Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Just FYI, I just recently received a DD order and a flyer was inserted in it stating that the 25% off sale would be starting the 22nd and run through something like December 16. I'm a little fuzzy on the end date since I threw the flyer away. It also mentioned the good old HOTSTUFF code, so I presume all the other codes will work as well.
Old 11-19-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: DD 25% off sale starts Monday

The sale hasn't even started yet and I haven't even bought anything yet, but DD already wrote and told me no matter what I might want, it's all on backorder.
Old 11-19-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha.
Old 11-19-10, 06:50 PM

with DD never shipping stuff anymore, is there any point to a 25% off sale?
Old 11-19-10, 06:56 PM

Normally I wouldn't be this brash but, DD can "F" off.
Old 11-19-10, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
The sale hasn't even started yet and I haven't even bought anything yet, but DD already wrote and told me no matter what I might want, it's all on backorder.
Originally Posted by Calmuser

Exactly.
Old 11-19-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they ship my 2 open orders from a few months ago I might actually consider making another purchase.
Old 11-19-10, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I can understand the flack DD gets with regards to backorders. They can be quite slow to having them cancelled later on without even an email.

However, I haven't been having any issue with standard in-stock order. I've made three orders this month alone from DD and all three were received within a week of shipping after just a few days in processing. Now popular items during sales can go on backorder quickly. And it could just be I don't order the more popular items.
Old 11-19-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DD can suck it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting on a legit B1G1 from August.
Great sale for anyone who wants to not spend money.
Old 11-19-10, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see if all items are on sale (like the old days) or just select items. Maybe the new owner will try revisiting the old sales approach.
Old 11-19-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
It will be interesting to see if all items are on sale (like the old days) or just select items. Maybe the new owner will try revisiting the old sales approach.
Yeah, I'm curious about this too. If everything's 25% off across the board, I might place a small order or two.
Old 11-19-10, 07:32 PM

I always tend to find something during these sales. It's certainly nothing like the old bonanza days when I was placing multiple orders and spending hundreds of dollars, but there's always a couple of items to snag off the wishlist.
Old 11-19-10, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bsmith
Yep, that's the $64,000.00 question. If it's a true 25% off sale, like they used to run (without upping all the dvd prices the day before) then they'll get some more of my money. If not, I really doubt I'll find anything I want.
Old 11-19-10, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by GaryO
Yep, that's the $64,000.00 question. If it's a true 25% off sale, like they used to run (without upping all the dvd prices the day before) then they'll get some more of my money. If not, I really doubt I'll find anything I want.
Yeah, it's not the sale itself that's broken, but rather the initial sell prices. Back in the day, everything was normally a straight 30% off of MSRP and then you threw the 25% on top for darn near a clear 50% off. These days, getting a full 30% as a straight price is rare so the sale prices are nothing to shout about.
Old 11-19-10, 07:53 PM

If I order from them, will I get my product or a default notice from their attorney?
Old 11-19-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Based on stuff I've dropped in my cart the past few weeks, more and more titles are being listed as "Ships directly from manufacturer" so I'd think it'll be "in stock" since DD is simply doing a sell-through.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Yeah, I'm curious about this too. If everything's 25% off across the board, I might place a small order or two.
Same here. I have a few titles I'll pick up *if* they are included, but I'll be less than $50 overall... I used to budget a couple of hundred $$ for these sales but they've changed the rules so much (40% off MSRP), or excluded titles I was waiting on the sale to get, that I just don't get too worked up anymore. Just the fact that I can typically get the same prices from amazon if I time it right speaks volumes. When I first started with their sales the *everyday* price was *always* the lowest around. Not so much anymore, eh?
Old 11-19-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to check the stuff I have on backorder, see what the new price is and see if they say it's in stock. If the price is comparable or better, maybe I'll re-order and call to cancel the old orders.

Speaking of old orders, can anyone explain this to me? Three years ago on Buy.Com I bought the DVD of THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE, which was being offered through Buy.Com from DEEP DISCOUNT. Well, it was never sent and I received notice that it was no longer available and I was not charged for it. So today I get SIX, count 'em!, SIX e mails from Buy.Com saying that DEEP DISCOUNT is crediting me back the price of THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE from my order three years ago for which I was never charged! ????????
Old 11-19-10, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Based on stuff I've dropped in my cart the past few weeks, more and more titles are being listed as "Ships directly from manufacturer" so I'd think it'll be "in stock" since DD is simply doing a sell-through.
That doesn't mean it will ship, I've orded a few items that were on sale within the past month with that 'Ships directly from manufacturer' and still nothing has been shipped.

Last edited by Calmuser; 11-19-10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^That's good to know. I'd hoped it would mean stuff would actually ship within a reasonable time frame. In that case I may limit myself to stuff that is actually listed as being in stock... not that it'll mean much either...
Old 11-19-10, 09:02 PM

That doesn't mean it will ship, I've orded a few items that were on sale within the past month with that 'Ships directly from manufacturer' and still nothing has been shipped.
Conversely, I just ordered one of those Roger Corman discs that shipped directly from manufacturer, presumably Shout, and I got it in less than a week. It's just hard to tell with this stuff.
Old 11-19-10, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Conversely, I just ordered one of those Roger Corman discs that shipped directly from manufacturer, presumably Shout, and I got it in less than a week. It's just hard to tell with this stuff.
Exactly. I've only made 3-4 orders with them, but never have had a problem-everything shows up within 2 weeks after the shipping confirmation (which usually only takes 48 hours to process) like promised. I've ordered many things that said "shipped directly from manufacturer" and they end up coming with the other in-stock items I've ordered. Out of Stock items seem to come back into stock very quickly as well.

However, I haven't placed an order with them in 2010 yet.
Old 11-19-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I lot of the exploitation and B movies that I really want, DDD doesn't carry...so I doubt I will do much buying.
Old 11-19-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like I'm really buying things.
Old 11-19-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Just ordered Not Of This Earth Monday. Came today. Didn't see any sale flyers, but they do have the new, non-Infinity invoices/packing slips. Also, they used the plastic bag, but not the plastic tray. The bag was just shrinkwrapped snug on the DVD. Not too crazy about that.

I still have a few things left I haven't been able to get on sale at Amazon or elsewhere so I'll be happy to see another sale just to mop up.
Old 11-20-10, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

It's a sad comment on the decline of DD that this sale, which used to be so hotly anticipated that the mods had to shut down numerous threads asking when it would start, is now seen as a laughable ripoff.

Five or six years ago, I would spend hundreds of bucks clearing off my wishlist-now I have no interest in buying from them because their customer service really does su-diddily-uck. With the B&N Criterion sales, my last incentive to shop this sale has evaporated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.