Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 10th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 29 - February 28)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 10th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 29 - February 28)

Old 03-01-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 10th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 29 - February 28)

My list is done too!
Old 03-02-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

My list's done. This just might have been my favorite Oscar challenge since the very first one!

(Copying & Pasting what I said on the movie board)
My favorite Oscar-viewed entries:
*Not including shorts*
Room (2015)
The Look of Silence (2014)
Days of Glory (2006)
What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)
The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
The Reader (2008)
Cry Freedom (1987)
The Decline of the American Empire (1986)
Gone Baby Gone (2007)
Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom (2015) (I saw all the documentary nominees and thought this was the best)
The Young in Heart (1938)

Favorite 2nd-Viewing movie would probably be Terms of Endearment. Haven't seen that since the 80's and thought it held up very well.

Thanks for hosting, Lisa!
Old 03-02-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

My list is done! I got so busy with the Best Picture marathon that I'd neglected updating it. I had a great time watching so many films for the ceremony - saw 50 of the 57 nominees! The marathon was wonderful but exhausting.

The ceremony was wonderful, and I was pleased with the way the awards went. My beloved Mad Max: Fury Road was the big winner, and Spotlight is the most deserving Best Picture winner we've had in a number of years.
Old 03-02-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done done.
Old 03-02-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Thanks for running the challenge, lisadoris!

I finished with 10 viewings, which is pretty much middle of the road for my record in this challenge. I did manage to watch a handful of the current nominees, though I'm disappointed I didn't get to squeeze in The Martian and Marnie Was There, so I'll have to "waste" a slot in future challenges for them. And my kid watched some great films for the first time that qualified.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Mary Poppins
Spoiler:
is great, but I think could benefit from some trimming like we were talking about with other '60s musicals.
Originally Posted by ntnon
MP and Singin' in the Rain are both very long, but don't seem quite as long as they are (to me). If the Uncle Albert song were removed and replaced with a breif Bert/Mary bit about laughs; the capering with Old Mr Whatsit and parts of the bankers' song were cut and the chalk antics were trimmed somehow, it'd be perfect. Similarly, with no ballet interlude, a dialogue replacing the love song on set and some mild cuts to the Broadway visualisation, Singin' would also be better.

But both are already practically perfect. Quotable, relateable, teachable and wonderful.
I watched Mary Poppins after all the talk about it, and didn't change my opinion. Great movie with a fantastic Julie Andrews, but just too long. It's over 20 minutes before she even shows up because every family member has a song. I mean, it's nice to see them as a pre-Mary family, but that was excessive. And I agree that the peripheral-character scenes were too long and were probably better for book readers.

I enjoyed it, though, and it gave me a hankering to rewatch Saving Mr. Banks. In the old days of physical home media, those would've been a two-pack for sure.
Old 03-02-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Hi all. So I went to random.org and asked for numbers between 3-41 (I took out 1 and 2 because those were my posts) and here are our winners:

HyperWeather
Giles
acubfaninmd
tarfrimmer

Congratulations! Please contact Mao to claim your prize. If you're not interested or Mao doesn't receive a response in a reasonable amount of time, I'll ask random.org for more numbers.

Thank you to everyone who participated and I hope people enjoyed their viewings. Now I'm switching gears and starting my re-watch of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Old 03-02-16, 06:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats to the winners and thanks for running a great challenge, lisadoris!

I think this year's 34 items may be the most I have ever watched for this challenge.
Old 03-02-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I watched Mary Poppins after all the talk about it...
Hooray!

...and didn't change my opinion. Great movie with a fantastic Julie Andrews, but just too long. It's over 20 minutes before she even shows up because every family member has a song. I mean, it's nice to see them as a pre-Mary family, but that was excessive. And I agree that the peripheral-character scenes were too long and were probably better for book readers.
Contrarily, I will defend that part! Many films hold back the main character for a bit, and 20m is no time at all when it IS all necessary - we need to know that Mr Banks is punctual and stuffy, that the children run away from their Nanny and that their mother is... flighty. We also need to see the family dynamic - at bedtime, the children are contrite, loving but scared of their father. They get a say because Glynis pleads for them, but their opinions are ignored and snorted at. Even Cook and the maid are shown - and at odds, setting up the later calming - so that we don't just presume MP makes everything better, but see every specific before and after. There's a whole dissertation in the conflicted (but arguably accurately depicted) ultra-feminism AND devoted subservient wife-iness of Mrs Banks, and that too is all shown before, during and after. It's a great 20 minutes and as packed full of brilliance as all the rest of it - his face when he goes to 'pat them on the head' and the policeman's face falling when his story is cut short as he's put in his place; Michael's pride at adding a bit to the lost of requirements, and his mothers' at their efforts... so many tiny moments of comedy and pathos packed up the whole.
Old 03-02-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I watched a lot of TCM, but didn't get to any of the current nominees, despite buying several. (In fact, I was in Target this week and picked up Creed, Room and The Danish Girl.... then thought "I'm not going to watch these before next year," and put them all back on the shelf. I'll get them when they drop in price, maybe.)

Saw some good films, though.
Old 03-03-16, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Well, it turns out that HyperWeather won a prize last month (hooray) and wants to spread the love to other DVDTalkers. So random.org picked Travis McClain.
Old 03-03-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Hooray!

Contrarily, I will defend that part! Many films hold back the main character for a bit, and 20m is no time at all when it IS all necessary - we need to know that Mr Banks is punctual and stuffy, that the children run away from their Nanny and that their mother is... flighty. We also need to see the family dynamic - at bedtime, the children are contrite, loving but scared of their father. They get a say because Glynis pleads for them, but their opinions are ignored and snorted at. Even Cook and the maid are shown - and at odds, setting up the later calming - so that we don't just presume MP makes everything better, but see every specific before and after. There's a whole dissertation in the conflicted (but arguably accurately depicted) ultra-feminism AND devoted subservient wife-iness of Mrs Banks, and that too is all shown before, during and after. It's a great 20 minutes and as packed full of brilliance as all the rest of it - his face when he goes to 'pat them on the head' and the policeman's face falling when his story is cut short as he's put in his place; Michael's pride at adding a bit to the lost of requirements, and his mothers' at their efforts... so many tiny moments of comedy and pathos packed up the whole.
Well said, sir!

I didn't hate the opening sequence, but I went in remembering that I thought the movie needed to be trimmed, and that jumped out at me immediately, even if later sequences proved to be more tedious. It could use more cuts somewhere! And I think it's interesting that Mrs. Banks is a suffragette and all, but it seems you could accomplish that with some dialogue. That said, since I'm a fan of musicals, I SHOULD be in favor of characters using song to express themselves. I haven't yet decided whether I should withdraw that comment.
Old 03-03-16, 12:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lisadoris
Hi all. So I went to random.org and asked for numbers between 3-41 (I took out 1 and 2 because those were my posts) and here are our winners: HyperWeather Giles acubfaninmd tarfrimmer Congratulations!
Thank you! This was a fun challenge. I was happy to finally get around to a whole bunch of movies I've been meaning to see for years.
Old 03-04-16, 01:12 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't believe I made my modest goal...I was sweating it there that last week!

I just went in and changed my list to reflect this year's winners. Anyone else do that?

...just me, then?
Old 03-05-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
I can't believe I made my modest goal...I was sweating it there that last week!

I just went in and changed my list to reflect this year's winners. Anyone else do that?
I update throughout the broadcast, though you have to look at "My List with Annotation of Awards" to see it.
Old 03-09-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats to the winners! I still have a large list that I didn't get to so I'll probably keep them until next year to watch. Still need to see Spotlight!