Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Troma on Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Troma on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Troma on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah, but if it looks like crap, it looks like crap. I'm glad Adam didn't just give the film a higher PQ review because it was Troma's first BD release Good to see DVDTalk doesn't suck up to the studios to get more releases and is willing to let a bad review get a bad review.
The flick on BD looks a helluva lot better than just about any truly independent $450,000 35mm movie I've seen lately. Everyone knows Troma doesn't have a lot of money, and it's a wonder that they were actually able to spend some to get a decent HD transfer done. Is it reference-quality? No, but this is Troma. It doesn't need to be.

Troma's used to bad reviews, so this is nothing new. DVDTalk is no different -- no one sucks up to Troma.
Old 04-02-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Lanphear
The flick on BD looks a helluva lot better than just about any truly independent $450,000 35mm movie I've seen lately.
Clerks and Chasing Amy look better, both films shot on 16mm with $25k and $250k budgets respectively.

Ti West's House of the Devil, which was also shot on 16mm, looks fantastic. I don't know what the budget was, but I know it's under a million.

The Signal, which was shot on prosumer based Canon XL-H1 cameras for a budget under $50k, looks better too.

Troma needs to stop making cry-baby bitch excuses and just dedicate time on creating good transfers. Creating a good transfer does not cost that much extra, but it will cost more dedication. If Blue Underground can make low-budget films from thirty-years ago look fantastic on Blu-ray, Troma could've done the same thing for a low-budget film just shot in the past five years.
Old 04-03-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks good enough for me.
Old 04-22-10, 05:58 PM

Tromeo & Juliet is turning into ichi the killer now. Delayed again until may 25th....
Old 04-22-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dan31655
Tromeo & Juliet is turning into ichi the killer now. Delayed again until may 25th....
As were the other 2 titles set to come out next Tuesday.
Old 05-25-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dvdempire has Tromeo and Juliet for June 29.
Old 05-25-10, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
dvdempire has Tromeo and Juliet for June 29.
I am hoping that dvdempire is wrong, as they have been on many occasions. I really want this movie.
Old 05-25-10, 11:15 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Troma had 5 blu-rays scheduled to drop today:

Class of Nuke Em High (Amazon now has a June 1st release, but we know this title is already manufactured, other spots have this as a June 8th release)

Tromeo and Juliet (Amazon now has a June 1st release I believe the June 29th release to be correct)

Dark Nature (Amazon now has a June 1st release, some stores have this in stock)

Surf Nazis Must Die (delayed until further notice)

Pep Squad (delayed till who knows when, who cares)

Troma kills me, I'm a long time supporter but why schedule 5 releases if you can't even keep one of them. Why bother with releasing Pep Squad and Dark Nature on blu-ray before some catalog titles that would assure more income. I know they have the Mothers Day master ready for blu-ray, but I imagine they are waiting for the remake to hit theaters - I also imagine they are waiting for Toxic Avenger blu-ray until the remake comes to life.
Old 05-25-10, 11:27 AM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41793...-nuke-em-high/
Old 05-25-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want screen shots damnit.
Old 05-25-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So is the only movie out right now Poultrygeist?
Old 05-25-10, 11:39 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
So is the only movie out right now Poultrygeist?
correct, the 5 i mentioned above are also coming along with confirmations on Mothers Day and Def by Temptation.
Old 05-25-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today from Amazon I got Class of Nuke 'Em High and Dark Nature. I noticed that Amazon has them listed as preorders, but somehow they shipped mine.
Old 05-25-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

So how do they look?
Old 05-25-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nuke 'Em High looks better than the old DVD, but the sound quality isn't so good. In some scenes there is a humming noise but it eventually stops and the audio gets better. Oddly enough there is no Lloyd Kaufman intro.

Haven't gotten a chance to check out Dark Nature yet.
Old 05-26-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Troma kills me, I'm a long time supporter but why schedule 5 releases if you can't even keep one of them.
Same here. Long time supporter but I figured out years ago they don't give a shit, or they're just hardheaded and don't know what they're doing. The only thing they know is that no matter how poor quality something comes out, in regards to video or audio, Troma fans will buy it anyway.

They sure aren't winning any new customers over with that sort of practice. Given their financial situation, you'd think that would be the event to make them realize they could grow better with better products.

Just be glad Lloyd hasn't figured out he could cut more costs by switching to cgi for all the effects in his movies. That would be awful.
Old 05-26-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Nuke Em High looks amazing considering the source material. There's specs all over the source and grain (where there should be) but the colours and detail FAR trump the DVD. It looks like they didn't touch the film at all in the transfer process and frankly I'd rather have film grain and specs than DNR. It's a very film-like presentation, IMHO and for the $13.99 I paid on Amazon I'm extremely happy. The sound isn't improved at all, but I didn't expect it to be.

Unlike Poultrygeist it actually gets me excited to see the improvements they can make on their older transfers. Can't wait for Tromeo and Juliet (which hopefully will hit next week, finally). Hoping for Troma's War and Terror Firmer sometime later this year/next year.

Last edited by RobLutter; 05-26-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter
I think Nuke Em High looks amazing considering the source material. There's specs all over the source and grain (where there should be) but the colours and detail FAR trump the DVD. It looks like they didn't touch the film at all in the transfer process and frankly I'd rather have film grain and specs than DNR. It's a very film-like presentation, IMHO and for the $13.99 I paid on Amazon I'm extremely happy. The sound isn't improved at all, but I didn't expect it to be.

Unlike Poultrygeist it actually gets me excited to see the improvements they can make on their older transfers. Can't wait for Tromeo and Juliet (which hopefully will hit next week, finally). Hoping for Troma's War and Terror Firmer sometime later this year/next year.
Was the sound on yours causing a humming noise on parts of it (like the scene were the gang leader makes out with the teacher)? On mine the sound was terrible, but pretty good on the deleted scenes and all of the extras.
Old 05-28-10, 06:53 PM

I watched this yesterday and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the video quality. I think Troma got their second blu-ray right, the only thing that was missing are the usual tons of extras. I mean, why no hd introduction Lloyd? I always enjoy those so much.
Now I'm actually excited for Troma blu-rays, if only they would keep the release schedule.
Old 05-29-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

troma needs to get their shit together and release MAD DOG MORGAN on blu
Old 05-30-10, 11:29 PM

I just got my copy (along with Dark Nature). I should have a review up on my blog by the middle of the week, but from what I have seen, Class of Nuke 'em High looks really good. And they didn't open up the mattes like other companies do. I know going from a 1.85 to a 1.78 is not that big of a deal, but to me it counts for something.
Old 05-31-10, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cannibal the Musical pl0x
Old 06-01-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are any of these showing up in green cases? My copy of "Nuke 'em" arrived in a blue one. I was a little disappointed. Was Poultrygeist in a green case?
Old 06-01-10, 05:27 PM

My screener copies (which are the retail ones with a hole in the barcode) have not come in green cases.
Old 06-01-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Are any of these showing up in green cases? My copy of "Nuke 'em" arrived in a blue one. I was a little disappointed. Was Poultrygeist in a green case?
It was only green in the promo materials.

I got an e-mail from Troma today saying June 15th for Tromeo & Juliet.
Troma Entertainment is proud to announce the June 15th release of Tromeo & Juliet on Blu-ray. Like the three Blu-ray titles released earlier, Tromeo & Juliet has been remastered in High Def for your viewing pleasure. Be sure to get your copy through our store so that you can see Shakespeare the way he was meant to be seen: the Troma way!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.