Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lou Reed & Metallica present Lulu [part 2]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Part 1

Lulu:

1. "Brandenburg Gate" (4:19)
2. "The View" (5:17)
3. "Pumping Blood" (7:24)
4. "Mistress Dread" (6:52)
5. "Iced Honey" (4:36)
6. "Cheat On Me" (11:26)
7. "Frustration" (8:33)
8. "Little Dog" (8:01)
9. "Dragon" (11:08)
10. "Junior Dad" (19:28)

Safe to say, reviews have been overwhelmingly negative. Anyone pick this up and enjoy it on subsequent listens?
Old 11-13-11, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lou Reed & Metallica present Lulu [part 2]

Can't get into it.
You know the spoken word part of Enter Sandman, that's the way they should've gone if they have had wanted this to succeed. This album is an artistic statement, only those that are open to that sort of thing might appreciate it. I just don't feel the need to even want to give it a try with so much other good music out there.
That said, it's not a bad album, just not for the general public.
Old 11-13-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't even bother to illegally download it.

Heard it streaming on their website until my wife screamed "make it stop!!!"

Awful pretentious crap. I like the music, but Reed ruins it.
Old 11-13-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah as much as I agree this album is an abortion, I can't fault them for trying something different. They just should have tried harder.

Oh and anyone threatening Lou is a fucking idiot at best.
Old 11-13-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought it was okay, Iced Honey and Frustration are pretty good songs. I really do not see this getting into any kind of rotation play. Not a bad idea trying it, but it is too bad this is the follow up to Death Magnetic.
Old 11-13-11, 11:17 AM

Still listening to it and still love it. This along with the new Tom Waits are my favorite albums of the year. I am a huge Lou Reed fan and this is another great album in his long line of great albums. As far as Metallica I lost interest after Justice. Luckily Hetfield only sings on the choruses. They are a great backing band for the album though.
Old 11-13-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I gave it a college try. I was bored pantsless by the middle of the second song. Sort of the same way I responded to St. Anger. Interesting experiment, but a failure.
Old 11-13-11, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please tell me this album tanked sales wise! Anyone know the numbers for the first week?
Old 11-13-11, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Please tell me this album tanked sales wise! Anyone know the numbers for the first week?
METALLICA's collaborative album with Lou Reed, titled "Lulu", sold 13,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 36 on The Billboard 200 chart. By contrast, METALLICA's last studio effort, 2008's "Death Magnetic", sold 490,000 copies in just a three-day sales window after it came out on a Friday, with sales tracked through the following Sunday.

Even METALLICA's controversial 2003 set, "St. Anger", moved 418,000 copies in its initial week of release, which was also shortened to four days.

METALLICA's "Re-Load" album sold 435,000 units during its first week in 1997, while 1996's "Load" opened at 680,000. 1991's self-titled "black album" debuted with 598,000 and has since gone on to sell more than 15.7 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Old 11-13-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Like I said in the old thread, I know record sales in general are going down a cliff, but it seems Metallica fans really did vote with their dollars this time, instead of just bitching about it on the Internet. 13k for anything attached to Metallica has to really hurt.
Old 11-13-11, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Anyone know what that last few Lou Reed albums opening sales have looked like?

This seems more geared towards fans of Lou Reed than general Metallica fans. I'm curious how that compares.
Old 11-13-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Not a Lou Reed fan, but I'm loving the album. DRAGON is fucking awesome with CHEAT ON ME & THE VIEW being my other favorites. LITTLE DOG is the only track I didn't really care for and they could have edited down some minutes of the end of JUNIOR DAD and fit it on 1 disc.
Old 11-14-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BearFan
I thought it was okay, Iced Honey and Frustration are pretty good songs. I really do not see this getting into any kind of rotation play. Not a bad idea trying it, but it is too bad this is the follow up to Death Magnetic.
??? It's NOT the followup to Death Magnetic. It's a side project collaboration.
Old 11-14-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
??? It's NOT the followup to Death Magnetic. It's a side project collaboration.
I don't see this as a followup, but you have to figure them spending time on Lulu has delayed the next proper Metallica record by a year at least, and worse, could influence it's direction.
Old 11-14-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Like I said in the old thread, I know record sales in general are going down a cliff, but it seems Metallica fans really did vote with their dollars this time, instead of just bitching about it on the Internet. 13k for anything attached to Metallica has to really hurt.
those numbers are so bad that the heavier and more underground metal albums sell more then 13k in their first week
Old 11-15-11, 07:26 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Chuck Klosterman had a great column in Grantland about this album, basically arguing that this is why hegemonic, all-powerful record companies weren't totally bad, because they would have put a stop to something this ill-conceived before it got past the idea stage.
Old 11-15-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't see this as a followup, but you have to figure them spending time on Lulu has delayed the next proper Metallica record by a year at least, and worse, could influence it's direction.
I don't think they spent more than 80 minutes writing and recording Lulu. So IF it delayed the followup to Death Magnetic, it didn't delay it more than half a day.
Old 11-15-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Chuck Klosterman had a great column in Grantland about this album, basically arguing that this is why hegemonic, all-powerful record companies weren't totally bad, because they would have put a stop to something this ill-conceived before it got past the idea stage.
I was just going to post that...

Injustice For All: The Lou Reed/Metallica Album
Lulu is bold, uncompromising, and totally unlistenable
By Chuck Klosterman

The universe is predisposed to hate this new Lou Reed/Metallica album, Lulu, and I totally understand why. It's not really designed for people who like music. It sounds like what it is: an elderly misanthrope reciting paradoxical aphorisms over a collection of repetitive, adrenalized sludge licks. Anyone who tries to suggest it's surprising in any way needs to reexamine his or her propensity for being surprised. I'm sure there will be a sector of Metallica's core audience that feels "betrayed," mostly because Metallica fans enjoy the sensation of betrayal.1 I suppose a handful of Lou Reed obsessives will consider this record hilarious as long as they don't have to listen to it, and I'm certain some contrarian rock critic will become Internet Famous for insisting it's more subversive than Transformer and a musical reaction to both Occupy Wall Street and the subpar drum production on St. Anger. It will be legally purchased by the 13,404 Metallica completists who saw Some Kind of Monster on opening weekend, unless the album is exclusively sold at Walmart, in which case it will enter the Billboard charts at no. 2. Rolling Stone will give it 2½ stars and then pretend it never happened; meanwhile, people who thought The "Priest" They Called Him was a brilliant idea will hold a vague, misplaced grudge against Dave Mustaine while sleepwalking to the methadone clinic.

It is not a successful record.

Finish reading the article at Grantland
Old 11-15-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

^ Posted in the original thread...
Old 11-15-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You came into this thread acting like a trolling douche without anything to contribute at all save for snarking on those who are fans of this particular genre.

Point was made. It blew over your head. Move on.
Nothing to contribute? I'm a Lou Reed fan disparaging Metallica. How is that different from the majority of posters who are Metallica fans disparaging Lou Reed? One must bow to the altar of Metallica? This is Lou's album not Metallica's, which is quite obvious from the posters in the thread.

I'd say people killing Lou Reed here are being trolling asses. Apparently, you hold Metallica above Lou. Not everyone has your taste.
Old 11-15-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
That's ludicrous. Don't listen to it if you don't want it. Hell, most if not all of Lou's girlfriend Laurie Anderson's albums would have been released either then or any experimental, avant garde music for that matter.

There's been plenty of music many deemed "unlistenable" to come out on major labels.
Old 11-15-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
Nothing to contribute? I'm a Lou Reed fan disparaging Metallica. How is that different from the majority of posters who are Metallica fans disparaging Lou Reed? One must bow to the altar of Metallica? This is Lou's album not Metallica's, which is quite obvious from the posters in the thread.

I'd say people killing Lou Reed here are being trolling asses. Apparently, you hold Metallica above Lou. Not everyone has your taste.
The difference is that Lou fans attack Metallica fans for their opinion, while Metallica fans just attack Reed and Metallica.
Old 11-15-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

listened to the previews on itunes and had to fast forward them

interesting experiment, but metallica with SFSO was a lot better
Old 11-15-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why are you dragging old quotes from a thread that got closed? Drop it.
Old 11-15-11, 01:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

So you're posting a follow-up to something from a closed thread when I specifically stated that this thread was for adults... You must really hate it here.

See you in December.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.