Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad

That was covered with Lesbians, Brothels and Sex Demons last year. And the Brothels list even mentioned 'prostitute-heavy alleyways'.
probably why it was on my mind for this year lol!
Old 08-13-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Some ideas:

Theaters- Repo: The Genetic Opera (Netflix) (I'm surprised this has never been a subset pick)
Twinsanity-The Other (YouTube)
Occult Detectives-Cast a Deadly Spell (YouTube)
Horror Movies with Child Actors=The Babadook (Netflix)
LGBT Horror-Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (Netflix)
Bigfoot and Yeti Movies-Shriek of the Mutilated-YouTube
Daytime Horror-Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (Netflix)

And as a public service announcement, everyone should add What We Do In The Shadows to their watchlists. It's a mockumentary from the folks behind Flight of the Conchords about a quartet of vampires living together in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a note-perfect riff on vampire lore and I laughed my ass off watching it.

Last edited by Gobear; 08-13-15 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Actors Who Passed and should get a spot:
Christopher Lee
Roddy Piper
As much as I love Piper, outside of They Live, that's going to be hard to do. I saw the list of 13 "movies" and yeah, slim pickings.

Has there been a night for big name Hollywood director who started off as a horror director (James Wan, for example). Or even an up and coming director theme night (basically, going back to James Wan, if this was 2004 or 2005, we can do Wan for Saw). Not sure what directors out there have just had a nice horror hit, but could be worth looking into.

And have we done something like most fucked up twist in a movie
Spoiler:
think Sleepaway Camp with their twist
or Final Girl Gets What is Coming to Her?
Old 08-13-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Some ideas:

Theaters- Repo: The Genetic Opera (Netflix) (I'm surprised this has never been a subset pick)

And as a pubic service announcement, everyone should add What We Do In The Shadows to their watchlists. It's a mockumentary from the folks behind Flight of the Conchords about a quartet of vampires living together in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a note-perfect riff on vampire lore and I laughed my ass off watching it.
I'm down for Babadook and Repo, but please no Nightmare on Elm Street 2. I'm soooo burnt out on Freddy. Plus, while there may be implied instances of the lead character being gay, I'd rather do a movie that is completely out there. Not hiding or never fully admitting to himself.
Old 08-14-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b

And have we done something like most fucked up twist in a movie
I think it's been brought up before but shot down because if someone hadn't seen a movie used for that, it ruins any chance of surprise that there's a twist coming. Also, if someone is looking for something new to them that counts for that, it's super easy to accidentally run across what the twist is.

I even had one ruined for me a couple weeks ago because I went to imdb and they had the mystery described in the plot synapse at the top of the page.
Old 08-14-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

What about movies based on killer plants? Not sure if too obscure.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls053785200/
http://www.top2040.com/2014/08/best-...and-trees.html
http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64315
Old 08-14-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm down for Babadook and Repo, but please no Nightmare on Elm Street 2. I'm soooo burnt out on Freddy. Plus, while there may be implied instances of the lead character being gay, I'd rather do a movie that is completely out there. Not hiding or never fully admitting to himself.
There's any number of lesbian vampire movies. Warlock has a gay character, and Cthulhu's protagonist is a gay man.
Old 08-14-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I support going green
Old 08-14-15, 03:39 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Idea: For the '80s Video Companies theme night, could we not choose a different video company every year to shake it up a bit? Instead of throwing it open to pretty much everything that came out in the '80s, why not pick a company (Media, or Lightning, or Gorgon, or whatever) to provide a little more focus?

Here's a link to a list of various companies, and clicking on each of them brings up a link to a list of all of their releases.

Thoughts?
Old 08-14-15, 04:18 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Idea: For the '80s Video Companies theme night, could we not choose a different video company every year to shake it up a bit? Instead of throwing it open to pretty much everything that came out in the '80s, why not pick a company (Media, or Lightning, or Gorgon, or whatever) to provide a little more focus?

Here's a link to a list of various companies, and clicking on each of them brings up a link to a list of all of their releases.

Thoughts?
I second this idea, those of us older participants could have a lot of fun going through the company's output again. Who knows, some of us may still have the vcr tapes to watch.
Old 08-14-15, 05:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I third that idea.
Old 08-14-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Some ideas:

And as a public service announcement, everyone should add What We Do In The Shadows to their watchlists. It's a mockumentary from the folks behind Flight of the Conchords about a quartet of vampires living together in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a note-perfect riff on vampire lore and I laughed my ass off watching it.
Subset volunteer #2.

As much as I love Piper, outside of They Live, that's going to be hard to do. I saw the list of 13 "movies" and yeah, slim pickings.
Personally I think we should just stick with Christopher Lee for theme nights and reserve the rest of the recently passed for checklist entries. Nobody has anything near his filmography, and he's just in a class by himself.

Has there been a night for big name Hollywood director who started off as a horror director (James Wan, for example). Or even an up and coming director theme night (basically, going back to James Wan, if this was 2004 or 2005, we can do Wan for Saw).

Not sure what directors out there have just had a nice horror hit, but could be worth looking into.
The Splat Pack is probably the closest we've come.

Unfortunately that one provides very little in the number of entries, but we could stitch a few similar ones together - Famous Directors That Started Off in Horror / Directors Who Came Late to the Horror Genre / Horror Movies that are one-time Directorial Efforts / The Up & Up: The 10 Horror Directors to Watch

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I think it's been brought up before but shot down because if someone hadn't seen a movie used for that, it ruins any chance of surprise that there's a twist coming. Also, if someone is looking for something new to them that counts for that, it's super easy to accidentally run across what the twist is.

I even had one ruined for me a couple weeks ago because I went to imdb and they had the mystery described in the plot synapse at the top of the page.
I've had the same happen with plot keyboards. They finally the good sense to remove them from the main page.

Too obscure? No such thing. Added to post 2.

Originally Posted by rbrown498

Thoughts?
I'm all for it ...as long as the links provide an adequate number of better quality transfers. In other words, as long as there's some DVD, Blu-ray and Netflix streaming releases in the bunch, and it's not just strictly pan & scan VHS and VHS quality YouTube video offerings.

And where was that amazing link hiding last year when we needed it??

Last edited by Chad; 08-14-15 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-15-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all for being a subset volunteer as well!
Old 08-16-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely a Christopher Lee list. I have a lot of personal DVD's that I can use for this...A Lot
Old 08-16-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some modifications to the suggestions list...

-Added 'Food that Eats You' (food-related horror) in honor of the 50th Anniversary of Vincent Price's cookbook. It'll probably have to be combined with something else.

-Combined 3 blatantly obvious ones that somehow went unnoticed (Evil Trees and Plants, Killer Plants, and Fierce Fungi, Fruit, Flowers, Flora).

Keep the suggestions and/or voting for your favorite themes and/or subset volunteering coming!

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I'm all for being a subset volunteer as well!
#3. Thank you!

Originally Posted by JOE29
Definitely a Christopher Lee list. I have a lot of personal DVD's that I can use for this...A Lot
Same here.
Old 08-17-15, 11:29 AM

Here are some subset ideas:

Public Domain HorrorsMessiah of Evil (1973) [www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVwvvr9HIPs]
Books In the Mouth of Madness (1994) (will update if can find streaming)
Horrors of War (both work for Horrorestate too) – In A Glass Cage (1986) (will look for streaming), House (1986) [www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_VgQ7JIjes]
Police StationNightbreed (1990) (is on Netflix)
Web of HorrorUnfriended (2015) [recent release, should be Redbox accessible if nothing else]
Hell Jigoku (1960) [www.hulu.com/watch/215880] (eligible for cross over with Criterion Challenge)

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-17-15 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 11:39 AM

John Carpenter has never been a checklist feature, how did that happen? Also 'written by Clive Barker' might be ripe for checklist inclusion.
Old 08-17-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Public Domain HorrorsMessiah of Evil (1973) [www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVwvvr9HIPs]
Horrors of War (both work for Horrorestate too) – In A Glass Cage (1986) (will look for streaming), House (1986) [www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_VgQ7JIjes]
Web of HorrorUnfriended (2015) [recent release, should be Redbox accessible if nothing else]
Hell Jigoku (1960) [www.hulu.com/watch/215880] (eligible for cross over with Criterion Challenge)
Maniac Cop should have been the police station pick. Last I saw, Hulu had at least one of them.

I like all these ideas but I thought someone already suggested something like Web of Horror or maybe it was already a subset pick.
Old 08-17-15, 12:57 PM

Maniac Cop should have been the police station pick. Last I saw, Hulu had at least one of them.

I like all these ideas but I thought someone already suggested something like Web of Horror or maybe it was already a subset pick.
I was just throwing some ideas out there, only one will maybe end up being used.

Maniac Cop is the obvious choice for police theme... but Nightbreed is such an awesome movie it had to be mentioned.

Web of Horror (internet based) was one of the theme night ideas that Chad originally posted so I suggested one subset possibility if that theme sticks.
Old 08-17-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Doesn't one of the later Halloween movies deal with the internet? Something about a reality show set in the Michael Myers home.
Old 08-17-15, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Doesn't one of the later Halloween movies deal with the internet? Something about a reality show set in the Michael Myers home.
Ssssshhh... we don't speak about such things as the later Halloween sequels aloud lest they hear us and become summoned.

Spoiler:
You're brain hates you enough to remember Halloween [8]: Resurrection featuring Busta Rhymes; billed as a "horror comedy" uuuugggggghhhhhh...

Edit:...there was also a Hellraiser installment with a cyber video game plot, Hellraiser [8]: Hellworld (responding to below \/ )

Why do people keep making me think of crappy movies?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-17-15 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I believe you're thinking of Hellraiser.
Old 08-17-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I believe you're thinking of Hellraiser.
He is unfortunately thinking of Halloween 8, which I unfortunately saw in theaters.
Old 08-18-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Subset volunteer #4!

John Carpenter has never been a checklist feature, how did that happen? Also 'written by Clive Barker' might be ripe for checklist inclusion.
He was one of the first on the 2011 list when the directors category was added. No way we'd overlook him.

Originally Posted by Chad
And I have 11 people that died within the past year reserved for checklist entries:

Tom Towles (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0869981

Robert Z'Dar (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0120494

Betsy Palmer (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0658133/

Richard Johnson (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...&genres=Horror

Christopher Lee (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0000489

James Horner (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0000035

Patrick Macnee (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0001495

Jack Carter (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0141660

Irwin Keyes (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0450815

Alex Rocco (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...role=nm0733678

Roddy Piper (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...&genres=Horror

Did I miss anyone?
David A. Pryor (R.I.P.):
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0697935/ (Killer Workout, Deadly Prey, Sledgehammer)

Old 08-18-15, 07:43 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I'll volunteer for a subset. Give me whatever theme you need to farm out.

Rob

Last edited by rbrown498; 08-18-15 at 01:02 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.