Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

missing audio too

Originally Posted by Clownunderthebed
Another alteration noticed.... kinda nitpicky.... during the still photo montage at the beginning of the end credits, the camera clicking sounds between each image shown has been removed. Saw this in theater and I have owned every home format release so the audio change definitely jumped out at me.
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan
I'm watching the credits right now and I noticed that too. I thought there was camera "shutter" sounds when each picture changed.
Old 09-30-12, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be the guy to say I remember seeing this the theater and will call bullshit on the bluray. Bens arrival is definitely during the day. There's actually a small montage of the change to nighttime, I believe just before Ben tries the phone. Im glad I didn't this, I would have been pissed. I seem to remember reading or hearing Savini stating that he wanted it liked having some of the terror happen during the day.
Old 09-30-12, 02:06 AM
Banned

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6MZnqPnTxU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6MZnqPnTxU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 09-30-12, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by junglalien
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6MZnqPnTxU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6MZnqPnTxU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
What the fuck? That shit looks fucking awful. It makes Echo Bride look like Criterion.
Old 09-30-12, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this for real? I've seen the screencaps, but can a few more DVD Talkers weigh in? I'd like to see a few more user reviews. I hate to say, but this is why I said a page or two back why I never buy a Blu-ray without seeing screencaps first. I really hope this teaches some people a lesson.
Old 09-30-12, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Well, in this case, you couldn't wait on the screencaps. Regardless of the results, it seems like no one at TT actually watched the actual transfer. If this was the version Savini wanted, why not announce that in advance, or even now? Much of the brewhaha could have been avoided or at least minimized. They should know by now how obsessive (irrationally or otherwise) horror fans are.
Old 09-30-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeeesh. glad i didn't upgrade this. don't fuck up CHRISTINE twilight time.
Old 09-30-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
don't fuck up CHRISTINE twilight time.
There's no reason to think they would - other than Demetrius and perhaps one or two others, their transfers have ranged from very good to superb.
Old 09-30-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I know I'm gonna catch Hell for this, but I cancelled my NOTLD 90 bluray.... because Vudu has it in HDX for $14.

*puts on flame suit*
quoting myself, but damn I'm glad I went this route. The HDX version is consistent with my memories of the theatrical film.

What blows me away is that some folks at blu-ray.com are saying that they like the altered film and it adds to the atmosphere of it! What?! Smh.
Old 09-30-12, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
^
Well, in this case, you couldn't wait on the screencaps. Regardless of the results, it seems like no one at TT actually watched the actual transfer. If this was the version Savini wanted, why not announce that in advance, or even now? Much of the brewhaha could have been avoided or at least minimized. They should know by now how obsessive (irrationally or otherwise) horror fans are.
Well, I almost bought the thing- I'm glad I didn't. I guess- and I'll say it despite the fact I may catch flack for it- all those people who bought multiple copies for the intent of selling it ruin it for people who want to be more careful when choosing where to spend their money. I'm for capitalism as much as the next guy, but part of the reason this sold out so quick was because of the potential scalping of the title. Twilight Time blu-rays are expensive enough as it is- especially for mostly bare bones editions, and now fans are potentially going to have to buy a disc sight unseen- because of the flippers? I find that pretty irritating.

While the thought entered my head to pre-order a disc of unknown quality- just so I could avoid paying an outrageous price down the road. You can be assured that it won't ever again. Even Criterion fucks things up from time to time, not much- but it happens. And to take this tangent, at least we get more for our money- and most Criterions can still be had for less than a Twilight Time disc if you're a smart shopper.
Old 09-30-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
yeeesh. glad i didn't upgrade this. don't fuck up CHRISTINE twilight time.
I heard the car is now green.
Old 09-30-12, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by junglalien
The difference is dramatic from DVD to blu-ray though the video and screen caps look darker than what I watched on my TV. If you're used to the DVD version and accept it as the official look (and no reason not too) of the film, you'll hate this. I generally don't like revisionist history but I do prefer this color scheme and if they offer an exchange later on I'll keep my disc. If nothing else, if Sony were to release this title down the road and fix the look, at least there'd be a distinct difference between it and the TT version. Didn't Halloween have a release that altered the color?
Old 09-30-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the option is to see the movie on DVD compared to dark blobs on BR, I'll keep my DVD and never open and sell off my BR. To late to cancel it now.
Old 09-30-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I read this from Twilight Time DVD Label's Facebook page:
Just a quick note to those folk disappointed with the Blu-ray transfer of Night of the Living Dead: Today is Sunday, and we won't be able to speak with any of the studio team until tomorrow. However, we are very limited in what we can do. If it is determined that the Blu-ray is exactly what was signed off by the filmmakers and / or, other involved personnel, then we will be sure this accurately reflects everyone's intentions. On the other hand, should it be discovered that some error occurred, somewhere between telecine and master, then that would be another matter. We will know the answer in a matter of days...in the meantime all we can do is have SAE refund consumers who want to return their discs...
Apologies for any inconvenience.
Old 09-30-12, 03:36 PM
Banned

Old 09-30-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually prefer the darker tint - I had always thought the film's bright, bland, atmosphere-free look was horrible and completely inappropriate for the material.
Old 09-30-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy shit! Looks like I'll be selling off my sealed copy, assuming anyone wants it now.

Honestly, I've been watching this film on VHS and DVD since it came out, and I'm completely accustomed to the color scheme. The Blu-ray looks terrible; far too dark and murky. I don't think it adds anything, and for me it detracts from the picture.

Really lame, TT. I like this company less and less...
Old 09-30-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I like this company less and less...
Other than the high prices, they've been doing some wonderful work. I highly doubt neglected masterpieces like Rapture or Swamp Water would ever have seen the light of HD day otherwise.
Old 09-30-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Other than the high prices, they've been doing some wonderful work. I highly doubt neglected masterpieces like Rapture or Swamp Water would ever have seen the light of HD day otherwise.
Rapture is one heck of a great film. Like many others I had never heard of it but decided to take a chance on it due to the word of mouth. Incredible performances all around, but Gozzi is so good she's almost otherworldly.

I like Swamp Water quite a lot too. Glad to have them both.
Old 09-30-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Gozzi is so good she's almost otherworldly.
Agreed - it was actually painful to watch her at times.
Old 09-30-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Holy crap! I totally doubt that Savini approved this. There's a make-up interview out there where he talks about how much research he did on the make-ups by visiting autopsies and funeral homes to check out how people look when they're dead. He talked about the yellow tint that the flesh gets (like jaundice) and how the skin tightens back in - it pulls down a bit, too. Looking at that print - the dark one - looks like all of his research went to shit if he in fact approved this print. It makes no sense, because you can't even see the make-ups. That seemed to be the whole point.
Old 09-30-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

See, I don't believe that. Quality A/V work aside - which should be a given considering their prices - they don't do enough to make their releases attractive. Imagine if NOTLD '90 had been given the same treatment as a Scream Factory release, minus the extra supplements. TT could include original key art, reversible covers, anything really.

I just don't see the kind of care going into their work that other niche labels put in. They appear to put in just enough effort to deliver a good product, but nothing above that. For $35 a pop, I want great.
Old 09-30-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm glad to see TT respond quickly about the matter. Hopefully, Sony made a mistake and they will correct it.
Old 09-30-12, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
See, I don't believe that. Quality A/V work aside - which should be a given considering their prices - they don't do enough to make their releases attractive. Imagine if NOTLD '90 had been given the same treatment as a Scream Factory release, minus the extra supplements. TT could include original key art, reversible covers, anything really.

I just don't see the kind of care going into their work that other niche labels put in. They appear to put in just enough effort to deliver a good product, but nothing above that. For $35 a pop, I want great.
I agree. I mean couldn't they at least number their discs or maybe get a different case- sort of like Criterion? I think if they enhanced the release by packaging and appearance alone- it would really go a long way. I mean I guess this sounds sort of nit-picky. I understand laserdiscs used to cost an arm and a leg- but they were a very niche format- and I wouldn't have been able to afford them.
Old 09-30-12, 05:50 PM

I actually prefer the darker tint - I had always thought the film's bright, bland, atmosphere-free look was horrible and completely inappropriate for the material.
Right. It fits it better. It is "night" of the living dead.
In all fairness, If all I saw we're these screen captures I'd be scratching my head in amazement too. I watched the disc and preferred it. But I haven't watched my DVD repeatedly so I didn't have a preconceived idea how it should look. At least TT is offering refunds for those who are not happy. After talking with Sony maybe they'll do more. That's more than fair.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.