Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Manzana
I was just curious if I refuse receipt of my GoHastings package (assuming they don't try hard enough to cancel it before it ships) if I'd lose the 96c x 2 shipping costs. The reason for posting (besides the question) was that it's a new world record on a price drop for me... under 2 hours after I ordered. I was most amazed because I thoroughly searched everywhere (including BB.com) before ordering at GoHastings. BB dropped the price right after I ordered.
You SHOULD lose your shipping cost. This time they didn't make the mistake; you did. So eat it like an honest customer and stop trying to rip off moderately acceptable businesses, especially when they haven't done anything wrong (at that time).
Old 05-27-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
You SHOULD lose your shipping cost. This time they didn't make the mistake; you did. So eat it like an honest customer and stop trying to rip off moderately acceptable businesses, especially when they haven't done anything wrong (at that time).
Pretty harsh saying I'm trying to rip them off. They did nothing wrong and I did? All I wanted to do is cancel an order TWO HOURS AFTER I PLACED IT. Pretty serious crime. I wonder if in your opinion that's deserving of retroactive execution and an instant sentence to burn in hell forever... probably yes if it's me. I just learned their online system does not allow canceling an order which I didn't know when I placed it, and I can't even view my order status due to an error on their web page. Unlike other sites like Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, or even Buy which let you cancel right away online before it has shipped, the fact that Gohastings doesn't allow me to cancel and is closed today is 100% MY FAULT and 0% their fault.They are innocent and I deserve to pay all shipping costs and be punished. How dare I ask what would happen if I refused shipment if they chose to take their sweet time ignoring my email and ship it out anyway. I'm clearly devious and evil for that. Thankfully there are angels like you to point out, criticize, and hope for punishment of evil people such as I. Those are my opinions.
Old 05-27-12, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Holy crap, but just saw that their is a sale on digibooks and STEELBOOKS! For $14.99 right now. There are 20 STEELBOOKS that are being released this tuesday.

They are:
All 3 Lord of the Rings
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
V For Vendetta
The Last Samura
Book Of Eli
Inception
Hangover
Hangover Part 2
Sherlock Holmes
Clash Of The Titans
Sucker Punch
Gran Torino
Matrix
Green Lantern
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Already on the shelf in Puyallup WA
Old 05-27-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I absolutely loved Sucker Punch. Well worth the $5...it's got style to spare. Great action, great directing and editing, solid sound, and sweet visuals. You will either love or hate the concept and plot, as those are the film's weakest points. I think people are overly hard on it, and most of them don't even understand it to begin with.
I really hope I ordered the Extended Cut version. Wasn't thinking about this when I ordered it.
Old 05-27-12, 03:15 PM

They are innocent and I deserve to pay all shipping costs and be punished.

well, umm... you ordered it, so yes, you deserve to pay shipping costs. No one twisted your arm and it's not THEIR fault there was a price drop. It sucks, but get over it.
Old 05-27-12, 03:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Pretty harsh saying I'm trying to rip them off. They did nothing wrong and I did? All I wanted to do is cancel an order TWO HOURS AFTER I PLACED IT. Pretty serious crime. I wonder if in your opinion that's deserving of retroactive execution and an instant sentence to burn in hell forever... probably yes if it's me. I just learned their online system does not allow canceling an order which I didn't know when I placed it, and I can't even view my order status due to an error on their web page. Unlike other sites like Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, or even Buy which let you cancel right away online before it has shipped, the fact that Gohastings doesn't allow me to cancel and is closed today is 100% MY FAULT and 0% their fault.They are innocent and I deserve to pay all shipping costs and be punished. How dare I ask what would happen if I refused shipment if they chose to take their sweet time ignoring my email and ship it out anyway. I'm clearly devious and evil for that. Thankfully there are angels like you to point out, criticize, and hope for punishment of evil people such as I. Those are my opinions.
No need for the hyperbole from any of us. It's not that we're evil and deserve punishment, just that we shouldn't assume their policies and take offense if they don't go out of their way for us.

We really have no right to be upset if they "ignore our email" or don't cancel it, unless such options are in their official policies. Heck, shouldn't we be happy if they package and ship out orders immediately?
Old 05-27-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you order from Amazon Marketplace you don't have any option to cancel either other than to request a cancellation which most of the time the seller will ignore and just ship anyway. I have gotten stuck a few times with this, so I can sympathize, but I always have to understand that it's my responsibility to carry through with the order and then accept the burden of at least some of the cost.

Manzana, talk to customer service and tell them about the web page error and that you could not cancel your item for two days because of the weekend and holiday. My guess is that they will tell you to refuse shipment. Because of the circumstances involved you may get a full refund. As much as I malign GoHastings at times, I have very rarely had any trouble with their PHONE customer service. And I really don't believe you should hold them accountable or cast them in a bad light for this situation. Not every company can be Amazon with 24/7 customer service. We all have buyer's remorse at times, but it's important to remember that you have to accept the responsibility of your actions. I understand your situation, but all you can do is calmly explain it to customer service and make your case. If it doesn't go your way, accept it and then decide your future dealings with the company.
Old 05-27-12, 05:23 PM

Thanks, ProfessorEcho, for a reasonable post. I may be jumping the gun (as I sometimes do) assuming GoHastings won't cancel the order before shipping it, but when I discovered they aren't 24/7 and had no way to cancel online I was surprised and got worried I may get stuck with it shipping. That prompted me to post and ask questions about the "what if's" as I'm a worrier. I guess though they have retail stores (nowhere near me) which are probably open on Monday, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to call their online customer service.

Actually GoHastings policy says you can return used merchandise for a full refund within 30 days minus the shipping which would imply my worst case scenario is losing 96c to me and whatever media mail is back to them ($2-$3).

I didn't know that Amazon Marketplace items were not cancellable as I've never tried to cancel one. I just know that you can usually cancel Amazon items before they ship and their customer service is 24/7 on the phone. I thought GoHastings was large enough to be 24/7. I shouldn't have made assumptions.

I think itzaright's post was a little harsh which prompted my reaction. I can deal with the other posts. Yes, I ordered it, and it's my fault for being ignorant that I couldn't cancel if I changed my mind 2 hours later. I think online retailers should provide a mechanism to cancel your orders right away before they go out the door, so they should take a little blame.

Funny how all of the discussion of this GoHastings stuff is in the BB thread when I also posted this in the GoHastings thread, but people post where the action is.
Old 05-27-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

great...Amazon PMed Deadwood as a one time exception....deal of this year so far !!

almost all stores in SoCal are out of 'Life' and 'Planet Earth' (6 disc edition) - however the older 5 disc edition is 'on sale' for $71.99. go figure !! Also, the steelbooks are out in many SoCal stores already, just dunno what the appeal of it is at a premium price.

and can we spend more time here on posting deals and findings as opposed to commenting on one person's shady business practices - there's no need to validate or disapprove of someone's dealings, bad karma always pays for itself. so let's keep this to topic
Old 05-27-12, 07:08 PM

Bummed that my local store was out of the special edition of Planet Earth. Sigh...
Old 05-27-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ppawuk
Bummed that my local store was out of the special edition of Planet Earth. Sigh...
Yeah, I missed out too. Sold out online and not in any local stores. I've been waiting a long time. I can wait for another sale.

I was able to cancel my Amazon Deadwood order and place an in store pickup order at Best Buy.
Old 05-28-12, 07:58 AM

Quick update on GoHastings... I got 2 shipping emails on Sunday for my Sunday morning order even though according to their web site they are closed on the weekend and the post office isn't even open until Tuesday. It makes canceling the order a moot point. I just need to find out how they want me to return the 1 package since they are shipping them separately and I don't even need to open it (if I can tell which is which).

I'm amazed that people consider my wanting to cancel an order 2 hours after it was placed or that I'm considering refusing receipt of the 1 package as something that is unethical, immoral, and deceptive. If it is, then why does the post office allow it and it's legal? I just learned (as in today) that GoHastings picks a B&M store to pack up & ship each item and since the stores are open on the weekends, it's unlikely to be able to cancel an order placed over the weekend before it ships on the next business day. That's a useful piece of info, and if I ever order again I'll try to avoid weekends or just keep it to items so cheap that BB can't surprise me with a much better deal a couple hours later. I would've been bummed about The Sopranos complete DVD set for $60 at BB while I was offline, except (1) I've never seen even a minute of any episode and (2) I'm trying to avoid buying DVDs now. However, I have heard good things about the series. BB likes to do these 2-hour long super unadvertised deals. SD is the only way I hear about them, but I can't live online all day for those rare deals.
Originally Posted by flix1
Yeah, I missed out too. Sold out online and not in any local stores. I've been waiting a long time. I can wait for another sale.
You could order a used one for about $20 from GoHastings.com like I unfortunately did. Bwuhahahaha (maniacal laughter). ;-) Too bad I can't redirect mine to you, but I'll just end up returning it to GoHastings and keeping the new BB one... unless I find that FYE or Amazon offers at least $20 in trade for a used one. Knowing both places, Planet Earth SE BD is probably worth about $5 trade-in. Haven't checked yet.

Last edited by Manzana; 05-28-12 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

So which version of Sucker Punch is in the SteelBook?
Old 05-29-12, 06:51 AM

Picked up a bunch of the steelbooks Monday. They look great!
Old 05-29-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
So which version of Sucker Punch is in the SteelBook?
Not entirely sure if it's the Extended Cut, but IT IS only a 1-Discer. Check here for more info. It's a long thread.
Old 05-29-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've reported the Deadwood price to Amazon a bunch of times this morning. Hopefully they will match it. Otherwise perhaps I'll call like Larkin, but I'm more laid back than he is. Never watched the show, so this will be a blind buy for me...
Old 05-29-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We Need to Talk About Kevin blu is priced at 9.99 in the store.
Old 05-29-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
We Need to Talk About Kevin blu is priced at 9.99 in the store.
cardboard case or normal blu-ray case?
Old 05-29-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Not entirely sure if it's the Extended Cut, but IT IS only a 1-Discer. Check here for more info. It's a long thread.
You are correct. It's just a single disc with the Theatrical Cut. I was hoping for this:

Coup Interdit

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
....It's a long thread.
56 pages in 6 days....ya think?! These people are obsessed with SteelBooks!

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 05-29-12 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
cardboard case or normal blu-ray case?
Normal case.
Old 05-29-12, 10:39 PM

F.Y.I., all the steelbooks at Best Buy will be $9.99 in next weeks ad starting June 6th.
Old 05-30-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jones
F.Y.I., all the steelbooks at Best Buy will be $9.99 in next weeks ad starting June 6th.
Thanks for the info. I'll pick up Goodfellas since that is the only one from the list that I don't have and want.
Old 05-30-12, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jones
If there are any left. There was confusion around street date, with many stores putting them out early. Add to this, the limited quantity allotted to each store, and you may not have every title available at every store come 6/6.
Old 05-30-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Got what appeared to be the last copy of Life at my local store yesterday. I noticed the sale tag said it was good until 6/30, so that gives time for restocks for those who missed it. Has anyone found the Planet Earth SE in store? Mine didn't even have a tag for it, only for the regular one at like $72.
Old 05-30-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lee Ritenour and Friends: Overtime is on Pre-Order for $6.99.
link

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.