Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

FILM MASTERS - Blu-ray boutique label

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

In light of thread being started for Terror Vision, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have one for Film Masters, which has been around for several months now putting out worthy new editions of stuff previously stuck in public domain hell. The duo behind the label actually used run Film Detective label, which put out a few gems itself. Apparently they sold the company, then weren't happy with the direction (or lack thereof?) that the new owners took it in, so they decided to get back in the game.

Their key titles so far are the Film Group Roger Corman movies from the 50's. All have been available forever, everywhere, thanks to their public domain status, but being a modest fan of these drive-in quickies and having bought three of these Blu-rays so far, I can say they've never looked this good, probably even when they played the drive-in circuit. Each of the four Corman releases (another just came out today) have been double features, with each film on a separate disc with decent bonus features, including Ballyhoo docs, TV cuts (if available, and commentaries by veteran folks who, at least in a couple of cases, actually had contact back in the day with the people involved in the films. On the downside, Film Masters has – like far too many boutique labels these days — contracted friggin' podcasters (in this case The Monster Party) to do typically weak and jokey commentaries, so that bugs me but I can easily avoid them.

The company has also released standalone editions of the 1935 version of THE SCARLET LETTER, the 70's thriller SWISS CONSPIRACY, and just announced Bert I Gordon's clever little gem TORMENTED, which also includes the MST3K episode.

These go for around $20 each on Amazon, and I have to admit that's about what I've paid for the three I have so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do a sale now that they have a small library going.

Special Features:

GIANT GILA MONSTER / KILLER SHREWS:
  • RAY KELLOGG-AN UNSUNG MASTER: A Ballyhoo Motion Pictures documentary written by C. Courtney Joyner and narrated by Larry Blamire
  • Full Commentary of The Giant Gila Monster by Larry Strothe, James Gonis, Shawn Sheridan, and Matt Weinhold from The Monster Party Podcast
  • Full Commentary of The Killer Shrews by Professor and Film Scholar, Jason A. Ney
  • Full Color inserted booklet with essays by Don Stradley and Jason A. Ney
  • Both films are also offered in 4x3, in additional to the theatrical 16x9.
  • Collection of original radio spots for each film
BEAST FROM THE HAUNTED CAVE / SKI TROOP ATTACK:
  • Extended TV Version of Beast from Haunted Cave (4:3), 72 min, also included
  • Fully Restored Ski Troop Attack, full film (4:3)
  • Color Booklet with essays by C. Courtney Joyner and Tom Weaver
  • Original Production from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures covering The Filmgroup
  • Original Restored Trailer from 35mm archival elements for Beast from Haunted Cave
THE TERROR / LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS:
  • 'Hollywood Intruders: The Filmgroup Story: Part Two'; an original Ballyhoo Motion Pictures Production
  • Full length commentary for 'The Terror' by C. Courtney Joyner and Dr. Steve Haberman
  • Full length commentary for 'Little Shop of Horrors' by Justin Humphreys and Special Guest
  • Full color inserted booklet with original essays
  • Featurette by Howard S. Berger provides a fresh look at 'The Terror'
DEVIL'S PARTNER / CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA:
  • TV Version of Devil's Partner included
  • Theatrical Version of Creature from the Haunted Sea included
  • Extended TV Version of Creature from the Haunted Sea included
  • Full length commentary for Devil's Parter
  • Full length commentary for theatrical version of Creature from the Haunted Sea
  • Inserted booklet with essays by Tom Weaver and Mark McGee
  • Hollywood Intruders: The Filmgroup Story: Part 3 by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
TORMENTED:
  • MST3K Bonus Film of Tormented
  • 'Bigger Than Life: Bert I. Gordon in the 1950's and 1960's' - New Ballyhoo Motion Pictures documentary featuring C. Courtney Joyner
  • 'Bert I. Gordon: The Amazing Colossal Filmmaker' - archival interview with writer/director/producer Bert I. Gordon
  • Unaired pilot episode of 'Untold Ghost Stories,' with Vincent Price
  • Inserted full color booklet with essay by Tom Weaver
  • Full Commentary track done by Gary Rhodes
SCARLET LETTER:
  • Salem and the Scarlet Letter: Original Production narrated by John Carradine
  • Full Commentary track by Professor, Jason A. Ney
  • Essay in full color inserted booklet, by Professor, Jason A. Ney
  • 'A Sin of Passion: Hawthorne in Film,' from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures with interview from author, Justin Humphreys
  • 'Revealing the Scarlet Letter,' featuring a new interview with producer, Sam Sherman
  • Original, restored, trailer for the film
SWISS CONSPIRACY:
  • Full length commentary by Robert Kelly and Daniel Budnik
  • Visual essay, 'A Three Dimensional Filmmaker,' by Will Dodson and Ryan Verrill of Someone's Favorite Productions
  • New Featurette by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
  • Original Restored Trailer from 35mm archival elements
  • Liner notes, in full color booklet, done by Lee Pfeiffer of Cinema Retro
Interview:

Last edited by Brian T; 01-16-24 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (01-16-24)
Old 01-16-24, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: FILM MASTERS - Blu-ray boutique label

I wouldn’t mind some of that sci fi schlock if I start bored shopping.
Brian T (01-16-24)
Old 02-16-24, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Film Masters has access to the Something Weird archives now. Nice to have another label updating and distributing these. If we had to rely on VS/AGFA and the few others taking the time, we’d be waiting forever.

This pairing of COMMON LAW WIFE and JENNIE, WIFE CHILD was one of the more entertaining SWV double-feature DVDs back in the day:

​​​​​​ Releasing in late June, Film Masters brings you a bonnafide Backwoods Double Feature! Originally released as a double bill by Something Weird Video in 2003, Film Masters brings new scans of both films for an upgraded viewing experience. Both films come from the Hicksploitation tradition — exploitation films that target Southern culture. “Common Law Wife,” (Eric Sayers) which is actually spliced together with another film, “Swamp Rose” (Larry Buchanan), was marketed as an “educational film” by its original trailer, warning its potential viewers of the lecherous lives its characters led. If you have difficulty distinguishing what was shot by who, our Larry Buchanan audio commentary provides the context. Just remember, it’s important to know if common law marriage can happen in YOUR state! Our second feature, “Jennie, Wife/Child” aka “Albert Peckingpaw’s Revenge” draws you in from the beginning with a catchy theme song, and has even more country-style earworms throughout. Besides the memorable storyline — a young wife, bored with older husband, seduces a young farm hand and gets caught — the cinematography done by William Zsigmond (later Oscar winner) elevates this film above others in the Hicksploitation sub-genre.

Film Elements
- Common Law Wife -
Scanned in 4K from 35mm archival film elements, with supplemental 1080p footage.
- ​Jennie, Wife/Child aka Albert Peckingpaw's Revenge - Scanned in 4K from 35mm archival film elements.

Contributors
- Common Law Wife - Millie De Chirico (film programmer, writer, and host of the movie podcast "I Saw What You Did") & Ben Cheaves (Programmer at Turner Classic Movies) provide the feature length commentary.

- Jennie, Wife/Child - Millie De Chirico provides the commentary for this feature.

- Lisa Petrucci from Something Weird Video writes our liner notes.Special Features
- Ballyhoo Motion Pictures presents a new documentary, "That's Hicksploitation".

- Includes bonus audio commentary by Larry Buchanan, Director of "Swamp Rose."
- "Common Law Wife" original, restored trailer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

They’ve also revealed cover art for their edition of one of the craziest Taiwan / Hong Kong cult martial arts films, CRIPPLED MASTERS, on their site. They put up a restoration video and trailer last summer, but still no release date yet. Presumably the artwork means it’s close:

Their 2024 promo reel shows Corman's NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST, plus FIVE MINUTES TO LIVE with Johnny Cash and Ron Howard (both of those are on Tubi), as well as some of the already announced stuff and some other bits 'n pieces:

Lastly, they're launching something called the Archive Collection of single-disc DVD releases, which so far consist of three Poverty Row pictures that run barely an hour each: HERE'S FLASH CASEY (1938), CONVICT'S CODE (1939) and LIGHTHOUSE (1947). The site prices these at $14.99 list, which is ridiculous, but I'd wager these are the kinds of titles that could be distributed to dump bins and as padding to online retailer 'sales' for $5 or $6 a pop, which would then generate more income for their mainline titles. Just a guess, of course.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-13-24 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-03-24, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trailer for the TORMENTED Blu-ray:
Old 03-13-24, 03:38 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
They’ve also revealed cover art for their edition of one of the craziest Taiwan / Hong Kong cult martial arts films, CRIPPLED MASTERS, on their site. They put up a restoration video and trailer last summer, but still no release date yet. Presumably the artwork means it’s close:

July 23, 2024

Features:
  • Liner notes by Lawrence Carter-Long
  • Full Commentary track by The Important Cinema Club
  • New documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
  • Original trailer recut using restored film elements
Old 03-13-24, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

The trailer for Tormented does a pretty good job of getting me interested in this film. I suspect that I might end up picking up some of these titles up when they hopefully go on sale.
Old 03-13-24, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The Crippled Masters looks all kinds of fun. Never seen it before.

Film Masters did a great job with their Swiss Conspiracy Blu-ray. Neat little eurothriller from the Seventies with John Saxon and Senta Berger, not to mention a small role for screen siren Elke Sommer.

https://www.doblu.com/2024/03/11/the...lu-ray-review/
Brian T (04-12-24)
Old 03-13-24, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
The trailer for Tormented does a pretty good job of getting me interested in this film. I suspect that I might end up picking up some of these titles up when they hopefully go on sale.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Film Masters did a great job with their Swiss Conspiracy Blu-ray. Neat little eurothriller from the Seventies with John Saxon and Senta Berger, not to mention a small role for screen siren Elke Sommer.
TORMENTED is a really solid thriller. My first time seeing it (after having read about it over the years) was in 2001 when Something Weird buried it as one of a million Easter eggs in their MONSTERS CRASH THE PAJAMA PARTY disc (itself worthy of a revisit from VS or AGFA). I was surprised how good it was, given SW’s treatment. And the print wasn’t bad, either, as I recall.

I’ve bought the four Corman / Film Group double-features so far (just got DEVIL’s PARTNER last weekend) and casual skims of each confirms that these films have never looked better. They’re all drive-in schlock, but the restorations and supplements were quite unexpected after so many decades of awful public domain (and/or MST3K) versions making the films look much worse than they really are as entertainment.

I do think that Film Masters will soon have enough titles in their library that they could do a sale (at which point I’ll regret jumping too soon on these four! ), and $10-15 US for them would be solid value.

I’ve seen a few good notices about their SWISS CONSPIRACY disc, too. And it’s a Jack Hill film, shot on location, so you can’t really go wrong there. Will definitely be picking it up at some point. And since I just realized I forgot to post the trailer for it earlier in this thread, here it is:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally Posted by dex14
July 23, 2024

Features:
  • Liner notes by Lawrence Carter-Long
  • Full Commentary track by The Important Cinema Club
  • New documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
  • Original trailer recut using restored film elements
The Important Cinema Club is yet another pair of podcaster/blogger/social media types. They’re based here in Toronto, I believe, and are also behind the Gold Ninja BD-R label, which they jokingly refer to as the “Criterion of Public Domain” or something like that. They do put some care into their efforts in terms of scans of the best prints they can find, commentaries by these two, featurettes, bonus SD films, etc. Their releases were reasonably priced in the early days, around $15 CDN a pop, but have gradually approached double that over time, which kinda stinks for public domain (or supposed public domain) stuff. They also distribute some newer fringey-indie films that otherwise wouldn’t get (and probably don’t deserve) such treatment. But their efforts have — not unlike a lot of podcaster/blogger fanboys and girls — paid off with gigs like this commentary for other labels. I’ve only picked up the Gold Ninja martial arts releases so far, but haven’t really cracked any yet, so I don’t know if their commentaries are any good.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-13-24 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-12-24, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next up . . .

From the early 60s, Film Masters brings you two independently produced films, both with their own cult following. Representative of the neo-noir crime films of that era, these regional films make for a perfect back-to-back viewing late at night! The more famous of the two, "Door-to-Door Maniac," originally released in 1961 as "Five Minutes to Live." Starring Johnny Cash as a hardened criminal (Johnny Cabot); the wife (Cay Forester) of the bank vice president is taken hostage in her own home. What follows is a robbery gone awry in every way! Directed by Bill Karn, this thrilling crime-drama also stars Donald Woods. Also look for a very young Ronnie Howard in a small role, and Vic Tayback (best known as Mel from the TV show, "Alice.") In the little-known film, "Right Hand of the Devil," Aram Katcher makes his bid to become the next Hitchcock. While prominent movie director he is not, Turkish-born Katcher does star in the film... and not just on-screen. Producer, story creator, editor, title designer, and costume designer are just some of the other roles he took with his magnum opus. Katcher leads the cast as an ingenious criminal mastermind who hires a motley crew of questionable henchmen who are intent on robbing a sports arena. Along the way, and critical to their plans, he seduces a middle-aged cashier, but she is not so easily convinced as she may appear. Will Katcher triumph in his hard won leading role?

FEATURES:
Feature length commentary for 'Door-to-Door Maniac' by Author/Podcaster Daniel Budnik and Film Historian Rob Kelly
Feature length commentary for 'Right Hand of the Devil' by the Monster Party Podcast
Visual essay, by Someone's Favorite Productions

Old 04-19-24, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Johnny Cash isn't much of an actor, unfortunately. Likely hooked on drugs during this period as well.
Old 04-19-24, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Johnny Cash isn't much of an actor, unfortunately. Likely hooked on drugs during this period as well.
Agree on both counts. From what I've read, this was his only feature film until A GUNFIGHT with Kirk Douglas ten years later, but it's still an interesting time capsule. I just recently plowed through a bunch of old Mill Creek DVD sets of Crown International Pictures movies and one of them was THE ROAD TO NASHVILLE (1967), which is basically a country/western jukebox "musical" showcasing popular acts of the day within a weak 'talent scout' framing story with Doodles Weaver. Cash is one of the showcase numbers, and he does a bang-up job, but it does seem like he might be on something.

I'm probably more interested in RIGHT HAND OF THE DEVIL. I'm always kinda fascinated by these one-guy-does-everything indie movies from back then. Sometimes these types of movies are real train wrecks, but the few reviews for this one online are modestly positive.