Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010): Contemporary Sci-fi/Action

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Inception (Nolan, 2010): Contemporary Sci-fi/Action

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010): Contemporary Sci-fi/Action

Dark City is my favorite Sci-fi movie of the last couple deacdes (was never a big fan of The Matrix, the middle drags (Keanu in the "real world") and it never really recovers) so I can understand people wanting Inception to be better. That said, Dark City had a pretty weak finale (imo) so Inception certainly has a shot, but it would have to do a lot of work to match and pass the scifi neo-noir awesomeness of Dark City's first 2/3rd.

I'm just hoping for an engaging, well told story. Nolan is generally pretty good about that, we'll see how this one goes.
Old 06-28-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ add MOON to that list
Old 06-28-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Nolan referenced that flick in an interview I read with him concerning this upcoming movie. From the trailers I'm concerned that the dreams look a little pedestrian and not especially "dreamlike". I'm no great creative genius but even my dreams are a little more exciting than simply inverting gravity in familiar structures. Nor do dreams always feel real as Nolan seemed to be claiming from an earlier quote. I suspect this is more of a "switch your brain off" movie than most this director has so far made - "it's my take on a Bond movie".
To the best of my knowledge, these are manufactured dreams. Something akin to The Matrix.
Old 06-28-10, 02:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's called a running gag. (Like my Megan Fox posts.) It used to be a staple of comic plays and movies. Back when people had attention spans and could place things in context. Now, it's called trolling. Whatever the hell that means...
Mod Note: No, a running gag is actually funny. If you think that this sort of ragging on the film is appreciated or humorous, then perhaps you should reconsider your audience and your jokes. Cut it out.
Old 06-28-10, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
When I think of the best sci-fi films I've seen in the past 15 years - 12 Monkeys, Gattaca, Matrix, Dark City, Mindgame, The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Watchmen, Donnie Darko, Primer, Children of Men, Sunshine, A Scanner Darkley, District 9, The Road - I see them as all equally awesome. I don't know why people are arguing whether or not Inception is going to be better or worse than Dark City.
I've seen most of that list and will agree w/ you on the ones I've seen. The Matrix however, a film which I really like a lot, cuz of it's production design and execution of the type of story it's telling...BUT...the one thing that drags it down from being perfect, which it could've been, is the dialogue. Some moments in there it's just dead and flat. Otherwise..it's a damn fine film. The actions the characters do the twists in the story is fine..it's just sometimes...that dialogue gets boring.
Old 06-28-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I've seen most of that list and will agree w/ you on the ones I've seen. The Matrix however, a film which I really like a lot, cuz of it's production design and execution of the type of story it's telling...BUT...the one thing that drags it down from being perfect, which it could've been, is the dialogue. Some moments in there it's just dead and flat. Otherwise..it's a damn fine film. The actions the characters do the twists in the story is fine..it's just sometimes...that dialogue gets boring.
Well, I wouldn't call the dialogue boring. For a sci-fi film, I think it's just the opposite - I don't remember such interesting dialogue in any recent sci-fi flick such as in the Matrix movies. The Matrix films are pretty talky and serious. I can understand that it's tricky to get away from the serious dry preachy tone it has. The only characters that put some sort of life into their dialogue is Agent Smith, Cypher, Link, and Merovingian. The coldness of these films don't bug me one bit.

If you are expecting something along the full-of-lifeness of that new Star Trek flick, that was just an action movie in outer space which was a great movie mainly due to character chemistry, not interesting dialogue or story.
Old 06-28-10, 04:38 PM
Banned

I understand what you mean. I liked most of the character's dialogue say for Neo, Trinity, Tank, and Dozer. Everyone else is fine. I LIKE Morpheus' preachiness cuz it's good. It's just very weak for me in those 4 characters I named. Predictable actually. Everyone else, while maybe it can be predictable to some, it's the delivery that sells it to me EXCEPT for one line Cypher says near the end of his character's involvement in the film.
Old 06-30-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

30 second clips of each song from the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer have been released. I personally really like Mombasa (7) and Time (12) the best.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inception-Mu...15171&sr=301-1
Old 06-30-10, 08:11 PM
Banned

you can really tell that it's the guy who did TDK's music from 12, not that that's bad but you can tell.
Old 06-30-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
you can really tell that it's the guy who did TDK's music from 12, not that that's bad but you can tell.
Yeah, track 12 sounds a lot like Sunshine's soundtrack with a little bit of The Dark Knight mixed in to me.
Old 06-30-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Yeah, track 12 sounds a lot like Sunshine's soundtrack with a little bit of The Dark Knight mixed in to me.
"Time" reminds me more of Zimmer's amazing score for "The Thin Red Line"
Old 06-30-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Dark City is my favorite Sci-fi movie of the last couple deacdes (was never a big fan of The Matrix, the middle drags (Keanu in the "real world") and it never really recovers) so I can understand people wanting Inception to be better. That said, Dark City had a pretty weak finale (imo) so Inception certainly has a shot, but it would have to do a lot of work to match and pass the scifi neo-noir awesomeness of Dark City's first 2/3rd.

I'm just hoping for an engaging, well told story. Nolan is generally pretty good about that, we'll see how this one goes.
I feel the same way about Dark City. I love art deco vibe and agree about the weak finale. I've endured too many sci-fi films I really wanted to love but ended up disappointing me... Sunshine, Moon, to name a couple.

My favorite "modern" sci-fi films are probably Children of Men and Gattaca. Both of those were more character driven personal stories.

I like Dark City a whole lot but a big budget Memento has me salivating. I hope Nolan pulls through.
Old 06-30-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I feel the same way about Dark City. I love art deco vibe and agree about the weak finale. I've endured too many sci-fi films I really wanted to love but ended up disappointing me... Sunshine, Moon, to name a couple.

My favorite "modern" sci-fi films are probably Children of Men and Gattaca. Both of those were more character driven personal stories.

I like Dark City a whole lot but a big budget Memento has me salivating. I hope Nolan pulls through.

I hope he does as well. However, this seems like a movie that's asking a lot of its audience (aka they have to think), which is never a good idea in the summertime.
Old 06-30-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I hope he does as well. However, this seems like a movie that's asking a lot of its audience (aka they have to think), which is never a good idea in the summertime.
Hopefully the Dark Knight fan boys come out in droves to make it do well at the BO.
Old 06-30-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The aforementioned statement is so sad....but true.

This film will not go over well with the mouth-breathing, text messaging dunderheads who frequent the multiplexes.
Old 07-01-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think there's hope for it. Maybe I'm just being naive, but most movies this summer have been so dreadfully dumb, audiences might be starved for something a little more sophisticated.
Old 07-01-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I think there's hope for it. Maybe I'm just being naive, but most movies this summer have been so dreadfully dumb, audiences might be starved for something a little more sophisticated.
I'm sure it will do fine at the box office. WB has done a fantastic job marketing the film and I think for most people it will be a nice refresher from the usual summer junk. I don't really think it will be as hard to follow for the average movie goer as critics are leading us to believe, I think most people just won't be able to predict the ending before it happens. I doubt WB would have give Nolan a budget of $200 million if they thought audiences wouldn't be able to follow it.
Old 07-05-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Beaks review at AICN.

It's got spoilers and it's such a favorable review you may pass out reading it. He ends the review with this...

"With INCEPTION, Nolan joins the company of Coppola, Lean and not too many others as a filmmaker who treats the big canvas with the respect it deserves - but with the steely verve of a chess player who can see dozens of moves ahead.
Pure cinema at its best feels like dreaming with your eyes wide open. Cinema doesn't get much purer than INCEPTION."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45679
Old 07-05-10, 05:44 PM

This doesn't really look any more sophisticated than the Matrix. And that did great while having the disadvantage of being rated R.

Im sure the movie will be good, but It seems to be 10 years too late. Matrix, Dark City and Nolans own Memento said really all that was left to be said on this subject, in a pretty definitive manner.
Old 07-05-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Labor
Im sure the movie will be good, but It seems to be 10 years too late. Matrix, Dark City and Nolans own Memento said really all that was left to be said on this subject, in a pretty definitive manner.
I don't agree. I think what Lost did with alternate dimensions was pretty unique and still has a lot of room to be explored further.
Old 07-05-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this will shit all over The Matrix and Dark City in terms of quality, and I like both those movies.

Good news on the positive review, even though they gush over everything.
Old 07-05-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
Absolutely correct, sir. In fact, I'm so glad they never bothered making Goodfellas. The Godfather movies said all that needed to be said about mob movies in a definitive manner.
Old 07-05-10, 07:26 PM

Not really comparable.

Those movies (Matrix, et al) were very much products of their time. As of now, the whole theme, considering the times we have been living in, is inconsequential at best, and naive at worst. Not really going to discuss it more, since that would bring it into politics.
Old 07-05-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

From the few whom have seen it, INCEPTION sounds like one of those movies that is going to only do moderately well at the box office, but turn into a cult classic - ala BLADE RUNNER, DARK CITY and the like.

I have the feeling it might be TOO good for the average moviegoer - much in the way Kubrick's movies used to play.

This is a good thing, btw.
Old 07-05-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

6 for 6 on rotten tomatoes thus far.

A wildly entertaining and dazzling mind-trip not to be missed. Kubrick would have been proud. -Pete Hammond (Box Office Magazine)

A devilishly complicated, fiendishly enjoyable sci-fi voyage across a dreamscape that is thoroughly compelling. -Kirk Honeycutt (Hollywood Reporter)

If movies are shared dreams, then Christopher Nolan is surely one of Hollywood's most inventive dreamers, given the evidence of his commandingly clever Inception. -Justin Chang (Variety)

Inception is a masterpiece. Making a huge film with big ambitions, Christopher Nolan never missteps and manages to create a movie that, at times, feels like a miracle. -Devin Faraci (CHUD)

A stunning achievement and the most completely entertaining film I've seen in years. -Todd Gilchrist (Cinematical)

Inception is an exhilarating cinematic experience that suggests there is still room, even in the blockbuster world, for big ideas and dangerous emotions, and that may be the single most thrilling thing about it. -Drew McWeeny (HitFix)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.