Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ridley Scott Ready To Direct New Version Of 'Blade Runner'

It doesn't really matter if Deckard is a replicant or not - the theme of the movie remains the same. Only the final twist will change. What does it mean to be human? That is still the implication of Rachel's question and of the movie itself.
Old 02-14-12, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, good point, the theme works either way. If Deckard is inhuman by technical standards, but the viewer lives through his character, and sympathizes with this character, so if he turns out to be a replicant does that mean the emotions we shared are now meaningless? If we feel betrayed by the revelation what does that say about us?
Old 05-17-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not much more to say than this, but Collider is reporting that original Blade Runner scribe Hampton Fancher is in talks to develop and write this sequel.
Old 05-17-12, 09:50 PM
En vacance

I think Deckard as a replicant is going the over badass route. Too much sugar just ain't too good.
Old 05-17-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ridley Scott gave an interview with The Daily Beast and said this about the new Blade Runner:

Spoiler:
What about the rumored Blade Runner sequel?

Funny enough, I started my first meetings on the Blade Runner sequel last week. We have a very good take on it. And we’ll definitely be featuring a female protagonist.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-runner-2.html

Last edited by Paul1957; 05-17-12 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 11:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Somewhere in the darkness, Sean Young just screamed in excitement at that idea.
Old 05-18-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish Scott would direct a completely original sci-fi flick instead of piggybacking off Alien and Blade Runner. Those are such incredible movies, I'd love to see him create a whole new world instead of revisiting old ones. My excitement for another Blade Runner will be based entirely on whether or not Prometheus is any good.
Old 05-18-12, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If Prometheus is a success financially he probably will be able to secure the kind of budget he wants for any sci-fi film, but having some name to piggyback off of helps a great deal. It sounds like he has the right approach to these things. Use the universe but keep it as separate as possible.
Old 05-18-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I wish Scott would direct a completely original sci-fi flick instead of piggybacking off Alien and Blade Runner. Those are such incredible movies, I'd love to see him create a whole new world instead of revisiting old ones.
I agree, more so with Blade Runner...but I'll take these happily over another boring Russell Crowe film.
Old 05-18-12, 10:49 AM

Instead of a sequel to Blade Runner they should just leave it as its own film and make Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?. Keep them as two different things.
Old 05-18-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I wish they'd make a cut of BLADE RUNNER that had both the voice overs (which I love) and the Unicorn dream footage. I think that would be a better version than any we have right now.
Old 05-18-12, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. Just no.
Old 05-18-12, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
The Color of Lightening (details only on IMDbPro)
Nemesis (details only on IMDbPro)
Empire of the Summer Moon (details only on IMDbPro)
Conspiracy of Paper (details only on IMDbPro)
Untitled Gertrude Bell Biopic (details only on IMDbPro)
Blood Red Road (details only on IMDbPro)
Untitled Monopoly Project (details only on IMDbPro)
The Last Werewolf (details only on IMDbPro)
Fly Me to the Moon (details only on IMDbPro)
The Passage (details only on IMDbPro)
The Forever War (details only on IMDbPro)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (details only on IMDbPro)
Shadow Divers (details only on IMDbPro)
Settle Down (details only on IMDbPro)
Ion (details only on IMDbPro)
"Labyrinth" (details only on IMDbPro)
"The Sector" (details only on IMDbPro)
Untitled Christmas Project (details only on IMDbPro)
Shooters (details only on IMDbPro)
Peony in Love (details only on IMDbPro)
Pigeon English (details only on IMDbPro)
"The Drivers" (details only on IMDbPro)
Reykjavik (details only on IMDbPro)
Town House (details only on IMDbPro)
Untitled Gucci Biopic (details only on IMDbPro)
Sidney Hall (details only on IMDbPro)
Red Riding (details only on IMDbPro)
Archangels (details only on IMDbPro)
Before I Go to Sleep (details only on IMDbPro)
The Kind One (details only on IMDbPro)
Tripoli (details only on IMDbPro)
In Vitro (details only on IMDbPro)
Untitled Tony Scott Project (details only on IMDbPro)
Brave New World (details only on IMDbPro)
The Killing Sea (details only on IMDbPro)
The Low Dweller (details only on IMDbPro)

Producer:

In Production

"Pompeii" (2012) TV series (in production) (producer)
Emma's War (????) (in production) (producer)
Potsdamer Platz (????) (announced) (producer)
Stoker (2012) (pre-production) (executive producer)
"The Sector" (2011) TV series (pre-production) (executive producer)
"World Without End" (2012) TV series (filming) (producer)
Welcome to the Punch (2012) (filming) (executive producer)
Prometheus (2012) (post-production) (producer)
The Grey (2012) (post-production) (producer)

I like Ridley Scott, but damn, the man is 74 and associated with so many projects. I hope he can make a few more good ones before he croaks.
WTF??? He's SEVENTY FOUR!?!?!!?

And are all the films in that first list the ones he's planning to direct?

Sweet Geezus!!!!
Old 05-29-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Blade Runner 2: Replicant Boogaloo (Scott, 2014?) - News, Rumors, Cast...

So being the worlds biggest fan of Blade Runner i am very interested in seeing what they could do with this. Part of me never wants to see a sequel as the original was perfect, but another story set in the same world could be welcome.

So what do you guys think?

BTW: I checked to see if there was another thread for this. Could not see one, but apologies if there is.
Old 05-29-12, 10:28 AM
Banned

Re: Blade Runner 2: Replicant Boogaloo (Scott, 2014?) - News, Rumors, Cast...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...de-runner.html

I like your title though...Mods merge?
Old 05-29-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Ridley Scott Wants Harrison Ford In ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel

Ridley Scott is going back to his first films for inspiration. Prometheus, Scott’s kind of (but not really, maybe just a little bit) prequel to Aliens is hitting theatres in just under two weeks and then he moves on to Blade Runner 2.
Actually, he’s going to direct Cormac McCarthy’s The Counselor next, then he’s going to revisit the world of Blade Runner.
When Scott announced the project speculation immediately began about whether or not Harrison Ford would be reprising the role of Rick Deckard. There were rumors, but nothing more.
Well, no contracts have been signed, or even drawn up, but we do have confirmation from Scott that he’d like Ford involved.
Here’s what Scott said on the matter:

“I don’t think it’ll be Harry [starring]. But I’ve got to have him in it somewhere. That’d be amusing.”

This is hardly a confirmation of Ford’s involvement, but it does mean Scott wants him in the film, even if it’s only a cameo.
Thanks to Sean Lozano for giving us a heads up on this one.

http://latino-review.com/2012/05/29/...runner-sequel/
Old 05-29-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
You're talking about a cut scene and Ridley says you're wrong.

So he's replicant.
Bryant DOES say, however, "I need the old Blade Runner" to Deckard - implying that he's been around for quite some time.
Old 05-29-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Bryant DOES say, however, "I need the old Blade Runner" to Deckard - implying that he's been around for quite some time.
Not to add more convolution to this old discussion, but it doesn't have to imply that. That comment on its own could just as easily be explained this way: Deckard is a replicant with implanted memories of being a Blade Runner and Bryant knows it.
Old 05-29-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by OutRun2
WTF??? He's SEVENTY FOUR!?!?!!?

And are all the films in that first list the ones he's planning to direct?

Sweet Geezus!!!!
I really hope he prioritizes.
Old 05-29-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I acknowledge that Deckard is a replicant simply because Scott says so, but I think turning Deckard into a replicant was a stupid move on Scott's part, for at least three reasons.

First of all, Deckard is a human in the book, and the universe of Blade Runner is Philip K. Dick's vision, not Ridley Scott's vision. Turning Deckard into a replicant is a major change, and frankly I think Scott oversteps his authority...just my opinion.

Second, turning Deckard into a replicant unnecessarily convolutes the plot. Blade Runner is a profound, philosophical film. It is already challenging from a thematic standpoint. Why overcomplicate matters with cheap plot twists?

And third, turning Deckard into a replicant adds little or nothing of value. I'd argue that it even detracts from the film since the romantic relationship between Rachel and Deckard is redundant. (Witness Pris and Roy.) Ultimately, humans are left out of the equation. They occupy the periphery of the film. And if the film doesn't say much about humans, then what's the point? The real audience of the film is, afterall, made up of humans.
Old 05-30-12, 11:14 AM
Banned

Ok..who the fuck cares what the book says? Stop holding the book next to the film. The Film is the film and that's that. It's Ridley's film adaptation of the book...not Dick's adaptation of the book.

seems like Dick was pretty damn cool w/ this script and film:

Although Dick died shortly before the film's release, he was pleased with the rewritten script, and with a twenty minute special effects test reel that was screened for him when he was invited to the studio. Despite his well known skepticism of Hollywood in principle, Dick enthused to Ridley Scott that the world created for the film looked exactly as he had imagined it. He said, "I saw a segment of Douglas Trumbull's special effects for Blade Runner on the KNBC-TV news. I recognized it immediately. It was my own interior world. They caught it perfectly." He also approved of the film's script, saying, "After I finished reading the screenplay, I got the novel out and looked through it. The two reinforce each other, so that someone who started with the novel would enjoy the movie and someone who started with the movie would enjoy the novel."
So seems they overstepped correctly.

Making Deck a replicant doesn't convolute the plot. It layers it very well in fact. To me personally this is more evident in confrontation of Roy and Deck. It wasn't a cheap plot twist. I'm not sure it's really a plot twist. Deck was going to do what he was going to do anyway...the added notion of he himself being a replicant again...layers the character.

Also...the question of leaving humans specifically out of the equation isn't the point. It's about living. replicant or human doesn't matter. It's about living. Those who have life.
Old 05-30-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
I acknowledge that Deckard is a replicant simply because Scott says so, but I think turning Deckard into a replicant was a stupid move on Scott's part, for at least three reasons.
He only explicitly "turned Deckard into a Replicant" in interviews. Every single cut of the film leaves that question unanswered with various levels of ambiguity.

First of all, Deckard is a human in the book, and the universe of Blade Runner is Philip K. Dick's vision, not Ridley Scott's vision. Turning Deckard into a replicant is a major change, and frankly I think Scott oversteps his authority...just my opinion.
I disagree. It's Ridley Scott's film and his vision. He owes nothing in particular to the source material, yet he managed to capture the spirit of the book extremely well.

Second, turning Deckard into a replicant unnecessarily convolutes the plot. Blade Runner is a profound, philosophical film. It is already challenging from a thematic standpoint. Why overcomplicate matters with cheap plot twists?
It would only be a "cheap plot twist" if the movie explicitly presented Deckard as a replicant. It doesn't, so it's not a twist of any kind, but rather an ambiguity.

And third, turning Deckard into a replicant adds little or nothing of value. I'd argue that it even detracts from the film since the romantic relationship between Rachel and Deckard is redundant. (Witness Pris and Roy.)
This is what's great about the way Scott handles it in the film. If anything, leaving it ambiguous adds to the relational and philosophical layers. It doesn't detract in the least.

Ultimately, humans are left out of the equation. They occupy the periphery of the film. And if the film doesn't say much about humans, then what's the point? The real audience of the film is, afterall, made up of humans.
I find this an odd complaint. For one, it's very possibly to say something about humans and humanity without humans being the primary characters. Additionally, there are notable films beloved by audiences where the primary characters aren't human (or even "humanoid").
Old 05-30-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It seems odd to me to present Deckard as a human who is capable of radical change (by questioning and eventually overcoming his extreme bias against androids), only to reveal that he is not a human at all. Turning Deckard into an android raises interesting questions about whether there is any meaningful difference between humans and androids, but these questions have already been raised. At the same time, it weakens the theme about the ability of humans to change (unless a viewer is convinced that androids are fully human).

I still like the film. But I would like it better if Deckard were a human.
Old 05-31-12, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Deckard as human makes gains and loses in equal measure. It's true that you no longer get to see a human overcome his prejudice about androids, though you do get to see an android programmed to be prejudiced against his own kind overcome his programing which is interesting. Meanwhile the audience has been sympathizing with Deckard and assuming he is a human amongst the scary androids and now have to deal with the realization that they have been rooting for a guy who has been a traitor to his own kind all along. There is also the more empathic effect of turning Deckard into a replicant at the end which is to force the audience to consider how this information would effect their own sense of reality. Deckard is meant to be the hero stand-in for the audience who can live through his actions within the film world. If at the end he realizes he is an android and has been killing his own kind all along then the audience are also forced to confront this turn of events as if they were Deckard (if they have sufficiently bought into the film as it was going along). I find this to be a very interesting "twist", as it were.

Of course the ambiguity adds a slightly different layer to all of this since Deckard and the audience can't be sure about his true status. It's likely that he is a replicant but how can he know for certain? What should he do now and how long will he live? Does it make any material difference to the choices he has to make next? He still needs to live his life the best way he can.
Old 05-31-12, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a fan of the Deckard-as-replicant thing and was disappointed that Scott went so heavy-handed towards that interpretation in the Final Cut. He went so far as to give Ford the little eye-flares (I assume through CGI) that only replicants in the movie have.

It begs the question.. why could all the other replicants kick his ass so hard if he was also a replicant? But aside from that, to me it just kills any possible meaning the film has, any discovery he as a human being has made about the value of life and love, and kills all of the meaning from the replicant choosing to save his life in the end. Making Deckard a replicant is a cheap Shyamalan-style plot twist. I just chalk it up to Scott being a very good director, but not a very intellectual one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.