Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

I just heard the third version of Toomes telling someone don't mess with me.
He usually says "I will kill everyone you know." I've herad that said 2 different infections.

This time he said I will Hurt everyone you know.
Old 06-29-17, 08:10 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Reviews are starting to officially come out.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spider_man_homecoming
Old 06-29-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a winner so far. That's got me excited
Old 06-29-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see such glowing reviews. I'm sure it will drop a little more from 96%, but those are very positive reviews. I'm going to take the family next weekend. The kids are pretty excited.
Old 06-29-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
No more Green Goblin please!!! UGH. Get to some other villains.
Maybe not right away but I disagree. He was only used properly in the first Raimi film. Yeah his arc carried throughout the trilogy but at the same time we had other villains going on while he was a background character. I honestly hardly count the Webb version and plus he was really only the Goblin for the final fight. Considering he's Spidey's biggest villain and one of the best Marvel villains in general I'd like to see him used. He'd be a good villain for the MCU which people always say had weak villains.
Old 06-29-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seeing Green Goblin again would be like having Lex Luthor as the villain again in a Man of Steel 2 for me. I wouldn't mind throwing Norman Osborne in the background and taking time with his character, but I don't need to see another glider villain when there's plenty of others that can be shown.
Old 06-29-17, 09:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 (7/5/2019)

30 reviews in...97%
Old 06-29-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

7.8/10 avg rating.
Old 06-29-17, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nearly universal praise for the villain also, which can sometimes be a weak link in superhero movies. Apparently Keaton kills it as Vulture.
Old 06-29-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Getting really good reviews, and word-of-mouth will be very positive.

Looks like we have a great Spiderman movie again!
Old 06-29-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

I see IMDB, true to the shills they've become in recent months, has let the studio's marketing team take over the film's page there (as well as on other titles, apparently).

Last edited by Brian T; 06-29-17 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-29-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

From my earlier post after I saw a cut of the film in January...

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Spoiler:
I thought the film was ok, from a screening back in January. No origin story. It starts off with Keaton as a contractor for hire to do clean up after the events in the first Avengers film. He's kicked out because the gov realizes that people shouldn't have their hands on the Alien tech. He steals the last pile of Chitauri tech and has the Tinkerer build a bunch of weapons for sale to the highest bidder.

We find Peter going to Germany to fight in Civil War. When he comes back he can keep the suit, but is told to keep a low profile. Happy in in charge of looking after him. My problem is that he's in a gifted learning school where everyone is supposed to be smarter. so we don't get a sense that he's super smart. Flash isn't a jock and is almost the similar to Kevin the math club guy in Mean Girls. Aunt May has one supportive scene, but she's the butt of the long running gag, "Your Aunt is Hot." Is Liz in the comics? I know her mostly from the cartoon series. Can you guess who her father is? Stark has to save Peter after his first encounter with Vulture. Gives him a warning, then the Washington Monument thing (which I think is weird to have Web Head battling outside of NY) and then Stark takes away his suit. Moping, still goes out in his old homemade suit and uncovers everything, goes to Happy and gets the suit back and then it's the final battle with Stark as Iron Man helping. Again, too many people know Peter is Spider-man. In the end, they were about to introduce Spider-man as an Avenger, but Peter realizes that he's not that ready yet. So instead, Tony proposes to Pepper. Appearances by Bokeem as the Shocker, and Michael Mando possibly being the Scorpion. Not sure who Donald Glover is supposed to be as he was a stoner guy buying weapons and he didn't want the Vulture tech, he just wanted some normal guns.
Old 06-29-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Looking forward to this.
Old 06-29-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Seeing Green Goblin again would be like having Lex Luthor as the villain again in a Man of Steel 2 for me. I wouldn't mind throwing Norman Osborne in the background and taking time with his character, but I don't need to see another glider villain when there's plenty of others that can be shown.
I disagree I guess. I mean really he's only the main villain in one film. There were other villains in the films that have been seen in each sequel: Doc Ock, Sandman, Venom, Lizard, Electro, Rhino and now Vulture and Shocker. We've seen a fair share of villains across six films. So it's not like a Lex Luthor situation where he's kind of been Superman's crutch in every film.

Granted not all those Spidey villain characters were used to their potential but the same could be said about the subsequent Goblins after the first film. New Goblin (Harry) was a different character and plus was the culmination of the trilogy. Even there he's only the villain for part of the film and really the main villain is Sandman. The Goblin in the Webb film was essentially equivalent to Venom in how he was used. Basically a waste that seemed thrown in at the last minute. He had like what ten minutes of screentime as Goblin? That's hardly a main character.

To me the Osborn's and Oscorp are far too central to Peter's character and the Spider-Man universe to ignore and if they put in Norman but never lead up to him becoming Goblin it'd be pretty disappointing in my opinion.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-29-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
I disagree I guess. I mean really he's only the main villain in one film. There were other villains in the films that have been seen in each sequel: Doc Ock, Sandman, Venom, Lizard, Electro, Rhino and now Vulture and Shocker. We've seen a fair share of villains across six films. So it's not like a Lex Luthor situation where he's kind of been Superman's crutch in every film.

Granted not all those Spidey villain characters were used to their potential but the same could be said about the subsequent Goblins after the first film. New Goblin (Harry) was a different character and plus was the culmination of the trilogy. Even there he's only the villain for part of the film and really the main villain is Sandman. The Goblin in the Webb film was essentially equivalent to Venom in how he was used. Basically a waste that seemed thrown in at the last minute. He had like what ten minutes of screentime as Goblin? That's hardly a main character.

To me the Osborn's and Oscorp are far too central to Peter's character and the Spider-Man universe to ignore and if they put in Norman but never lead up to him becoming Goblin it'd be pretty disappointing in my opinion.
It's funny since growing up and watching Spidey cartoons and reading some of the comics I never felt like Osborn was THE villain for Spider-Man. Heck, from the 90's animated series I thought it was Kingpin

I get your point, but while the Spider-Man movies have done a better job showing other villains, I'm just tired of seeing Norman/Harry/GliderGuy arcs which have basically been part of all the movies except maybe the first Amazing Spider-Man. At least this soon in to the 3rd reboot of the franchise.
Old 06-29-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that they don't need to do it right away. It could be done down the road in maybe the third or fourth film (if it gets that far). I'm not sure it'll be done anyways because I seem to recall some interview about not wanting to retread old territory in the MCU and I think Osborn/Green Goblin was specifically mentioned.
Old 07-06-17, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

My local "real" IMAX is showing 2 out of the 4 showings a day in 2D. I guess enough people are complaining about "exclusive" 3D showings.

No reason to pay extra to see a 3D post-processed movie. I'm sick of this current 3D fad and hope it dies soon. It gives me a headache.
Old 07-06-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

No reason to pay extra to see a 3D post-processed movie. I'm sick of this current 3D fad and hope it dies soon. It gives me a headache.
Does someone have a gun to your head forcing you to watch in 3D?!?!
Old 07-06-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

To his credit, 3d showings often steal the best theater screens and audio setups.
Old 07-06-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts

My local cinema is showing it on 4 2D screens and only one 3D screen. None of the 7 preview showings tonight are in 3D.

Also the 3D screen is one of their smallest auditoriums.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 07-06-17 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My local "real" IMAX is showing 2 out of the 4 showings a day in 2D. I guess enough people are complaining about "exclusive" 3D showings.

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Does someone have a gun to your head forcing you to watch in 3D?!?!
Originally Posted by RichC2
To his credit, 3d showings often steal the best theater screens and audio setups.
And Eric basically explained it in the first sentence of his post. If someone is looking or hoping at catching the movie in IMAX, often times you'd ONLY get 3D showings. I know that's like that for me here, where the real IMAX screen generally only had 3D showings whereas I used to be able to go for regular 2D.

Checking my theater, IMAX is only in 3D. The Regal "RPX" screen that has Dolby Atmos has two 3D showings and two 2D showings.
Old 07-06-17, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
And Eric basically explained it in the first sentence of his post. If someone is looking or hoping at catching the movie in IMAX, often times you'd ONLY get 3D showings. I know that's like that for me here, where the real IMAX screen generally only had 3D showings whereas I used to be able to go for regular 2D.

Checking my theater, IMAX is only in 3D. The Regal "RPX" screen that has Dolby Atmos has two 3D showings and two 2D showings.
Thanks for actually reading my post.

Up until Homecoming on every single "blockbuster" release my IMAX theater would show everything in 3D. If I wanted to see something in 2D I'd have to go to the more expensive, crappy multiplex across the street for the 1 showing at 2pm. So smaller, worse sound, seats, out of focus, etc, for more money.

As people here already know, IMAX has a higher standard of quality, and when they're only showing 1 movie at a time (as opposed to 16) they tend to live up to that.

I know a lot of people are complaining about the lack of 2D showings at most theaters. I hear it all the time (I used to work at that crappy AMC across the street).
Old 07-06-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for actually reading my post.

Up until Homecoming on every single "blockbuster" release my IMAX theater would show everything in 3D. If I wanted to see something in 2D I'd have to go to the more expensive, crappy multiplex across the street for the 1 showing at 2pm. So smaller, worse sound, seats, out of focus, etc, for more money.

As people here already know, IMAX has a higher standard of quality, and when they're only showing 1 movie at a time (as opposed to 16) they tend to live up to that.

I know a lot of people are complaining about the lack of 2D showings at most theaters. I hear it all the time (I used to work at that crappy AMC across the street).
Did someone have a gun to your head forcing you to work at that crappy AMC across the street?!?!
Old 07-06-17, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Did someone have a gun to your head forcing you to work at that crappy AMC across the street?!?!
I sense a theme here.

This has got to be one of the oddest responses I've ever received on DVDTalk.
Old 07-08-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The sequel to this and spin-offs will be made by Disney or Sony?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.