Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

French Blu-Ray Disc Issue?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

So I finally got the Import Blu-Ray of "Superbus: Live A' Paris" from Amazon FR today.

Problem is that it loads the "Universal Music Group HD" Logo after that the screen stays at a black screen.

On the back of the artwork it states: "Code Regional: Pal Toutes Zones"

Did I accidentally buy a Region locked Blu-ray

EDIT: It plays in my Dad's Samsung BD-P1500, but not in a Playstation 3. This may be a BD-Live enabled disc, but why would the Samsung handle it but not the PS3? Any reason for this?

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-12-08 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe what is happening here is that the Main Menu is in PAL and your player does not convert PAL to NTSC and your TV cannot handle PAL. Similar is the case with the latest Zatoichi disc from AE. The HD data is region-free but the main menu is in PAL.

Pro-B
Old 12-12-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I believe what is happening here is that the Main Menu is in PAL and your player does not convert PAL to NTSC and your TV cannot handle PAL. Similar is the case with the latest Zatoichi disc from AE. The HD data is region-free but the main menu is in PAL.

Pro-B
Hmm...so the Samsung P1500 is capable of this?

No way to get around this hiccup?

I have a Philips 747 hooked up to my TV for PAL/Non-R1 material, so I don't think that is the issue. It's probably the player. Is the PS3 known to have this problem?
Old 12-12-08, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Is the PS3 known to have this problem?
What problem? Not converting PAL to NTSC? I wouldn't consider that a 'problem'. PAL to NTCS conversion is hardly a standard feature.
Old 12-12-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm guessing the issue here is PAL-to-ATSC, and I think it's certainly worth complaining about, given that the PS3 can clearly handle that -- Hong Kong PS3s are NTSC models (just like the U.S. version) but have no difficulties with PAL video. So what's happened here is that Sony has deliberately disabled that functionality on U.S. PS3s, which is enormously frustrating and definitely criticizable.
Old 12-13-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SPRBD
What problem? Not converting PAL to NTSC? I wouldn't consider that a 'problem'. PAL to NTCS conversion is hardly a standard feature.
Sorry, my wording was completely wrong. I should have said, "Is the PS3 known to have issues with Region Free Blu-Ray Discs (from European countries)?"

Thanks to Dan Average, Tutut and Pro-B for helping out. I'm probably going to hold onto the disc and just order the Special Edition SD-DVD.

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-18-08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 11:30 AM

US and japanese PS3 can't play PAL content, it's not a question of region locking, my japanese console can't play R2 PAL DVD, meaning with the right region (Japan is R2) it cannot play a PAL video.
That's why I need a player that can handle it, such as the Panasonic.
Old 12-16-08, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Average
I'm guessing the issue here is PAL-to-ATSC, and I think it's certainly worth complaining about, given that the PS3 can clearly handle that -- Hong Kong PS3s are NTSC models (just like the U.S. version) but have no difficulties with PAL video. So what's happened here is that Sony has deliberately disabled that functionality on U.S. PS3s, which is enormously frustrating and definitely criticizable.

Not including is very different then deliberately disabling.
Old 12-17-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're right, I should've said "Sony included this functionality with the 1.6 firmware update for HK PS3s but have never seen fit to grant it to North American PS3 owners," which is of course beyond reproach.
Old 12-18-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks to Dan Average, Tutut and Pro-B for helping out.
Old 12-19-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You are welcome.

Pro-B
Old 12-19-08, 02:23 AM

You're right, I should've said "Sony included this functionality with the 1.6 firmware update for HK PS3s but have never seen fit to grant it to North American PS3 owners," which is of course beyond reproach.
As much as I personally despise region coding, I totally understand why the studios feel like they need it. I can't fault Sony a bit for this decision. If you want to piss and moan about it, go right ahead.
Old 12-20-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Um, this isn't about region coding. There's nothing stopping the studios from encoding a PAL BD as Region B or C and thereby making it incompatible any Region A player, including the HK PS3. Failure to support PAL content for region-free discs makes a joke of the standards interoperability that HD provides (ATSC sets can even accept a native PAL signal), and since the PS3 is obviously capable of handling PAL -- the U.S. and HK models are completely identical under the hood -- I feel Sony is particularly on the hook for this.
Old 12-21-08, 03:01 AM

Did some one see LE MOMA? How is transfer? and where is the best price?
Old 12-21-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you mean La Môme? I assume you're asking about the French release, and I've heard no complaints about the transfer -- a poster here called it "stunning" and pro-b had some kind words as well. The extras are in standard-def PAL, so they won't work in all North American players. As for the best price, Amazon.fr has it for 26 euros (a bit cheaper than Alapage or FNAC), but as with all French e-tailers, you will be completely reamed on shipping if you're in the U.S. (They'll deduct VAT, but that doesn't quite make up for it.)
Old 12-22-08, 02:53 AM

Do you mean La Môme? I assume you're asking about the French release, and I've heard no complaints about the transfer -- a poster here called it "stunning" and pro-b had some kind words as well. The extras are in standard-def PAL, so they won't work in all North American players. As for the best price, Amazon.fr has it for 26 euros (a bit cheaper than Alapage or FNAC), but as with all French e-tailers, you will be completely reamed on shipping if you're in the U.S. (They'll deduct VAT, but that doesn't quite make up for it.)
thnx! yes!