Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 10th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 29 - February 28)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 10th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 29 - February 28)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 10th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 29 - February 28)

Less than a week to go till the official start of the Challenge, and I'm getting excited. I don't know what I want to start with though. Does anyone else know what they want to start with? I might do a double credit movie with the TV on DVD Challenge, but not sure.
Old 01-23-16, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm starting with Aladdin. My pretty blu-ray hasn't been opened yet as I was saving it for this challenge.
Old 01-23-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not sure what I'm starting with. I still have a lot of things to watch for this year's ceremony. I do know that I want to finally watch the four Best Picture winners I haven't seen: The Deer Hunter, Schindler's List, Braveheart, and The Hurt Locker.
Old 01-23-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

For the severalth year running, I can't find a way to see Two Arabian Knights, and it's making me sad and mildly annoyed... can't TCM or Kino or someone release this Oscar-winner on disc...?
Old 01-23-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperWeather
Do you have an AMC near you? This will be my 9th year going to this https://www.amctheatres.com/events/b...cture-showcase
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, the participating central Oklahoma AMC theater is further from my place than the Cinemark. For the past decade, I've been getting together with the same group of friends in Texas to watch the ceremony. After getting very upset, I talked with one of my friends who devised a plan where I can go to the Cinemark marathon if I take a day off work and they DVR the ceremony and wait for me to get back from the theater on Sunday. So there is a plan, and I'm very happy with it! Sorry for prematurely griping.
Old 01-23-16, 11:19 AM

I imagine I'll start either with one of this year's nominees or whatever happens to be on TCM or Hulu, for ease of access. Then - hopefully - begin going through my own discs sometime in February. Losing a week mid-February for a birthday trip, so that'll be a good time for accompanying discs... probably from the Columbia or Warner Best Picture sets.

Haven't been able to save up enough to buy all the Animation Show of Shows DVDs yet, nor find my Disney animated discs, so shorts may be sparse this year.
Old 01-23-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I started with Shaun the Sheep last weekend, then sucked it up and watched West Side Story for no credit. My kid had never seen it either on stage or screen, and today we're going to an orchestra concert featuring some of that music so I figured now was the time. To her credit, she recognized nearly all the songs.
Old 01-23-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got enough titles available to me to watch one a day during each day remaining of the pre challenge period. I started my countdown with WHAT HAPPENED, MISS SIMONE?. While I thought it was interesting, I didn't think it had as much impact as Winter on Fire, minus the Civil Rights Movement, and Vietnam War era.
Old 01-23-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Man, it STILL isn't the 29th yet? Sheesh!
Old 01-23-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know. I'm so ready for the Challenge to officially begin. My class is watching Shaft on Tuesday and I can't even count it!
Old 01-23-16, 11:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, the participating central Oklahoma AMC theater is further from my place than the Cinemark. For the past decade, I've been getting together with the same group of friends in Texas to watch the ceremony. After getting very upset, I talked with one of my friends who devised a plan where I can go to the Cinemark marathon if I take a day off work and they DVR the ceremony and wait for me to get back from the theater on Sunday. So there is a plan, and I'm very happy with it! Sorry for prematurely griping.
Oh glad it worked out! I know I have to drive an hour up to San Jose both Saturdays for this, but so worth it to see them all before the ceremony.
Old 01-24-16, 10:41 PM

Since it's not in the opening post, are we also including viewings of films nominated by the anti-Oscars - the Razzies...? I seem to recall that being drafted in one year for a bit of light relief (or to remind people that it could be a lot worse), but...
Old 01-25-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've got enough titles available to me to watch one a day during each day remaining of the pre challenge period. I started my countdown with WHAT HAPPENED, MISS SIMONE?. While I thought it was interesting, I didn't think it had as much impact as Winter on Fire, minus the Civil Rights Movement, and Vietnam War era.
That's how I felt, too. I was interested in Nina Simone's story, but I was captivated and moved by the Euromaidan.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Man, it STILL isn't the 29th yet? Sheesh!
See? This is why we should just run the full challenge starting on Nomination Day!
Old 01-25-16, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I spent the weekend at a cabin with the guys, and decided once we got back home that I'd take myself out to see Room since I had the energy and felt well enough to do it. From my Letterboxd diary:
Spoiler:
I'd been meaning to catch Room for weeks, even before Brie Larson was nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role at the forthcoming Academy Awards presentation. I knew of it only the synopsis provided by Village 8 on their website:

Both highly suspenseful and deeply emotional, ROOM is a unique and touching exploration of the boundless love between a mother and her child. After 5-year-old Jack (Jacob Tremblay) and his Ma (Brie Larson) escape from the enclosed surroundings that Jack has known his entire life, the boy makes a thrilling discovery: the outside world. As he experiences all the joy, excitement, and fear that this new adventure brings, he holds tight to the one thing that matters most of all--his special bond with his loving and devoted Ma.

What enclosed surroundings? Why did they escape? Room has been a Louisville Exclusive, meaning that it has played only at Village 8, which is indicative of smaller, more artsy fare - oftentimes the more thought provoking sort, and that's the kind of movie I've been in the mood to see of late.

As the movie got underway, I began to think of Dogtooth. It isn't just the setting and circumstances, but the theme of how such a setting might affect people. Unlike the children in that film, though, Jack thankfully has a truly loving mother determined to keep him safe and healthy.

There's something about the way the movie is presented that feels incongruous with its content. Music is sparse, dialogue is restrained, and the cinematography and editing feel casual. It isn't that these things undermine the story's dire scenario, however. On the contrary, they attest to how this has been daily life for Jack his entire life, and Ma for another two years on top of that. I didn't consciously put that together until the scene later of Jack playing in the yard with the neighbor boy. I got to thinking of how reserved that scene felt; it's not overtly exuberant, as would be typical. Director Lenny Abrahamson trusted that we were invested enough to feel that moment of triumph on our own, which must have been a daunting choice to make. It was the right one, as it turned out.

Room is up for four Oscars. Here are my thoughts on those:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role -Brie Larson {"Ma"}
Ma is a complex character, the kind that is often portrayed with pervasive urgency. Larson's performance here reflects Abrahamson's tonal approach to the story, though, her demeanor generally subdued and patient. This has the effect of making her outbursts (almost all of which relate to protecting Jack) all the more startling. I haven't seen any of the other performances competing against Larson, but I can certainly get behind her being awarded for her work here.

Side note: How terrific was Jacob Tremblay as Jack?! That kid's earnestness matches Larson's controlled, measured Ma, and a key reason why her performance is as compelling as it is is that she shares the screen with Tremblay.

Best Picture - Ed Guiney, Producer
Again, I've not seen this film's competitors so I can't speak to how it stacks up against them. What I can say is that as much as I appreciate how much the film held back in places where we expect be bombarded with volatile, heightened drama, Room's one glaring deficiency is that the second half, once they've been rescued, feels a bit too implicit in nature. That may well be the result of being conditioned over the years to expect a character like Ma to give an impassioned monologue about the nature of her trauma. Again, it was the right choice but it does have the effect of making Room not quite have the "Best Picture" feel. I'm not actively rooting for the movie here, but it's one I can certainly accept.

Best Directing - Lenny Abrahamson
I've already covered how bold Abrahamson's understated handling of the story material impressed me. I haven't seen any of the other nominated films, but I can say that I have great admiration for the trust he placed in the story and in his cast. There was never a moment when I felt Abrahamson had intruded into the film to draw attention to himself, as often happens even with art house directors. I'm actively rooting for him to win this.

Achievement in Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Emma Donoghue
Donoghue adapted her own novel, so I have to assume that what made it to screen properly reflects its source material. I've not read that novel, but given that the story is really Jack's, the dialogue assigned to Ma is understandably subtle or coded, to protect him as best she could. The tonal approach that I admire so much about this film surely began with Donoghue's screenplay. I don't know her chances of winning the award, but I can understand her nomination and I'd be happy for Donoghue if she did.

Room entered my Flickchart at #235/1734

Room
2015 Academy Awards (88th)
(N) ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE -- Brie Larson {"Ma"}
(N) BEST PICTURE -- Ed Guiney, Producer
(N) DIRECTING -- Lenny Abrahmson
(N) WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY) -- Emma Donoghue
Old 01-25-16, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just finished my first pre-challenge film: The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared. Decided to watch it because of all the talk on the thread.

Overall, I think I enjoyed it. There were definitely parts where I just sat through it but it did engage me more than some. I like how they tied the beginning and the end together. Though, it does kind of remind me of Forrest Gump.
Old 01-25-16, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the not starting the official challenge on nomination day is my bad. I didn't realize how hard it would be to watch this year's nominees (or how not interested I would be in most of this year's nominees). If everyone wants to stage a coup and agree to start the challenge early, I wouldn't object.

As for the Razzies, I honestly don't remember that coming up in previous years. I've looked at the nominees and why one earth would folks want to watch most of those films? At the same time, it looks like 50 Shades of Gray is nominated for an Oscar and a Razzie though having seen the film, I can't really recommend it (though I might watch it before the 29th anyway simply so I can have something to watch that will count).
Old 01-25-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Yeah the not starting the official challenge on nomination day is my bad. I didn't realize how hard it would be to watch this year's nominees (or how not interested I would be in most of this year's nominees). If everyone wants to stage a coup and agree to start the challenge early, I wouldn't object.

As for the Razzies, I honestly don't remember that coming up in previous years. I've looked at the nominees and why one earth would folks want to watch most of those films? At the same time, it looks like 50 Shades of Gray is nominated for an Oscar and a Razzie though having seen the film, I can't really recommend it (though I might watch it before the 29th anyway simply so I can have something to watch that will count).
I wouldn't mind starting the challenge early.
Old 01-25-16, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For my next movie of the Pre Challenge, I was in the mood for something short, so I watched World of Tomorrow. I didn't particularly care for the animation style, but the little girl was cute.
Old 01-25-16, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Less than a week to go till the official start of the Challenge, and I'm getting excited. I don't know what I want to start with though. Does anyone else know what they want to start with? I might do a double credit movie with the TV on DVD Challenge, but not sure.
In past years, I've started with The King's Speech. For some reason, I love this movie and this is the only time of year that I watch it.

So, after participating in this challenge for eight years, now my family wants to get involved in it too. They volunteered movies they've never seen, such as Flashdance, Goodfellas, Lincoln, Cleopatra, The Godfather I & II, and The Hustler. This is going to be a fun year!

Last edited by popcorn; 01-25-16 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 10:45 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Please check your Pre-Challenge lists!

Some folks are listing movies that do not qualify.

Friday is almost here!
Old 01-25-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mao
Please check your Pre-Challenge lists!

Some folks are listing movies that do not qualify.

Friday is almost here!
I watched a few ineligible movies this weekend and listed them but didn't number them. My kid has decided to catch up on popular-culture movies she'd missed, so we watched West Side Story, Iron Man, and The Matrix. She'd already seen the other Iron Man films, and she knew most of the songs from WSS, but I wasn't sure how she'd take The Matrix. But she said "It was so good!" I even had to bust out the HD DVD player to watch it. I already told her the sequels aren't worth watching, though (never saw the third myself).
Old 01-25-16, 11:19 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I watched a few ineligible movies this weekend and listed them but didn't number them. My kid has decided to catch up on popular-culture movies she'd missed, so we watched West Side Story, Iron Man, and The Matrix. She'd already seen the other Iron Man films, and she knew most of the songs from WSS, but I wasn't sure how she'd take The Matrix. But she said "It was so good!" I even had to bust out the HD DVD player to watch it. I already told her the sequels aren't worth watching, though (never saw the third myself).
Did she enjoy WSS? I watched that all the time when it played on network television and the Blu-Ray edition is simply stunning!
Old 01-25-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mao
Did she enjoy WSS? I watched that all the time when it played on network television and the Blu-Ray edition is simply stunning!
She did! We go to a lot of shows, but for whatever reason she'd never seen this one on stage or screen.

We were watching the BD, but it kept skipping--at the end of the opening dance, it went straight to the Jet Song, twice. So I put in the DVD on another player and watched some of the movie there, then switched back to the BD and it skipped again! I finally realized that when I put in the disc I had selected "resume playback," and the last time I must've been watching or sampling the "songs only" mode. Once I turned that off, it was fine.
Old 01-25-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
My kid has decided to catch up on popular-culture movies she'd missed, so we watched West Side Story, Iron Man, and The Matrix. She'd already seen the other Iron Man films, and she knew most of the songs from WSS, but I wasn't sure how she'd take The Matrix. But she said "It was so good!"
It's amazing what happens when we introduce movies to our children. They gain a little insight into our preferences and they're introduced to new things they normally wouldn't come across in this non-original world of sequels, adaptations, and reboots. I try to get my kids to watch (what I consider) classics all the time. Now I have teenagers who discuss directors like Hitchcock, Hawks, and Capra the same way their friends discuss Jennifer Lawrence, Selena Gomez, and the Hemsworth brothers.
Old 01-25-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Since it's not in the opening post, are we also including viewings of films nominated by the anti-Oscars - the Razzies...? I seem to recall that being drafted in one year for a bit of light relief (or to remind people that it could be a lot worse), but...
Since the Drive-In Challenge is just a couple months away, I don't see any reason to include them. Just wait and watch them then.
Originally Posted by lisadoris
I see a few on the list that I'll probably watch eventually. Same as with the Oscar nominated films. One man's trash...
Originally Posted by popcorn
It's amazing what happens when we introduce movies to our children. They gain a little insight into our preferences and they're introduced to new things they normally wouldn't come across in this non-original world of sequels, adaptations, and reboots. I try to get my kids to watch (what I consider) classics all the time. Now I have teenagers who discuss directors like Hitchcock, Hawks, and Capra the same way their friends discuss Jennifer Lawrence, Selena Gomez, and the Hemsworth brothers.
"Dude, I wanna go all Psycho on that ass!"
"Yeah, that's a helluva Rear Window! KnowutI'msayin'?"

Last edited by Dimension X; 01-25-16 at 01:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.