Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Directors you just don't like? (must have seen at least 3 movies from)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 10:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts

i say you've seen at least 3 movies because you come back to them to see if you like them. not just you see one movie that was totally abysmal (see Uwe Boll) and then can't stand them and don't ever want to see another by them...

I just saw "Paranoid Park" and did not like it. I keep giving Gus Vant Sant a chance because i loved "Good Will Hunting" (which of course is the most commercial of these movies and vastly different style) and he comes up with these very intriguing concept movies like "Last Days" and "Elephant", but i just don't think they are executed all that well. "Psycho", again, was a horrible shot-by-shot remake.

i keep giving him a chance but don't like him on the whole.

you have any directors that you keep giving a chance but still hasn't panned out yet?

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-29-08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Joel Schumacher. While I didn't think The Client was bad, his 2 Batman films were the worst piece of craps I have ever seen. I seriously was considering walking out of Batman & Robin. Having seen Spice World, I would have rather seen that 5x compared to the 1 viewing of Batman & Robin. Later going back & seeing Batman Forever again, that movie also earned a place in the in the shit box.
Old 07-29-08, 10:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Joel Schumacher. While I didn't think The Client was bad, his 2 Batman films were the worst piece of craps I have ever seen. I seriously was considering walking out of Batman & Robin. Having seen Spice World, I would have rather seen that 5x compared to the 1 viewing of Batman & Robin. Later going back & seeing Batman Forever again, that movie also earned a place in the in the shit box.
while i agree for the most part, but "Tigerland" (excellent, excellent little movie) and "The Lost Boys" are very well done movies. "Phone Booth" wasn't that bad either.
Old 07-29-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Renny Harlin since Cliffhanger.
Old 07-29-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ron Howard
Michael Bay
Gore Verbinski
Tony Scott
George Lucas
Jon Favreau
Old 07-29-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Tim Story: Barbershop, Taxi, and both Fantastic Four movies were not good. As far as the latter two films go, either the guy is completely clueless or has no respect for the material.

Spike Lee: The guy has great technical skill, but I don't care for his movies nor anything I hear come out of his mouth.

Gus Van Sant: Great early work, not that great recent work. When a guy shoot a movie entirely in my city and it bores me to tears, something is wrong.

Ron Howard: It's been all downhill since Apollo 13 (save for The Missing). His movies are just plain lazy in all aspects.

Brian DePalma: The most famous hack in Hollywood (people who say that title belongs to Tarantino need to watch Vertigo and Obsession back to back). He has made some great films though, but things have been a disaster since Mission Impossible.

Tony Scott: His films aside from The Hunger, Crimson Tide, and Man on Fire, just do nothing for me. His trademark shaky-cam and light-speed editing are far more annoying than any Michael Bay cliche move.

George Lucas: I've been a hardcore Star Wars fan since I've been three and a half, but the guy just doesn't have a clue anymore. He made three of the best films of the 70s and then 20 years later makes three films that come off as big steps back in writing and directing skill.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 07-29-08 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Just got done watching Bertolucci's films in order and was terribly underwhelmed. Awful imitator of Godard (vastly overrated himself) who lucked into meeting Storaro.

And Godard's films are just embarrassing.
Old 07-29-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Tim Story: Barbershop, Taxi, and both Fantastic Four movies were not good. As far as the latter two films go, either the guy is completely clueless or has no respect for the material.

Spike Lee: The guy has great technical skill, but I don't care for his movies nor anything I hear come out of his mouth.

Gus Van Sant: Great early work, not that great recent work. When a guy shoot a movie entirely in my city and it bores me to tears, something is wrong.

Ron Howard: It's been all downhill since Apollo 13 (save for The Missing). His movies are just plain lazy in all aspects.

Brian DePalma: The most famous hack in Hollywood (people who say that title belongs to Tarantino need to watch Vertigo and Obsession back to back). He has made some great films though, but things have been a disaster since Mission Impossible.

Tony Scott: His films aside from The Hunger, Crimson Tide, and Man on Fire, just do nothing for me. His trademark shaky-cam and light-speed editing are far more annoying than any Michael Bay cliche move.

George Lucas: I've been a hardcore Star Wars fan since I've been three and a half, but the guy just doesn't have a clue anymore. He made three of the best films of the 70s and then 20 years later makes three films that come off as big steps back in writing and directing skill.

Agree with everyone and everything you say EXCEPT....I thought "Cinderella Man" was terrific. And I hate most of Ron Howard's movies.

I'd like to add Rob Reiner to this list. Man has he ever lost it.
Old 07-29-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McG.
Poor T4
Old 07-29-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wes Anderson - Bottle Rocket was OK. Rushmore was very good. But his last 3 films have all been terrible (IMO).
Old 07-29-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Terry Gilliam. His earlier Monty Python and similar comedic fare are fine (not really my kind of humor, but that isn't a fault), but Brazil really never did a thing for me, nor did Munchausen or Fisher King. 12 Monkeys is probably the only mid- to high-point for me, and then we hit the absolutely abysmal trio of Fear & Loathing, Brothers Grimm and Tideland. I'll never understand why many think so highly of his work.

Guillermo del Toro follows a rather similar, albeit smaller, arc. I'm pretty indifferent to Cronos and Mimic, thought Devil's Backbone was solid and then it's all downhill from here. He clearly has a wonderfully creative mind, but I think he can be a downright terrible writer and director more often than not.

I'm all for giving filmmakers chance after chance, but I'm done with these two.
Old 07-29-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus

Guillermo del Toro follows a rather similar, albeit smaller, arc. I'm pretty indifferent to Cronos and Mimic, thought Devil's Backbone was solid and then it's all downhill from here. He clearly has a wonderfully creative mind, but I think he can be a downright terrible writer and director more often than not.
Huh!?? "The Devil's Backbone" was his first great film. Then "Hellboy". Then "Pan's Labyrinth". Three home runs there. And to a lesser degree, "Hellboy II".
Old 07-29-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by taa455
Wes Anderson - Bottle Rocket was OK. Rushmore was very good. But his last 3 films have all been terrible (IMO).
Tenenbaums was my favorite of his.

That said, I'll go with more obvious choices:

Paul WS Anderson
Joel Schumacher
Stephen Sommers
Rob Cohen
Uwe Boll
George Lucas (Never saw American Grafitti)
David S. Goyer

Last edited by RichC2; 07-29-08 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mimic was the only del Toro movie I didn't like, including Blade II.
Old 07-29-08, 11:29 PM

Brett "Fanboy" Ratner
Old 07-29-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
M. Night Shyamalan
Old 07-29-08, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quentin Tarantino.
Old 07-29-08, 11:45 PM
Banned

George Lucas
Joss Whedon
Zach Snyder
M. Night Shyamalan
Old 07-29-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts
I don't really remember much of Cronos but I remember really liking it (that's the one with the golden thingy that bleeds you through your hand, right?). Mimic was solid until Mira Sorvino got snatched. The film just felt like everyone was just going through the motions from that point onward. El Espinaso Del Diablo had a great first 40 minutes but the big twist came in too soon into the picture and it all became formulaic and boring from that point onward. Blade II was the best Blade sequel but not that great of a movie. I loved Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army. I've yet to see Pan's Labyrinth.
Old 07-29-08, 11:48 PM

Kevin Smith
I've watched every one of his movies and I don't enjoy any of them. Don't get me wrong, the guy is awesome, very funny, very knowledgeable dude. He's the only guy that I can listen talk 4 hours and be entertained the whole time (Evening with.. flicks). He should just stick to writing, his directing is poo.

Francis Ford Coppola
Every film I've seen of his is just mediocre. The actors he picks for his movies are almost always top notch (except Keanu in Dracula), but the stories he picks are so bland, and yes I'm including the Godfather (flame me, I don't care). He does have some great technique in his visuals, but I have no reason to replay any of his films.

David Lynch
The Elephant Man is his only watchable picture, everything else is film elitist garbage. People insult me when I say his movies are confusing and lack a solid substance, just saying "You're just too unintelligent to understand the deepness of his stories." Well, sir, I say poo on you, I don't like him.

Stanley Kubrick
I'm sure if I grew up in the time his films were released, I'd be amazed, but watching them now, I just don't understand the praise he gets. I absolutely love Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange, but the rest of his works are so drawn out with no substance in long periods of time. He, like Coppola, sure can get a pretty picture on film, definitely has some great shots, but his stories he tells need work.

Oliver Stone
This Neil Diamond looking mother needs to stop making movies. Any Given Sunday is the first and only movie of his I've enjoyed, and the only football movie I've liked. I have not seen JFK yet, but I will be checking it out soon. Even if I do like it, he will not get off my list.

David Cronenberg just barely makes it off my list. I love The Fly, eXistenZ is a neat concept, but everything before and after these are a mess. Too artsy for its own good. He has redeemed himself with his latest two flicks though.

That's my list!

Last edited by project86; 07-29-08 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts
Wow...no votes yet for Michael Bay. Some of them are watchable, but I have really liked any movie he's ever made.
Old 07-29-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Totally agree with Kevin Smith.
Also:
Doug Liman
Chris Columbus
Richard Linklater
Paul Haggis
Cameron Crowe

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 07-29-08 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Falling Down. That's all I gotta say.
Old 07-30-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by project86
Kevin Smith
I've watched every one of his movies and I don't enjoy any of them. Don't get me wrong, the guy is awesome, very funny, very knowledgeable dude. He's the only guy that I can listen talk 4 hours and be entertained the whole time (Evening with.. flicks). He should just stick to writing, his directing is poo.

Francis Ford Coppola
Every film I've seen of his is just mediocre. The actors he picks for his movies are almost always top notch (except Keanu in Dracula), but the stories he picks are so bland, and yes I'm including the Godfather (flame me, I don't care). He does have some great technique in his visuals, but I have no reason to replay any of his films.

David Lynch
The Elephant Man is his only watchable picture, everything else is film elitist garbage. People insult me when I say his movies are confusing and lack a solid substance, just saying "You're just too unintelligent to understand the deepness of his stories." Well, sir, I say poo on you, I don't like him.

Stanley Kubrick
I'm sure if I grew up in the time his films were released, I'd be amazed, but watching them now, I just don't understand the praise he gets. I absolutely love Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange, but the rest of his works are so drawn out with no substance in long periods of time. He, like Coppola, sure can get a pretty picture on film, definitely has some great shots, but his stories he tells need work.

Oliver Stone
This Neil Diamond looking mother needs to stop making movies. Any Given Sunday is the first and only movie of his I've enjoyed, and the only football movie I've liked. I have not seen JFK yet, but I will be checking it out soon. Even if I do like it, he will not get off my list.

David Cronenberg just barely makes it off my list. I love The Fly, eXistenZ is a neat concept, but everything before and after these are a mess. Too artsy for its own good. He has redeemed himself with his latest two flicks though.

That's my list!

I love everybody on that list with the exception of Stone whom I "like."
Old 07-30-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
In defense of Schumacher, the guy has made a lot of films (and quite a few very good ones over the course of his career) and is often called a hack (and quite unfairly) because of Batman and Robin.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.