Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Old 02-05-07, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seemed like a good idea to start another thread, since the other two have been taken over by those who just want to argue. Let's just stick with the Amazon situation. No moralizing or throwing stones, please. If you want to debate or argue, go back to the previous thread.

Has anyone one been charged yet, or heard from Amazon recently?

Last edited by BeatlePaul; 02-05-07 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 03:26 PM
Banned

Yes, I was charged 1 million dollars.
Old 02-05-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread.

I decided to ride out my one order and I have yet to email Amazon at all. As of right now, there are no holds or pending charges on my MasterCard. I haven't heard from Amazon since they sent out the last email pushing the date from January 28 to February 2.
Old 02-05-07, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Thanks for starting this thread.

I decided to ride out my one order and I have yet to email Amazon at all. As of right now, there are no holds or pending charges on my MasterCard. I haven't heard from Amazon since they sent out the last email pushing the date from January 28 to February 2.
Is Feb 2 now the "official" cut off date?
Old 02-05-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BeatlePaul
Is Feb 2 now the "official" cut off date?
I got an email from Amazon on January 26 saying that they would charge my credit card for any items that had not been processed by their returns center by February 2. That was the last email that I have received from Amazon.
Old 02-05-07, 03:44 PM

Interesting that you have not heard anything already three days after the deadline.
Old 02-05-07, 03:46 PM

No charges or pending authorizations here either. If Feb. 2 was the last day for returns, I would assume charges would show up no later than Feb. 5 (next business day). Given the wide variety of responses people have received, though, it would probably be unwise to assume anything about Amazon's plans anymore.
Old 02-05-07, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by StealthStratos
No charges or pending authorizations here either. If Feb. 2 was the last day for returns, I would assume charges would show up no later than Feb. 5 (next business day). Given the wide variety of responses people have received, though, it would probably be unwise to assume anything about Amazon's plans anymore.
I tend to agree with that assessment. Has anyone thought to check with their credit card company and ask about any new charges form Amazon from Feb. 2 onward?
Old 02-05-07, 03:55 PM

Not yet. Been watching everyday
Old 02-05-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chose to ignore the two emails also, but haven't checked my credit card statement.
Old 02-05-07, 03:58 PM

Well, if something is going to happen it should be at any time now.
Old 02-05-07, 05:18 PM

Amazon could learn something from A&E who recently had a price mistake and handled it perfectly. They canceled the orders before shipping and then sent a $25 gc to everyone.
Old 02-05-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
I thought something would happen today, being Monday, and the deadline was over the weekend

A&E sent a GC too? I avoided that one, after this mess.
Old 02-05-07, 06:05 PM
Banned

No, amazon haven't charge me yet. Thanks for starting this thread. The other was pointless discussion going around in circles.
Old 02-05-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Somehow I don't think the new thread and the disclaimer of arguing are going to keep out the moral and ethical group.

However on topic I so far have not been charged, and believe it will probably never happen since Amazon keeps changing the deadlines. The threats of charging appear to be ploy to try to get as much of the merchandise returned to minimize their losses. I think Amazon knows it cannot legally charge customers a second time.
Old 02-05-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's hilarious how a half-dozen people, who missed out on Amazon's most generous Christmas present, have become totally obsessed with those of us who hit the jackpot. Let them have their self-righteous indignation...I have 22 boxsets that didn't cost me a dime.
Old 02-05-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Somehow I don't think the new thread and the disclaimer of arguing are going to keep out the moral and ethical group.
I don't know. For now, they seem comfortable arguing about what "credit" is. And all of the people who were baiting us because of our low moral standards are rolling their eyes because we all left.

It makes sense to me to keep the discussions separate. There is a lot of morality to debate that isn't specific to this instance.
Old 02-05-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish a mod would step into this thread to make sure that it doesn't get sidetracked once again.
Old 02-05-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peep
I don't know. For now, they seem comfortable arguing about what "credit" is. And all of the people who were baiting us because of our low moral standards are rolling their eyes because we all left.

It makes sense to me to keep the discussions separate. There is a lot of morality to debate that isn't specific to this instance.
I agree on a separate discussion since the other thread has gotten so far off topic I don't even know what it is about anymore. But I have a feeling when the group arguing against why it was wrong getting free merchandise from Amazon realizes they are talking to themselves they will just bring their crap here.
Old 02-06-07, 01:24 AM

Once upon a time, Amazon was well known for giving people GC's after canceling mispriced orders. That was a very long time ago though.

As of right now, no charges are showing on my online statement - which is usually current within a minute or two. I don't think Amazon could charge me even if they tried since I used a throw-away cc# and just to be sure, I 'closed' that cc# and all the other throw-away cc#'s from the last 6 months worth of orders I placed at Amazon.
Old 02-06-07, 04:53 PM
Defunct Account

Well, I'll go out on a limb here a predict that Amazon will not charge (except possibly for people with 10+ orders) for these. In the original e-mail it said:

If you decide to keep the items or we have not received the items
you wish to return by January 28, we will charge your credit card
for any unreturned items in a manner consistent with the terms of
the promotion described above.

Then they changed it to:

As we stated in our previous e-mail message, we discovered that we did
not charge you the correct amount for the items you purchased due to
an error. We will charge your credit card for any items from this
order that have not been processed by our returns center by February
2, 2007. To review the costs for this order, please visit Your
Account by clicking the link at the top right of our web site.

It's now Feb. 6th. I haven't been charged, and no one has reported an extra Amazon charge. They've had plenty of time to process returns (I don't think there were a lot) and they haven't extended the deadline again. They were playing 'chicken' and they blinked first.

My own theory is that they realized that many, if not all, credit card companies would not side with the customer and tack on a fee for each disputed charge. They are cutting their losses.
Old 02-06-07, 07:33 PM

They're toying with us. Probably reading these threads in fact, waiting for the clamor to die down in a week or so, then BLAM! they'll strike.
Old 02-06-07, 07:49 PM

If Amazon does intend on eventually re-charging us, every day they postpone that decision works in our favor.
Old 02-07-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
If Amazon does intend on eventually re-charging us, every day they postpone that decision works in our favor.
How so?
Old 02-07-07, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
How so?
Amazon knew of their mistake before they shipped any of our orders, but chose to ship them anyway. If Amazon truly believed they had a legal right to correct their mistake by re-charging us, they could have done that immediately. Why wait 46 days (and counting)? My credit card was charged on 12/23/06. It is now 2/07/07.

Amazon doesn't have an indefinite period of time to deal with this matter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.