Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

For all the negativity in the world, its good to feel happy about something. That's why I love watching made for tv christmas movies(Hallmark, Ion, Lifetime,etc). I watch my Hallmark movie collection pretty much year round.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-15-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Originally Posted by davidh777
I've generally dismissed them as well, but I've watched a couple this year and enjoyed them so I'm kind of hooked. Attractive women, charming romance-lite, feel-good resolutions--not a bad thing for the holiday season.
I almost feel the same except for me, it's more like " Attractive men, charming romance-lite..."

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
For all the negativity in the world, its good to feel happy about something. That's why I love watching made for tv christmas movies(Hallmark, Ion, Lifetime,etc). I watch my Hallmark movie collection pretty much year round.
I don't really watch Hallmark movies year round for this, but I know I chose the lighter fare over the heavier weight movies a lot just to give myself a little relief over the rest of the world.

I'm actually watching a Hallmark one right now, My Christmas Dream. Has Danica McKeller in it as the lead. Diedra Hall plays a large supporting role in it. It took me going to IMDb before I figured out who she was though! I knew she was familiar but couldn't quite place her.

The movie is nice enough, a manager of a local department store is hoping for a promotion to the Paris store but to get it has to wow the store owner with the yearly Christmas display. In figuring out what to do, she falls in love with the local artist/painter.

Putting the rest in spoiler just in case someone wants to watch this still.
Spoiler:
And of course, in the end has to chose between the man and her career. I went along with that until the end but honestly Hallmark, when did women have to go back between choosing between love and work? Seriously? One of the major subplots is how the owner and one of the workers at the store used to be childhood sweethearts but he gave her up so she could chase her dreams. Last time I looked, women could do both, but what do I know? I guess in the end, she still gets a promotion, but chooses not to go permanently to Paris, but the overwhelming theme is "women, don't think you can get your dreams AND your man without compromising!"
Old 12-16-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I almost feel the same except for me, it's more like " Attractive men, charming romance-lite..."
Fair point!

I just watched another Hallmark last night, one of the new ones, called Sound of Christmas, about a music teacher whose school is in danger of being shut down. The plot arc is completely predictable, but it's charming and satisfying, and yes, the leads are attractive. All boxes checked.
Old 12-16-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I never paid much attention to 7th Heaven, but I just finished a Christmas episode, on Up, and actually enjoyed it. I don't know how regularly I'll watch it, but I think I'd watch the show again.
Old 12-16-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Best Buy has Scrooged BR on sale for $3.99 w/free shipping to your house. Just be aware this is the "bare boned" release with only a BR disc (no DVD or Digital copy - it's ~$15). BB has both packages but Amazon has neither.
Is there any extras on the "BR-DVD-DC" edition that are missing from this "bare-boned" release?
Old 12-16-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Is there any extras on the "BR-DVD-DC" edition that are missing from this "bare-boned" release?
Beats me. I normally ignore "extras" and just watch the films. I already own a DVD of this and don't care about "DC." AFAIK the DVD and DC are the only extras there. I couldn't find a Amazon listing to know for sure which is why I posted it that way.

**EDIT**
I found the Amazon listing by following a link on the BR review here on DVDTalk. They've PMed BB at $3.99. They have the 2 disc edition listed (it can be found on the other editions part of that page) but still no mention of what, if any, special features are included when that edition is selected. It does appear to be a steel book edition.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-19-16 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

^ From what I gather, they don't seem to be any extras on ANY current edition, which makes this an ever better deal. The DC would be nice, but I'd hardly ever use it so no real loss there. I already own the original DVD so that's covered as well.

Thanks for the heads-up BobO'Link!
Old 12-17-16, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever notice that the opening credit sequence for The Ref is longer on the streaming Netflix version compared to the DVD? I think the scene where Leary takes Judy Davis hostage in the market is slightly altered, too.
Old 12-18-16, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished watching a Christmas episode of Southern Comfort, on Food Network. When I tuned in, I didn't even know it was a Christmas episode. But as the show went on, the host's student told how he wanted to learn how to cook a Christmas dinner for his wife who had cancer.
Old 12-18-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From my viewing last night. I kind of wonder how Home Alone has become a christmas classic for so many people, but the commentary with Chris Columbus and Macauly Caulkin is probably one of the best commentaries for a movie ever recorded. I always listen to it when I watch it. The Black Christmas remake doesn't deserve the hate it got, except when it came out I remember it being released on Christmas Day than it was gone from theaters. Then Charming Christmas from Hallmark was another enjoyable movie, I like Julie Benz she always been good as an actress.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-18-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-18-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
^ From what I gather, they don't seem to be any extras on ANY current edition, which makes this an ever better deal. The DC would be nice, but I'd hardly ever use it so no real loss there. I already own the original DVD so that's covered as well.

Thanks for the heads-up BobO'Link!
You're welcome! My copy arrived Friday and I'm about to watch it.
Old 12-18-16, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

"Heaven only knows WHAT this generation has coming!" Says Judge Hardy in Love Finds Andy Hardy.

In 1938.

Old 12-18-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm watching Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July. It's not my favorite in this line at all. :/ Oh well. I have a few more shorts in the set (Classic Christmas Favorites) and then I plan on moving on to more Hallmark movies.
Old 12-19-16, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was browsing the Dish Guide, and came across the 90s episode of Christmas Through The Decades, on the History Channel. I remembered a lot of what they talked about in that episode, and it brought back fond memories.

Last edited by shadokitty; 12-19-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The BR of Scrooged is excellent! I screened a bit of my DVD first and it looks pretty good but the BR blows it away! It's a very worthwhile upgrade, especially for ~$4! The only "extra" is the original trailer - which I didn't watch.
Old 12-19-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just had my annual watch of Love Actually. As many times as I've seen it, I never realized that after Liam Neeson's Claudia Schiffer joke,
Spoiler:
the "Carol" he meets later is played by Claudia Schiffer.
Old 12-19-16, 06:26 PM

The Internet says it's the 173rd anniversary of A Christmas Carol today.

As well as last week...
Old 12-19-16, 08:32 PM

Every year at about this time, watching Christmas Carols, I'm astonished that (so far as I know), there've been no comedy versions that have done any of the following:

1. Any time Tiny Tim looks like he's about to open his mouth, someone tells him very sternly to shut up. Annoying little...
2. Scrooge wakes up after Christmas Future and wonders if it's all a dream. And concludes that, as it probably was, there's no need to revise his entire life. [Note: Blackadder's Christmas Carol does do a semi-version of this.]
3. A sequel or coda wherein we see that Scrooge's admirable forgiving of all debts and generous charitable donations and raises... leave him broke and destitute in a week!
Old 12-20-16, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While Archie Bunker wasn't known to show how caring he really was in most episodes, I just found the 'Edith's Christmas Story' episode of All In The Family, on Sundance TV. In it Edith was in the hospital, and when Archie found out, he rushed to the hospital, and when he saw Edith in bed, he showed how much he cared for Edith.
Old 12-20-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished The Barefoot Contessa episode, 'A Barefoot Holiday', on Food Network On Demand. It wasn't just a normal half hour episode, but was instead a special one hour episode that showed her being invited to two different holiday meals. She made a delivery looking pasta dish for a Christmas Eve lunch, had peppermint hot chocolate to drink, and at the end showed how to make a spiced pork roast that looked mouth watering
Old 12-20-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It feels like it's never mentioned but the very first Simpsons episode ever is 'Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire'. As a Christmas episode it's fun to watch for nostalgia, but it along with the entire first season feel out of place with the rest of the show. The plot is kind of dull, the voices aren't quite right yet, and the animation style is pretty crude to look at.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-20-16 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw Serendipity for the first time in ages. The leads are charming, but the package is definitely mediocre.

Finally saw Scrooged, but was a little underwhelmed by the madcap wackiness.

Now spinning Trading Places.
Old 12-20-16, 10:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
While Archie Bunker wasn't known to show how caring he really was in most episodes, I just found the 'Edith's Christmas Story' episode of All In The Family, on Sundance TV. In it Edith was in the hospital, and when Archie found out, he rushed to the hospital, and when he saw Edith in bed, he showed how much he cared for Edith.
Check out "The Draft Dodger", probably my favorite episode of All in the Family and a Christmas episode too!
Old 12-20-16, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I followed up Trading Places with a Hallmark movie, coincidentally Trading Christmas. The first, though called "Places," involved trading lives, while the second involved trading residences.
Old 12-21-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
It feels like it's never mentioned but the very first Simpsons episode ever is 'Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire'. As a Christmas episode it's fun to watch for nostalgia, but it along with the entire first season feel out of place with the rest of the show. The plot is kind of dull, the voices aren't quite right yet, and the animation style is pretty crude to look at.
If you think those were crude, you should watch the original shorts from the Tracy Ullman Show!

I watched the 2015 Christmas special for The Great British Baking Show. I know some of you like cooking shows so if you haven't given this one a shot, you should! They show on PBS about 2 or 3 seasons behind the actual show but they are fun to watch. They are competitions but they are all in fun; nothing like Chopped. The Christmas one took the 2 judges and had them make 4 or 5 of their holiday recipes and explain how they made them. Made me hungry!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.