they're great movies or not, but they cater to a more specialized crowd than PATTON, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE GODFATHER or THE STING. And the airing of Hollywood's political views has become so commonplace that there's nothing unpredictable or unexpected about it.

So, yes, the Oscars have changed.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-01-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 10:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Next years ratings will go up from people watching just to see if there's more blunders.
Old 03-01-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Every year there is always these type of comments of "it used to be so fun back in my day". The Oscars haven't changed one bit, people just got old and bored with it.
And the current young adults grew up on award shows where presenters and winners were often slimed.
Old 03-01-17, 10:17 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Things I learned about the Oscars from the Adam Carolla podcast:

1. Jimmy asked Carolla to be a joke writer for the show.
2. During dress rehearsal an enormous portion of the set collapsed. It would have fallen on Jimmy had he not been rehearsing for a bit out in the audience. They wanted to use the footage of the collapse during the live broadcast. Adam wrote a dozen jokes about it. The Academy would not allow any discussion of the accident and the bit was scraped.
3. Many (perhaps even most) of the Trump jokes were written by Adam. I wouldn't say he's a Trump supporter, but he is soft on Trump, had him on his podcast during the campaign, and has defended some of his actions. Interesting that the Trump jabs were not written by a person with deep resentment for the dude.
4. With only three more awards to go, Adam told Jimmy, "This is it. You can just coast from here on out. All that's left is saying good night." This naturally cursed Jimmy and the ensuing blunder had to happen.

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-01-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.