Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

picked up some hardcovers for 10$ a pop
Batman n52 vol 1-3
Joker Death of the family
Batman Earth One
Old 08-10-14, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll be going out of state next week and needed some material to hold me over, so I scooped up Jude Dredd issues (volumes 3 & 4) and some individuals issues that completed #9-#21. I also subscribed to the series. I do believe that the Judge Anderson series or mini-series is released this coming week or before the month ends and I will most certainly get that one, too.

I also scooped up issues #1-#3 of Monster & Madman.

I'll eventually collect the remaining issues of Revival since I stopped at issue #8. We'll see as I've noticed that the reviews went from highly positive to mixed/negative as the series progressed.

I really do love digital comics.
Old 08-14-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll eventually collect the remaining issues of Revival since I stopped at issue #8. We'll see as I've noticed that the reviews went from highly positive to mixed/negative as the series progressed.
I thought the first year was very solid. But their first (and only) arc has dragged on nearly two years now with no resolution, or revelations, in sight.
Old 08-30-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i actually really liked The watson and Holmes book but stopped picking it up after the first arc to prune my pull.

Today I picked up
Invincible vol 1
Batman The Long Halloween
Old 08-31-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201139963837

Originally Posted by Jory
^ Sweet. Looking forward to it.

And I have another to add to my recent purchases list:

It's the 600+ page hardcover Marvel Omnibus with every issue. I was preparing myself to pay $60 or more for it (it has a $100 list price), but I saw brand new copies selling on eBay for $22. It took me about four nanoseconds to hit the Buy It Now button, after glancing at the feedback page to make sure the seller had a good rep. Best deal I've seen in a long while.
Old 08-31-14, 06:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I recently picked up that John Carter omnibus too. Very cheap! I remember reading that Marvel basically liquidated them since they were losing the license to another company. I finally got around to picking up the Avengers Vol. 1 omnibus now that I saw the second one was going to come out in the Spring.
Old 08-31-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It appears there has been a recent warehouse liquidation once again (translation: the publisher vastly overestimated demand and is now dumping them through back channels). A couple of different Omnibuses show up if you sort based on price in this range. A couple of neat DC hardcovers are also showing up.

Enabling hoarders for over three decades, thank you.
Old 08-31-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, they vastly overestimated demand on that one. They thought the movie would be a hit, and they were wrong.

The Uncanny X-Force Omnibus (a well regarded run of a book, pretty much written for the Omnibus format), for example, went out of print and out of stock everywhere in less than six months.
Old 08-31-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

where is this?
Old 09-04-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
where is this?
The John Carter Omnibus? Here. And they still have copies left.
Old 09-06-14, 05:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Got my Marvel Now Omnibus in the mail yesterday, the John Carter one should arrive next.
Old 09-07-14, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In addition to Marvel Now:

Old 09-08-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts

This just arrived in the mail today. I was able to get it on ebay for about $115. Obviously this would be a rip off if it were still print, but it's not, so I'm pretty happy with the price. I've been tracking ebay for a couple of months now and it's tough to find one for below cover price, which in this case is $125. I'm pretty excited to dig into the book. I've only read a handful of issues before.

I am, however, a bit disappointed with the recoloring of the artwork. I don't know how I missed the fact that this had an extensive modern recoloring, but I did. I guess Marvel spent a lot of time and money on it, and in a vacuum it looks great, but it is not of its time at all. I'm familiar with all of the arguments for this sort of revision, but put me in the camp that would prefer the coloring to at least stay true to the intent of the originals, if not mimic it exactly. These pages are DRASTICALLY different from the originals. Oh well. If I decide I want to flip the book, I should be able to easily get my money back.
Old 09-08-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312

This just arrived in the mail today. I was able to get it on ebay for about $115. Obviously this would be a rip off if it were still print, but it's not, so I'm pretty happy with the price. I've been tracking ebay for a couple of months now and it's tough to find one for below cover price, which in this case is $125. I'm pretty excited to dig into the book. I've only read a handful of issues before.

I am, however, a bit disappointed with the recoloring of the artwork. I don't know how I missed the fact that this had an extensive modern recoloring, but I did. I guess Marvel spent a lot of time and money on it, and in a vacuum it looks great, but it is not of its time at all. I'm familiar with all of the arguments for this sort of revision, but put me in the camp that would prefer the coloring to at least stay true to the intent of the originals, if not mimic it exactly. These pages are DRASTICALLY different from the originals. Oh well. If I decide I want to flip the book, I should be able to easily get my money back.
It's one of the most essential omnibuses on the market. Trust me, you'll like the new coloring after a while.
Old 09-08-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312

I read this run way back when it was first published in floppies, and I fucking love the new coloring in the Omnibus. It stays true to the original coloring, but gives everything a better sense of depth and scope. Even some really hard-lined old-school "anti-revisionist" comic fans are cool with the recoloring.

Anyways, it was recolored mostly due to the higher quality Omnibus paper, which doesn't allow for bleeding. The original coloring would've looked like shit on the new paper (see second panel below).

[size]
Spoiler:
Old 09-08-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I read this run way back when it was first published in floppies, and I fucking love the new coloring in the Omnibus. It stays true to the original coloring, but gives everything a better sense of depth and scope. Even some really hard-lined old-school "anti-revisionist" comic fans are cool with the recoloring.

Anyways, it was recolored mostly due to the higher quality Omnibus paper, which doesn't allow for bleeding. The original coloring would've looked like shit on the new paper (see second panel below).
These comparisons would suggest the new coloring is drastically different than the old (at least in some instances):

Spoiler:

I'm well aware of the limitations of the original printing processes. I actually work in the printing industry. However, it is possible to redo the colors with modern technology and still maintain the original, flatter look. Marvel does it all the time. See the recent Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol.2 for an example of stellar remastering. Again, in a vacuum the new colors are pretty breathtaking, but my preference is always for the original.
Old 09-09-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Mmw Famous Firsts 75Th Anniv Slipcase Set
Old 09-10-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My John Carter: Warlord of Mars Omnibus, ordered from steampunkcomicshop (link) showed up the other day, and I can now vouch for the seller if anyone is still on the fence about it. The book is so heavy that the shipping label showed a cost of over $6, but the shop is including that in the $21.95 price. Mine showed up in perfect condition (shrinkwrapped) and packaged very well with crumpled paper and styrofoam packing peanuts.

I wish there was a bit more in the way of extras; an introduction contextualizing the series would have been especially nice. But I can't really complain at all for the price. It's going to take me forever to get through this. And thank friggin' god, the book has sewn binding; I had never bought a Marvel Omnibus before and was worried that they would skimp on that and use glued binding to save on manufacturing costs. It lays flat nicely and there's no gutter loss.
Old 09-11-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jory
And thank friggin' god, the book has sewn binding; I had never bought a Marvel Omnibus before and was worried that they would skimp on that and use glued binding to save on manufacturing costs. It lays flat nicely and there's no gutter loss.
The first couple of Marvel Omnibi had glued bindings, but everything in the last few years has been sewn. Most of the ones with glued bindings have been reissued with sewn bindings as well. Marvel really does do it right with these oversized books. DC lags way behind (although they seem to be catching up a little).
Old 09-12-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Just bought a truckload of Marvel HC/TPBs for $5 each at Baltimore Comic Con.

It's my first time to see the Marvel Now Premiere hardcovers. They now have a consistent trade dress of red/white. But holy cow, $25 cover price for an ultra thin hardcover book? Who buys these at cover price? Each book is normally only 5 issues long and is printed in thin paper. I was flabbergasted by the cover price and only bought it since it was $5 (actually $4 each since I bought so many). BTW, these are remainders, each had a black pentel mark on the top or bottom.

Also got the John Carter Omnibus for $24. Didn't know that eBay had it for $2 cheaper, oh well.
Old 09-12-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I used to buy the thin Hardcovers pretty regularly, until they went down to four or five issues a piece and the cost per issue, even with discount, didn't seem worth it.
Old 09-12-14, 03:12 PM
Banned

The only reason to pay cover price for trades is if you have a local comic shop you like to support. Otherwise, it is a far better choice to buy them online at Amazon or instocktrades.com since they give great discounts, especially instocktrades. You can get softcover trades for $10 on instocktrades, which makes paying $4 for a single issue even more ridiculous.
Old 09-13-14, 09:47 PM

Sinned...did your Marvel HCs still have active digital codes, if so you got an especially great deal at $5 a book, even for remaindered copies.
Old 09-15-14, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Mmw Famous Firsts 75Th Anniv Slipcase Set
Replying to my own post to update that this 26lb(!) boxed set arrived today (with packing, it was nearly a 35lb box). I feel bad for my postman, but at least he only had to take it up one staircase. It was really well packed, and I just might take the time to frame (not a custom job, just with a moderately priced frame from Michaels) the Stan Lee signed Alex Ross poster.

I also received a package with the Marvel Oz omnibus and the Image Comics Giant-Sized Kung Fu Bible Stories Treasury Edition comic. It was clearly a happy day at this comic geeks' apartment.

Finally, thank goodness for insanely great discounts from Instocktrades.
Old 09-15-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Sinned...did your Marvel HCs still have active digital codes, if so you got an especially great deal at $5 a book, even for remaindered copies.
Yeah, they still had the codes. Maybe I should eBay them & get a dollar or so back.

Marvel's latest solicitations in Previews has Captain America # 22-25 in premeire hardcover (regular sized) format for $25. That's 4 issues for $25! Crazy! I'm starting to think they are deliberately overpricing their books because they know we can get them at a discount from online stores.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.