Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

DVD Active has the back cover artwork now. It lists a running time of 170 minutes. The dvd was 172 minutes.

Under the special features is this:

"New content changes supervised by director Michael Mann".

Looks like he's tinkered with this film just a little.
Old 08-16-09, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i already reserved this
Old 08-16-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
DVD Active has the back cover artwork now. It lists a running time of 170 minutes. The dvd was 172 minutes.

Under the special features is this:

"New content changes supervised by director Michael Mann".

WTF?

Well, I just watched my DVD of it a couple weeks ago. Its good enough for me.
Old 08-16-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
WTF?

Well, I just watched my DVD of it a couple weeks ago. Its good enough for me.
A possible two-minute difference of which we know nothing about and you've made up your mind to avoid it?
Old 08-17-09, 06:01 AM

I dont think a Post Public Enemies Michael Mann should be tinkering with one of his masterpieces (read: I dont trust his judgement at the moment)

There is only 2 visible minutes different in running time, but there could be several scene substitutions and editing changes as well...hopefully it is only minor tinkering...
Old 08-17-09, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
A possible two-minute difference of which we know nothing about and you've made up your mind to avoid it?
I already have it on DVD. Its not one I feel the need to upgrade.
Old 08-17-09, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
This was one I was waiting for with anticipation for some time. I have to say, if there has been significant tinkering, I won't be upgrading either.

Why can't these people leave their films alone??
Old 08-17-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I fear the prophesy of Suprmallet may come true.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Uh oh. I can foresee a problem there:

MM: This looks too much like film!
WB: You shot it on film.
MM: I didn't know any better back then. Let's make it look more digital!
WB: *Sigh*
That and, as already mentioned, two minutes may be the difference in final runtime but it doesn't necessarily mean a mere two minutes were excised. This could very well be a case of several minutes of alternate footage being exchanged for what was already there.

For a man with as pisspoor a director's cut track record as Michael Mann, I hope they include the original theatrical cut. I'd like to be optomistic about the new cut but that's a tall order.
Old 08-17-09, 09:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Whether or not I'll like the changes...I'm a sucker for this movie and am definitely curious to see what Mann felt was worth tinkering with to tighten this movie up by 2 minutes.
Old 08-17-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I already have it on DVD. Its not one I feel the need to upgrade.
I'm fairly certain we all have it on DVD. Probably both releases which used the same transfer.

I'd upgrade based on that alone, since it doesn't look as good as it potentially could.

All I'm saying is, if no mention had been made about a two-minute difference in running time, I doubt you would have said anything about not feeling the need to upgrade at all.
Old 08-17-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is disappointing to hear, considering this is one of my favorite films of all time, and have been dying to get my hands on this on Blu-ray

But I will reserve judgment until it is confrimed what exactly has changed from the theatrical cut.
Old 08-17-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
But I will reserve judgment until it is confrimed what exactly has changed from the theatrical cut.
Heat: Straight Up Director's Cut
Old 10-26-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver review. I'm underwhelmed by the PQ, at least based on the handful of caps. The reviewer wasn't able to ascertain what the content changes were.

Last edited by NoirFan; 10-26-09 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:51 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When this movie came out in theaters, there was a scene that I SWEAR was removed from the DVD.

It was right before the prostitute was killed. She was getting ready to leave Waingro and she says something lewd that I think suggested she was underage. I remember this in the theaters because another theatergoer had an audible reaction to this. Later when I got the DVD, the prostitutes last words were not there.

Anyone remember this?
Old 10-26-09, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

She does say something like that in the DVD. Well maybe not....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OD9S28b-Js&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OD9S28b-Js&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-26-09, 10:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
DVD Beaver review. I'm underwhelmed by the PQ, at least based on the handful of caps. The reviewer wasn't able to ascertain what the content changes were.
the difference between the standard dvd and the bluray is so minimal it simply doesn't impress me.
Old 10-27-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
When this movie came out in theaters, there was a scene that I SWEAR was removed from the DVD.

It was right before the prostitute was killed. She was getting ready to leave Waingro and she says something lewd that I think suggested she was underage. I remember this in the theaters because another theatergoer had an audible reaction to this. Later when I got the DVD, the prostitutes last words were not there.

Anyone remember this?
The dialogue occurs just as we see Sloane changing into her bathing suit, right?

Actually, I don't remember the prostitute saying anything which would shock, or reveal her to be under age. And I saw the movie twice in the theatre.
Old 10-27-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
the difference between the standard dvd and the bluray is so minimal it simply doesn't impress me.
I don't know...just based off of that Val Kilmer shot alone, I'd get the BD due to how badly the standard DVD looks vertically stretched...
Old 10-27-09, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I don't know...just based off of that Val Kilmer shot alone, I'd get the BD due to how badly the standard DVD looks vertically stretched...
Definitely, I had no idea the old versions were that off... This is a no brainer.
Old 10-27-09, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
really? I noticed right away - everything looks more realistic - more real skin tones, lighting. Also how weirdly stretched vertically the SD seems to be.

Now what the @#$!ing hell is "new content changes". Jesus H Christ, even after Public Enemies I still love the man, but leave your old movies the fuck alone. You are clearly not the same Michael Mann of 1995.
Old 10-28-09, 07:32 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow...those caps really make it more real. The flesh tones do impress.
Old 10-28-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PQ looks great. Can't wait for this.
Old 10-30-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

BTW, I checked the runtime on the DVD and it clocks in at 2:50:20 while the BD is 2:50:27.
Old 11-10-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Changes have been confirmed as some alternate take and line changes.

Appararently, Mann has removed Pacinos line "Ferocious, aren't I? when he is interrogating Hank Azarias character.

This is from the home theater forum review:

"The first of the two re-edited scenes I found occurs at app. 1:04, when Hanna returns from a crime scene to the restaurant where Justine is waiting for him alone. Justine’s speech that begins “You don’t live with me” has been re-edited, using what appears to be different takes, different cuts and a slight modification to the dialogue. What clued me in was simple: The scene had always stuck out as somewhat awkward in an otherwise polished and assured film. On this viewing, it seemed to flow much better than I remembered. A comparison with the DVD revealed why.

The second example occurs at app. 1:18:35, when Hanna is giving the full intimidation treatment to the sleazy Vegas liquor salesman played by Hank Azaria. Hanna’s dialogue has been slightly shortened, without actually shortening the scene. The net effect is to provide an additional moment to display the reaction on Azaria’s face. It’s priceless. (“Who the hell is this lunatic?” he seems to be thinking.)

There are undoubtedly other examples that flew right by me, because the work has been done so skillfully and the changes are so intelligently tailored to the film in its current form. The film was rushed during editing to meet a release date, which is why it has four credited editors. Based on these examples, it appears that what’s been done is not so much revisionism as clean-up."
Old 11-10-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I'm ok with that. Can't wait to pick this up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.