Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Variety's negative review, by Peter Debruge:

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews...ng-1201421867/

First and last paragraphs:
In “Cloud Atlas,” the Wachowskis wildly overreached while tackling the notion of reincarnation via a daring, genre-spanning nonlinear narrative that challenged the very limits of conventional storytelling. Now, with “Jupiter Ascending,” the subject arises once again, albeit in the most banal, been-there-done-that way imaginable: as a garish, “Phantom Menace”-esque space opera in which a lowly Russian cleaning lady (Mila Kunis) is born with DNA identical to that of the most powerful woman in the universe. The movie refers to this statistical improbability as a “recurrence,” which could also describe the painfully familiar feeling we get from watching the Wachowskis fail once again, this time on an unrecoverable $175 million budget, despite whatever boost Imax 3D ticket sales can add.
It all comes down to a problem of world-building, a skill at which the Wachowskis excelled on “The Matrix.” But their weaknesses were revealed soon after in the “Matrix” sequels, where the sheer scale of the project overwhelmed their ability to focus in on the core narrative. Here, buried under decibels of deafening score (from J.J. Abrams’ favorite composer, Michael Giacchino, working without the solid underlying musical theme of his Pixar and “Star Trek” work), the movie zips from one dazzling setting to another, back and forth between Earth and Jupiter and who knows where else. No sooner have the Wachowskis built it than intergalactic rescue dog Caine comes crashing through walls to tear it all down. Hard to believe, but for all the Abrasax’s technological superiority, it takes just one small hole in the ceiling to bring an entire refinery city crumbling to the ground, and while it all looks quite stunning, the Wachowskis really should have spent that extra six months on development, focusing on the script rather than the visuals. After this debacle, it will be a long time before the kind of recurrence where anyone trusts the duo with a budget anywhere near this scale again.
Old 02-03-15, 10:08 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

I guess we're going to get that 4th Matrix film to recoup the costs
Old 02-03-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A review roundup from CriticWire:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwir...-bang-20150203

The columnist's (Sam Adams) opening paragraph may be the most hopeful thing yet written about this film:

There are, no doubt, people who sneer at the idea of a movie in which Mila Kunis plays a Russian cleaning lady whose DNA makes her fated to save the universe and Channing Tatum plays a flying man-dog. One can only pity them. As expected, the reviews for Andy and Lana Wachowski's "Jupiter Ascending" range between goggle-eyed and gobsmacked, with critics either charmed by its over-the-top antics or bemoaning its nonsensical gibberish — either of which, frankly, sounds pretty good in the doldrums of February, to which the movie was pushed after being originally scheduled to open in summer 2014. That's not usually a good sign, but where the Wachowskis are concerned, being considered too weird for blockbusters season can only be considered a compliment. (The only people unhappy with the movie might be Eddie Redmayne's team, who are busy swatting down the notion that his campy turn as "Jupiter's" villain might put a dent in his Oscar hopes for "The Theory of Everything.") The only truly worrying notices are those that accuse it of pulling its punches, of being not an "epic folly" but a rote sci-fi action movie with a few highly unusual touches. It's still hard to believe that a movie whose central character is named Jupiter Jones could be accused of being dull, but we'll know more once the second round of reviews breaks after tonight's screenings.
Old 02-03-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still cautious on this despite some early negative reviews, as Speed Racer ended up with a 39% but I thought that movie was excellent. I'm worried that the Wachowski's, like the Matrix sequels, will think they created a far more interesting world and lore then they actually did though
Old 02-05-15, 08:28 AM

I was planning on seeing... but I just don't really feel like it anymore. I was only really going to see it because of The Wachowskis... not because I actually thought it looked any good. The reviews have torn it apart (not that I usually rely on those). Maybe I'll try and track down a theatre playing Still Alice this weekend instead.
Old 02-05-15, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

I'd rather take the chance and see this on the big screen than Still Alice, which is good but is probably just as good at home.

At least here you're paying to see a spectacle that makes good use of a massive screen, and not much else.
Old 02-05-15, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'd rather take the chance and see this on the big screen than Still Alice, which is good but is probably just as good at home.

At least here you're paying to see a spectacle that makes good use of a massive screen, and not much else.
Completely agree on those aspects... but I'm not really in the mood to sit through this I guess.
Old 02-05-15, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesus. My Cinemark is usually game for whatever but they really aren't supporting this film. Only 4 showings tomorrow.
Old 02-05-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would go see a Mila Kunis/Channing Tatum movie as long as Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansson, Rooney Mara and Jason Statham were also in it.

And Christoph Waltz as Blofeld.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-05-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 05:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I've enjoyed all the Wachowski films, some more, some less. Their last two movies were great, and even though many here hate the Matrix sequels, they were more entertaining than most sequels usually are.

Last edited by Brack; 02-05-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 05:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I've enjoyed all the Wachowski films, some more, some less. Their last two movies were great, and even though many here hate the Matrix sequels, but they were more entertaining than most sequels usually are.
i didn't mind them either. grant you i've only seen the sequels once (in theaters), but i remember not hating 2 and kinda entertained by 3...
Old 02-05-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

I'll check it out for the big screen spectacle. Couldn't be anymore headache inducing than Transformers:Age of Extinction, right?
Old 02-06-15, 02:42 AM
Banned

I'm watching it today at 1pm.
Old 02-06-15, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

I loved all 3 Matrix films and Cloud Atlas. Didn't like Speed Racer at all and never saw Bound although I've heard its quite good. Jupiter Ascending looks like a film that lives up to its mixed reviews. I'll probably see it in theaters either way.
Old 02-06-15, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I liked Bound, loved the first Matrix, hated the sequels and Speed Racer was just a big WTF. Cloud Atlas i think was extremely well done and deserved more credit.

Jupiter Ascending has been on my Meh list for a while, but now its released i have to admit that i am tempted to see it. I read a review by Harry Knowles on Aintitcool and he spouted his usual crap and praised it with his tongue firmly in the backsides of the Wachowskis. That has given me second thoughts as i don't trust a word that fat ginger douche says. The only reason i go to that site anymore is to read the talkbacks regarding his flagrant fraud.
Old 02-06-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

What "flagrant fraud"? Is he not really fat? Or not really a ginger?
Old 02-06-15, 08:32 AM
Banned

Is he talking about that fat fuck losing money and etc? Didn't he buy a house or something when he was supposedly going poor?
Old 02-06-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The very best thing I can say about this movie is that it kept my interest; I kept watching for all of the influences like the 1981 Flash Gordon guards and the wedding or the Dune family/harvesting conflicts or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy bureaucracy or the Island of Dr Moreau hybrids.

It is basically a film of all other scifi films' elements wrapped around Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I'm not kidding, you can pick any scifi film and you will find a reference or idea from it. It plays almost as an homage to the genre. If you have any interest it's worth seeing because the Wachowskis, at the very least, make movies to see in theaters. The scope and design are top notch.
Old 02-06-15, 08:42 AM
Banned

sooooo...was it good?
Old 02-06-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
sooooo...was it good?
I don't know yet I'm still thinking about it. You can tell it's been cut as there's some abrupt changes but from what is there, it's not a terrible movie like the critics are saying.

I think this will be just like Speed Racer and once people digest it on home video, it will grow an audience.
Old 02-06-15, 09:00 AM
Banned

...hrmm.

I never saw Speed Racer till BD less than a year ago. It didn't attract me. And it is a good movie. I get the point of why they did what they with it in terms of CGI and whatnot but it wasn't my visual style for certain parts. Good action though. Cloud Atlas was fucking great. A film that really really needed to be made to stand out from the pack. Love The Matrix. Like Reloaded. *cough* I... tolerate... Revolutions. Damn, Zion. That place is so fucking boring. Bound was good.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-06-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-06-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts

Our paper (Minneapolis Star Tribune) gave this 0 Stars out of 4. Again I don't give one rats ass about theatrical movie reviews but I have never seen that in our paper before.
Old 02-06-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

here's another scathing review: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/dod...9/+robharvilla
Old 02-06-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

MSN's review is pretty positive - even with the author pointing out its shortcomings:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/revi...pic/ar-AA8W4Ik
Old 02-06-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jupi..._2014/reviews/

- In spite of Andy and Lana Wachowski employing enough effects and CGI artists to populate a mid-sized city, Jupiter Ascending does more descending than ascending.

- It feels like the Wachowskis got bored halfway through their world building and thought they could distract viewers by having Channing Tatum take off his shirt, shoot things and fly around on magic boots for two thirds of the movie.

- The credits for "Jupiter Ascending" acknowledge nearly 1,600 artists, technicians, visual imagineers, and pixel-pushers who have labored mightily to bring this story to life. Their efforts only reveal the underlying conceptual hollowness.

- It's taken 15 years, but the bloated and pitiful Battlefield Earth no longer has to carry the mantle of being the worst big budget science-fiction film of all time.

- Jupiter Ascending is a very special kind of dumb.

- The Wachowskis have collected their last blank check from The Warner Brothers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.