Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Troma on Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Troma on Blu-ray

Old 02-29-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Troma on Blu-ray

The remake has a street date of May 8, so the original should finally come out around that time.

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Day/dp...566535&sr=1-14
Old 04-08-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Father's Day is getting a BD release on June 12.

A limited edition 3-disc version of FATHER’S DAY will be released on June 12, just in time for Father’s Day. It’s the perfect gift for your dad. Only 10,000 copies will be available, and the release will contain the film on blu-ray, a making-of documentary on DVD and a CD soundtrack
Old 04-08-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember Lloyd posting this on facebook or twitter a couple months back and I asked if it would end up like Mother's Day and get it's release date pushed back over and over.
Old 04-08-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How the fuck does Father's Day get a possibly confirmed Blu-ray release and we're still waiting for Mother's Day and Surf Nazis Must Die that were announced years ago and still haven't been released?
Old 04-08-12, 11:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Here's an interesting quote from Llyod Kaufman

Thanks for your kind words about Troma, and your constructive criticism, in your article on High-Def Digest this past Monday. The reason we don't release more films on blu-ray, as you mentioned, is because it's expensive and the sales don't always warrant the transfer. Historically we have found it impossible to get our blu-ray titles into mainstream chain retailers.In fact we are economically blacklisted generally-not just home video.Even major Troma films like Trey Parker's Cannibal! the Musical and Citizen Toxie have never played on any form of US television. This means that for Troma the choice comes down to losing money on blu-ray releases or producing new films - we aren't in a position to do both. Based on the feedback we receive from audiences, new Troma movies have more appeal to our fans than more blu-ray releases. We are licensing some of our titles to external companies, like the upcoming Mother's Day, but if you have any suggestions or connections at other companies that do this, we'd be very grateful to hear them. - LK
Old 04-09-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Here's an interesting quote from Llyod Kaufman
Maybe if he released titles people want. Their "mascot" and even their logo includes The Toxic Avenger and yet that wasn't one of the first titles released? I understand them releasing their newer movies first (i.e. Poultrygeist) but seriously? No Toxic Avenger? (You have no idea how many people I've met who have heard of TA but haven't seen it) And I think Cannibal needs to be released as well, and they could easily promote the release now that Trey Parker & Matt Stone have the #1 Broadway musical right now.
Old 04-09-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With our luck, Lloyd Kaufman probably sold the Blu-ray rights for Mother's Day to Echo Bridge.
Old 04-09-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
With our luck, Lloyd Kaufman probably sold the Blu-ray rights for Mother's Day to Echo Bridge.
Based on how each transfer of Toxic Avenger gets worse and worse with each new edition, Echo Bridge would probably do a better job. I don't want Troma messing things up on their older films.
Old 04-09-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Well. Good thing I sold my toxic avenger box set. Shit.
Old 06-07-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...-ray-this-fall

Pretty cool shite right here!

We're proud to exclusively announce that Anchor Bay Entertainment has decided to release Charles Kaufman's 1980 horror flick MOTHER'S DAY for the first time on DVD and Blu-ray September 4th of this year. You can pre-order either format as early as August 8th.

Per an official presser:

Originally released by Troma Entertainment in 1980, the film shocked critics, but garnered a huge cult following among fans of the genre, including Hostel director Eli Roth, and director of Saw II-IV, Darren Lynn Bousman, who helmed the 2012 remake starring Rebecca De Mornay.

Directed by Charles Kaufman and written by Kaufman and Warren Leight, the original Mother’s Day follows three young women abducted by homicidal momma’s boys Ike and Addley, while camping. Ike and Addley are goaded by their “Mother” into violent and graphic acts of torture against the three women. While doing everything to stay alive, the three women muster the courage escape, and serve their maniacal abductors some old-fashioned justice!

Featuring an all-new HD transfer, and never-before-seen bonus features, including commentary, behind-the-scenes footage, and a newly created featurette with genre favorite Eli Roth (Producer of The Last Exorcism, Grindhouse and Hostel 1 & 2), fans can finally add this long-awaited cult classic to their library, and new fans can experience the terror of Mother and her bloodthirsty boys for the first time.

Wow, word is the original MD is Roth's favorite flick, a topic he addresses on the bonus features. A must own then, right?! Hell yeah it is!

Again, MOTHER'S DAY hits DVD & Blu-ray for the first time September 4th.
So, uh, now that Troma is allowing other studios to distribute their titles... can we get Blu-ray releases of the Troma films people want?
Old 06-08-12, 05:11 PM

I really hope they'll release The Taint on blu. It was a perfect title for Trom to acquire.
Other than that, yeah. I'd love a properly restored Toxie in HD.
Old 06-08-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
I really hope they'll release The Taint on blu.
Crazy, murderous cocks in HD.
Old 06-08-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually not 100% surprised that they're licensing their films out to other distributors over here. Apparently Arrow Films is starting to release their stuff in the UK...
Old 06-09-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Come on, Toxic Avenger!
Old 09-05-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up Father's Day, #60/5000, but haven't watched it yet. How are the picture quality and special features on Mother's Day?
Old 09-09-12, 07:04 PM
Cool New Member

I hope Terror Firmer gets a release!
Old 09-09-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Picked up Father's Day, #60/5000, but haven't watched it yet. How are the picture quality and special features on Mother's Day?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mother.../21359/#Review

Supposedly fantastic 1080p picture, but like the past Troma releases it provides a lossy Dolby Digital 2.0.

Since it's an Anchor Bay release, I'll wait for the eventual price drop where I can get it dirt cheap considering I haven't paid more than $4 for the other Troma titles I own on Blu-ray. I just wish someone else can get their hands on these release: Blue Underground, Dark Sky, Synapse, any company that genuinely gives a flying fuck about catalog releases.

At the rate we're going, I can see the next round of Troma Blu-ray releases being put out by Image.
Old 10-10-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So now we're getting the Japanese Cut of The Toxic Avenger on DVD, but still no Blu-Ray in sight
Troma presents the DVD for Toxic Avenger: Japanese Cut. Among the residents of Tromaville is Melvin, a nerdy, emaciated janitor at the local health club. As the chemicals take hold of his body, Melvin turns into the Toxic Avenger, doer of good, and brutal mauler of evil! This special “Japanese Cut” contains footage not seen in the current release.
http://www.amazon.com/Toxic-Avenger-...keywords=troma
Old 10-10-12, 10:11 PM

what's the japanese cut?
Old 04-25-14, 09:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

The Toxic Avenger is finally coming to Blu-ray.
Old 04-26-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
88 Films in the UK is also releasing The Toxic Avenger on Blu, supposedly with additional extras...
Old 04-26-14, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
It took long enough.

I did like Return To Nuke 'Em High, it actually looked pretty nice on Blu-ray but inexplicably had lossy audio.

http://www.doblu.com/2014/03/27/retu...lu-ray-review/
Old 04-26-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It took long enough.

I did like Return To Nuke 'Em High, it actually looked pretty nice on Blu-ray but inexplicably had lossy audio.

http://www.doblu.com/2014/03/27/retu...lu-ray-review/
Wasn't it Kaufman's first film shot in digital?

I bought the Blu-ray on street date for $14 from Best Buy. Still haven't watched it.
Old 06-18-14, 12:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's the trailer to the Toxic Avenger Blu-ray, which looks very nice.

And here's the trailer to the Blood Sucking Freaks Blu-ray, which doesn't look quite so nice.
Old 06-18-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

88 Films in the UK is gonna be releasing Toxic Avenger 2-4, Graduation Day and Mother's Day, so I assume we'll be getting a US release of them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.