Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Directors you just don't like? (must have seen at least 3 movies from)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Directors you just don't like? (must have seen at least 3 movies from)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
We're not talking about once; we're talking about 3+ times. I've seen two Michael Bay movies, and that's enough. I've seen zero Uwe Boll movies, and that's enough too. Life's too short to give a bad director more than two chances.
Here Here...
Old 07-30-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
Paul Greengrass
Michael Bay
Kevin Smith
Tim Burton
Frederico Fellini
George Lucas
Roland Emmerich
Old 07-30-08, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gotta add Robert Redford to the list as well. I really dont like A River Runs Through It, The Legend of Bagger Vance and Ordinary People. Lions for Lambs and The Horse Whisperer are decent and I have not seen Quiz Show (but want to) but overall Redford has never impressed me.
Old 07-30-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 383 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Renny Harlin since Cliffhanger.
I agree. Though I really enjoy The Last Kiss Goodnight. That guy was my hero when I was a kid, growin' up around action movies.

Joel Schumacher is the only guy I can think of that's kind of 'bleh' everytime I see his name in the credits. Falling Down was good. His IMDB filmography reads...

The Number 23 (2007)
The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
Veronica Guerin (2003)
Phone Booth (2002)
Bad Company (2002)
Tigerland (2000)
Flawless (1999)
8MM (1999)
Batman & Robin (1997)
A Time to Kill (1996)
Batman Forever (1995)
The Client (1994)
Falling Down (1993)
"2000 Malibu Road" (1992) TV series (unknown episodes)
Dying Young (1991)
Flatliners (1990)
Cousins (1989)
INXS: Kick: The Video Flick (1988) (V) (video "Devil Inside")
The Lost Boys (1987)
St. Elmo's Fire (1985)
D.C. Cab (1983)
The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981)
Amateur Night at the Dixie Bar and Grill (1979) (TV)
The Virginia Hill Story (1974) (TV)

Most of those movies are just ... not that good. Not "walk out of the theater" bad. But they're consistantly... acceptable. That's all I can really say.
Old 07-30-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Takashi Miike. I've seen Audition, Dead or Alive, and Ichi the Killer after hearing quite a bit of hype about them, but all were VERY disappointing. I have no desire to sit through any of his other films.
Old 07-30-08, 10:28 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I gotta add Robert Redford to the list as well. I really dont like A River Runs Through It, The Legend of Bagger Vance and Ordinary People. Lions for Lambs and The Horse Whisperer are decent and I have not seen Quiz Show (but want to) but overall Redford has never impressed me.
I've only seen Quiz Show and The Milagro Beanfield War and I loved both. We're like two blind guys describing an elephant.
Old 07-30-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wim Wenders.
Old 07-30-08, 10:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Wim Wenders.
Which of his movies have you seen? Most of the recent ones are pretty awful.
Old 07-30-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was kidding
Old 07-30-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taa455
Wes Anderson - Bottle Rocket was OK. Rushmore was very good. But his last 3 films have all been terrible (IMO).
Agreed. I don't think any movie put me to sleep quickly as "The Darjeeling Limited" did.
Old 07-30-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Takashi Miike. I've seen Audition, Dead or Alive, and Ichi the Killer after hearing quite a bit of hype about them, but all were VERY disappointing. I have no desire to sit through any of his other films.
Give Happiness of the Katakuris and Sukiyaki Western Django; ones a musical, the other is a tribute to spaghetti westerns, both genres that are far removed from the 'pure shock' films of his you've seen.
Old 07-31-08, 12:08 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't think you can always blame the director for a bad movie. I'd be much quicker to blame the screenwriters.
Old 07-31-08, 03:55 PM

Spike Lee was the first that popped into my head. I've enjoyed one of his movies, School Daze, and I was probably just in a good mood and would have liked anything at that time. In every other one of his films I've made myself sit through I just wanted to scream "SHUT UP AND GET OVER YOURSELF!"

Want to say Oliver Stone but he's made some amazing stuff. It's just that U-Turn was one of the few films I've ever walked out on and really despised so much it makes me want to hate him.
Old 07-31-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Give Happiness of the Katakuris and Sukiyaki Western Django; ones a musical, the other is a tribute to spaghetti westerns, both genres that are far removed from the 'pure shock' films of his you've seen.
Add The Bird People of China to that list; it's much more sedate than the type of films he's known for.

EDIT: Though to be fair, Miike has also made a lot of crap.

Last edited by GreenVulture; 07-31-08 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,322 Likes on 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Gonna have to go with Tim Burton.

And I base this on the realization that I don't like his style. Not his directing style, but the "style" of his movies.
I'll second Burton for the same reason you mentioned. Unfortunately, that's all he's got as far as talent, if it weren't for his visual style he'd have nothing. Although, admittedly, I did like Big Fish

I'll add:

Werner Herzog - I can't stand any of this guy's films. I've tried watching them and, to me, they just come off as amatuerish. I'm glad that the guy is enthusiastic for his subject matter but that enthusiasm doesn't necessarily make a good movie.
Old 07-31-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
project86 list depresses me very much....

Anyways my list:

Nora Ephron
Oh my, how could I have forgotten this hack!? I do believe she has to be in the Top 3. "Bewitched" should have had her thrown in jail.
Old 07-31-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wong Kar Wai
Old 07-31-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
I don't think you can always blame the director for a bad movie. I'd be much quicker to blame the screenwriters.
I'd be much quicker to blame the producers or studios.

Good directors can still make a good movie out of a bad script.
Old 07-31-08, 06:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'd be much quicker to blame the producers or studios.

Well if you're going to get down to it, sure, they shouldn't allow a crap movie to be made from a terrible script.

As far as "directors can still make a good movie out of a bad script" goes, I don't think that's saying much. Sure your movie looks great and can be entertaining on some level, but the best you can make is a good popcorn flick. Style over substance.
Old 07-31-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by celmendo
Spike Lee was the first that popped into my head. I've enjoyed one of his movies, School Daze, and I was probably just in a good mood and would have liked anything at that time. In every other one of his films I've made myself sit through I just wanted to scream "SHUT UP AND GET OVER YOURSELF!"
Did you see Inside Man? He was work-for-hire on that one, and brought his street-level suckerpunch filmmaking style to what is ostensibly a big-budget studio heist flick.

It turned out to be one of his best (and least self-conscious) movies ever.

I loved every single one of his movies up to and including MALCOLM X, but his filmography since then has been hit-and-miss.
Old 07-31-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Though to be fair, Miike has also made a lot of crap.
And he can certainly get away with it since he makes 10 movies a year.

Through in Rainy Dog to the good mix of his films. That's like his Mann/Melville masterpiece.
Old 07-31-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Or in the case of Alien 3, no script.
Old 07-31-08, 07:17 PM

George Lucas (SW prequels)
Anthony Minghella (God rest his soul)
Old 07-31-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by project86
Kevin Smith
I've watched every one of his movies and I don't enjoy any of them. Don't get me wrong, the guy is awesome, very funny, very knowledgeable dude. He's the only guy that I can listen talk 4 hours and be entertained the whole time (Evening with.. flicks). He should just stick to writing, his directing is poo.

Francis Ford Coppola
Every film I've seen of his is just mediocre. The actors he picks for his movies are almost always top notch (except Keanu in Dracula), but the stories he picks are so bland, and yes I'm including the Godfather (flame me, I don't care). He does have some great technique in his visuals, but I have no reason to replay any of his films.

David Lynch
The Elephant Man is his only watchable picture, everything else is film elitist garbage. People insult me when I say his movies are confusing and lack a solid substance, just saying "You're just too unintelligent to understand the deepness of his stories." Well, sir, I say poo on you, I don't like him.

Stanley Kubrick
I'm sure if I grew up in the time his films were released, I'd be amazed, but watching them now, I just don't understand the praise he gets. I absolutely love Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange, but the rest of his works are so drawn out with no substance in long periods of time. He, like Coppola, sure can get a pretty picture on film, definitely has some great shots, but his stories he tells need work.

Oliver Stone
This Neil Diamond looking mother needs to stop making movies. Any Given Sunday is the first and only movie of his I've enjoyed, and the only football movie I've liked. I have not seen JFK yet, but I will be checking it out soon. Even if I do like it, he will not get off my list.

David Cronenberg just barely makes it off my list. I love The Fly, eXistenZ is a neat concept, but everything before and after these are a mess. Too artsy for its own good. He has redeemed himself with his latest two flicks though.

That's my list!
Old 08-01-08, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or in the case of Alien 3, no script.
He said *GOOD* movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.