Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Or discs from Criterion which went bad?
I was just making a joke but honestly if that's the best you got on disc reliability...I'll take that any day over the transience of streaming content.
Old 09-03-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't believe some are doubting Mad Max flew off the shelves. It was the summer blockbuster, and it was good! It's just the right type of movie for fanboys to gobble up.

I didn't buy it, as there will likely be a box set someday once the current incarnation has finished its arc.
Old 09-03-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts

Mad Max will be one of the year's biggest sellers. You can bet that studios will eye how it sells on DVD and Blu-ray very closely. Physical media sales will likely rebound in the 4th quarter above 2015's prior levels. Gifts make up a nice chunk of sales and people would rather stick something like a Blu-ray under the tree than a $20 VUDU credit.
Old 09-04-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I can't believe some are doubting Mad Max flew off the shelves. It was the summer blockbuster, and it was good! It's just the right type of movie for fanboys to gobble up.
Who's doubting it? The point we're trying to make is if retailers can figure out why MM moves more units than other movies that have made as much or more at the BO, and if they can somehow translate that into better understanding the market in order to better cater to it.
Old 09-04-15, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Who's doubting it? The point we're trying to make is if retailers can figure out why MM moves more units than other movies that have made as much or more at the BO, and if they can somehow translate that into better understanding the market in order to better cater to it.
Wonder if anyone has done a correlation analysis of various variables between how well it did in theaters and bluray/dvd. Though this would probably require the precise bluray/dvd sales data, which doesn't appear to be publicly disclosed information.
Old 09-04-15, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Mad Max will be one of the year's biggest sellers. You can bet that studios will eye how it sells on DVD and Blu-ray very closely. Physical media sales will likely rebound in the 4th quarter above 2015's prior levels. Gifts make up a nice chunk of sales and people would rather stick something like a Blu-ray under the tree than a $20 VUDU credit.
Blu-ray usually recovers some in the 4th quarter, however it will still have a YoY loss (unlike DVD who might be up at the end of this year).

I know you're super pro-physical media to the point of claiming Netflix will raise their prices 150%, but it's pretty hard to deny that sales are dropping every year as more and more consumers stop buying and more and more retailers reduce shelf space.

You would be surprised for the gift cards. Hulu and Netflix both have cards available and those are wonderful gifts to anyone who wants 1-2-3 months of service on their phones, TVs, tablets, video game consoles, handheld game consoles, microwaves, fridges etc
Old 09-04-15, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Err - has it? We don't have even have numbers showing how MM did, just anecdotal. Didn't a few stores offer the digital copy early if they pre-paid the full price of the disc? Guess we just ignore that?
Old 09-04-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no illusions the Blu-ray market will start expanding year over year. Those days are definitely gone. It is now about slowing the attrition rate and waking people up to the fact that the digital streaming/ownership market will have its own pitfalls. I will be happy if we get another 4 or 5 solid years out of Blu-ray.
Old 09-04-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I tend to not believe what the blue shirts say either, but at that particular Best Buy they were sold out of the standard BD copy and I walked out with nothing. I'm willing to believe he was telling the truth. I did have him go in the back and check, because I have run into situations where the goofballs just never restocked the shelves. Another blue shirt came out with this guy and told me they put all the copies they had out and if it wasn't on the shelf, they didn't have it.
(This is strictly anecdotal and on a tangent).

Of the blueshirts I've come across over the years, I've found that the nerdier and more "asperger/autistic/robotic" a particular clerk is, the more likely they were to tell the truth.

But on the other side of the coin, I've found that many nerdier and "asperger/autistic/robotic" type clerks, are the same ones who can't keep their mouths shut about how awful (or good) something is. (ie. They were very opinionated and "fanboy-ish"). It was as if they were like "walking human wikipedia pages", spewing out everything.

In the end, I rarely ever saw these really nerdy asperger/autistic/robotic types working long term at BestBuy, Walmart, Circuit City (when it was still around), etc ...
Old 09-04-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Asperger?

Old 09-05-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

really good article that I think belongs in this thread.

http://flavorwire.com/535883/the-pre...eping-it-alive
Old 09-05-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chadm
really good article that I think belongs in this thread.

http://flavorwire.com/535883/the-pre...eping-it-alive
Good article, but it was already posted in this thread a couple days ago.
Old 09-05-15, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Wonder if anyone has done a correlation analysis of various variables between how well it did in theaters and bluray/dvd. Though this would probably require the precise bluray/dvd sales data, which doesn't appear to be publicly disclosed information.
I think Jurassic World will be a good litmus test for this.

Here's a film that made an enormous amount of money at the box office but I'm not sure audiences really liked the film enough to warrant buying it on disc and watching it over and over.
Old 09-05-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 335 Likes on 254 Posts

On the other hand, I didn't see it worth spending close to $20 to see Jurassic World one time, but I'll pay that much to add it to my collection.

Hulu and Netflix both have cards available and those are wonderful gifts to anyone who wants 1-2-3 months of service on their phones, TVs, tablets, video game consoles, handheld game consoles, microwaves, fridges etc
I would rather get a lump of coal than a subscription to Hulu!
Old 09-05-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I think Hulu's worth it just for all the Criterion collection movies they carry. Of course, I own all the Criterion discs I want, but if I didn't, Hulu would be a no-brainer.
Old 09-05-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

I think Hulu's worth it just for all the Criterion collection movies they carry. Of course, I own all the Criterion discs I want, but if I didn't, Hulu would be a no-brainer.
I'm thinking of getting a subscription just for the CC stuff.
Old 09-06-15, 10:29 AM
Suspended

And yet you probably have thousands of discs and cassettes that have lesser quality compared to Hulu.
Old 09-06-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

I just got a Hulu subscription.
Old 09-06-15, 11:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just got a Hulu subscription.

I've enjoyed having it so far. There's also enough non-Criterion fare to justify having a subscription.
Old 09-06-15, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rather get a lump of coal than a subscription to cable or satellite tv.

I don't really watch many movies on Netflix or Hulu. To me, they are a replacement to cable/satellite tv, not a replacement for owning movies. 99% of the stuff I watch on both Netflix and Hulu are TV shows.
Old 09-06-15, 05:21 PM

And yet you probably have thousands of discs and cassettes that have lesser quality compared to Hulu.
None of my discs or cassettes have constant network logos on the screen, nor do they break into the end credits. What killed Hulu for me was when I watched "Mysterious Skin" and a silly menu popped up right at the emotional ending! Absolutely ruined it- I cancelled right after that.
Old 09-06-15, 05:39 PM
Suspended

None of my discs or cassettes have constant network logos on the screen, nor do they break into the end credits. What killed Hulu for me was when I watched "Mysterious Skin" and a silly menu popped up right at the emotional ending! Absolutely ruined it- I cancelled right after that.
And yet, like I said, the quality of a good portion of your collection is not as good as Hulu.

But I guess the trade off is not seeing a logo at the bottom of the screen? You can enjoy a fuzzy 4:3 480i picture on tapes they may or may not have tracking issues and discs that may or may not skip.

I'll go back to watching tons of 1080p content with no issues since I opt not to get the cheapest and slowest internet.
Old 09-07-15, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

On the other hand, I didn't see it worth spending close to $20 to see Jurassic World one time, but I'll pay that much to add it to my collection.

There's no reason, absolutely none, to pay full retail price for discs. Wait a few months, and the price drops in half. Wait longer, and they hit the $5 bin.
Old 09-07-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E. Honda
There's no reason, absolutely none, to pay full retail price for discs. Wait a few months, and the price drops in half. Wait longer, and they hit the $5 bin.
E. Honda, the link in your signature is dead.
Old 09-07-15, 05:25 PM

There's no reason, absolutely none, to pay full retail price for discs.
There's even less reason to pay full price for movie tickets- I keep wondering just how much higher the prices for those will have to get before we see a major drop-off there. With all the bad press physical media gets these days, movie theaters deserve some too- especially since their primary advantage of big screens and an experience you can't duplicate at home becomes irrelevant as many new theaters are being built with tiny screens in small auditoriums.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.