Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'll be there opening day. At least he didn't say the dreaded "3D" word
Give him time. He pushed for it with Robin Hood (and lost), so it appears he's quite open to it.
Old 04-23-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, hm. I am definitely interested because Scott's directing it and I trust him to at least have good judgment, but I'm a little skeptical about the direction it's going in. So now we know that the "Space Jockey" incident only happened 30 years prior? Seems to lessen the scope of the original film's suggestiveness.

Also, how on earth could this story possible involve humans? Seems to me that the Space Jockey is another species that had no contact with humans. So, will it be an entirely animated movie with giant Space Jockey guys as the heroes or will they find some way to retro-fit the Alien universe to have humans involved with that mummified ship BEFORE Ripley's crew finds it? Seems like a shaky premise.
Old 04-26-10, 08:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Empireonline just posted an article that Scott intends to do 2 prequels - not just 1. I'm starting to smell overkill here....

26 April 2010
Two Alien Prequels On the Way?
Ridley Scott says yes
Source: Collider
Two Alien Prequels On the Way?

Everyone's been using the Robin Hood press junkets as an opportunity to ask Ridley Scott about the Alien prequel. We've already reported most of the details, via MTV, but it turns out there's a bit more, which Collider unearthed as they grabbed Sir Ridders on his way past. And it's not insignificant. In short, two films.

Yup. "It'll be two," says Ridley. "Prequel one and two, then Alien 1." Asked if he'll be filming them back to back, his response was, "At the moment I'm just trying to get the first one out."

Whether this actually happens, of course, remains to be seen. It's also far from certain that Scott would direct both. Perhaps, for example, he might take a producer role on the second and hand the reigns over to Carl Erik Rinsch, as was originally the intention for Prequel 1.

All wild speculation at the moment, but head over to Collider for the rest of the interview, where Scott also talks about the hassle of shooting in 3D (3D doesn't like the dark, so he's going to have to shoot Alien 5 in dazzling brightness and then darken it in post-production). The screenplay is into its fourth draft, and release is planned for late 2011 or 2012.
Old 04-26-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh....3D
Old 04-26-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'd rather have Scott make a sequel to Alien and Aliens... have Ripley, Hicks, and Newt wake up from those sleeper pods and say something about awful dreams about prisoners and clones they had while they were asleep and then thwart an Alien invasion of Earth.
Old 04-27-10, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You gotta wipe out those AVP movies as well.
Old 04-27-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'd rather have Scott make a sequel to Alien and Aliens... have Ripley, Hicks, and Newt wake up from those sleeper pods and say something about awful dreams about prisoners and clones they had while they were asleep and then thwart an Alien invasion of Earth.
THAT is the best Aliens idea I've ever heard. Make it happen!
Old 04-27-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just do a reboot.

Not like a remake, but just a reimagining. I suppose it could just be a sequel to Aliens. Forget about 3 and 4. I wouldn't have the same characters but it could have the same basic story of the first 2, but just different. Different characters. Different settings. Same basic plot but different plot points ya know.

I'd rather see that than a prequel. We'll see but I have a feeling a prequel or prequels would try too hard to tie into the orginal films and it'll turn into a mess. A story revolving around the space jockey seems really contrived to me and like others have said, how could humans possibly be involved in that?
Old 04-27-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh and absolutely NO CGI whatsoever. The original costumes are freaking awesome and could never be improved on. The later sequels proved that. I mean, I personally don't think there are too many things in movie history that are as creepy as when the alien crawls out of the wall in the original. How could CGI possibly improve that? Was the queen in AVP any better than the queen in Aliens? Nope.

Like I said, do kind of a reboot, but try as hard as possible to keep the feel of the originals and definitely means no 3D either.
Old 04-27-10, 01:40 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

give cameron the sequel to the prequel!
Old 04-27-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully FOX stays out of the kitchen on this movie.

We don't need another "Alien 3" screw up.
Old 07-28-10, 11:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So Damon Lindelof from Lost is doing a re-write of a script by Jon Spaihts, that is so different that it could actually be done as it's own film. Now, I've never seen Lost but from what people say of his involvement, this doesn't bode well. And Ridley only came on after reading the first script so why does he need a re-write of something that could be it's own film.

I read a script purported to be the one Spalhts wrote and I thought it was good, much better than one would expect
Spoiler:
The Space Jockeys are terraformers in a non-industrial sense in that they grow/farm planets after using these special alien creatures to convert the atmosphere of the planets. These aliens are the aliens from the original films but in the form of ants. When a human explorer/colonist is recovered with a cat, the aliens start to jump the evolutionary chain and become a bigger version of the ant-form but still not big enough to infect humans. It's only after an egg of this version is left on a Space Jockey ship does it jump to the aliens we know. It takes the idea from Fincher's Alien3 in that the alien will have the characteristics of the host.

It was with fault but I don't see how a radical change would be any better.
Old 07-29-10, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca

I read a script purported to be the one Spalhts wrote and I thought it was good, much better than one would expect
Spoiler:
The Space Jockeys are terraformers in a non-industrial sense in that they grow/farm planets after using these special alien creatures to convert the atmosphere of the planets. These aliens are the aliens from the original films but in the form of ants. When a human explorer/colonist is recovered with a cat, the aliens start to jump the evolutionary chain and become a bigger version of the ant-form but still not big enough to infect humans. It's only after an egg of this version is left on a Space Jockey ship does it jump to the aliens we know. It takes the idea from Fincher's Alien3 in that the alien will have the characteristics of the host.
That sounds really fucking bad.

And I mean "bad" in the AVP/AVP:R sense...
Old 07-29-10, 03:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That doesn't make one goddamned lick of sense.

Why couldn't they have done Alien 5 with Ripley on earth? That would have been interesting.
Old 07-29-10, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
So Damon Lindelof from Lost is doing a re-write of a script by Jon Spaihts, that is so different that it could actually be done as it's own film. Now, I've never seen Lost but from what people say of his involvement, this doesn't bode well. And Ridley only came on after reading the first script so why does he need a re-write of something that could be it's own film.

Spoiler:

It was with fault but I don't see how a radical change would be any better.
That sounds terrible and if that's the direction they're going, just stop. I rather them not make another film at this point.
Old 07-29-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
That sounds terrible and if that's the direction they're going, just stop. I rather them not make another film at this point.
I'd rather they not make another film 20 years ago.

Has there been any other series to spawn this many sequels that nobody likes?
Old 07-29-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

Why couldn't they have done Alien 5 with Ripley on earth? That would have been interesting.
That would be terrible. We've already seen two examples of why Aliens need to stay off our planet.

Personally, Scott or not, I don't see any reason this film, let alone TWO films, needs to be made.
Old 07-29-10, 10:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I'd rather they not make another film 20 years ago.

Has there been any other series to spawn this many sequels that nobody likes?
Only two really, unless you're counting the Predator stuff. And lots of people like Alien4, and everyone should love Alien3.
Old 07-29-10, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Re: "Alien" Prequel (Ridley & Tony Scott to produce).

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
Hope it's a origins story and not a remake.

Either way there is no way this will not suck dick.
Old 07-29-10, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lamphorn

Also, how on earth could this story possible involve humans?

Weyland-Yutani made a deal with the Space Jockey race. The movie will go into that I predict.
Old 07-29-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess it was just me, but the idea of seeing the evolution of the Alien species sounded interesting. Although I could not see how the visual of tiny ant-sized Aliens could not be laughter-inducing.
Old 07-29-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
I guess it was just me, but the idea of seeing the evolution of the Alien species sounded interesting. Although I could not see how the visual of tiny ant-sized Aliens could not be laughter-inducing.
I would imagine that the smaller aliens would not look like the "evolved" version, since they have not yet adopted all of the characteristics of a humanoid host. And I'm not sure they would necessarily have to be "ant-sized", but rather "ant-like" in their behavior (think army ants, only larger). I think seeing a swarm of thousands of smallish (say, 8-12 inches in length) insects that have some aggressive abilities similar to the aliens we all know could be very creepy.
Old 07-29-10, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
That would be terrible. We've already seen two examples of why Aliens need to stay off our planet.

Personally, Scott or not, I don't see any reason this film, let alone TWO films, needs to be made.
No, we've seen two examples of giving the series to less than A-list talent. You've got Ridley Scott on board, let's see him continue Ripley's story. Or really anything other than the synopsis we've seen.
Old 07-29-10, 05:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I would imagine that the smaller aliens would not look like the "evolved" version, since they have not yet adopted all of the characteristics of a humanoid host. And I'm not sure they would necessarily have to be "ant-sized", but rather "ant-like" in their behavior (think army ants, only larger). I think seeing a swarm of thousands of smallish (say, 8-12 inches in length) insects that have some aggressive abilities similar to the aliens we all know could be very creepy.
Yeah, that's exactly it; they are ant-like in the sense that they have the legs and form of an ant but are much bigger than a normal ant. And there's a scene where they swarm a guy and start to bite the shit out of him, ripping flesh off the bone.

I couldn't do the script justice with a paragraph but I was surprised that it sounded bad. It's definitely a hard sci-fi film so I could see that as having lower appeal.

I would have rather seen something where the space jockeys find the aliens and are forced to decide whether to annihilate them or let them live as they're a legitimate species.
Old 07-29-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really hope this two part "origin" story doesn't suffer from "Boba Fett Syndrome".

Sometimes mysterious origins are more interesting than having everything laid out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.