International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

French Blu-Ray Disc Issue?

Old 12-12-08, 04:36 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,220
French Blu-Ray Disc Issue?

So I finally got the Import Blu-Ray of "Superbus: Live A' Paris" from Amazon FR today.

Problem is that it loads the "Universal Music Group HD" Logo after that the screen stays at a black screen.

On the back of the artwork it states: "Code Regional: Pal Toutes Zones"

Did I accidentally buy a Region locked Blu-ray

EDIT: It plays in my Dad's Samsung BD-P1500, but not in a Playstation 3. This may be a BD-Live enabled disc, but why would the Samsung handle it but not the PS3? Any reason for this?

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-12-08 at 04:57 PM.
asianxcore is offline  
Old 12-12-08, 05:00 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
I believe what is happening here is that the Main Menu is in PAL and your player does not convert PAL to NTSC and your TV cannot handle PAL. Similar is the case with the latest Zatoichi disc from AE. The HD data is region-free but the main menu is in PAL.

Pro-B
pro-bassoonist is offline  
Old 12-12-08, 05:06 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,220
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I believe what is happening here is that the Main Menu is in PAL and your player does not convert PAL to NTSC and your TV cannot handle PAL. Similar is the case with the latest Zatoichi disc from AE. The HD data is region-free but the main menu is in PAL.

Pro-B
Hmm...so the Samsung P1500 is capable of this?

No way to get around this hiccup?

I have a Philips 747 hooked up to my TV for PAL/Non-R1 material, so I don't think that is the issue. It's probably the player. Is the PS3 known to have this problem?
asianxcore is offline  
Old 12-12-08, 08:44 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Is the PS3 known to have this problem?
What problem? Not converting PAL to NTSC? I wouldn't consider that a 'problem'. PAL to NTCS conversion is hardly a standard feature.
SPRBD is offline  
Old 12-12-08, 11:59 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Compton (Straight Outta)
Posts: 1,130
I'm guessing the issue here is PAL-to-ATSC, and I think it's certainly worth complaining about, given that the PS3 can clearly handle that -- Hong Kong PS3s are NTSC models (just like the U.S. version) but have no difficulties with PAL video. So what's happened here is that Sony has deliberately disabled that functionality on U.S. PS3s, which is enormously frustrating and definitely criticizable.
Dan Average is offline  
Old 12-13-08, 03:29 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,220
Originally Posted by SPRBD View Post
What problem? Not converting PAL to NTSC? I wouldn't consider that a 'problem'. PAL to NTCS conversion is hardly a standard feature.
Sorry, my wording was completely wrong. I should have said, "Is the PS3 known to have issues with Region Free Blu-Ray Discs (from European countries)?"

Thanks to Dan Average, Tutut and Pro-B for helping out. I'm probably going to hold onto the disc and just order the Special Edition SD-DVD.

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-18-08 at 10:57 PM.
asianxcore is offline  
Old 12-14-08, 12:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 620
US and japanese PS3 can't play PAL content, it's not a question of region locking, my japanese console can't play R2 PAL DVD, meaning with the right region (Japan is R2) it cannot play a PAL video.
That's why I need a player that can handle it, such as the Panasonic.
Tutut is offline  
Old 12-16-08, 05:48 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post
I'm guessing the issue here is PAL-to-ATSC, and I think it's certainly worth complaining about, given that the PS3 can clearly handle that -- Hong Kong PS3s are NTSC models (just like the U.S. version) but have no difficulties with PAL video. So what's happened here is that Sony has deliberately disabled that functionality on U.S. PS3s, which is enormously frustrating and definitely criticizable.

Not including is very different then deliberately disabling.
SPRBD is offline  
Old 12-17-08, 02:18 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Compton (Straight Outta)
Posts: 1,130
You're right, I should've said "Sony included this functionality with the 1.6 firmware update for HK PS3s but have never seen fit to grant it to North American PS3 owners," which is of course beyond reproach.
Dan Average is offline  
Old 12-18-08, 10:57 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,220
Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Thanks to Dan Average, Tutut and Pro-B for helping out.
asianxcore is offline  
Old 12-19-08, 01:25 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
You are welcome.

Pro-B
pro-bassoonist is offline  
Old 12-19-08, 03:23 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post
You're right, I should've said "Sony included this functionality with the 1.6 firmware update for HK PS3s but have never seen fit to grant it to North American PS3 owners," which is of course beyond reproach.
As much as I personally despise region coding, I totally understand why the studios feel like they need it. I can't fault Sony a bit for this decision. If you want to piss and moan about it, go right ahead.
SPRBD is offline  
Old 12-20-08, 11:05 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Compton (Straight Outta)
Posts: 1,130
Um, this isn't about region coding. There's nothing stopping the studios from encoding a PAL BD as Region B or C and thereby making it incompatible any Region A player, including the HK PS3. Failure to support PAL content for region-free discs makes a joke of the standards interoperability that HD provides (ATSC sets can even accept a native PAL signal), and since the PS3 is obviously capable of handling PAL -- the U.S. and HK models are completely identical under the hood -- I feel Sony is particularly on the hook for this.
Dan Average is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 04:01 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 163
Did some one see LE MOMA? How is transfer? and where is the best price?
zoran009 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 08:51 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Compton (Straight Outta)
Posts: 1,130
Do you mean La Môme? I assume you're asking about the French release, and I've heard no complaints about the transfer -- a poster here called it "stunning" and pro-b had some kind words as well. The extras are in standard-def PAL, so they won't work in all North American players. As for the best price, Amazon.fr has it for 26 euros (a bit cheaper than Alapage or FNAC), but as with all French e-tailers, you will be completely reamed on shipping if you're in the U.S. (They'll deduct VAT, but that doesn't quite make up for it.)
Dan Average is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 03:53 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post
Do you mean La Môme? I assume you're asking about the French release, and I've heard no complaints about the transfer -- a poster here called it "stunning" and pro-b had some kind words as well. The extras are in standard-def PAL, so they won't work in all North American players. As for the best price, Amazon.fr has it for 26 euros (a bit cheaper than Alapage or FNAC), but as with all French e-tailers, you will be completely reamed on shipping if you're in the U.S. (They'll deduct VAT, but that doesn't quite make up for it.)
thnx! yes!
zoran009 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.