Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by ntnon
Not my cup of tea, either. I find the acting styles in most quite wooden and awkward - although style is one thing that doesn't always translate well - and many of the particular content peculiarities seem to either confuse or really bother me* for reasons that seem more to do with style than content. I do sometimes find that parts of them are as scary as any other film, though. And while I know it's probably because of selection bias, so many that I've seen seem to be nearly identical in content as well, which is a shame.

The more comedic Asian horror films I've seen - particularly the two or three this year - have been excellent, however.

*I think it was last year's Japanese subset pick gave me difficulty sleeping for about a week... despite not enjoying the film!
Hm, the 3 that I've liked all had comedic aspects (Hausu, Ichi the Killer and 2LDK). Also there have been a few Asian horror films that are kind of creepy (the first 40 mins of The Eye, for example), but mostly I find them blah.
Old 10-23-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I'm getting my first movie in very late tonight. My company was participating in a spelling bee for adults. It's a charity type of thing; it was our second year participating. We were defending champions and won again! Yay!

I'm the guy in the picture.

After getting home so late, I'm going to stay up past my bed time long enough to get one film watched for today's theme. It has been such a crazy busy week, but it feels good to be a winner again. Anyway, not really horror related, but I thought I'd share.
Old 10-23-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I hereby declare Whip and the Body my new favorite Mario Bava film. Steeped in atmosphere with a rich ghost/love/revenge story.
...and Bava's Five Dolls For an August Moon to be my least favorite of his films (so far) despite the mod psychedelic vibe.
Originally Posted by clckworang
...We were defending champions and won again! Yay!...
Congratulations on the win, you have proven that horror movies do not actually rot one's brain.
Old 10-23-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I hereby declare Whip and the Body my new favorite Mario Bava film. Steeped in atmosphere with a rich ghost/love/revenge story.
It's a phenomenal film and without a doubt Bava's cruelest.
Old 10-23-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

...and Bava's Five Dolls For an August Moon to be my least favorite of his films (so far) despite the mod psychedelic vibe.Congratulations on the win, you have proven that horror movies do not actually rot one's brain.
I don't know how far you've dug into his filmography but you'll find that he's certainly made some duds. I don't think anything is worse than his lone western Roy Colt and Winchester Jack which was painful to get through.
Old 10-24-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This is my reaction to watching Fulci's New York Ripper:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S7FsAgPuVwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-24-14, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody watch Life After Beth? I'm considering it for tonight. Not the biggest fan of current zombie films, but the R-rating and the actress have me intrigued. Would appreciate any insight from those who've watched it.
Old 10-24-14, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Anybody watch Life After Beth? I'm considering it for tonight. Not the biggest fan of current zombie films, but the R-rating and the actress have me intrigued. Would appreciate any insight from those who've watched it.
I quite liked it, but I'm not sure if it helps you coming from someone who likes modern zombie films and hates Aubrey Plaza :P It's fairly different from a typical zombie film - it focuses more on the characters and them dealing with Beth's death/un-death, rather than zombies needing to eat people's faces off. The humour is rather subdued, which is nice, and it does have some genuine emotional moments too. I'd say if you're already interested, you should check it out.
Old 10-24-14, 07:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You forgot:

Sleep is inessential/optional until November.
Yep. Between all the off shift overtime I'm working this month, and the film watching mania, I think I'm averaging 3-4 hours of sleep a day now.
Old 10-24-14, 08:46 AM

Did someone say sleep? Haha
Old 10-24-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the movie but have a hard time getting past Christopher Lee being dubbed.

I'm a Black Sunday/Blood and Black Lace man myself.
Old 10-24-14, 09:10 AM

I always get plenty of sleep during the challenge, even when I watched 300 films a few years ago! I was on a strict 'after 2am'-9am sleep schedule during that one, though I'm sleeping 7-8 hours a night at the moment (going to bed and waking up at my leisure). I don't do well on lack of sleep, so it's more important than a film
Old 10-24-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've now watched at least one movie this month from all of the Legacy Collections I own. I just finished Creature From the Black Lagoon . I love the underwater footage in that movie. And I own a Don Post mask of the Creature too.
For those with 3D tvs, the 3D is very good and worthwhile. Very little of the intrusive and gimmicky stuff that other 50's 3D can have (like House of Wax). The 3D is used to great effect to add overall depth and immersiveness to the jungle and underwater scenes.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm getting my first movie in very late tonight. My company was participating in a spelling bee for adults. It's a charity type of thing; it was our second year participating. We were defending champions and won again! Yay!

After getting home so late, I'm going to stay up past my bed time long enough to get one film watched for today's theme. It has been such a crazy busy week, but it feels good to be a winner again. Anyway, not really horror related, but I thought I'd share.
Good job! Am I the only one who checked his post to see if all the words were spelled correctly?
Spoiler:
They were

Congratulations on the win, you have proven that horror movies do not actually rot one's brain.
But you'll notice he said he put off all horror movies until after the victory. If he hadn't, he may not have won. And that would be conclusive evidence that horror movies do rot the brain.
Old 10-24-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I saw on the news this morning that there was something in NYC that was like something out of a real life horror film. A man using a hatchet to attack some policemen.
Old 10-24-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
We've always counted according to movie rules in the past.
It doesn't seem right to me that Never Seep Again is the same length but someone said, within the last week, that it can be counted with tv rules.
Old 10-24-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
It doesn't seem right to me that Never Seep Again is the same length but someone said, within the last week, that it can be counted with tv rules.
NSA is 1hr and 20 mins longer than the trailer compilation.

240mins ≠ 2hrs & 40mins
Old 10-24-14, 01:23 PM

Stupidest thing I've seen all month - in Resident Evil 3 a character pauses to light a joint just before he is swarmed by zombies; totally jarring from the popcorn action beforehand.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse was better than I recalled, good urban setting with a nice apocalyptic feel. Not a masterpiece but a fair action horror.

I didn't have high expectations going into the Resident Evil films... hopefully they somehow get better after the third.
Old 10-24-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stupidest thing I've seen all month - in Resident Evil 3 a character pauses to light a joint just before he is swarmed by zombies; totally jarring from the popcorn action beforehand.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse was better than I recalled, good urban setting with a nice apocalyptic feel. Not a masterpiece but a fair action horror.

I didn't have high expectations going into the Resident Evil films... hopefully they somehow get better after the third.
At least be sure to see the rest in 3D
Old 10-24-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

*SPOILERS*
You're talking about after Carlos is infected and he volunteers to make a suicide run to open a way to the compound. He crashes and is trapped in the truck cab surrounded by zombies. Then he spies a hand-rolled cigarette - not a joint. Somewhere previously in the movie it's noted that he's a smoker and that they've run out of cigarettes. Besides he has to give the zombies time to properly swarm him so the explosion will be more effective.
*SPOILER*
Old 10-24-14, 02:05 PM

Watching the intro action scene to Resident Evil: Retribution play out in reverse slow motion is one of the cooler things I've seen so far this month. It's neat how the films eventually form an apocalyptic extended universe... but eventually Retribution ends up being the most paper thin disposable one of the bunch of a weird cop-out excuse for a plot.
Originally Posted by coyoteblue
*SPOILERS*
That makes more sense, thanks for clarifying. Initially the segment seemed really out of place.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
At least be sure to see the rest in 3D
Unfortunately I don't have a 3D emitter on my TV... yet.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-24-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I quite liked it, but I'm not sure if it helps you coming from someone who likes modern zombie films and hates Aubrey Plaza :P It's fairly different from a typical zombie film - it focuses more on the characters and them dealing with Beth's death/un-death, rather than zombies needing to eat people's faces off. The humour is rather subdued, which is nice, and it does have some genuine emotional moments too. I'd say if you're already interested, you should check it out.
All sounds good to me, and thanks for the thoroughness of your response. Once I also noticed Anna Kendrick and John C. Reilly were in the cast, I was completely sold. Long day at work, and I'm only disappointed that this will probably be my only film for the day. Excited about tomorrow and Sunday's themes. Actually, every theme from here to the end is awesome.
Old 10-24-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Finally got enough shorts to equal an entry, and I didn't use a single wild card for any of the shorts either.
Old 10-24-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The Resident Evil series is a real guilty pleasure for me. Still hoping to marathon a bunch of them next week. I think I own all but the latest.

As discussed earlier in the month, I'm a Broadway fan so I couldn't resist someone's mention of Stage Fright. It was very lame, but I agree there was more appeal for a theater person who could get the inside jokes. Score was pretty mediocre as well. But I'm glad I satisfied my curiosity.

In other news, I finally opened that supercheap Scream 1-3 BD set and watched all the features, and #3 was a new viewing for me. I may get around to #4 someday.

I also saw The Purge, which I'd forgotten about years ago, then I saw publicity for the sequel coming out so I rented the original. I know it got pretty much hated around here, and I agree with some of the reasons (stupid decisions, obvious resolution), but it had a good creepy vibe. Yes, the characters didn't really need to wear masks, but the masks were chilling so I didn't mind. I hear the sequel is pretty different so I may watch that for next year's challenge.
Old 10-24-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
NSA is 1hr and 20 mins longer than the trailer compilation.

240mins ≠ 2hrs & 40mins
Imdb says never sleep again is 240 minutes. The trailer comp is 223 minutes. I was using a metric conversion of time...yeah, that's it. Actually I was pretty sick and apparently really bad at math.
Old 10-24-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Someone just ding dong ditched me, and of course my first thought was that there must be someone out to get me, a malevolent masked type of person. They knew I was watching Dial: Help and decided someone with taste so bad had to die.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.