Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Official "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Official "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...anyone else catch the Kill Bill trailer?
Old 09-13-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Eh, whatever guys, I went with a group of friends and had a blast. Laughed our asses off through a lot of it, it was fun, couldn't ask for more.
Old 09-13-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to side with you tor, it was good stuff. enjoyed myself through it all and the performance and the action was to some degree the same as the other two. a film to sit back and just enjoy
Old 09-13-03, 04:40 PM

I enjoyed it. The plot wasn't fine-tuned, but the performances were fun (particularly Depp, who is just talented enough). I wish they had used Willem Dafoe more effectively, however. The DV look was occasionally rough but often looked as good as film, although I still don't get the point of why people are spending so much time trying to duplicate a format that is already available. But, as I've said, it was a fun film, a little wittier than a popcorn flick needs to be, and I laughed out loud on a number of occasions, both from the jokes and the outlandish setpieces. Not great, but a solid action piece. And I generally don't like action pieces.
Old 09-13-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
although I still don't get the point of why people are spending so much time trying to duplicate a format that is already available.
Cost has been the main thing.. Rodriguez swears by HD simply because it's cheaper and more mobile (and less time restrictive), I think their goal is to get it to look like film, only at a fraction of the cost and pain.
Old 09-13-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This would be a wait for the DVD for me...but my wife really wants to see it.

Here's hoping I'm not disappointed. Seems you either love it or hate it.
Old 09-13-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally think the blood on the camera was an accident, but Rodreguez didn't want to reshoot.
Old 09-13-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This film is short on character development, and plot development. Things happen, but how you get from point A to B to C are not quite explained, which leads to a lot of stuff happening, but not cohesively so. While the macro-story is far too big and unwieldy for the short run-time of the film, the character bits are lacking (though Depp does gets to chew the scenery in an understated style).

There are many loud explosive scenes, and slow-motion shots of bodies being sent into the air after being riddled by gun shoots. The problem is that there is not much of an emotional connection when someone gets shoot or killed in the film. The musical score is bombastic (in an overdone fashion) in many scenes, much to the fault of the director who also scored the film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 09-13-03, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone who thinks this movie is one of the worst they have ever seen must have only seen about five movies in their life. Seriously, This was a decent movie. Alot of action, and alot of plot lines to follow and double crosses but over all a decent movie by any standards. I got to give props to Johnny Depp. Over the past few years I have begun to realize that JD has been turning in some of the best performances in roles I've ever seen. He truly approaches each role as an artist and not just and actor. I look forward to more great roles from him. He really elevates a movie, he did for this one and he did for the pirate movie and I can't imagine anyone other than him in Fear and Loathing.
Old 09-13-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I thought the movie was pretty good. I liked Johnny Depp's performance, however I do agree that "el mariachi" himself was VERY under-used(if thats a word). He is the man, and should have been in it more!
Old 09-13-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Ok.

After reading the negative posts on here, i'm not going to get all dramatic, like: "What are you TALKING ABOUT??? This is the greatest thing to hit modern cinema since its creation!!!" or "Ya'll are blinder then Depp if you couldn't see how good this flick was".

See, I understand everyone will have differing opinions. And regardless of how WRONG they've been, it's cool man..it's cool.

As far as i'm concerned, this was a VERY entertaining movie. I enjoyed it very much. Depp was great. So was Banderas, Blades & Salma. Of course the flick could've had more Salma. [In fact, a oil wrestling scene between her & Eva Mendes would've been the icing on the cake..] I respect RR for wanting to do everything he possibly could. Hell, if I was making a film, that's what i'd wanna do.

All in all, a GREAT way to spend close to two hours, it's in my top 5 flicks of 2003, and a DEFINITE purchase when it comes out on DVD [as a trilogy boxset with remastered versions of Mariachi & Desperado, right Columbia/Tri-Star? ]

It gets an A from me.

or 5 stars.

or
Old 09-13-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I personally think the blood on the camera was an accident, but Rodreguez didn't want to reshoot.
I'll take this. But only in a, "Wow, look at that blood on the camera. That's neat. Leave it," kind of way.

I don't think it was a case of laziness or missing the blood spots or whatever.
Old 09-13-03, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
I would argue with this except for the fact that RR didnot use the blood splatter effect anywhere throughout the rest of the movie and why would he have chosen that scene in particular. My gut tells me it was an added effect but I could see your explanation as possible.
Old 09-14-03, 12:05 AM

...not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma, not enough of Salma...
Old 09-14-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say 'not enough plot', but it's all the same. How about this...in the end,
Spoiler:
HOW DID DEPP GET THAT FAKE ARM?
Stuff like that drives me nuts.
Spoiler:
All of a sudden the FBI chick is Dafoe's daughter? hahaha, please.

And yes, I know how to have fun during a movie. There are well made action-fests out there. I love them. Then there are poorly made action movies (think Ecks vs. Sever...hey, both have Banderas...a trend?).

Lets see...using people who died in Desperado as different characters here? That's a 'no-no', big time. At least bring back Buscemi and Tarantino if you're going to pull that crap. Mixing up stories...was Selma Bucho's girl or Marquez's?

The action was just plain boring compared to what he's done in the past. The worst Jet Li movies have shootouts and fight scenes that are done 100 times better.

I spent too much time hating it to enjoy it. RR's going to have to win me back big time.

Last edited by Tarantino; 09-14-03 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-14-03, 12:58 AM
Banned

Dissapointing but still fun.

For some reason the movie decides to wrap itself up in the last 5 minutes. No epic gunfight or anything. Lame.

Dare I say it? Spy Kids3D was better.
Old 09-14-03, 01:29 AM

I just got back from seeing it a second time and the editing problems were even more apparent. Scenes aren't even linked in any kind of logical way. The action sequences are pretty incoherent as well - Rodriguez never sets up the location. The digital photography looked pretty damn good for the most part, but was very distracting at some points (bad artifacting and motion blurs during action sequences). I'm starting to wonder if Rodriguez is limiting himself too much, both financially and creatively. It wasn't a disappointment, but I know Rodriguez can do better. The performances are top notch all around, especially Depp's. A couple questions: Why does FBI agent Jorge pour some of his wine on the ground and why are El Mariachi and Carolina chained to each other during the first flashback scene?
Old 09-14-03, 01:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw it earlier tonight and I'm still not sure what I thought. The action scenes were cool and the cast was great, but I had a lot of trouble following what was going on. It definitely was not nearly as good as I expected.
Old 09-14-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the chained together thing I figure someone came in and chained them together so it would be easier to kill.. though if you chained them together, you could have easily killed them then. this scene alone is reason why it would have better served the film for that "part 3" to have been fleshed out a bit more. to little in the flash backs to just give us a taste of what the story was about but not enough to actually make us care enough.

as for the wine.. I'm not sure. I've seen it done before. I believe it is something about purification. a sort of cleansing.. Not sure though, so don't quote me on that one.
Old 09-14-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
is that a honor thing for a dead homie..? ya know, tip ya 40oz yo.
Old 09-14-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well not as bad as I thought it would be.

RR seemed to do what many directors try to do in bad sequels. He tried to take everything that was successful from the first film and make it better...when thats not what needed to be done.

Depp was wonderful....what a great actor.

Definitely won't be buying this one but if I got it as a gift I wouldn't complain.
Old 09-14-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I wanted to like it, but I didn't.

Depp was great, the last 20 minutes were good, and there were a few decent action sequences, but the rest of the movie felt thrown together and not nearly epic enough. It was like it was directed by someone other than the man responsible for El Mariachi and Desperado (both of which I loved).
Old 09-14-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I wanted to like it, but I didn't.
I entered the theater with the same positive attitude. Unfortunately, the story was incoherent, rambling, and completely lacking interest. IMO, Depp's performance was the only saving grace in the movie.
Old 09-14-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by scrimshaw
A couple questions: Why does FBI agent Jorge pour some of his wine on the ground and why are El Mariachi and Carolina chained to each other during the first flashback scene?
is that a honor thing for a dead homie..? ya know, tip ya 40oz yo
There's the answer for the first q. The second... I have no idea. I have some questions myself!

Why is Salma billed as a star, and yet is in the movie for about 2 minutes?
When did Carolina (Salma) learn to kick so much ass? And when was she supposed to have been Marquez's girl?
The CIA wanted Marquez to kill the Mexican president, and then have El turn around and kill Marquez. Did they say why? Wouldn't that have left Barillo to take over Mexico?

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. There are definitely some problems with it, but it was still worth my $6 easily.

In fact, a oil wrestling scene between Salma & Eva Mendes would've been the icing on the cake..
That would be pricele$$.
Old 09-14-03, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by RocShemp
A friend of mine saw this movie today (movies start on Thursdays in Puerto Rico) and told me it sucked. Basically he said Desperado (which we both love though we acknowledge it has a paper-thin plot) is an epic compared to this flick. Bascially he said the visuals are fantastic but the story is random at best. Also he told me a lot of scenes go absolutely nowere and you leave the theatre not knowing what movie was meant to be attatched to all the cool shots and action sequences.

I'm still going to see this later today but the news is very disappointing considering that Rodriguez has called this his epic in the saga of El Mariachi.
I agree with your Friend...THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST Movies I have seen in at least 10 years....I am a HUGE fan of Desperado but this Movie BLEW.....Your friend hit the nail on the head....The movie made little to NO sense...Destroys Desperado and leaves you going...HUH!?!?!

Bruce

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.