Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spiderman 3 to be the last

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.latinoreview.com/intervie...onspidey3.html

How stupid is it that if Raimi wants to do more that they are telling him this is it? You would think the studio would see the millions/billions to be made by continuing to makes these movies, especially if they continued to be quality films. I hope someone comes to their senses on making more of these movies, especially if Raimi is on board.

Last edited by Ketamine; 10-11-04 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Rami will let Spider Man 3 be his last, but is this a guarantee Columbia Pictures won't pimp it out to some other directors? We could see Spider-Man 5: Spidey and Frog Man sometime in the future......

If Rami uses Black Cat in the final movie, that will be great, but if not, I will be left wanting more.
Old 10-11-04, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by calhoun07
Yeah, Rami will let Spider Man 3 be his last, but is this a guarantee Columbia Pictures won't pimp it out to some other directors? We could see Spider-Man 5: Spidey and Frog Man sometime in the future......
"One thing that Amy Pascal told me was that she wants to make this a proper ending to the Spider-Man saga. I'd like to keep directing Spider-Man movies but I think she's thinking that the audience feels they want to see one more and no more."
Raimi wanted to do more but is saying he will quit after this one b/c the studio wants it to be over.
Old 10-11-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's no good. Spider-man could be the James Bond franchise of the 21st century.
Old 10-11-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
That's no good. Spider-man could be the James Bond franchise of the 21st century.
Or the Star Trek franchise....slowly going down hill.

I think they should leave it open ended. If the right director/script comes along, green light it. If not, don't do a fourth movie for the sake of doing a fourth movie.
Old 10-11-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts
Sony can do more Bonds (since they now have rights to the franchise from the MGM deal). But while Spider-man is a great franchise, I can't see the studio wanting more beyond a trilogy, it's just not cost effective. Sony has spent in excess of $400M on 2 Spider-man films. That's more than what New Line spent on the whole LOTR trilogy.
Old 10-11-04, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by devilshalo
it's just not cost effective. Sony has spent in excess of $400M on 2 Spider-man films.
And gone on to gross nearly $800M domestically.
Old 10-11-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by redinger
And gone on to gross nearly $800M domestically.
So you'd be ok with spending $300M on the next installment? $400 on part 4, $500M on part 5?
Old 10-11-04, 11:32 AM

Sony can do more Bonds (since they now have rights to the franchise from the MGM deal). But while Spider-man is a great franchise, I can't see the studio wanting more beyond a trilogy, it's just not cost effective. Sony has spent in excess of $400M on 2 Spider-man films. That's more than what New Line spent on the whole LOTR trilogy.
But what kind of money are they bringing in? Spiderman 1 alone made more than $400 million at the box office in the US. Add in overseas sales, DVD, product tie-in's, etc., they have easily turned a huge profit. The cost of LOTR trilogy is a different sort of animal since they filmed all three at the same time and filmed them outside the US. Of course it was cheaper. That doesn't negate the fact the Spiderman and Spiderman 2 are the 6 and 8 highest grossing films of all time in the US. Since the person who made these film great (Raimi) still wants to do more and the 2nd film improved in quality, not decreased, I don't know why someone would think that there wouldn't be continued interest in these films past 3 movies. Sure, tie up the current story, but don't end the chance at a 4th movie if is the script is good.
Old 10-11-04, 11:35 AM

So you'd be ok with spending $300M on the next installment? $400 on part 4, $500M on part 5?
I really don't think part 4 will cost $400 million but even if it did, I would spend $400 mil to make $500+ mil. The way things are now, I see no reason why they won't continue to make money and you know how well comic book movies sell on DVD even if they are bad.

BTW: why not film Spiderman 4,5, and 6 all at the same time like with LOTR. Think about how much money they would pull in if they did something like this with a good story. Oh the possibilities.
Old 10-11-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's wait until we get a more reliable source than this. Considering how well the Spiderman films do, do you really think the studio won't want more. Normally it is the director not wanting to do more.

A mistake I noticed, they said Harry as the Hobgoblin. I might not be the biggest SM fan but I know that the Hobgoblin IS NOT an Osborn. Just some other guy. Harry went on to be another Green Goblin.
Old 10-11-04, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by resinrats
Let's wait until we get a more reliable source than this. Considering how well the Spiderman films do, do you really think the studio won't want more. Normally it is the director not wanting to do more.

A mistake I noticed, they said Harry as the Hobgoblin. I might not be the biggest SM fan but I know that the Hobgoblin IS NOT an Osborn. Just some other guy. Harry went on to be another Green Goblin.
Actually, I think this is a very good source. They tend to get a lot of the early info on films. Also, it looks like this a quote from Raimi, not just some rumor that is floating around. I do think the studio will change it's mind or more likely they are using this to try to keep costs down on a 4th one. If the actors and director think that a 4th one isn't a guarantee, then maybe they will sign on for less to get the film going. Just a thought.

As for the hobgobin, this is a very common mistake and I don't think it hurts the credibility of the info given about SM4.
Old 10-11-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think that's a poor way of looking at costs to assume the movie budget will rise like that with each installment.

Anyway, haven't we heard before that it was Raimi who didn't want to do anymore then 3? I find it hard to believe that its the studio wanting to slow things down.
Old 10-11-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats

It wouldn't be the first time a movie took liberties with continuity.
Old 10-11-04, 11:56 AM
Banned

Bring on the Hellboy Trilogy!
Old 10-11-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by calhoun07
Or the Star Trek franchise....slowly going down hill.

I think they should leave it open ended. If the right director/script comes along, green light it. If not, don't do a fourth movie for the sake of doing a fourth movie.
Which isn't what I'm talking about at all. Of course the franchise could become a turkey at some point, but I was talking about if the quality could be maintained. Bond has had it's ups and downs, but each 'era' has had it's moments (and yes, I like Dalton, so shut up! ) I think Raimi himself could easily produce 5 solid Spider-mans if not more, and it's even possible that other talent could step in and be equally as effective. Of course, you're right, we could get a Batman-esque franchise where the sequels go from worse to embarassing, at which point I would hope the franchise would die a speedy death.

As for how much the films are costing, uh... how much do they bring in again?
Old 10-11-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As for how much the films are costing, uh... how much do they bring in again?
Ask Avi Arad and Marvel Films, they always seem to know enough to make some lawsuit for more licensing and merchandising money.
Old 10-11-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts
I can't really see Sony/Columbia stopping the franchise until they start to see diminishing returns unless there's another reason.

How many movies did they license out from Marvel? If they only did three, which were hugely successful, then I can certainly see Marvel holding out for more money.

Also, if Sony is only allowed to make three movies, that wouldn't necessarily preclude Marvel from shopping the franchise around to other studios.
Old 10-11-04, 01:05 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
money talks, bullshit walks
Old 10-11-04, 01:32 PM

Hmmm....

"Spierman"? Never heard of it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-11-04, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by taa455
Hmmm....

"Spierman"? Never heard of it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Yeah, I have asked the mods to fix it but still no help in sight.
Old 10-11-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope they do leave it open ended. No matter how they wrap up the story arc, there's still going to be room to make more Spiderman movies. Cuase I doubt Pascal is asking Raimi to either kill or have Spiderman quit being Spiderman. What they'll do is wrap up the story arc they've created in 1 and 2, but since Spiderman is still around, his character can be taken to more sequels, which could probably at that point perhaps use a new director actor who knows. But it seems it's more about wrapping up this particular section of the series.
Old 10-11-04, 03:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Frankly, I would have no problem if they ended it with 3. Everyone here is presuming 3 will be as good or better than 2. We don't know if that's how it will be. And there are very few franchises that maintain quality past the third film. Unless they want to do Spider-Man like Zatoichi, where each successive film basically has nothing to do with the previous ones.
Old 10-11-04, 03:05 PM
Banned

spiderman is ok but a little over rated.
Old 10-11-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for the hobgobin, this is a very common mistake and I don't think it hurts the credibility of the info given about SM4.
I would be incredibly surprised if they just had Harry put on the exact same costume and use the exact same name. The Hobgoblin seems like a logical way to add some variety.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.