Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.20%
15.50%
32.56%
20.16%
10.85%
6.20%
3.10%
0%
2.33%
0.78%
1.55%
Go home Gojira!
0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Brack
Tickets sold is a pretty meaningless statistic to any studio.
Yeah, the shitty '98 version sold more tickets, but 16 years later, we have a lot more things that can take up our free time. Twitter, Facebook, smart phones/tablets, etc. And lots of people will just wait for RedBox and rent it for a buck just to avoid the stupid teenagers using smart phones at the theater. WB/Legendary should make a profit after factoring in VOD/DVD/BD sales. It still hasn't opened in Japan or China, so that will give the foreign numbers a boost. I think it has a small chance at $500 mil worldwide, but it'll probably fall short.
Old 06-06-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I still say many people are being way too harsh on a man only on his second film, and first major, big budget movie.
Old 06-06-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I didn't have problems with Godzilla's screentime so much; it's just that when he was offscreen, there wasn't enough compelling content to make the wait worthwhile. The movie just went dramatically limp after the first act, and never recovered.

And yes, you can say "But all Godzilla movies are like that!!" and you'd be somewhat wrong, but letting go of that for a second here was an opportunity to make something BETTER, more substantial, more compelling while not sacrificing any of the classic Godzilla/kaiju/monster movie tropes... and they blew it.
I think you let your expectations get the best of you. Yes, the human element could've been more compelling, great even but I don't have the same problems with it as a lot of people do. I think if the main guy were compelling as all hell, it would've taken away from the might of Godzilla's scenes. We would've been waiting for the main guy's scenes instead of Godzilla's. I think the Godzilla stuff works because the humans are blah.
Old 06-06-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Or Pokémon
Hey! In Pokémon movies, the human characters and the Pokémon carry equal weight. Ash and Pikachu are a team!

"Pokémon - it's you and me /
Pokémon - I know it's our destiny /
Pokémon - you're my best friend /
In a world we must defend /
Pokémon - our hearts so true /
Pokémon - our courage will pull us through /
You teach me and I'll teach you Po--ké--maaaahhnnnn /
Gotta catch 'em all, gotta catch 'em aaaallllll /
Pokémon!"

Can Godzilla say all that?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-06-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

I didn't have problems with Godzilla's screentime so much; it's just that when he was offscreen, there wasn't enough compelling content to make the wait worthwhile. The movie just went dramatically limp after the first act, and never recovered.

And yes, you can say "But all Godzilla movies are like that!!" and you'd be somewhat wrong, but letting go of that for a second here was an opportunity to make something BETTER, more substantial, more compelling while not sacrificing any of the classic Godzilla/kaiju/monster movie tropes... and they blew it.
Thank you. Comparing this movie to Jaws is ridiculous. Jaws was engaging even without the shark. Godzilla is just a lot of boring filler between brief spurts where the main attraction actually bothers to appear (and then you have to contend with whether or not the director is in the mood to actually let you see Godzilla at all).
Old 06-06-14, 01:10 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 06-06-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Yeah, the shitty '98 version sold more tickets, but 16 years later, we have a lot more things that can take up our free time. Twitter, Facebook, smart phones/tablets, etc..
Yeah, but you can do all of those things WHILE you watch the movie in the theater.
Old 06-06-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie was a letdown the size of Godzilla himself!
Old 06-06-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

Here's why I disagree with this assessment:
Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
I think if Brody, Hooper, and Quint were compelling as all hell, it would've taken away from the might of Jaws's scenes.
If anything, the strength of those characters made the "monster" scenes even more potent. There wasn't a single moment during Godzilla that wouldn't have been improved by every character you were allegedly "supposed to care about" getting vaporized as fast as humanly possible.

Were my expectations too high? Assuredly. I really wanted something better, more substantial, and more compelling than what we were left with, which was a decisively mediocre Saturday afternoon monster flick. If you put it up against every other dopey kaiju flick ever made, it's alright. As big-budget studio fare, it's meandering at the level of your average Transformers sequel.
Old 06-06-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's why I disagree with this assessment:

If anything, the strength of those characters made the "monster" scenes even more potent. There wasn't a single moment during Godzilla that wouldn't have been improved by every character you were allegedly "supposed to care about" getting vaporized as fast as humanly possible.

Were my expectations too high? Assuredly. I really wanted something better, more substantial, and more compelling than what we were left with, which was a decisively mediocre Saturday afternoon monster flick. If you put it up against every other dopey kaiju flick ever made, it's alright. As big-budget studio fare, it's meandering at the level of your average Transformers sequel.
I think the key difference here though is that Jaws is the antagonist of his own movie. Hooper, Brody and Quint are the heroes so yes, they should be compelling because we don't want Jaws to eat them. Godzilla is the hero here though so the blandish heroes don't bother me to much and makes the Godzilla scenes stand out, what little of them there are.

Now, this isn't my favorite Godzilla film by any means but it's a ton better than any of the Transformers sequels and less insulting. They're just noise, bang, racist robots, noise, poopy/pee-pee joke. It's probably why I prefer this movie to them although I would enjoy a full movie about one of Godzilla's bowel movements.
Old 06-06-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Wow. Who knew that a Godzilla movie would be one of the most heavily-discussed films of all time?
Old 06-06-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Godzilla thread is a Godzilla thread!
Old 06-06-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Wow. Who knew that a Godzilla movie would be one of the most heavily-discussed films of all time?
"most heavily-discussed films of all time"
Old 06-06-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 06-06-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Also, Cranston is cool but people are so in love with him it's getting boring. Fact is...He could've have been dropped too. Ken Watanabe could have...SHOULD HAVE... done both Cranston's and Kick Ass' roles and it would have been a nice homage to the Japanese. But no...as always...they HAVE to put a WHITE MALE in the role or else American/European viewers will have issues.
agree.
Old 06-07-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Which was better, Godzilla 2014 or Pacific Rim?
Old 06-07-14, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pacific Rim.
Old 06-07-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Pacific Rim.
Old 06-07-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pacific Rim though both get flawed, both were fun, and I liked both.
Old 06-07-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For me, Godzilla.

Having watched both recently, PR has some great battles but, unfortunately, the rest of the film is just so damn stupid. I'm very aware of Godzilla's faults in the human department, but I felt more investment in the thin characters of that film than in those of PR, which were either cartoonish or insufferably bland. It is kind of hard to compare the two, though, since PR is an adolescent fantasy come to life, shooting a load every two minutes. Godzilla builds up to some incredible moments, allowing for greater impact than anything I saw in PR.
Old 06-07-14, 10:59 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Godzilla, if nothing else because they kept the number of people in the cast relatively small for a disaster movie. Pacific Rim had a whole cast of characters I didn't care about.
Old 06-07-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

Godzilla for me. I like Pacific Rim a lot though, minus the two scientists and Ron Pearlman's character.
Old 06-09-14, 01:10 PM

Godzilla for me also. I enjoyed Pacific Rim, but I loved Godzilla. Looking forward to picking up the Bluray when it comes out.
Old 06-12-14, 02:24 PM

I finally got around to seeing this last night and after reading this thread, I am very surprised at the dislike and\or disappointment of the movie. Personally, I prefer my blockbusters cheese-free and dark when possible and this ticked all of those boxes. I really don't understand the complaints about not seeing Big G enough. I thought the fights were just long enough personally and I liked the non-immediate reveal.

Pacific Rim? That was a few hairs better then a Michael Bay Transformer's movie and not much more. I am not sure what was cheesier; the acting\dialogue of Jax and Clay or these two:

Old 06-12-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw Pacific Rim on cable the other night and thought it stunk. WAY too much fighting among the humans when they need to be coming together, the idea of 2 pilots in the robot working in sync was stupid and a dumb idea, and the constant throwing around of "kaiju" made it feel like they were trying to be too clever by half.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.