Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Overnight Amazon price drops on the following Criterion BD titles (so far): The Qatsi Trilogy, The Thin Red Line, On the Waterfront, The Badlands, Richard III, The Darjeeling Limited, The Blob. All more than 50% off. I'll update if there are more.

Also, thanks for the feedback about Kind Hearts and Coronets, I'll respond when I get a few more minutes this evening.
Old 09-04-13, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback on The Killer. I was going go go with Hard Boiled next but FYE is running a buy 2 get 1 free on used and my local manager is a huge Criterion guy and he gets a lot of them in used so I picked up Rules of the Game, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Blow Out today. I'm watching Blow Out next since some of you gave it rave reviews.
Old 09-04-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
After watching The Hidden Fortress I decided I wanted to watch another one before bed tonight. I did want to watch something a little easier on the brain, so after going through what I had that qualified, I ended up with The Rock. I know I'm not supposed to like it-Michael Bay, Nicholas Cage...but it's impossible not to.

I love Sean Connery, he's perfect in this. There's Michael Biehn as well as Ed Harris. How can you not like this movie? It's fast paced, lots of explosions, shooting, explosions, life or death situations, and hey, did I mention explosions? It's funny and witty-to paraphrase Roger Ebert who wrote the essay on the movie.

I also haven't watched it in awhile, and was pleasantly surprised that it still holds up well. So, if you're looking for a break in the more serious films, tired of reading subtitles--watch this one. It's a great popcorn, edge of your seat movie.
No, The Rock is the Michael Bay film that it's OK to like. I often watch it for this challenge because I've seen it so many times that it's great for background watching.

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Overnight Amazon price drops on the following Criterion BD titles (so far): The Qatsi Trilogy, The Thin Red Line, On the Waterfront, The Badlands, Richard III, The Darjeeling Limited, The Blob. All more than 50% off. I'll update if there are more.
It's a Deal of the Day. Do we have an Amazon mole on the forum?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1001223891
Old 09-04-13, 12:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

when and if I ever get a chance to actually watch something - have family intown til the 14th... I just realized I can watch the new bluray edition of 'Time Bandits' - sweet!!
Old 09-04-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Yesterday, I watched Fellini’s Variety Lights (1950) which is a fun film. It follows a young dancer who hooks up with a traveling show (made me want to rewatch Carnivale), and the pompous performer who becomes infatuated with her. The essay on Criterion's sight compares it to All About Eve, which is an apt comparison. My reaction mirrored my reaction to The Hidden Fortress. Both films are straightforward films from directors I usually associate with more layered or nuanced narratives. This makes it sound like I am disparaging these films, but I’m not; they are expertly made. I suppose there just isn’t much I have to say expect: watch them and smile!

Then I watched something completely different: Luis Buñuel’s The Milky Way (1969). I was introduced to Buñuel through a screening of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. I instantly feel in love – even though the film confused the hell out of me. I quickly watched more of his films but had never got around to this one. Its DVD release highlights why I really like the Criterion Collection. While watching the film, I was again confused (not the sharpest) and did not find it as interesting or fulfilling as the director’s other films. I was expecting a withering satire, and while there are definitely satirical parts and an absurdist tone throughout, the film really just explores how religious fanaticism operates by putting the world on a slant.

So after watching, I felt dissatisfied and worked my way through the provided interviews, documentary and essays. Through these, I was able to develop a clear idea about the film’s objectives and the context in which it was made. I think my initial (and continued on some points) confusion is due to my ignorance of Catholicism. The parts I found funny were connected with issues that were also applicable to Protestantism. I grew up United Pentecostal – which was an odd experience – so I was able to grasp some of the points about fanatics and quibbling over semantics and minor points. In the interview with Jean-Claude Carrière, he mentions that Milos Forman that the film was very political, because it’s critique of fanaticism could also be applied to political and philosophical movements of the time – something I would never have though of even though it makes perfect sense.
Old 09-04-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
when and if I ever get a chance to actually watch something - have family intown til the 14th... I just realized I can watch the new bluray edition of 'Time Bandits' - sweet!!
I need to revisit that film. I was too young and didn't understand film nearly as well when I first watched it. My younger, stupider self wrote it off as weird, and I never revisited it.
Old 09-04-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

After three consecutive crime dramas, late last night I selected something entirely different: 2010's Copie conforme [Certified Copy]. We've talked about watching films with others versus alone, and this is a prime example of a film I don't think could have affected me nearly the way it did had I not watched it alone in the middle of the night. I had a lot to say about this one. From my Letterboxd diary:

***SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAIL***
Spoiler:
I have lots of reactions to Copie conforme, none of which I can honestly say are fully developed.

Abbas Kiarostami
The lion's share of Godfrey Cheshire's 2012 essay for Criterion, Certified Copy: At Home and Abroad is dedicated to analyzing the film in the context of its auteur. Here, I must confess my complete ignorance of Kiarostami. I have a passing understanding of Iranian culture (I've read Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis and I tinted my Twitter avatar green in 2009), but most of the essay was directed at a reader more knowledgeable of Kiarostami than me.

The part that did catch my attention, however, was Cheshire's speculation of how Kiarostami viewed the genesis and production of "...a film made outside Iran, in foreign languages, was perhaps a creative dare he couldn’t resist." I thought of how, to date, the only film I've seen that was directed by François Truffaut is Fahrenheit 451 - his only film shot in English. It was happenstance in both instances, but there is something curious to me that my initial foray into either filmography should be their ventures outside their own milieus and conventions.

Value of Art
The argument advanced by James Miller (William Shimell) in his book holds that replicas of art, rather than being the soulless knock-offs dismissed by intellectualism, can be just as meaningful in the eye of the beholder. I thought of Chester Harding's portrait of Daniel Boone. Harding was the only artist to ever work from Boone himself, having met the famed pioneer in his twilight years. Boone sat for a series of sketches, from which Harding later made a few fully developed portraits.

One of the portraits is in the collection at the J.B. Speed Art Museum in Louisville, KY. I have seen it half a dozen times over the years, most recently last summer. I spent nearly a full twenty minutes in near solitude with the portrait, studying it, mentally appraising the subtle differences between that one and the one shown on Wikipedia. Harding's sketches, of course, would be the "original" (provided one doesn't extend the argument that Boone himself was the original), and all of the portraits made from them are mere copies.

What of it?

When I study the portrait, it does not matter that it is one of a few pieces all borne of a series of sketches. What matters is that it was painted by the only artist to ever sit across a table from Boone. Harding looked into his face, and was therefore the only artist truly qualified to depict not just the overall appearance of Boone's face, but to try to convey his essence. Harding is our only reliable source for "seeing" Boone. First generation or second, the work stands on its own. I'm with James Miller on this.

Enjoyment vs. Appreciation
This is a broader argument, and one that arises at least weekly in discussions among Flickchart users. What matters when discussing a film? Its context? Its historical influence? Authorial intent? Or is it simply whether or not one likes a film or not? Is liking a film the same thing as saying the film is good?

I'm of the mind that there is such a thing as objectivity about film. There are techniques to all the various crafts, from writing to editing, that can be evaluated. That is a separate matter from how one feels about the film. I can recognize that a film is good, while not liking it. I can like a film while recognizing that it is not good. I'm not so arrogant as to equate what I like with a verdict of the quality of a film. Others, however, seem to view film through the lens of pure id, condemning anything they dislike regardless of its importance. In this, I side more with Elle than with James Miller.

James Miller and Elle
Cheshire notes that "In a shot where the woman leans over to whisper something (we never learn what) to Elle, and completely blocks the camera’s view of her, it may be said that the film goes through the looking glass." The film changes from a debate over interpretations of the meaning of art to a study of marital relationship. It's much more subtle than, say, the break in From Dusk to Dawn's transition from crime drama to horror film, but it's no less palpable.

Cheshire explores questions such as which half of the film is "true", or whether both halves are true in different ways. I'm content at present to simply accept that the first half engaged my intellect and that the second half spoke to my heart. I'm not particularly concerned with knowing whether they were critic and fan or husband and wife.

Elle
Cheshire defines the break in the film as being the unheard remark from the barista to Elle, but for me it happens earlier than that. Before Miller takes his phone call out of doors, he began to describe watching a mother walking with her son. Elle cries, but remains stoic. They both know what they're talking about, though we don't.

Though it's James Miller who espouses the pseudo-academic philosophy of living for moment, it's Juliette Binoche's Elle who imbues the film with its emotional immediacy. Her mind is on the past and the future, but it's because she's struggling to use the present to connect them. Elle at first appears to be the antithesis of Miller's carpe diem ideal, but where he is intent on the ephemeral, she longs for the contentment of a more permanent enjoyment. She is willing to accept that life will not be an endless parade of larks, so long as there is a shoulder on which she can always rest her head.

I thought of the collapse of my own marriage, and how my withdrawal into my depression kept me from doing little things like walking with my hand on my wife's shoulder. The shots in the restaurant of Binoche staring directly into the camera felt accusatory and made me flinch. I felt guilty and fought back my own tears.

I will not be immortalized with a statue in a fountain.

Copie conforme entered my Flickchart at #18/1565

Copie conforme [Certified Copy]
-X- 2000/2010 (2010)
-X- 601-650 (#612)
-X- Language: English, French, Italian
-X- People: -X- Jean-Claude Carrière
-X- Essay: Certified Copy: At Home and Abroad by Godfrey Cheshire
Old 09-05-13, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
For those with Amazon Prime, I offer this list of films I've just created for myself of applicable titles:

Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein

The Killing
Quadrophenia
Pulp Fiction
My Man Godfrey
Dr. Strangelove
Certified Copy
Citizen Kane
Spinal Tap
Things to Come
A Canterbury Tale
[Powell/Pressburger]
Une Femme est Une Femme
Decameron
Canterbury Tales
[Pasolini]
Tiny Furniture
Emperor Jones
Casablanca
Cul-de-Sac
Che 1
Che 2
Night Train to Munich
Crumb
Days of Heaven
Plus:

Gomorrah
Richard III
The Following
The Last Emperor
Time Bandits
Atomic Cafe
Corridors of Blood
Carrie
Midnight Cowboy
King Kong

In addition, the two I Love Lucy episodes released on the short-lived TV laserdiscs - "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" and "Job Switching" - are episodes #12 and #17 on The Best Of I Love Lucy Volume 1.

(N.B. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, To Be or Not To Be, Ran, Bridge on the River Kwai, Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and Breaker Morant have also all been free at one point or another during the past few months,and could conceivably go again.)

Last edited by ntnon; 09-05-13 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Found my first clunker of the challenge: My Man Godfrey. From my Letterboxd diary:
Spoiler:
I had hoped that Diane Jacobs's 2001essay for Criterion would help me find a stronger appreciation for My Man Godfrey, but it seems that I really was supposed to content myself to laugh at the antics and marvel at the acting. I can appreciate where this might go over well with a theater audience, where a crowd might feed on its own energy, but watching at home by myself I simply found the film flat, predictable and tedious.

I loved the opening credits, though, and I did find Gail Patrick's haughty Cornelia interesting. It's a pity that her character was dismissed so thoroughly in the film's final act. There for awhile, I had the glimmer of hope that something interesting might occur with her.

My Man Godfrey entered my Flickchart at #1445/1566

My Man Godfrey
-X- 1920/1930 (1936)
-X- 101-150 (#114)
-X- Language: English
-X- Theme: Classic Hollywood
-X- Theme: Comedies
-X- Theme: Compare and Contrast*
-X- Theme: Cut!*
-X- Theme: New York Stories
-X- Essay: My Man Godfrey by Diane Jacobs
1/10 List: Whit Stillman's Top 10

*Compare and Contrast and Cut! are Themes where just watching the feature itself doesn't count.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 09-06-13 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added Whit Stillman's Top 10
Old 09-05-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love My Man Godfrey.

I don't know if it will sway you, but Roger Ebert's Great Films essay was what initially made me aware of it.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gr...n-godfrey-1936

"What you have to observe and admire is how gently the film offers its moments of genius."
Old 09-05-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
I love My Man Godfrey.

I don't know if it will sway you, but Roger Ebert's Great Films essay was what initially made me aware of it.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gr...n-godfrey-1936

"What you have to observe and admire is how gently the film offers its moments of genius."
God, but this film is beautiful. The cinematography by Ted Tetzlaff is a shimmering argument for everything I've ever tried to say in praise of black and white. Look me in the eye and tell me you would prefer to see it in color.
On that, I'll agree with Mr. Ebert.

A couple of reviewers on the Web complain that the plot is implausible.
To this critique, he offers the remainder of his essay, but only addresses the implausibility of Godfrey's financial wizardry. I guess after years of watching Alfred Pennyworth come to the aid of Bruce Wayne, that kind of thing doesn't even faze me. Nothing is said, though, of how grating the family is - an issue that frustrated me far more than the contrivance of Godfrey solving things.

Both Diane Jacobs and Mr. Ebert name-checked Preston Sturges's Sullivan's Travels in their respective essays. There is at least one fundamental difference between these two films, though: Sturges didn't view the downtrodden as "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" (to borrow from Steinbeck). This film does, mocking and insulting the forgotten men of the Depression or contemporary viewers who know all too well what "underemployed" means and find the idea of upward mobility a fantasy.

In its way, My Man Godfrey is very much like the family: Egocentric and vapid, oblivious to and inconvenienced by the real suffering that Sturges confronted directly, without flinching. The film opens with the promise indict the upper class, but if anyone learns a lesson it's only something we're meant to project.
Old 09-05-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Wish me luck, fellas. I'm about to dive into a Merchant Ivory flick (Howard's End)
Old 09-05-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
On that, I'll agree with Mr. Ebert.

To this critique, he offers the remainder of his essay, but only addresses the implausibility of Godfrey's financial wizardry. I guess after years of watching Alfred Pennyworth come to the aid of Bruce Wayne, that kind of thing doesn't even faze me. Nothing is said, though, of how grating the family is - an issue that frustrated me far more than the contrivance of Godfrey solving things.

Both Diane Jacobs and Mr. Ebert name-checked Preston Sturges's Sullivan's Travels in their respective essays. There is at least one fundamental difference between these two films, though: Sturges didn't view the downtrodden as "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" (to borrow from Steinbeck). This film does, mocking and insulting the forgotten men of the Depression or contemporary viewers who know all too well what "underemployed" means and find the idea of upward mobility a fantasy.

In its way, My Man Godfrey is very much like the family: Egocentric and vapid, oblivious to and inconvenienced by the real suffering that Sturges confronted directly, without flinching. The film opens with the promise indict the upper class, but if anyone learns a lesson it's only something we're meant to project.
There were some excellent films about poverty in the 1930s (DEAD END, HEROES FOR SALE, WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD), but I want to single out another film from that era that dealt with a rich family confronted with poverty, THREE-CORNERED MOON (1933), starring Claudette Colbert. In it, a once-rich family falls upon hard times. It's treated lightly for most of it, but gets pretty serious at the end, when Colbert's fiancé, an aspiring novelist, turns down an office job he's been offered so he can keep working on the novel he's been working on for years. Meanwhile, everyone else is on the verge of starving and they were counting on his salary. It leads to a pretty harrowing scene between the fiancé, who's been living with them, and Colbert and her family. When I saw the film, I was married and having serious financial problems and I saw something of myself in the fiancé and it scared the hell out of me. (The marriage ended and so, eventually, did my financial problems. But that's another story.)

In any event, for those reasons, I tend to prefer THREE-CORNERED MOON to MY MAN GODFREY. (Although Carole Lombard at her most lunatic is always something marvelous to behold.)
Old 09-05-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There were some excellent films about poverty in the 1930s (DEAD END, HEROES FOR SALE, WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD), but I want to single out another film from that era that dealt with a rich family confronted with poverty, THREE-CORNERED MOON (1933), starring Claudette Colbert. In it, a once-rich family falls upon hard times. It's treated lightly for most of it, but gets pretty serious at the end, when Colbert's fiancé, an aspiring novelist, turns down an office job he's been offered so he can keep working on the novel he's been working on for years. Meanwhile, everyone else is on the verge of starving and they were counting on his salary. It leads to a pretty harrowing scene between the fiancé, who's been living with them, and Colbert and her family. When I saw the film, I was married and having serious financial problems and I saw something of myself in the fiancé and it scared the hell out of me. (The marriage ended and so, eventually, did my financial problems. But that's another story.)

In any event, for those reasons, I tend to prefer THREE-CORNERED MOON to MY MAN GODFREY. (Although Carole Lombard at her most lunatic is always something marvelous to behold.)
I've not seen My Man Godfrey, so i cannot commit on that, but I have seen Three-Cornered Moon and "ditto" everything Ash says about it. It's a great film, and I love Colbert in it. I feel like she is one of those actresses who doesn't get the recognition that she deserves.

This may not be a very conventional "poverty" film, but I would add Gold Diggers of 1933 to the list. While a wealthy "angel" is eventually found, the main characters have their show close due to a lack of funds. Also, there's a great number about the "forgotten man" that was added to the end. Great film!
Old 09-05-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Wish me luck, fellas. I'm about to dive into a Merchant Ivory flick (Howard's End)
Good luck! It's one of my favorite Merchant Ivory films, perhaps only topped by A Room with a View which is one of those transcendently beautiful films for me.
Old 09-05-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I watched my first Bresson for this challenge: A MAN ESCAPED (1956), about a prisoner of the Nazis in France in 1943 and his elaborate preparations for an escape, focusing on each of the details of it. Kind of the antithesis of SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. Two things bothered me and presented me with questions that hampered my enjoyment of the film. Can anyone who's seen it read my questions and comment?

Spoiler:
The prisoner gets a package of clothing delivered to him, yet instead of changing his blood-stained shirt and pants from his arrival in prison for new ones, he slices up each item of new clothing with his hidden razor for use as components of the rope he will fashion for his escape. Why didn't he change his shirt at least and then use the bloody shirt to slice up into rope? Wouldn't the guards have wondered why he received a package of clothing, which they opened and inspected, and then not worn any of it?

Also, during the escape, the prisoner, weakened by months of a flimsy soup-only near-starvation diet, overpowers a guard and kills him, although this happens off-camera. He doesn't have a weapon, other than a metal hook he'd crafted out of something in the cell for use with the rope and I don't believe he had the hook with him when he went to kill the guard. How'd he kill the guard? Without that explanation I couldn't accept the rest of the film.

I have two other Bressons lined up: AU HASARD BALTHAZAR and PICKPOCKET. We'll see how those go.
Old 09-05-13, 06:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Two things bothered me and presented me with questions that hampered my enjoyment of the film. Can anyone who's seen it read my questions and comment?
I had thought about those two things when I watched it over the weekend too. Neither issue was really a dealbreaker for me though as I really enjoyed this.

Spoiler:
The not changing his clothes thing was the most glaring thing to me. The only thing I can think is that perhaps he continued to wear the bloody shirt as an act of defiance to show that he is able to stand up to their beatings. I did really wonder how the guards wouldn't have noticed the clothes missing though since they were conducting searches of the cells for pencils supposedly at that point. They definitely should have noticed them missing.

As for your second question, I assumed he still had access to the hook, but thinking about it more, perhaps he didn't if it was still anchored somewhere. While your points about him being weakened and realistically not being able to escape are certainly fair, this didn't bug me as much. I just chalked it up to him having a surge of energy and righteous indignation that enabled him to lash out and defeat an opponent of superior strength who represented his tormentors. It being based off a true story, I can only assume that the real guy was in a similar state of near-starvation and weakness when he escaped. Of course, he may or may not have had to actually kill someone to get away though.
Old 09-05-13, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Well, there is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to personal responses to a work of art (but I'm sure you already knew that.)
Of course, it's just that when there is a sea of positive response to a film and I don't feel it, especially older films, I feel like I might be missing something. I don't like the Lord of the Rings films, but I know why I don't like them much more than I know why I don't like Kind Hearts and Coronets.

I'm not sure I can put up a great defense for it though - it's just one of the first British comedies that really connected with me. I love its pitch-black sense of humor ("I shot an arrow into the air - she fell to Earth in Berkeley square.")
This was my singular, quiet chuckle.

I also think it's a pretty brilliant and savage (if not particularly subtle) satire of British aristocracy. As for sympathizing with any of the characters - I don't think you're supposed to connect much with the people he kills, since they're mostly made out to be pretty decadent and degenerate - completely undeserving of their place in society. On the other hand, I do kind of sympathize with Dennis Price's "protagonist" - he is the victim of injustice after all. Of course, he also turns out to be completely evil - and he also becomes a target of the film's satire and ridicule - but you can understand why he would be angry.
Yeah, I understood the satire of the aristocracy, but I think about a play like The Importance of Being Earnest and think how characters know that they are participants in absurdity of this system, but everyone in Kind Hearts and Coronets seems oblivious to that absurdity. Perhaps that's the point, but I found myself without sympathy for everyone, except maybe the unseen (mostly) subjects of the aristocratic feuds. Price is a victim of injustice, but he slays a path of killing on his way to the person he takes issue with. They all don't seem hostile; the photographer, particularly is an unfortunate person left in Price's wake.

Out of curiosity, have you seen any of the other Ealing comedies? Even if you didn't like this one, I'd recommend giving The Lavender Hill Mob and The Ladykillers (neither is in the collection, unfortunately) a try at some point in the future. They've all got a similarly dark sense of humor, but they're different enough that you still might enjoy them even if you disliked Kind Hearts.
I'll definitely put them on the list. It's entirely possible that I was in a mood that didn't mesh with the film or, more likely, that I'm just not a big fan of black comedies.

Well, firstly, anyone who places it ahead of Lawrence of Arabia lacks credibility so ignore those people.
Indeed.

Agreed. It's very much a populist film, but it's also very much a specifically British populist film. I think it requires more than a passing familiarity with that embittered perspective to truly appreciate. The family comes off as self-indulgent twits, which of course they are, but they're the truest definition of the "e" word that has become the most scathing epithet in society ("entitled").
Price's entitled nature bothers me as much as everyone else's...heck, it bothers me more because a number of his victims seem completely oblivious to their entitlement, which is probably true of entitlement anyway.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm a big fan of the film, but can see why it wouldn't be universally liked. It is a comical indictment of British aristocracy as well as the conniving upwardly-mobiles. It's also so incredibly British that I could not resist it. (I'm something of an Anglo-phile.) I will confess that it has been a number of years since I last watched the film so I cannot really get into the particulars of why I liked it. I do remember liking that the film never pulls its punches and also provides some fun commentary on the hobbies and foibles of the upper class.

Excellent remarks! I need to revisit the film. If you like Alec Guinness, you should watch Last Holiday (1950) if you haven't already. It was part of one of those Essential Art House sets. Definitely worth checking out. Guinness gives a wonderful performance.
Yeah, I have no problem with it being "British" as "Coupling" may very well be my favorite show of all time. I've watched a great deal of BBC with enjoyment and generally like other British films (The Red Shoes, Lawrence of Arabia, Barry Lyndon, The Third Man, Blow-up immediately come to mind. I just didn't connect with this...and it's bothering me. I might have to try again next year. I'll keep The Last Holiday in mind in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Old 09-05-13, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
It's a Deal of the Day. Do we have an Amazon mole on the forum?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1001223891
Didn't know that (until you said something). Checked out "another BD deal" website and thought it was worth getting the word out.

I didn't pick-up any titles as I either owned or was not interested in what was available.
Old 09-05-13, 07:28 PM

After three consecutive crime dramas, late last night I selected something entirely different: 2010's Copie conforme [Certified Copy]. We've talked about watching films with others versus alone, and this is a prime example of a film I don't think could have affected me nearly the way it did had I not watched it alone in the middle of the night. I had a lot to say about this one. From my Letterboxd diary:
This is one that I really need to revisit. I watched it for last year's challenge and I think I watched it over 3 separate viewings and was not fully aware of what I was watching. As a general rule I love Juliette Binoche. Your review, once again, was good.
Old 09-05-13, 09:56 PM

Apologies for the basic format to this, but I started typing up a few in another program and thought it would be good to share. All of these are just going by memory/1st reaction, so I may have missed a title or two.

Upcoming Criterion on TCM Schedule:

10-Sep City Lights 1:45AM
10-Sep Safety Last! 4:15AM
10-Sep Rififi 10:00AM
10-Sep Nanook of the North 8:00PM
10-Sep Thief of Bagdad 9:30PM
11-Sep Passion of Joan of Arc 12:15AM
11-Sep Vampyr 7:30AM
12-Sep The Bicycle Thief 12:15AM
12-Sep Winter Light 4:00AM
13-Sep Brute Force 4:15PM
15-Sep The Man Who Knew Too Much 3:30PM
16-Sep Summer With Monika 2:15AM
16-Sep The Private Life of Henry VIII 6:00AM
20-Sep La Jette 8:00PM
22-Sep The Lady Vanishes 1:15PM
22-Sep The 39 Steps 8:00PM
24-Sep L'Atlante 9:00PM
24-Sep Grand Illusion 10:45PM
25-Sep Rules of the Game 12:45AM
25-Sep Port of Shadows 4:00AM
29-Sep Rebecca 8:00PM
29-Sep Notorious 10:15PM
30-Sep Le Notti Bianche 2:15AM
30-Sep Brief Encounter 4:15AM
30-Sep Stagecoach 8:00PM
30-Sep Citizen Kane 11:15PM
1-Oct Rome, Open City 4:30AM
Old 09-05-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a bit of disappointment. I am away from home tonight but planned ahead. Grabbed a couple movies and the portable DVD player. Thought I was all set--and the player doesn't work. It's not a huge setback but I was looking forward to crossing Godzilla off my list of shame. Tomorrow, I guess! I also picked up Seven Samurai and while I wasn't planning on watching it tonight, I did read the book that came with it. It's funny how some of the essays made me not want to watch it and then immediately following those were some that did. All in how it was presented, I think!
Old 09-06-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went back to Amazon to stream The Harder They Come. From my Letterboxd diary:

***SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAIL***

Spoiler:
I'm so white, I knew some of these songs from Willie Nelson's Countryman album. It was a thrill to hear the original versions by Jimmy Cliff. I have a passing familiarity with Jamaica so I knew going into the film about things like rampant corruption and crime. As Michael Dare put it in his 2000 essay for Criterion, "It’s an anti-tourism film—violent and energetic, yet somehow managing to discreetly combine political realism with show-biz fantasy shootouts."

The Harder They Come starts off as Footloose (but with better music) before becoming À bout de souffle [Breathless]. It's easy at first to identify with Ivan (Cliff). He's the new kid in town with dreams of making it big as a singer, only to find himself in over his head in a dog-eat-dog world. Rooting for him comes easily, even during the first part of the film that feels formulaic and familiar.

What makes The Harder They Come so fascinating, though, isn't just that it then morphs into a crime drama with political commentary on the corruption of the drug trade. It's that even as the film changes tone and direction around him, Ivan remains the same. We see a change in Ivan after he capitulates and takes the $20 for his record, but that feels more like reassurance than a paradigm shift. For the most part, though, Ivan is the same guy at the end of the film that he is at the outset: a dreamer with stars in his eyes.

This, in turn, asks us to question the degrees by which we measure worthiness of sympathy. If we identified with Ivan in the beginning, and if Ivan didn't really change, then how do we feel about Ivan at the end? Do we feel betrayed? Do we remain on his side, seeing the police are little more than a stand-in for all his other adversaries? How much weight do those badges carry with us? Would it bother us if instead of shooting cops, Ivan had taken on competing drug traffickers?

It's easy for a lot of viewers to dismiss Ivan out of hand as a short-sighted, egocentric punk who couldn't leave well enough alone and got what he deserved in the end. I certainly don't endorse violence, much less shooting cops, but on a philosophical level there's a large part of me that remained sympathetic to Ivan through to the very end. Our society discourages, stifles and swindles countless people out of using their natural talents and pursuing things bigger than themselves, and it's in that context that Ivan's defiance resonates.

The Harder They Come entered my Flickchart at #688/1567

The Harder They Come
-X- 1970 (1973)
-X- 051-100 (#83)
-X- Language: English
-X- Theme: Great Soundtracks
-X- Essay: The Harder They Come by Michael Dare
1/10 List: Adam Yauch's Top 10
1/10 List: Joe Swanberg's Top 10
1/10 List: Susie Bright's Top 10
1/10 List: Whit Stillman's Top 10
Old 09-06-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While auditing the Top 10 lists that include The Harder They Come, I discovered that Whit Stillman's Top 10 also includes My Man Godfrey. I've gone back to my previous post and added that to the list of potential check marks. I love that Criterion includes those Explore links, but I wish they didn't limit them to just five per film page!
Old 09-06-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Good luck! It's one of my favorite Merchant Ivory films, perhaps only topped by A Room with a View which is one of those transcendently beautiful films for me.
Got done with it earlier. This may have had a better storyline that Room/View, but I'm with you in the rankings. Room/View was just more visually alive than this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.