Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.20%
15.50%
32.56%
20.16%
10.85%
6.20%
3.10%
0%
2.33%
0.78%
1.55%
Go home Gojira!
0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

I honestly thought Cloverfield was worlds better than Godzilla and what I saw of Pacific Rim
Old 06-13-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Which was better, Godzilla 2014 or Pacific Rim?
I lost interest in GODZILLA pretty much at about the 40-minute mark after Cranston left the picture. I saw it 2-D on a regular screen.

PACIFIC RIM held my interest for about 90 minutes, before I got exhausted from the constant CGI and constant battles and began to fade from it. I saw it in 3-D IMAX and the sound really shook up my nervous system and caused some serious stomach distress.

I had to go to the bathroom during both movies.

I saw TRANSFORMERS 3 in 3-D IMAX and I was riveted the whole time. Best 3-D experience I've had in the modern 3-D era. I think it helped that T3 made me laugh a lot before the final battle in Chicago, when it got deadly serious. To me the humor helped keep my interest and served the build-up to the finale quite well. Neither GODZILLA nor PACIFIC RIM had enough comic relief for my tastes.
Old 06-13-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I lost interest in GODZILLA pretty much at about the 40-minute mark after Cranston left the picture. I saw it 2-D on a regular screen. PACIFIC RIM held my interest for about 90 minutes, before I got exhausted from the constant CGI and constant battles and began to fade from it. I saw it in 3-D IMAX and the sound really shook up my nervous system and caused some serious stomach distress. I had to go to the bathroom during both movies. I saw TRANSFORMERS 3 in 3-D IMAX and I was riveted the whole time. Best 3-D experience I've had in the modern 3-D era. I think it helped that T3 made me laugh a lot before the final battle in Chicago, when it got deadly serious. To me the humor helped keep my interest and served the build-up to the finale quite well. Neither GODZILLA nor PACIFIC RIM had enough comic relief for my tastes.
Damn, and I was just starting to like you .

Old 06-13-14, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I saw Pacific Rim on cable the other night and thought it stunk. WAY too much fighting among the humans when they need to be coming together, the idea of 2 pilots in the robot working in sync was stupid and a dumb idea, and the constant throwing around of "kaiju" made it feel like they were trying to be too clever by half.
Agree with everything.
Old 06-13-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

I lost interest in GODZILLA pretty much at about the 40-minute mark after Cranston left the picture. I saw it 2-D on a regular screen.

PACIFIC RIM held my interest for about 90 minutes, before I got exhausted from the constant CGI and constant battles and began to fade from it. I saw it in 3-D IMAX and the sound really shook up my nervous system and caused some serious stomach distress.

I had to go to the bathroom during both movies.

I saw TRANSFORMERS 3 in 3-D IMAX and I was riveted the whole time. Best 3-D experience I've had in the modern 3-D era. I think it helped that T3 made me laugh a lot before the final battle in Chicago, when it got deadly serious. To me the humor helped keep my interest and served the build-up to the finale quite well. Neither GODZILLA nor PACIFIC RIM had enough comic relief for my tastes.
Which version of Pacific Rim did you see? Because the movie was bookended by action which surrounded 90 minutes of setup. I love the movie but the action is surprisingly sparse, relatively speaking. You got the intro sequence (with only one real fight) and a glimpse of Striker Eureka fighting during the day. The rest is talk, talk, talk, sparring session with Mako, talk, talk, tease at an awesome flashback, more talking, second half of awesome flashback, even more talking, finally some action, Independence Day speech, action (though nowhere near as spectacular as the previous fight in the city), main characters don't kiss, and roll credits.
Old 06-13-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Which was better, Godzilla 2014 or Pacific Rim?
Godzilla. Pacific Rim was excessive and frankly not that interesting.

Though I agree that Cloverfield is the most successful of the recent big budget giant monster pics.
Old 06-13-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Which version of Pacific Rim did you see? Because the movie was bookended by action which surrounded 90 minutes of setup. I love the movie but the action is surprisingly sparse, relatively speaking. You got the intro sequence (with only one real fight) and a glimpse of Striker Eureka fighting during the day. The rest is talk, talk, talk, sparring session with Mako, talk, talk, tease at an awesome flashback, more talking, second half of awesome flashback, even more talking, finally some action, Independence Day speech, action (though nowhere near as spectacular as the previous fight in the city), main characters don't kiss, and roll credits.
To be honest, after a certain point, it all started to blur together. The image I have of the film is just one long nighttime CGI shot of rain and waves and monsters and giant robots merging with those unfunny scientists chattering off to the side. If it had been 90 minutes, I think I might have loved it.
Old 06-22-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw this last night and man was it a let down. I was bored to tears and my wife actually fell asleep. Pacific Rim is loud, stupid, and silly, but 1000x more enjoyable. Godzilla was boring and downright frustrating at times. At least in PR I could tell what was happening in the fight sequences (of which there were plentry) and it was fun...
Old 06-22-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

To be honest, after a certain point, it all started to blur together. The image I have of the film is just one long nighttime CGI shot of rain and waves and monsters and giant robots merging with those unfunny scientists chattering off to the side. If it had been 90 minutes, I think I might have loved it.
Yeah, the scientists annoyed. Well, Burn Gorman somehow managed to make a character I would normally despise be somehow tolerable. However, I kept hoping Charlie Day would get eaten. His constant screeching of every single one of his lines was aggravating. Such a horrible actor.
Old 06-22-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

Never watched a Godzilla movie, other than the Roland Emmerich version.

All of the stuff with Cranston was really good. The plotting with husband and wife was alright, but largely forgettable. It served as a conduit for some Godzilla VS MUTO action.

Really liked the Godzilla plot. Is that the normal thing for Godzilla? He's a necessary nuisance? Again, I've only watched the Roland Emmerich one, where he's just a dick who destroys NYC.

Edwards put in a few little touches that were really visceral. A few times he dropped the sound. Or spent some time with a really good looking frame, where a lesser director would have cut away.

An epic trailer for a pretty good movie.
Old 06-22-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-o
Saw this last night and man was it a let down. I was bored to tears and my wife actually fell asleep. Pacific Rim is loud, stupid, and silly, but 1000x more enjoyable. Godzilla was boring and downright frustrating at times. At least in PR I could tell what was happening in the fight sequences (of which there were plentry) and it was fun...
I just can't fathom why someone would actually consider Godzilla boring. Did we see the same movie?
Old 06-22-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JANK
I just can't fathom why someone would actually consider Godzilla boring. Did we see the same movie?
The last 30 minutes were exciting, but getting there was a pain. None of the characters were worth investing emotional energy in, things just happened to push the plot forward, and it was dark....way too dark (I mean in the literal sense). I honestly thought about leaving at one point, but I knew/hoped the end would be worth waiting for... It just took itself too seriously and dragged way too much without interesting enough characters or plot lines for me. Maybe my expectations were too high, as I stayed away from all of the reviews and talk...
Old 06-23-14, 03:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? I could see everything pretty well in my 2 showings. I saw it in 2D.
Old 06-23-14, 05:18 AM
Banned

Loved the movie and will be getting the Blu-Ray. When Godzilla was heading back into the sea and the thousands of people in the stadium basically gave him a standing ovation... come on, how could that not make you smile.

--
Old 06-23-14, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because Godzilla just took part in a situation where 1,000's were still "missing".

Man, I had some hope for this, but I'm agreeing with this opinion of the film;

Originally Posted by dave-o
Once Cranston left the picture my attention and giving any shit about any characters left with it.

Just didn't give a shit about the son and it really stretched in how much the dude could have survived in his journey to the heart of it all.
Old 06-23-14, 05:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

Once Cranston left the picture my attention and giving any shit about any characters left with it.
I like Cranston as much as the next guy but I thought he was terrible in this. Not that Kick-Ass and the Olsen chick deserve accolades but I didn't find them bothersome the way I did Cranston's overacting which never rang true to me. I think people are, for now, still being easy on this performance because hey, it's Heisenberg.

--
Old 06-23-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
I like Cranston as much as the next guy but I thought he was terrible in this. Not that Kick-Ass and the Olsen chick deserve accolades but I didn't find them bothersome the way I did Cranston's overacting which never rang true to me. I think people are, for now, still being easy on this performance because hey, it's Heisenberg.
I was trying to convince a friend to see this and after watching the trailer he immediately commented on Cranston's outrageous over acting. It actually killed his interest in the movie. He wasn't playing that interesting of a character anyway, the conspiracy theorist cliche is fun for a bit, but it gets old.
Old 06-23-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Yeah, I never understood the fascination with Cranston's character in this either.
Old 06-23-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because Heisenberg.
Old 06-23-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Box Office Guru:

Godzilla rounded out the top ten with an estimated $1.8M as well falling 45% in its sixth weekend. With $194.9M so far, the big-budget 3D monster movie is heading to a $200M finish although total tickets sold will still end up substantially lower than the 1998 Godzilla.
Old 06-23-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Once burned, twice shy....

I never posted, but I did see this a few weeks ago and I was definitely pleased. Yes, definitely needed more screentime for Big G, but when he was on he was amazing. I didn't hate the humans either, they were at least tolerable, and enjoyed the MUTOs (though I definitely want to see a classic kaiju for the sequel).

And that finishing move, right out of Mortal Kombat, lol.
Old 06-23-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From Box Office Guru:
G'14 has sold about 25mm tickets, G'98 did 29mm. I'd say that's pretty good considering today's media climate, where more people can skip the theater and wait for BD, or they can just pirate a crappy cam version.

Financially speaking, however, the film did incredible considering this is a franchise that has been dormant in the U.S. for 16 years and the last entry is universally reviled.
Old 06-23-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I was trying to convince a friend to see this and after watching the trailer he immediately commented on Cranston's outrageous over acting. It actually killed his interest in the movie. He wasn't playing that interesting of a character anyway, the conspiracy theorist cliche is fun for a bit, but it gets old.
Are we talking about Godzilla or Breaking Bad?
Old 06-24-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worldwide numbers for the new film are at $477 million and it doesn't open in Japan until mid July, so this will end up past $500 million.
Old 06-24-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Are we talking about Godzilla or Breaking Bad?
Godzilla, do you think Cranston was overacting at times in Breaking Bad?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.