Reload this Page >

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Old 11-20-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Anyone else get a feeling that DD won't even be around next November to do this again?

I can't get past the sheer volume of backorders out there, for very common titles. I also had 2 seperate titles that I preordered from them not ship... I waited 6 weeks, then gave up and ordered from Amazon for $2 more. Had them both in-hand two days later.

DD has to be on VERY rocky ground financially if they can't even get stock on items like this. Methinks some distributors aren't getting paid promptly.
Old 11-20-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a grand total of two Blu-rays that I'll buy from DD on Monday if they don't jack up the prices. Between B & N's Criterion sales and seemingly every other title eventually on sale for $9.99 on Amazon, why bother?
Old 11-20-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True sale would be 25% off the lowest prices on every item in this store (and NOT OFF MSRP) and then they might get a purchase or two from me but if not, so long DD and I will get the titles I need somewhere else.
Old 11-20-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
It will be interesting to see if all items are on sale (like the old days) or just select items. Maybe the new owner will try revisiting the old sales approach.
They just had a 25% sale on "select" items a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't think they would do the same thing again so soon.
Old 11-20-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

This should be called the "Order Now and Wait Forever" sale.
Old 11-20-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
I can understand the flack DD gets with regards to backorders. They can be quite slow to having them cancelled later on without even an email.

However, I haven't been having any issue with standard in-stock order. I've made three orders this month alone from DD and all three were received within a week of shipping after just a few days in processing. Now popular items during sales can go on backorder quickly. And it could just be I don't order the more popular items.
All of my orders were in-stock at the time of the order but somehow made it to backorder status by the time DD was ready to actually earn some of my money. I think the South Park kids are running this business (into the ground).
Old 11-20-10, 10:06 PM
Zbu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Conversely, I just ordered one of those Roger Corman discs that shipped directly from manufacturer, presumably Shout, and I got it in less than a week. It's just hard to tell with this stuff.
That's a bright side. I haven't ordered anything from DeepDiscount ever since my Amazing Stories S1 set hasn't shipped in MONTHS and I thought I was going to be disappointed when I preordered Shout's Dark Skies for $17.46. If it's direct, then at least I might get a deal!

Then again, let's see DDD mess this up.
Old 11-20-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Anyone else get a feeling that DD won't even be around next November to do this again?.
I'm sure this was posted around here somewhere but DeepDiscount's parent company was recently sold. Here's hoping the new owner can turn things around. Here's more info.
Old 11-20-10, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Enoki
DD now charges tax to Californians. So the prices aren't as quite as good any more for us.
No way! Well, add that to my 20 other reasons not to order from them again.
Old 11-20-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RequiemX
No way! Well, add that to my 20 other reasons not to order from them again.
I assume because they were bought by a company with headquarters in CA.
Old 11-21-10, 01:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Enoki
DD now charges tax to Californians. So the prices aren't as quite as good any more for us.
That raises an interesting question: if and when they actually do ship the titles that are on backorder for a lot of us (titles that were ordered months ago) does that mean they'll charge tax on those when they ship?
Old 11-21-10, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
They just had a 25% sale on "select" items a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't think they would do the same thing again so soon.
Ummm...no they didn't.
Old 11-21-10, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

For better or worse- something we won't know for a little while yet- DD is no longer the same company.
Infinity isn't running the show anymore, and I think if someone had problems with the way they did business in the past, Infinity is where they should have been focusing the blame.
I never had anywhere near the problems with DD as many of you have seemed to. I've still got things from the BOGO in September I'm waiting for but do I care? If I had needed these titles so badly, I wouldn't have waited for an unforeseen BOGO sale to buy them. I locked in a great price and when they come, they come. If they never come, I'll shrug and put the money towards something else on my never ending 'to buy list'. No big deal either way.

If this new sale is yet another variation of 25% off selected items and the selection is just as bad as the last sale, or if the prices get raised so that all the deals fall outside of 40% off MSRP (which is my personal sweet spot), then I'll just hope Amazon has some deal on what I want in the next 6 weeks- which is more than likely anyway.
Old 11-21-10, 06:19 AM

I'll be in for a few Warner Archive discs, assuming the 25% is off the $16.xx they are charging now.
Old 11-21-10, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Operator13
I'll be in for a few Warner Archive discs, assuming the 25% is off the $16.xx they are charging now.
Same here. I'll be picking up "Humphrey Bogart: The Essential Collection", providing it's 25% off the current price of $70.xx
Old 11-21-10, 08:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Deep Discount has been slowly and surely raising prices on their DVDs over the last few months, I don't understand how they can in good conscience retain the name Deep Discount, better prices can often be found elsewhere, and a 25% Off sale on their inflated prices really isn't all that wonderful. Combine that with their 'Selected titles' (which I'll browse for an hour and not find anything worth waiting for) and their penchance for changing 'In stock & ready to ship' into 'Backordered' as soon as you press the Submit Order button, and it turns into something I can very easily walk away from.

The part of me that's a glutton for punishment wonders if anything has changed for this sale, but the wiser side of me wants to avoid the waste of my time spent finding nothing worth justifying an order. -kd5-
Old 11-21-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Operator13
I believe these are currently "on sale" and will go up. If I remember correctly the "regular" price is ~$20 each. But I'm unable to find any banner/link on the site which supports this. If they *are* included I'll be picking up one or two...

On the other hand I *do* expect the "sale" prices on those TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection titles to go back up to a ~$21 price. If not, and they are still $12.29 and included in the 25% off, I'll be a bit upset as I ordered one right after they were removed from the recent 20% off thinking they'll not be that good a price for quite a while. It *finally* shipped last week.
Old 11-21-10, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
For better or worse- something we won't know for a little while yet- DD is no longer the same company.
Infinity isn't running the show anymore, and I think if someone had problems with the way they did business in the past, Infinity is where they should have been focusing the blame.
I never had anywhere near the problems with DD as many of you have seemed to. I've still got things from the BOGO in September I'm waiting for but do I care? If I had needed these titles so badly, I wouldn't have waited for an unforeseen BOGO sale to buy them. I locked in a great price and when they come, they come. If they never come, I'll shrug and put the money towards something else on my never ending 'to buy list'. No big deal either way.

If this new sale is yet another variation of 25% off selected items and the selection is just as bad as the last sale, or if the prices get raised so that all the deals fall outside of 40% off MSRP (which is my personal sweet spot), then I'll just hope Amazon has some deal on what I want in the next 6 weeks- which is more than likely anyway.
Part of the reason I don't order as much from DD as in the past is the general change in the way the studios release DVDs. Four or five years ago, there would be literaly dozens of catalogue titles released between one DD sale and the next, so I could pick up a lot of things I wanted. Now, those releases (other than DVD-R like Warner Archive) are few and far between, so there's relatively little new catalogue product I want. I don't buy current titles from DD or anyone; I wait a few months until the price goes down and often get them used at Blockbuster.

I've never had a shipping problem with them... in fact the only title I'm waiting on right now is an Amazon title. Their standard prices in general do seem a bit higher than before, but still lower than Amazon's non-sale prices on most items. To make up for that, the sale is now 25% off instead of 20% off as it was for years, making it somewhat of a tradeoff.

As I've said before, DD hasn't really changed. The overall pricing strategy has changed for all online retailers. Now, they engage in periodic deep discounting of selected items; so if you are patient, well informed, and reasonably lucky, you can usually get what you want at a price you want eventually.

I take advantage of their Xmas sale to order current items as gifts (I'm not going to get the grandchildren a used Blockbuster DVD or wait till March to send them a present) or for the few things that work for me. But I won't badmouth them, and contrary to what some people think, they seem to me to be shoring up their business model, not floundering. They are now distributing Warner Archive titles for Warners, and I doubt Warner would have picked a company that was about to fold. And keep in mind that every company that folds means there is that much less downward pricing pressure on the remaining companies, so prices overall tend to rise.

The internet is filled with companies that went broke because they charged too little for their merchandise (a mistake Amazon never made). If DD has found sustainable price points, that's to their advantage.
Old 11-21-10, 11:04 AM

There's no question that in the last couple of years--when almost everyone has been feeling the sting of the Great Recession--that real DVD deals have become far less common. That applies to almost every big merchant, from DD to Amazon to Best Buy to Target to Wallymart. Is it because of the merchants, the studios or both? Who knows? I just know that this year I've spent half of what I spent last year on new DVDs. And last year was half of the year before.

In the heyday of two years ago and earlier, DD consistently had the best deals IMO. But now with new ownership we won't know if it live up to the new reality, let alone the old. I think we all eagerly await reports from folks who order during the upcoming 25% off sale. If there are tons of backorders and delayed deliveries and that nonsense, we'll know which way the wind is blowing.
Old 11-21-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
DD can suck it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting on a legit B1G1 from August.
+1

I'm going on THREE MONTHS for my order of TWO BDs, so the idea of bothering with DD ever again is a non-starter. If I hadn't already sold the DVD copies of the titles, I would've canceled the order months ago. There is no way around the sad reality that DD is nothing like it used to be. Their prices are generally higher than Amazon, even with "discounts" and the unbelievably bad order fulfillment makes them a dead letter with me.
Old 11-21-10, 01:57 PM

I'm still waiting for an open order from Oct 8th to do anything. Meanwhile when you add the items I'm waiting on to your cart it doesnt say backorder or instock it says it now ships directly from the manufacturer. Becoming Buy.com and drop shipping is just another nail in DD's coffin as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-21-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again, this company is in a state of chaos and hoping these new owners will get their act together and dig this thing form the ground or DD will be dead in the water by the spring of 2011
Old 11-21-10, 04:40 PM

My DD wishlist includes a lot of those newly released MOD Sony Columbia Classics. DD had them priced at $16 and change, which was the best price I could find. Still, I didn't order any, hoping that Sony might eventually offer a coupon for these titles.

I just noticed that DD has raised their price to $19.65. Still - If I can get 25% off that price I might order a few - but who knows.

Last week I just received a DVD (Bright Lights, Big City) that I had on back order at DD from their BOGO sale from last August. (I would have canceled it but it was free.)
Old 11-21-10, 05:29 PM
Banned

If anyone orders from DD at this point, you are just asking for trouble.
Old 11-21-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried entering the HOTSTUFF code just to see what would happen, and got this message:
The promo code "HOTSTUFF" is not active until November 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM Eastern.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.