DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/555870-heat-re-release-slated-5-9-17-a.html)

jeffbase34 05-29-09 01:50 PM

Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

Heat was one of the best movies of the 90s, and easily in my top ten. This action thriller featured the two biggest bad asses going toe to toe. Al Pacino and Robert D Niro.

The entire cast was top notch from Ted Levine, Tom Sizemore and Val Kilmer. The movie really kept you on your the edge of your seat with an interesting intense plotline and killer action. Even the gun battles featured some of the most realistic gunplay and sounds.

It is an absolute crime that Heat is not available in blu-ray. If it is, I can't find it. Anyone else with me?

jiggawhat 05-29-09 01:50 PM

re: Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

This was announced in a HTF chat sometime ago, but I don't know if it's coming this year or next.

Here's the link

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...3-23-09-a.html

Doctorossi 05-29-09 01:54 PM

Warner Bros. is angry with you for letting the air out of their basketball.

dx23 05-29-09 01:57 PM

I agree that Heat is a great film but to ask why is not on Blu-ray is the same as to ask why any other film hasn't been released in the same format. Studios don't want to over-saturate the market with new releases of catalog titles. They take it slowly, so customer can spend their money on new film releases and a batch of catalog titles. I want many other films like Star Wars on Blu-ray, but I understand that studios will take their time to release this big films and not clutter the aisles at the same time.

Matthew Ackerly 05-29-09 02:06 PM

Actually, there is a legitimate answer to this and it's because they needed a new transfer and were waiting on Michael Mann to supervise it.

jeffbase34 05-29-09 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9473328)
I agree that Heat is a great film but to ask why is not on Blu-ray is the same as to ask why any other film hasn't been released in the same format. Studios don't want to over-saturate the market with new releases of catalog titles. They take it slowly, so customer can spend their money on new film releases and a batch of catalog titles. I want many other films like Star Wars on Blu-ray, but I understand that studios will take their time to release this big films and not clutter the aisles at the same time.

I'm curious how the studios are deciding which movies get HD treatment first. We get Ronin first, but not Heat. I would think the demand for Heat would be a lot higher than Falling Down.

islandclaws 05-29-09 02:48 PM

^ Coin toss? I don't get it either. WB is releasing Catwoman in favor of, oh I don't know, just about anything else. It's a crapshoot trying to guess what's coming anytime soon.

RichC2 05-29-09 02:53 PM

Worried it will melt off the protective layer.

Think they're waiting for there to be a big hit Warner hit with DeNiro and/or Pacino first.

PopcornTreeCt 05-29-09 03:37 PM

Warner has far better movies to release on Blu-ray.

DthRdrX 05-29-09 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9473423)
I'm curious how the studios are deciding which movies get HD treatment first. We get Ronin first, but not Heat. I would think the demand for Heat would be a lot higher than Falling Down.

Heat is going to sell more copies, so it will probably be released during the holiday shopping season.

They did include it on the promotion slip a few months back.

Overpar 05-29-09 03:42 PM

The weekly "Why isn't 'your title here' on Blu-ray?". :brickwl:

Doctorossi 05-29-09 03:44 PM

Put two and two together, folks. If they released all the good stuff up front, why would you ever buy any of the crap stuff?

orangerunner 05-29-09 03:55 PM

It's tough to see the logic of these decisions sometimes. I still remember The Getaway (1994) being released on HD-DVD. A pretty forgettable title to be one of the first ones released on an HD format.

Who knows?

Look how long it took for Star Wars and Indiana Jones to be released on DVD.

From the studio's perspective, do you invest alot of money to transfer & release a ton of titles to quickly entice people into Blu-ray or release them slowly with a "wait and see" approach and hope it catches on based on the more limited titles they have to choose from?

The "wait and see" approach worked for DVD, I guess we'll see if it works for Blu-ray.

Torchur317 05-29-09 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9473565)

Nope, Heat is the best movie ever made....

They should release it asap on BR....
I would love to see the original TV pilot as a bonus feature....

steebo777 06-01-09 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Torchur317 (Post 9474067)
Nope, Heat is the best movie ever made...

That is a bold statement :)

NoirFan 07-18-09 07:04 PM

According to DVDAf, this is coming on 11/10.

Zen Peckinpah 07-18-09 11:55 PM

:up:

The Monkees 07-18-09 11:58 PM

Why isn't there a lot of stuff on Blu-Ray?

Mr. Salty 07-19-09 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9473423)
I'm curious how the studios are deciding which movies get HD treatment first. We get Ronin first, but not Heat.

"Ronin" is an MGM release; "Heat" is Warner. One release has no bearing on the other.

I would think the demand for Heat would be a lot higher than Falling Down.
As has been pointed out, "Heat" needed a new transfer and Michael Mann was busy making "Public Enemies."

That statement is only true because of the vastness of Warner's catalog and is no reflection on the quality of "Heat."

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9578470)
According to DVDAf, this is coming on 11/10.

I'm not surprised that Warner is likely releasing "Heat" timed to capitalize on the home video release of "Public Enemies," even though the latter is being released by a different studio.

GoldenJCJ 07-19-09 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 9473583)
Put two and two together, folks. If they released all the good stuff up front, why would you ever buy any of the crap stuff?

What are we, sheep?! Since when do we not get to decide whether we want to buy the crap stuff, even if it is intermingled with the good stuff?

Supermallet 07-19-09 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly (Post 9473351)
Actually, there is a legitimate answer to this and it's because they needed a new transfer and were waiting on Michael Mann to supervise it.

Uh oh. I can foresee a problem there:

MM: This looks too much like film!
WB: You shot it on film.
MM: I didn't know any better back then. Let's make it look more digital!
WB: *Sigh*

Well, let's see, Casablanca and the Kubrick films are already out, Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz are scheduled to come out, seems like a lot of the biggies are already on BD. I, for one, would buy Heat on release day. One of the best films of the 90's.

RocShemp 07-20-09 08:38 AM

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=107339

E Unit 07-20-09 08:52 AM

Looks like the same suppliments as the 2 disc DVD. At least they ported those over. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me - so long as the price is decent.

bootsy 07-20-09 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 9580548)
Looks like the same suppliments as the 2 disc DVD. At least they ported those over. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me - so long as the price is decent.

Me too. I don't have this on DVD because I have been holding out for the Blu Ray so this is very good news for me. Huge fan of this movie.

ChristianB 07-20-09 04:33 PM

Nice! Definitely adding to the collection...