Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks - Series & Fire Walk With Me

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Twin Peaks - Series & Fire Walk With Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks - Series & Fire Walk With Me

Completely ruins the scene!! Sending my copy back.
Old 08-08-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

With the amount of TV overscan that was standard in 1990, that microphone never would have been seen by the original viewers in the first place.
Old 08-08-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I don't disagree with this. However, the problem with watching the international ending this way is that it does not clearly distinguish "This footage is a dream" vs. "This is really happening to the characters."

From a spoiler perspective, the alternate pilot ending is safe to watch after you've seen the first three episodes, but it still can't be considered canon. It's a curiosity.
Well, yeah, it doesn't. But you can watch the ending as a meta-experience by itself.
Old 08-08-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

There is also a mic removed in the Leland Palmer court scene.
Old 08-08-14, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the deleted scenes were pretty neat. I LOVED the fight scene. Hilarious and brutal. That should have been kept in, I think.
Old 08-09-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheDuke
I thought the deleted scenes were pretty neat. I LOVED the fight scene. Hilarious and brutal. That should have been kept in, I think.
The raw brutality of it really surprised me. I had assumed that it would be a purely comedic scene. Yet it somehow manages to be very funny and very painful at the same time in a way that only Lynch can do.
Old 08-09-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm still not entirely convinced Lynch actually shoots anything. I think he has some sort of gizmo he attaches to his head and it emerges from his brain pan on celluloid or a hard drive.
Old 08-11-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm amazed at how much coverage the show is getting right now, saw a poster up at a local theater that's marathoning it soon.

Spoiler:

Which made me look it up a nd realize a big box set just came out
Old 08-11-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? I haven't seen so much as an ad on TV.
Old 08-11-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Mostly on Facebook, so coverage for my little sect of the world.
Old 10-10-14, 10:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

So I'm watching the series again (finally) and I'm only about five episodes in. One thing I've noticed is that nearly every shot is framed with a LOT of head room at the top. Typically, shows are framed such that there's barely a sliver of head room in wider shots, and in close ups, they're much tighter than what we see in Twin Peaks. At first I thought this was just a David Lynch quirk, but it's common in every episode so far.

I mention this because it makes me wonder if they had 1.85:1 (or less likely at the time, 16:9) in mind while shooting, but protecting the entire 4:3 frame for broadcast since no TV shows would have aired any other way at the time.

Does anyone know anything about this by chance? Am I just crazy? Just based on what I've watched thus far, I feel like all important information is in the 1:85 frame, not the full 4:3 frame. I'm not going to stop watching it in 4:3, obviously, but I wonder if anyone involved has spoken on the record about the framing of the show.

Josh mentions overscan above, but was overscan really THAT bad at the time to cause productions of any type to preemptively frame everything with so much headroom?

Last edited by Dan; 10-10-14 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
So I'm watching the series again (finally) and I'm only about five episodes in. One thing I've noticed is that nearly every shot is framed with a LOT of head room at the top. Typically, shows are framed such that there's barely a sliver of head room in wider shots, and in close ups, they're much tighter than what we see in Twin Peaks. At first I thought this was just a David Lynch quirk, but it's common in every episode so far.

I mention this because it makes me wonder if they had 1.85:1 (or less likely at the time, 16:9) in mind while shooting, but protecting the entire 4:3 frame for broadcast since no TV shows would have aired any other way at the time.

Does anyone know anything about this by chance? Am I just crazy? Just based on what I've watched thus far, I feel like all important information is in the 1:85 frame, not the full 4:3 frame. I'm not going to stop watching it in 4:3, obviously, but I wonder if anyone involved has spoken on the record about the framing of the show.

Josh mentions overscan above, but was overscan really THAT bad at the time to cause productions of any type to preemptively frame everything with so much headroom?
Could also of been paying homage to Kubrick as he loved showing the ceilings and a lot of head room
Old 10-10-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Ron Garcia just appeared on the American Cinematographer podcast to talk about shooting the Twin Peaks pilot. I haven't listened to it, but it wouldn't surprise me if that particular topic is brought up.

That said, yes, overscan was that bad.
Old 10-11-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ooh, that sounds like a cool podcast....
Old 10-11-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I listed to the Ron Garcia podcast. There are some interesting bits, but he tends to ramble on a bit. About 39 minutes into it he starts talking about the framing. This is the point where he starts rambling the most (I'm still not quite sure what the f he was talking about), but the short version is that yes, 4:3 was absolutely the intended ratio.
Old 10-11-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
...but the short version is that yes, 4:3 was absolutely the intended ratio.
I think if it were not, they would have released a 1.78:1 version by now.
Old 10-11-14, 03:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Well I figured we'd eventually see it in 16:9 on broadcast TV or something. Not that I want it that way, but it could definitely "work" in that ratio, I think.
Old 10-12-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Never saw the show so I've been trying it out on Hulu. For the life of me, I can't imagine this being the hit it was. Cheesy acting and bizarre story. What am I missing? Only on episode three if that matters.
Old 10-12-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There was nothing like it at the time. It started a revolution in TV that has lead to the shows we have now. It will feel dated to most people trying to watch it now for the first time.
Old 10-12-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I still think that is a type of show that you either love it or hate it. I had a younger co-worker watch this show recently and didn't know why I like it so much. She found it weird.
Old 10-13-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Never saw the show so I've been trying it out on Hulu. For the life of me, I can't imagine this being the hit it was. Cheesy acting and bizarre story. What am I missing? Only on episode three if that matters.
I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to when you say cheesy acting, but the bizarre story is part of what makes the show so special. Have you ever seen a David Lynch film before? His sensibilities are pretty unique and there's had never been anything like it before (nor has there been since) on television.

If you've watched 3 episodes and don't like it, then you're probably just not going to like it. Unlike some shows which take a while to settle in, Twin Peaks arguably never reaches the heights of those first few episodes.
Old 10-13-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
In those days, overscan was pretty much a minimum of 10% on newer televisions and could be up to 20% on older televisions. So, yeah, it really was that bad.

Also, composing for 4:3 has different aesthetic priorities than composing for widescreen. Putting the actor's head up near the top of the screen looks more awkward in a squarer frame than it does in a wider frame.
Old 10-13-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I still think that is a type of show that you either love it or hate it. I had a younger co-worker watch this show recently and didn't know why I like it so much. She found it weird.
David Lynch? Weird? You don't say...

And as far as the 'cheesiness' of TP, it was conceived as a sort of primetime soap opera like Dallas or Dynasty, so it follows many of those conventions.
Old 10-14-14, 09:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
In those days, overscan was pretty much a minimum of 10% on newer televisions and could be up to 20% on older televisions. So, yeah, it really was that bad.
up to 20%? Holy shit. I mean, I remember our old CRT sets having overscan, but that's... terrible. I had no idea it was that bad, so that explains why this show is safely within the overscan-free zone.

Also, composing for 4:3 has different aesthetic priorities than composing for widescreen. Putting the actor's head up near the top of the screen looks more awkward in a squarer frame than it does in a wider frame.
True enough.
Old 08-04-15, 02:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

BUMP!
Well, a year after this set came out, I've finally finished re-watching the series and FWWM, most of which was in the last couple months.

Here are my brief thoughts:
- I love this show.
- Yes, most of Season 2 is unnecessary, but it still (mostly) works for me.
- The episode directed by Diane Keaton may be one of the worst.
- The S2 finale still gives me chills.
- I appreciate FWWM more than ever, even if it's still very flawed.
- Audio sync issues were tolerable when using the 2.0 track, but nearly unwatchable with the 7.1 DTS MA track. I'm not sure if it's my Oppo 103 or my receiver (Onkyo 606), but definitely disappointing.
- I watched a few of the FWWM deleted scenes last night. Something is up with the visual presentation of these. I feel like there must have been some sort of multi-conversions going on between when this footage was originally remastered by MK2, and when this set finally got released. They just have a 'smooth' motion to them that's not present in the rest of the series or FWWM film. It's hard to describe exactly, but (to me) it's clearly different; as if converted from 24fps to 25fps and back, or something equally strange.
- I'm looking forward to finishing off the rest of the deleted scenes this week, along with any of the remaining new extras.
- It's a damn shame that "Season 3" was delayed to 2017. I can't wait to see what they've got in store for us.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.