Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 11:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Justice League Movie- Release date ?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I am fascinated by the fact that 100% of the people in this thread think The Avengers was a success because of Marvel's "Method." Avengers was a success because it was a damn good movie. I'd only seen half of the "build up." I wasn't familiar with Thor, Loki, Hawkeye or Black Widow. It doesn't matter, the movie absolutely stands on its own. The build-up definitely built awareness, but that's not the reason it succeeded.
It's not the reason it succeeded, but it is the reason it succeeded so wildly. Marvel built up characters that weren't as well known to non-comic fans through a series of solo movies, then brought them all together. The fact that the movie was excellent is what propelled it to break records, but it still would have made a lot even if it were just okay because of the Marvel method.
Old 06-08-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

The general public does not know anyone other than Superman or Batman. Good luck with this...
Old 06-09-12, 12:16 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought The Flash could possibly make a good franchise and Ryan Reynolds seems like he's be a better fit for Flash than he was for Green Lantern. However I was never into Green Lantern to start with and I felt the movie was underwhelming.
Old 06-09-12, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to GOD that they never, EVER, EVER, make this movie.

Because really, when I imagine a Justice League movie, I imagine a movie much like Avengers.

Kinda campy. Less serious. Much more action. Tons of humor. An over-the-top villain. And giant battle set pieces.

And Batman is going to be in it. And it's going to end up being Batman and Robin all over again.
Old 06-09-12, 01:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The general public does not know anyone other than Superman or Batman.
So? Its not like the general public knew Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, or Black Widow before the MCU. All the general public really knew was WWII era Captain America and Lou Ferrigno Hulk.
Old 06-09-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

If they want any chance at success, they need Timm, Dini, and the rest of the creative team from JL/JLU/Young Justice to come up with a treatment (and even the shooting script). But of course the studio wants to go with these other guys cos their names are currently associated with M:i-GP (which was immensly entertaining despite a barely strung together story).

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
So? Its not like the general public knew Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, or Black Widow before the MCU. All the general public really knew was WWII era Captain America and Lou Ferrigno Hulk.
Yeah but, as has been repeated ad nauseum, audiences had five years to get to know them. And I bet the vast majority still don't know who they are beyond "those people played by Sam Jackson, Robert Downey, Jr., some He-Man looking guy, that guy from The Hurt Locker, and Scarlett Johanssons tatas."
Old 06-09-12, 06:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah but, as has been repeated ad nauseum, audiences had five years to get to know them. And I bet the vast majority still don't know who they are beyond "those people played by Sam Jackson, Robert Downey, Jr., some He-Man looking guy, that guy from The Hurt Locker, and Scarlett Johanssons tatas."
Which is why having solo hero movies first are important to set up the universe instead of just jumping straight into the JLA movie.
Old 06-09-12, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I think you are seriously underestimating the awareness of the DC-5. We may not have had a Wonder Woman movie, but I'm positive that people know who she is. Same for Flash and maybe Aquaman. I'm not talking knowledge of the character history just an awareness, enough so that setting them up first in their own movies is unnecessary. For whatever reason DC has just done a better job keeping those characters just below the public conscience to keep them alive.

In fact I think DC would do better to do the opposite of Marvel. Tackle JL first to build hype and then spin off those characters, that they've had trouble with, into their own franchises.
Old 06-09-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The three of you are arguing from a place of having seen all the previous films and I'm not. The movie stands on its own just fine and having seen them all none of you can objectively say otherwise. I'm sure there is more of a payoff having seen them but as someone who hasn't seen them all, I can honestly say it's not necessary.
Maybe for you yes. I assume though that you aren't a typical movie fan though since you do afterall you do post on an online forum (like the rest of us) and seem to have some knowledge of comics. To the average person I'm sure having the characters built up helped them feel some attachment to the characters and gain some knowledge of who they are. In my opinion it was a great way to set up The Avengers. I do think the film would have done okay without the extra build up but the massive success it saw in my opinion was helped by the individual movies.
Old 06-11-12, 08:16 AM
Banned

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...n-lantern-flas

• Our source tells us that the major developments are underway at DC Entertainment — and the Man of Steel will spearhead it all.

• The Man of Steel will be chapter #1 of a shared universe, it will all bend around that film.

• In chronological terms, the Man of Steel is the first.

• Henry Cavill will be given a new contract after Man of Steel that would probably include a pay raise along with his new terms that feature the Justice League film and subsequent sequels.

• Lobo will be the second movie after Man of Steel, and is said to take place off Earth and won't affect any of the other films.

• The Flash and Wonder Woman (Nicolas Winding Refn is expected to be directing) scripts will be spin-offs from the Justice League film that should be released summer 2014/2015, and The Flash will be rewritten to fit around events that will transpire in Justice League.

• Ryan Reynolds will be expected to reprise his role as Green Lantern, and the events that transpired in his film - although they won't be ignored in the Justice League Movie, they won't be acknowledged either. It will sort of be hints to his backstory, and the character will be more serious than in the solo film (more like how he was towards the end of the film).

• The Green Lantern sequel has a treatment but the situation is unclear. It most likely will be brought to a stage where it is near getting the green light, and will be held there until things become clearer where that franchise is headed.

• The rebooted Batman film (won't be an origin story, but will focus on a Batman who is entering his second year as a hero) will be a part of the same universe.

• The details plot wise for the Justice League Movie are unknown, but a couple comic book writers have penned the treatment that Will Beall will be scripting.

• Christopher Nolan won't be directing the Justice League Movie.

• There aren't any directors set for the Justice League Movie yet, although a shortlist has been drawn up (Matt Reeves, Jonathan Liebsman, David Yates are rumoured within WB) by the execs.

• The budget for the Justice League Movie will be around $270 million.

• DC are looking to release 2 films a year. So expect something like this:

Man of Steel (2013) Zack Snyder; David Goyer & Christopher Nolan; HenryCavill

Lobo (2014) Brad Peyton; TBA

Justice League (2015) TBA;

The Batman (2016)

Wonder Woman (2016) TBA (Most Likely Nicolas Winding Refn); Michael Goldenburg

The Flash (2017) TBA; Greg Berlanti, Marc Gruggenheim & Michael Green; TBA

Updated 6/7/12:

• The Justice League movie is David Yates' to lose; he is the heavy favorite to become director of the movie.

• The look of the film will not be as colorful or as bright as Marvel's The Avengers — which looked like a comic book in real life.

• The Justice League Movie will look like an epic blockbuster film in tone with The Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel, which is something Warner Bros. is keen on — to avoid similarities with The Avengers.

• Christopher Nolan is "godfathering" the project from a distance, meaning more or less Warner Bros. went to him and asked his opinions and how he would he do things.

• Christopher Nolan may well be credited as an Executive Producer on the film with wife Emma Thomas.
Old 06-11-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad to hear that the batman reboot will basically work as a pseudo-sequel in the sense that they won't retell the origin and just have him already in full swing as a vigilante.

I know I'm in the minority but I hope David Yates doesn't get the Justice League gig. Except for the delightful Order of the Phoenix, I disliked his work on the Harry Potter franchise.
Old 06-11-12, 08:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

(assuming Cavill is a good Superman) I like all of the news above, except for them pushing for a darker tone. DC movies, to this date, ARE NOT FUN. They need to change that.
Old 06-11-12, 09:03 AM
Banned

A Nicolas Winding Refn Wonder Woman film sounds like gold.
Old 06-11-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Wow.....
Old 06-11-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
DC movies, to this date, ARE NOT FUN. They need to change that.
That bugs me as well. GL having humour and not being serious enough weren't the problems. In fact, the serious stuff (like Hal's daddy issues) was what kept dragging down what should have been a grand outerspace adventure.

A Justice League movie should be an epic spectacle. Not some dour glum experience. But given they seem intent on David "I never met a light switch I didn't turn off" Yates, I'm betting we'll get plenty of the latter.
Old 06-11-12, 10:07 AM
Banned

They should do a movie of the Giffen and DeMatteis Justice League International era. I would love to see Batman "one punch" Guy Gardner on the big screen.
Old 06-11-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I am fascinated by the fact that 100% of the people in this thread think The Avengers was a success because of Marvel's "Method." Avengers was a success because it was a damn good movie. I'd only seen half of the "build up." I wasn't familiar with Thor, Loki, Hawkeye or Black Widow. It doesn't matter, the movie absolutely stands on its own. The build-up definitely built awareness, but that's not the reason it succeeded.
Let's just say Marvel's strategy didn't hurt
Old 06-11-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Knowing WB, they'll hand over JLA to Jonathan Liebsman. He's the type of hack shithole studio nutsucker they ADORE.
Old 06-11-12, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Refn Wonder Woman movie? They better let Refn do his thing. I know he won't go full blown regular Refn cuz it's a PG-13 thing for sure..but...let the man do his thing. If this is true...I'm almost scared that this will be his horrible Hollywood experience cuz WB has too much riding on things like this.
Old 06-11-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I dunno what you guys talking about, this movie ain't gonna happen
Old 06-11-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I dunno what you guys talking about, this movie ain't gonna happen
No shit that whole timeline is nothing but a pipe dream.
Old 06-11-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
A Refn Wonder Woman movie? They better let Refn do his thing. I know he won't go full blown regular Refn cuz it's a PG-13 thing for sure..but...let the man do his thing. If this is true...I'm almost scared that this will be his horrible Hollywood experience cuz WB has too much riding on things like this.
That seems like a total waste of time, money, and talent. Refn's style doesn't really fit with Wonder Woman. So if you let him go nuts, you'll turn off WW fans. But if you don't let him do his thing, it'll turn off Refn fans. If you do it halfway, you end up making Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Hokeyboy's right in that WB doesn't know what the hell they're doing. Whereas others are also right in that the proposed timeline is a fantasy.
Old 06-11-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow $270M budget. What was Avengers? $270M has to be up there with the most expensive movies ever.
Old 06-11-12, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So if you let him go nuts, you'll turn off WW fans.
What Wonder Woman fans? What are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few people in a 100+ mile radius who even buys Wonder Woman comics (well, trades) and I'd be perfectly giddy about a Refn WW movie. She's not Bats or Supes. She doesn't have enough of a fanbase to even worry about pissing off.
Old 06-11-12, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Avengers was $220-225 million, those are the two numbers I keep seeing.

That whole listing is just bullshit. No way that can be done. For it to be done, they need shit started...like...2011, at least.
Who leads the DC movie division btw?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-11-12 at 01:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.