Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Punisher - S: Tom Jane

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Punisher - S: Tom Jane

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually the Punisher comic has just been pushed into Marvel's "Max" line, which is "adults only". so it makes sense the movie would be R.

My only problem is that its being released on the same day as Kill Bill Vol.2 ... oh decisions decisions.
Old 02-19-04, 10:46 PM

Received 820 Likes on 535 Posts
Originally posted by cactusoly
My only problem is that its being released on the same day as Kill Bill Vol.2 ... oh decisions decisions.
Treat yourself to a double feature... pay to see Kill Bill Vol. II... then walk into The Punisher,
Old 02-20-04, 05:30 AM
Banned

YES! Now I'm DEFINITELY going to see this! I LOVE John Woo style gunplay! It's like a beautiful art piece you see in a gallery...
OH, YEAH!
Now I can use my built up, already climbing, gift certificates for my local theatre!
Old 02-20-04, 08:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by cactusoly
actually the Punisher comic has just been pushed into Marvel's "Max" line, which is "adults only". so it makes sense the movie would be R.

cut out of work early that day and make it a double feature.
Old 02-20-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AICN has a decent review of Punisher up.... the reviewer seemed to enjoy it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17056

MATT
Old 02-20-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
And here comes the brigade of "R != better." The point is that the Punisher character from the comic books should translate to an R rating on the big screen. No ifs, ands, or buts.
I've never read the comics and had no question that this would be rated "R". Hmmmm, Kill Bill Vol. 2 will only be good if it's rated "R". You just kind of assumed it would be.
Old 02-20-04, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
And here comes the brigade of "R != better." The point is that the Punisher character from the comic books should translate to an R rating on the big screen. No ifs, ands, or buts.
No to single you out, but what's with the holier-than-thou attitude on these boards that anyone who cheers for a R must be a mindless, indiscriminate idiot? Have you considered that when most people cheer for the R, it's just a given that they do so because the film's subject matter can benefit from the freedom of the rating? You guys shouldn't need everyone to spell it out carefully for you every time they celebrate it.
Old 02-20-04, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
AICN has a decent review of Punisher up.... the reviewer seemed to enjoy it.
Color me shocked that somebody over at AICN would post an enthusiastic early review for a comic book movie.
Old 02-20-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Color me shocked that somebody over at AICN would post an enthusiastic early review for a comic book movie.
How can I ever trust a review from a guy named McWeeny.
Old 02-20-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by John Spartan
No to single you out, but what's with the holier-than-thou attitude on these boards that anyone who cheers for a R must be a mindless, indiscriminate idiot? Have you considered that when most people cheer for the R, it's just a given that they do so because the film's subject matter can benefit from the freedom of the rating? You guys shouldn't need everyone to spell it out carefully for you every time they celebrate it.
Not sure why you quoted me, because that was my point. Punisher SHOULD be an R rated film. But from many posts here and in DVD talk of people asking about ratings, there are a handful of people that are quick to post "blood and gore doesn't make it a better movie" or something like that.
Old 02-20-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Read the review, the one thing that gets me is that in every newer interpretation (including the Dolph Lungrin crapfest) Frank Castle is a former cop. Why not go back to the original source with him being a special forces commando on leave when his family is killed. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited by cactusoly; 02-20-04 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by talemyn
Wow . . . you really seem to be excited about the violence . . .

Here . . . maybe this will keep you satisfied until the movie comes out . . .

LOL! Well...this aint Spiderman ya know...Frank's a bad mutha who just wants revenge in the worst possible way! Im so pumped for this!

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 02-20-04 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
...this movie is really straying too much from the source to grab my attention. .
i must be out of the loop, but how is it straying?
Old 02-20-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Hey, if Garth Ennis is at all involved in the script (and he IS) - I'm there on opening day.

(FYI, Garth Ennis is one of my favorite comic book writers who first got recognition on his amazing run on Hellblazer. He then moved on and created the book, Preacher and has been writing the more recent Punisher books, which have been very fun. He is a very good writer with a great grasp of dialogue. But who knows how "pure" his script will remain.)
Old 02-20-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

judging from the review at AICN, the story looks to be equal parts of many different storylines. the origin (albeit tweaked), and the mini series that preceded the current book among others.
Old 02-21-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R-Rated
Old 02-21-04, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Why does it only have brief nudity? That usually means we only get to see a fanny for 2 seconds.
Old 02-22-04, 07:53 AM

The new trailer is up:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/thepunisher.html
Old 02-22-04, 07:59 AM
Banned

Old 02-22-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
Wish I could say that the trailer got me pumped...it didn't.

I will withhold final judgment until I see the movie, but right now it just looks like any other vengeance driven shoote em up. Granted, it was good to see some characters from Ennis' recent run (The Russian, played by "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash according to imdb, wouldn't you know it, he injured himseld doing this as well! ), but overall looks like it's just trying to make its money from opening weekend and sell a few soundtracks along the way.

In terms of how it strays from the source material, I refer mostly to the origin of the character. Granted, Hulk did the same, but reained true to the spirit of the comic and to the character of Banner. That is why I said this movie will rest upon Jane's interpretation of the character as to how the fanboys will view it. Right now, Jane seems to be doing a respectable job, but the movie looks too much like The Punisher vs. Gabriel from Swordfish.
Old 02-22-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by necros
Why does it only have brief nudity? That usually means we only get to see a fanny for 2 seconds.
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing RRS fanny, or Laura Harring's for that matter. My wet dream would be for the two of them to have an encounter similar to the one Harring had in Mulholland Drive.

Of course the nudity could very well be Thomas Jane's bare butt, so don't get too excited.
Old 02-22-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Of course the nudity could very well be Thomas Jane's bare butt, so don't get too excited.
Remind me of the shot in the Lundgren version were he is kneeling in the tunnel and he's go no clothes no and you can see his . . . erm . . . well his "two veg" are sort of . . . um . . .

Let's just say that there is some definite "danglage" going on . . .

<shudder>
Old 02-26-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, Moriarty loved it, comparing it to classic films by Don Siegel and John Frankenheimer...
Old 02-26-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah I read that review earlier in the week. I basically am going into it with an open mind, and not reading anymore reviews about it. Just play a wait and see game.
Old 02-26-04, 02:58 PM

LOL, I think Goldberg would make a better punisher than this guy....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.