Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (6/10/2016) D: Webb - news, cast, rumors...

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
My guess is they are going to do one more desperate reboot with the Sinister Six (Venom, Doc Ock, Sandman, Hobgoblin, Lizard, and the Vulture). It will probably end up making a final total of $180~175million domestic. After that, they will probably be more open to negotiating with Marvel to sell back the character rights.
Not. Going. To. Happen.
Old 06-16-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The OOT will come out with a 4K remaster before that happens.
Old 07-23-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

This has apparently been pushed to 2018 with Uncharted: Drake's Future taking this slot and Sinister Six being released in November 2016.
Old 07-23-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch. That may be better though, gives them some time to come up with a better movie, rather than just throwing more villains at the screen and hoping something sticks.

Oh, and Uncharted finally gets a release date?! Hell yes!!
Old 07-23-14, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*hopes for better villain designs*
Old 07-23-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

It makes sense to me. Sinister Six should be the next film with as little Spidey as possible. Setting up the villains and how they come together with their battle taking place in ASM3. Not sure about the Sinister Six film opening in November.
Old 07-23-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Is anyone going to care about this franchise in 2018? If I were Sony, I'd drop the Sinister Six idea and fast-track Part 3. I think the Sinister Six movie will tank (at least relatively speaking - I'm sure it will still make millions).
Old 07-23-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While I didn't really care for ASM2, they did a good job of setting up the Sinister Six movie at the end, so I actually think it's better to dive in to that one first. I sure as hell wasn't interested in more Spider-Man after that experience.
Old 07-23-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Who thinks at some point before this Sony will just reboot again? Is Garfield even going to be interested in four years? Not to mention he'll be in his mid-30s.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 07-23-14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Who thinks at some point before this Sony will just reboot again? Is Garfield even going to be interested in four years? Not to mention he'll be in his mid-30s.
If Sinister Six doesn't do great numbers, I would guess they might reboot - but won't Spidey 3 already be in production by then?

The problem is that SONY only has Spidey - they don't have a whole team of superheroes to spin-off and team up, hence the whole Sinister Six idea. If they do reboot, they're really going to have to go at this from a different angle - one of the big issues with the current reboot is that it's not significantly different from the Tobey Maguire films.

Maybe we need a Spider-man in his 40s, who's at the end of his rope/web (so to speak )
Old 07-23-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The only thing that could save this franchise is full penetration.
Old 07-23-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The only thing that could save this franchise is full penetration.
Too bad they already killed off Emma Stone.
Old 07-24-14, 12:29 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Too bad they already killed off Emma Stone.
Or did they? It might have just been her clone.
Old 07-24-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While I didn't really care for ASM2, they did a good job of setting up the Sinister Six movie at the end, so I actually think it's better to dive in to that one first.
You think so? If I remember correctly,
Spoiler:
somebody walks into a room where all the bad guy accessories are basically being held in storage.
How is that a good setup?
Old 07-24-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
You think so? If I remember correctly,
Spoiler:
somebody walks into a room where all the bad guy accessories are basically being held in storage.
How is that a good setup?
Spoiler:
It basically implies that Harry is looking for criminals to fill the roles of what will be the Sinister Six. He already started by the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with Rhino so I think it's safe to assume that's his plan for the rest of the suits in that room. Obviously we'd have to see a bit more in the actual Sinister Six film with him and Rhino finding these criminals and them becoming the villains but it's a start. My big gripe with it is that all the villains are just pre-manufactured by Oscorp rather than the villains having their own unique origins.
Old 07-24-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (2018) D: Webb - news, cast, rumors...

A Sinister Six movie will bomb. There's not a large enough audience to care about a movie about villains. The public doesn't even know these villains. And, the more villains they stuff in a movie, the worse it gets. As much as I love the comic book movie trend, it's going to be crashing soon. Looking at the various B title comic characters that are getting movies, folks are going to lose interest fast. Sony should sell the rights back while there's still some value to the property.
Old 07-24-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I tend to agree that a film based soley around the Sinister Six may not be the best idea. If the public already isn't embracing the Garfield Spidey universe I don't know that an extension of it without Spider-Man is a very good idea. Plus there's only really a few villains that I think can really carry a film. Most of them aren't even full on villains either but more antiheroes like Venom, Spawn, Deadpool, etc.
Old 07-24-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

This Spider-Man franchise is an object lesson so far in what can go wrong when you're all about expanded universes and plotting out the next 3 movies in the series rather than concentrating on good storytelling and solid movies. Like the 3-D boom and many other booms we're seeing studios look at the Avengers success and trying to ape it without understanding what really made it work.

I've been a Spidey fan for 30 years and still haven't seen ASM2 and have next to no interest in a Sinister Six movie. They're going down the wrong paths here...
Old 07-24-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The big problem with the Spider-Man franchise right now if you ask me is that Sony doesn't really seem to know what they want to do with it. They're just planning films so they get to keep the license but they have no actual idea where it's going or how to do it well. They need someone with a good vision to get things on the right track. I don't hate the Webb films but the character could be done a lot better.
Old 07-24-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A Sinister Six film could actually do better than this last Spidey adventure, if they do it right. People love anti-heroes, but it would take a strong creative team to pull it off... and Sony is in short stock over there.
Old 07-24-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where has it been said that Spider-Man won't be in Sinister Six? Who else will stop whatever their plan is?

I could see Sony renaming the movie 'Spider-Man vs The Sinister Six' since it will tell casual fans it is Spider-Man related.
Old 07-24-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I still need to see Spider-man 2, but it seems like for a Sinister Six movie to work they need to establish at least some of the villains first and make them somewhat compelling and interesting to root for. I'm not sure how well it would work if they have to introduce the bulk of the characters for the first time and how to find a way for the audience to want to watch them. I always thought Venom out of any Spidey villain would have been the easiest one to have established.
Old 07-24-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This has box office bomb written all over it. Sony almost always plays it safe and middle of the road with their franchises, resulting in warmed-over entertainment geared towards non-English speakers. I trust Sony the least of any studio in handling comic book properties. It wouldn't surprise me if the next Spidey reboot includes a huge amount of changes, like introducing the alternative ethnic version or using May Parker (Spider-Girl).
Old 08-23-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After watching TASM2 last night, I would rather watch a Sinister Six movie before watching TASM3.
Old 12-12-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
If Marvel Gets Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield is Out

Well it seems negotiations with Marvel might not be over after all.

SIDE NOTE: Anyone ever notice how sometimes Andrew Garfield looks like he might be related to Jason Bateman?

If Marvel Gets Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield is Out

All week, we’ve been tracking a major story concerning New York’s #1 webslinger, Spider-Man. Following a massive cyber attack on Sony Pictures, emails began appearing indicating Marvel and Sony went to the negotiating table earlier this year to work out a plan that would see the character make his debut in the MCU via Captain America: Civil War. However, when Sony realized the deal Marvel wanted would include a loss of creative control, the studio walked away from the talks… that was until the hack, which made Sony Japan (the parent company of Sony Pictures) aware of the situation and not very happy.

Now with Sony, reportedly, being told to get back in it with Disney and Marvel, new details have come to light from Latino-Review as to what Marvel plans to do with the property should it get a hold of it

1) Andrew Garfield will be replaced as Peter Parker, and all existing stories will be wiped clean.

2) Marvel will skip an origin story and start their version of Spidey as one that sees Peter already leading a double life

3) The MCU version would put far less focus on the romance angle of Spider-Man as the idea’s already been played out in five other films.

4) An appearance in Civil War is still possible, but as the script is just about finished for the film, the clock is ticking.

As of now, Sony still has complete control over the Spider-Man franchise, and everything the studio plans to do with the property (namely spin-off films such as Sinister Six) are still a go. But, given the financial state of both Sony and the franchise, the studio may be running about of leveraging power, especially following the highly disappointing box office gross of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.