Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't even aware that McG was signed to direct the film. All I had heard is that Warners was going back and forth between Brett Ratner and McG after Wolfgang Peterson dropped out of Superman vs Batman.

In all honesty, everything I've seen has(Batman Begins notwithstanding) convinced me that Warner Bros is completely incapable of turning out a decent superhero flick and Superman looks to be no different.
Old 07-12-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 622 Likes on 501 Posts
Do we need another Superman movie right now or in the near future? How about movies featuring some of the other DC favorites, particularly, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman?
Old 07-12-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Do we need another Superman movie right now or in the near future? How about movies featuring some of the other DC favorites, particularly, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman?
Please don't give Halle anymore ideas.
Old 07-12-04, 08:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts
It's been made official that McG is OUT!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Please don't give Halle anymore ideas.
No, no, listen... it could work. There isn't just one Wonder Woman, but there's actually a whole line of Wonder Women.
Old 07-12-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sort of holding out hope for the Wachowski Brothers to get a crack at a Superman film.
Old 07-12-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Charlie's Angels" director McG is no longer attached to shoot the next installment of "Superman," becoming the latest filmmaker to leave the long-stalled project. A Warner Bros. spokesperson confirmed that the studio and the director have amicably parted ways.
Best thing that's happened to this doomed project!

Amicably...

Warner Exec: "Hey McG could you step in my office"
McG: "Sure!"
Warner Exec: "McG, You suck, and your name is stupid. You're fired."
McG: "You're absolutly right. I'll just get my stuff."

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 07-12-04 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI...

McG, New York City is SPIDER-MANs City!
Old 07-12-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Old 07-13-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 517 Likes on 355 Posts
I shudder at the impending train wreck of a film that will probably come of all this BS.
Old 07-13-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

another vote for David Fincher.
Old 07-13-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
I shudder at the impending train wreck of a film that will probably come of all this BS.
Impending train wreck?
Old 07-17-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
It seems that we have a new Superman rumour every week. It seems this week is Singer's turn.

This is getting tiresome...
Old 07-17-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not quite sure if it's true(it is from AICN), but Harry reports that Bryan Singer will direct Superman Returns. I will wait for an official announcement before getting up in arms about this, but I do hope it's not true.
Old 07-17-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PLEASE NO BRYAN SINGER!!!! I don't need superman in black LEATHER (oops)!!!!! Keep Bryan Singer with the x-men! NO SUPERMAN!!!! ugh!!!!

WHY CAN'T WE GET A GOOD SUPERMAN MOVIE MADE!?!?!?!!?!??!

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 07-18-04 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know why, but I'm not overly enthused about Singer at the helm. His direction just doesn't provoke a strong reaction out of me, perhaps he was the safest choice Warner Bros. could have found for the project.
Old 07-17-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Superman is a black leader?!?

Damn, that's some revisionism. But I always loved Earth-B.
Old 07-17-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Donner is still alive and well and making movies (albiet very mediocre ones) I don't see why he couldn't handle the job.
Maybe the studios want fresh blood, which actually means directors who don't mind annoying overuse of cgi.
Old 07-17-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
PLEASE NO BRYAN SINGER!!!! I don't need superman in black leader!!!!! Keep Bryan Singer with the x-men! NO SUPERMAN!!!! ugh!!!!
I assume you mean "leather". If not, then why couldn't Superman be a black leader? I can see it now... "he's got flying power, heat vision power, and he FIGHTS the power!"

WHY CAN'T WE GET A GOOD SUPERMAN MOVIE MADE!?!?!?!!?!??!
Hey, quit hogging the "See-into-the-future-so-that-you-can-judge-films-that-haven't-even-been-written-let-alone-made-yet" glasses! I wanna peak!

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
Donner is still alive and well and making movies (albiet very mediocre ones) I don't see why he couldn't handle the job.
Well, for one thing... those mediocre movies. Secondly.. he got quite a raping during the making of Superman II, so I doubt he's too happy about the prospect of making another.

Maybe the studios want fresh blood, which actually means directors who don't mind annoying overuse of cgi.
Singer doesn't annoyingly overuse CGI. At least he hasn't in the films of his I've seen. He's one of those directors, as far as I can see, that much prefers practicals and leaves CGI effects for impossible shots (like planes flying through a field of tornadoes).
Old 07-17-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
God damn, I hope this movie isn't fu@*ing over-run with CGI, just find a guy who can fly, is as dense as steel, and who had heat vision...damn directors today using CGI as a crutch!
Old 07-17-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I assume you mean "leather". If not, then why couldn't Superman be a black leader? I can see it now... "he's got flying power, heat vision power, and he FIGHTS the power!"

Hey, quit hogging the "See-into-the-future-so-that-you-can-judge-films-that-haven't-even-been-written-let-alone-made-yet" glasses! I wanna peak!

Well, for one thing... those mediocre movies. Secondly.. he got quite a raping during the making of Superman II, so I doubt he's too happy about the prospect of making another. Singer doesn't annoyingly overuse CGI. At least he hasn't in the films of his I've seen. He's one of those directors, as far as I can see, that much prefers practicals and leaves CGI effects for impossible shots (like planes flying through a field of tornadoes).
I disagree. I think have he had the chance to direct the new film he would do it. He needs it. And I feel it most likely be done much better since he knows the material and found a really good tone like the first 2 films. Richard lester's superman 3 was awful because the director emphasized the slapstick/comic element way too much. Donner directed most of 2, that's probably why that film is as strong as it is. As for his mediocre films of late, He probably either doesn't get the material he wants or has become laxed into just enjoying the riches of "Just having a job to do". That would put him into the "Hack" category, yes. But he's made enough films in his career that rise above that label. He just needs good a script to jumpstart his engine... A new superman film would be a great thing for him.

I like the 2 x-men films, Singer emphasized the characters more than usual. The story called for it. I didn't think he over-used the cgi compared to some other big films of the type, i just know there was more there than I cared for. Obviously a movie about superman would need CGI nowadays. It's a pre-requisite. But there's too much temptation nowadays to clog a movie with it to make it "larger than life".

It's all about the tone. I don't think singer would get the tone right. McG certainly would have ruined things with a way too colorful and pop soundtrack'd piece of garbage. Thank god someone in the right minds didn't allow that to happen.

If donners not a choice, i'd vote for another tim burton/johnny depp pairing. Sure it would be an odd superman movie, but it sure would be an interesting one!

Last edited by Sunday Morning; 07-17-04 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Hahaha! the only thing McG would have done would have made a better movie than Michael Bay would have... and that's not saying much!
Old 07-18-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about Peter Jackson?
Old 07-18-04, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

who in the hell calls themselves McG anyways.. sounds like the guy has some kind of superority complex to give himself weird names. ok from now on i'm DrG....
Old 07-18-04, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Superman is a black leader?!?

Damn, that's some revisionism. But I always loved Earth-B.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.