Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Emma Watson as Batgirl. I feel creepy just typing that but I want it made.
You feel creepy? I just thought of Emma Watson in a The Killing Joke adaptation where Joker shoots her through the spine, then strips her naked, and photographs her.
Old 09-03-14, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great choice. Beyond the physical, he's got a great voice. Really interested in how they do the big cheese with Batson. That dynamic can be very refreshing and unique.
Old 09-03-14, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Really interested in how they do the big cheese with Batson.
Personally, I hope Billy Batson gets very minimal screen time. Nothing ruins a movie more than a punk ass kid sideplot. Iron Man 3 gets a bad rap, but the only thing I truly disliked about the movie was that stupid sideplot with the kid.
Old 09-03-14, 12:18 PM
Banned

That's why I put that last sentence.

Personally I've never cared much for Batson, the kid. But there are great moments sometimes where the split is really well done. You're going to need a good chunk of Batson no matter what. He's still a kid. I actually liked Batson in his New 52 origins. As the human character, it seemed well done and very true for the modern.

If they can find a great actor in a kid, even better. I'm actually really interested in how child actors, within like the past 15 years, have actually become their own people in the craft. The number of quality kid actors has grown and some are very interesting to see in creating their talent.

For the most part, children in the visual media is a breathing prop at best. So it's great to see somebody like Breslin, the Fannings, Radcliffe, and etc be actual creative members in the craft.
Old 09-03-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

They've re-made Billy Batson to be a punk kid with an attitude these days. I'm more interested in what they do with Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel, Jr. as part of the Shazam film.
Old 09-03-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant wait for this! I've always loved the Captain Marvel(Shazam) character, and The Rock has Black Adam is perfect casting. Not sure who to get for Cap yet even though the first thought I had was someone like Taylor Kitsch.
Old 09-03-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Don't they have to get someone with at least the same size/muscular build as the Rock? Or is Black Adam going to tower over Captain Marvel?

CM Jr. and Mary should be much easier to cast, if they go that route for the first movie. I really hope we don't see the new 52 entire orphanage of Shazams, though.
Old 09-03-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Don't they have to get someone with at least the same size/muscular build as the Rock? Or is Black Adam going to tower over Captain Marvel?

CM Jr. and Mary should be much easier to cast, if they go that route for the first movie. I really hope we don't see the new 52 entire orphanage of Shazams, though.
Having the villain be much more intimidating looking than the hero usually isn't a bad thing.
Old 09-03-14, 05:23 PM
Banned

Kind of depends. From what I've grown up with it always seemed like CM was bigger than Adam. That didn't stop Adam from being an ass kicker of CM. at times they were visually equals in size. Or even Adam bigger.

The Rock's size is fine. It will be interesting who they cast against him.
Old 09-03-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Not a fan of the New52 Billy/Shazam characterizations - A jerky kid becomes a jerky superhero. But then, I was never a fan of what DC did to Captain Marvel after the original Crisis either. From the 40s to the 80s, whenever Billy said "Shazam!," Captain Marvel took over and had his own personality. After the Crisis, Captain Marvel just became a kid in a grown-up body. I remember Roy Thomas rationalizing this decision in the "Shazam!: A New Beginning" mini-series in '86. But for me, some of the Captain's magic died that year.
Old 09-03-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

It's too bad Cena is such a stiff when it comes to acting...
Old 09-03-14, 06:17 PM
Banned

I haven't been a fan of it since like 1999, was 13, but every once in a while I catch it on a treadmill or something. I know Cena is popular but how good of a rassler is he?

I stopped watching it after my father passed. It was our thing but it didn't feel right anymore. Saying that... I still liked it but I enjoyed it more before it got "grittier" or whatnot in like 94 or 95. I dunno.

Is wrestling as popular as it was in the early 1990s as I remember from how much exposure it got into the mainstream?
Old 09-03-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't been a fan of it since like 1999, was 13, but every once in a while I catch it on a treadmill or something. I know Cena is popular but how good of a rassler is he?

I stopped watching it after my father passed. It was our thing but it didn't feel right anymore. Saying that... I still liked it but I enjoyed it more before it got "grittier" or whatnot in like 94 or 95. I dunno.

Is wrestling as popular as it was in the early 1990s as I remember from how much exposure it got into the mainstream?
Wrestling is at it's lowest point ever in my eyes.
Old 09-03-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

C'mon, don't discount the Doink the Clown years.

I thought of suggesting Cena when I first responded about needing someone the Rock's size.

For some reason I had completely forgotten that Captain Marvel had a different personality than Batson, I always though Batson just matured when he got all the powers, which included wisdom among other traits. That makes it even more like Marvel's original Captain Marvel, where Rick Jones basically just traded places with Marvell... was that intentional?

In the original, what was so special about Billy that he was chosen to get the power, if he didn't even have control anyway?
Old 09-03-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

93-95 WWF was bad, but yea, it's much much worse right now. Evil Doink was pretty entertaining.
Old 09-03-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was a necessary move after Alan Moore took the concept to its logical limits in Miracleman. DC was almost certainly responding to those ideas when they had Billy keep his personality in Marvel's body.

Read this treatment that Alan Moore turned into DC, which heavily involved Captain Marvel for a planned Elseworlds story. They passed on it in the 1980s thinking it was too dark but one can tell many elements were later incorporated into Kingdom Come.

http://fourcolorheroes.home.insightb...lightfree.html
Old 09-03-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is really off topic now, but his write up of Crisis is spot on, and mirrors what happened to me when they rebooted again in the new 52 (and also an excellent point about the Donner Superman movies):

I believe this is dangerous for a couple of reasons. Firstly, by establishing the precedent of altering time, you are establishing an unconscious context for all stories that take place in the future, as well as for those which took place (or rather didn't take place) in the past. The readers of long standing, somewhere along the line, are going to have some slight feeling that all the stories that they followed avidly during their years of
involvement with the book have been in some way invalidated, that all those countless plotlines weren't leading to anything more than what is in some respects an arbitrary cut-off point.
By extension, the readers of today might well be left with the sensation that the stories they are currently reading are of less significance or moment because, after all, at some point ten years in the future some comic book omnipotent, be it an editor or the Spectre, can go back in time and erase the whole slate, ready to start again. I myself felt something similar at the end of the first Superman film, when he turns time back to save Lois. It ruined the small but genuine enjoyment that I'd got from that first movie and destroyed all credibility for any of the following sequels as far as I was concerned.
Old 09-03-14, 08:53 PM
Banned

This is really off topic now, but his write up of Crisis is spot on, and mirrors what happened to me when they rebooted again in the new 52 (and also an excellent point about the Donner Superman movies):
Continuity is a tricky subject. Just looking at Batman alone, the main Batman title had over 700 issues before the New 52 reboot. The Detective Comics title had over 800. You're looking at over 1,500 comics just from those two alone. That's not even counting all the other Batman spinoff titles such as Legends of the Dark Knight and Shadow of the Bat. Plus other Batfamily members such as Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl have their own titles. The entire "Batverse" from 1939 to 2014 is thousands and thousands of comics. And that's just Batman. Not even counting Superman, Wonder Woman, or any other characters here.

There's no way you can keep all of that in continuity. You can't expect readers to read thousands of issues of backstory and be that well versed in Batman history just to read modern comics. (Even though Grant Morrison may have tried with his run on Batman.) So some of it HAS to be cleaned up to be accessible to new readers.
Old 09-03-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe Manganiello could reenter the superhero conversation.
Old 09-03-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Brandon Molale has wanted the role for years

Old 09-03-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't know who that is but....Wow! Not bad.

Old 09-04-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Is Benedict Cumberbatch going to play Martial Manhunter or a villain in BvSOJ?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bened...es-67034.html/
Old 09-04-14, 01:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by will travel
Is Benedict Cumberbatch going to play Martial Manhunter or a villain in BvSOJ?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bened...es-67034.html/
They're not going to have both Martian Manhunter and Cyborg in the Justice League, and Cyborg has already been cast.

I could see Cumberbatch as Brainiac. He plays smart guys well. (Khan in Star Trek and Sherlock Holmes.)
Old 09-04-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think comic book companies realize it pisses off long-term fans, which is why they switched over as quickly as possible to minimize the damage and outrage.
Old 09-05-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I think the notions put forward by Alan Moore translate very well to what the movie companies are doing with their licenses. Marvel are building a mythology and ensuring that threads between characters link successfully and that this continues throughout their future productions. DC/WB seems to be handling this less well. They are rebooting Batman for the third time in 17 years and Superman for the second time in less than 10 years. I think the more characters are rebooted, repeated or rehashed the less inclined audiences are to embrace them. We see this with a character like Spiderman. I hope DC has a more solid game plan going forward, but i think throwing all their main characters into the boiling pot at the same time is not the best of first steps.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.