DVD Talk
Kevin Smith to Fans: "can some of you reign it in this week?" [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Kevin Smith to Fans: "can some of you reign it in this week?"

GuessWho
03-24-04, 08:45 AM
From Kevin's post on viewaskew.com:

I know it's the right of all 'net surfers to be far more outspoken and negative than they've dare be in real life, but can some of you reign it in this week?
I like reading this board. I don't necessarily read it just to see positive stuff, but I damn skippy don't read it to come across the "I'm entitled to my opinion" crap some folks feel the need to splooge. You didn't like "Yes, Dear"? Keep it to yourself for the next few days, wouldja? You hate Kilborn? Save your bile 'til Saturday. And for the love of Christ, let's leave any info about Rotten Tomatoes off the board 'til Monday. I've still got four more days of hardcore press to get through, and while I'm all for both sides of an issue, I'd rather wait to read the boo-hoo bullshit 'til after we open.

In an effort to help this along, here's some "Jersey Girl" perspective for ya'll...

1) The film's not gonna be a critical hit. It's an extremely sentimental film, and most critics don't like sentiment. Don't expect big, critical kudos this time around (in fact, we may be less well-reviewed than we were on "Strike Back"). The NY Times is gonna shred the flick. LA Times too, I'll bet. EW probably ain't gonna be onboard.

2) These are the movies that are DEFINITELY going to make more than us at the box office this weekend: Dawn of the Dead, The Passion of the Christ, Scooby Doo 2, The Ladykillers, Starsky and Hutch. These are the movies that are PROBABLY gonna make more than us at the box office this weekend: Taking Lives, Secret Window, Hidalgo, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Acccept it.

3) A killer opening number would be nice, but isn't necessary. We're only opening on 1600 screens this weekend, then going 2000 the weekend after. What we're looking for is longevity: audience word-of-mouth and solid numbers for a few weeks in a row. We've gotten shit-loads of press hits in advance of Friday, and the TV spots are all over the place. And while we won't have many of the critics on our side, if the movie plays as well with audiences as it has been playing in test, marketing, and awareness screenings over the course of the last year, we should glide along nicely on strong word-of-mouth. There's nothing else like it at the box office for the next few weeks, so that's good too.

4) Being contrary for the sake of being contrary (or "honest") is something I'll normally indulge, but this week, give me a break, alright? I mean, shit - we've gotten this board down to an *******-free zone, thanks to all the protocols we've put in place this last year. Don't be the worst kind of *******: the fan who's "keeping it real". If you're a fan, do me a favor and hold off on the "Why's Kevin doing all these shitty shows?" and "I'm really disappointed in this or that appearance" 'til after I get through this already intimidating uphill battle of trying to open this movie in the wake of "Gigli" and "Hurricane Bennifer". We've really been able to turn shit around for the last month, and my fingers are crossed for our theatrical life, so it sucks to come here - my home - and find T.P.'s* spouting off. I'm certainly not asking for you folks to blow sunshine up my ass; not at all. All I'm asking for is a little common courtesy: if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned.

* T.P. is the brother of Rod Tidwell, Cuba Gooding's character in "Jerry Maguire." T.P. was the constant voice of dissension, who liked to "Keep it real."

balancer
03-24-04, 08:48 AM
" if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned. "

sounds like a member of the bush administration

neiname
03-24-04, 08:52 AM
Wow, that reeks of desperation

sundog
03-24-04, 08:57 AM
Can we at least bitch about his vocabulary usage? It's "rein" not "reign".

Groucho
03-24-04, 09:08 AM
Wow, he's pretty much admitting that the film sucks and is going to bomb at the box office.

The Nature Boy
03-24-04, 09:11 AM
What a blathering pussbag. His own characters are open and entitled to pop culture critiques and attacks, but a message board, one he DOES NOT HAVE TO READ is now effectively being censcored? What a disgrace to Jersey. I hope those blathering sicophants who trail at his heel savage his film -- if it deserves it. Don't let that chowderhead shut you up.

Crocker Jarmen
03-24-04, 09:14 AM
I don't see him admitting either of those things, Groucho.

Still seems like a pretty silly request. If he's going to be running around promoting the movie, I don't see how he's going to have time to read any negative posts on his board that might make him sad. Is he worried about reports coming out saying 'Even his hardest fans on his own website dislike the film?'.

neiname
03-24-04, 09:18 AM
He's essentially blaming Gigli and Hurricane Bennifer in advance so he has something to fall back on.

ianholm
03-24-04, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by balancer
" if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned. "

sounds like a member of the bush administration

Why don't you keep the political crap in the Other forum, where it belongs.

devilshalo
03-24-04, 09:36 AM
**** you Kev, **** you up your stupid ass.

I don't see why Kevin even bothers with spin control. He should just put the disclaimer up like he did at the beginning of Dogma

Rammsteinfan
03-24-04, 09:53 AM
I have not had any interest in this movie for some reason... maybe it will be a good rental.

steebo777
03-24-04, 10:13 AM
Thought it was a good film, well worth the price of admission. I know I'll be seeing it again at the theater.

Rivero
03-24-04, 10:23 AM
Kevin Smith, just shut up you pansy-ass crybaby.

harosa
03-24-04, 10:45 AM
While Im a fan of Smith's movies this sounds like the shit he did after Mallrats bombed and he went in front of the indie crowd and apologized for the movie, which pissed me off because I liked it and felt like he was abandoning the few that supported him, especially at the box office. This just sounds like he's admitting it will bomb, my question is, why make it then and risk the studio's money if you know in advance the movie will tank, this doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement of Weinstein's faith in handing him a potential franchise picture in Green Hornet. Will he diss that movie before it's initial release also? " This movie wil be beaten at the box office by Star Wars 3, SpiderMan 3, etc, etc, etc."

Shannon Nutt
03-24-04, 10:45 AM
Kevin seems a little worried that he may have made a movie too sappy for his hardcore "Jay & Silent Bob" fans, and not appealing enough to the rest of America.

I have to admit from the previews, it looks more like a made-for-TV movie than a theatrical release - but I'm a Kevin Smith fan, I'll reserve judgement and give the man my $7 this weekend. He's entertained me enough in the past to deserve that much from me.

harosa
03-24-04, 10:48 AM
Ive been his biggest fan since day one but I'm enough of a fan to see that his pictures have gotten worse and worse as they go along, at least in my opinion. Some genuine gut busting laughs at times followed by just bad pieces in each movie.

necros
03-24-04, 10:51 AM
I'll be seeing it :)

Give the guy a break, he has to put up with a friend who's a big movie star that got hand-lovin by Cartman's jeniffer lopez hand puppet

Groucho
03-24-04, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by harosa
Ive been his biggest fan since day one but I'm enough of a fan to see that his pictures have gotten worse and worse as they go along, at least in my opinion.Chasing Amy is worse than Mallrats?

Jackskeleton
03-24-04, 10:53 AM
Looks like some of you didn't get the memo about reining it back on bashing smith. :p

The Antipodean
03-24-04, 10:54 AM
While I can't say I'm psyched to see Jersey Girl, I do feel a bit sorry for Smith -- a lot of the negative publicity this movie is getting really was beyond his control. Ah well.

necros
03-24-04, 10:55 AM
Actually for me his movies have gotten better. I think Clerks is the weakest of the bunch, each one was a little better than the last and J&SBSB is the best. So, I'm anxious to see how Jersey Girl will be.

Michael Corvin
03-24-04, 10:57 AM
You people are harsh. He is just asking the bashers to wait until AFTER they actually see the movie(i.e. the weekend) to bash it. And I don't think he is saying it will bomb in any shape or form. None of his movies have ever been top 10 B.O. material. He is just reiterating that this one will be no different so there really is no need for the excessive bashing.

harosa
03-24-04, 11:01 AM
Groucho, I meant the last few, forgive me, Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob are just not the equal of their parts, I did love alot of Chasing Amy, no joke.

GuessWho
03-24-04, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by harosa
why make it then and risk the studio's money if you know in advance the movie will tank

it was originally thought that the ben/jen combo was money in the bank

Troy Stiffler
03-24-04, 11:21 AM
I think that Kevin is really worried about people just creating artifical negative buzz before they see it. He just wants people to see the movie before the decide whether or not the movie is good. Saying the movie sucks before they see it - exactly what people do on the internet.

If he came here and ce*********** us, that woudldn't be cool. But I think he's totally in bounds by ce***********g his own board for a <b>whole week</b>! Especially considering the type of posters on his board; it's a whole different crowd, folks. "One that he DOES NOT HAVE TO READ"? Okay, I guess. But I think that Geoff reading this board is sorta' obligatory.

I think his movies are pretty good. Clerks was funny at times. Mallrats is fun to watch with a bunch of friends, and has enough good parts to 'play in the background'. Chasing Amy is my favorite; right ahead of Dogma. And Jay and Silent Bob was ridiculously funny. So I'm not a HUGE Smith fan, but I sorta'-dig his movies.

Jersey Girl looks good to me. I'm hoping that it's on part with Chasing Amy or Jerry Maguire. That would be most excellent. I'll probably see it next week. I like ya' Kevin, but I like the Coens more. :)

Troy Stiffler
03-24-04, 11:22 AM
[post deleted by k.smith]

fumanstan
03-24-04, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
You people are harsh. He is just asking the bashers to wait until AFTER they actually see the movie(i.e. the weekend) to bash it. And I don't think he is saying it will bomb in any shape or form. None of his movies have ever been top 10 B.O. material. He is just reiterating that this one will be no different so there really is no need for the excessive bashing.

I agree. And considering how many "Kevin Smith fans" may be let down by the movie, he's just telling them to backoff for a bit. No big deal, personally i dont care, he can do what he wants.

Inverse
03-24-04, 11:30 AM
"if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned."

Though I'm sure Kevin won't mind if you want to piss on someone else's movie....

GuessWho
03-24-04, 11:39 AM
Banky: Stop the movie? What are you, crazy?
Jay: All these *******s on the internet are calling us names because of this stupid ****ing movie.
Banky: That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously. Stopping the flick isn't gonna stop that.

[typing a message on an internet chat room]
Jay: All you ************s are gonna pay. You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna **** your mothers while you watch and cry like little bitches. Once we get to Hollywood and find those Miramax ****s who are making that movie, we're gonna make 'em eat our shit, then shit out our shit, then eat their shit which is made up of our shit that we made 'em eat. Then you're all you mother****s are next. Love, Jay and Silent Bob.

--Kevin Smith

DonnachaOne
03-24-04, 11:41 AM
I'm disappointed by this action, and I'm sure he regrets it already.

Have any of you been to the VA web board? It's a pigsty. Ten or eleven regular posters that have decency and intelligence, and ten thousand idiots. While I understand his action, I don't think he's doing himself any favors by expressing this wish. It won't have any effect, and it makes him look whiny to non-fans.

drjay
03-24-04, 11:58 AM
I agree this makes him look a little whiny, but I think he is right to fear the "indie crowd" who will be pissed off at a lack of in-jokes and an overabundance of feel-good movie. He's probably just trying to stem any hopes of fans that the movie will open big.

DonnachaOne - I totally agree about the VA web board; I tried becoming a regular poster there and I just couldn't deal with the idiocy floating around there.

Dr. DVD
03-24-04, 12:22 PM
Like the way he makes it clear that his movie will most likely get beaten by everything else out at the time.

scott shelton
03-24-04, 12:28 PM
I can see why Smith is acting this way. Fanboys show no mercy, and without snowball references, rubber poop monsters, and Jay, they might revolt.

JERSEY GIRL is a wonderful, warm, very sentimental movie. Smith's voice is intact in the film, but no "snoogans." That could upset the mall punks.

I don't blame him for asking the "fans" to cool it. Frankly, I wish more directors took the initiative to speak directly to their fanbase.

Inverse
03-24-04, 01:47 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-03-24

Shannon Nutt
03-24-04, 01:48 PM
"I would especially never see anything written by Kevin Smith!"
http://island.site.ne.jp/mjfox/filmo/image/t_burton.jpg

talemyn
03-24-04, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Kevin seems a little worried that he may have made a movie too sappy for his hardcore "Jay & Silent Bob" fans, and not appealing enough to the rest of America. Dead on . . .

I saw Jersey Girl last night at a sneak preview and it is definately not the typical Kevin Smith kind of movie, but it does have a lot of Kevin Smith "flavor" to it. As such, it will be, likely, too sentimental and soft for fans of the View Askew universe, but, at the same time, possibly too "blue" for those who are fans of sentimental films.

Personally, I enjoyed it. I think it will take at least another viewing before I decide whether or not to add it to my collection, but I'm glad that I saw it.

As for KS's comments, having seen the movie, I think I understand where he is coming from and, personally I kind of respect him standing up for and being honest about himself and his work.

Maybe George Lucas needs to stop by and whip a few people into shape. :D

Dr. DVD
03-24-04, 02:03 PM
I agree with the GL statement. Rather than address the fans, he just blows them off like nothing ever happened.

Jaymole
03-24-04, 02:17 PM
Watching the trailer for this created, just by itself, way too much negative buzz for me.

harosa
03-24-04, 02:26 PM
I dont get the notion that everyone has to love the movie if you're a fan of his other work, hey, some great directors make bad movies.

wmansir
03-24-04, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Michael Corvin

Actually, he is asking more than that. He is asking that they don't express their opinion on it (if negative) until after the weekend is OVER, regardless. So if you see it Friday night, as many hardcore Smith fans would, and you don't like it you should keep your trap shut until Monday. He doesn't want the bad word of mouth to hurt it's opening weekend. To request that is one thing, but to threaten banning if you speak up is another, and it reeks of desperation.

GuessWho
03-24-04, 02:47 PM
This reeks of Chris Jericho's anti-message-board tantrum from about a year ago

But about Smith, it didn't seem to me that he was asking for a holdoff of movie criticism--he mention Kilbourn and his appearance on "Yes Dear"--maybe he just wants people to stop being critics of the promo interviews themselves. He also mentions Rotten Tomato, which means he doesn't want people criticising others' criticism.

Comments about movie > Comments about promo interviews and others' comments

The Antipodean
03-24-04, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately it's a foregone conclusion that between the competition, bad buzz and the whole Bennifer thing, this ain't gonna do that well. I'm waiting for the DVD myself.

DodgingCars
03-24-04, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
Wow, he's pretty much admitting that the film sucks and is going to bomb at the box office.

I think its in response to the early reviews posted at Rotten Tomatoes (currently at 21%).

Morf
03-24-04, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
Chasing Amy is worse than Mallrats?

Personally, I don't think it is necessarily worse. But I enjoy Mallrats more. Chasing Amy is my least favorite View Askew flick, and I know I'm in the minority.

S Kilpatrick
03-24-04, 07:20 PM
Donnacha, I totally agree with you man. It's one of the many reasons I don't find the time to post on the board anymore.

I used to spend all of my time there foolishly attempting to regulate all the idiots who would show up, but it's like trying to breathe water... and also not be a fish.

Anyway, the point is he isn't asking for an eternal silence and the dude is usually more than willing to put up with endless critiques and take it in stride.

He isn't saying that he doesn't want to hear what we think, but he's saying that given that we are the fans and he gets enough crap from people in the media who are only out to bring up Lopez who is in the film for 10 minutes... well let's not getting in both ends basically.

For his part he also asked that all positive stuff be cut off in the meantime too, so it's not like he's asking for all good no bad, he just said let's keep it all quiet until we know for sure.

I mean, these are the same idiots (general view askew forum members) who showed up in 2002 to talk about how shitty the movie was going to be simply because Lopez was cast.

Never having seen it or anything, they were ready to write it off based on one cast member.

I think that says a lot about what he's up against when he already has to fight through ten questions per interview about a relationship he wasn't in (bennifer) and a movie he didn't make (Gigli). Then to come to his own message board full of fans and getting to hear about how great or shitty his movie is days before it's even been released.

I think the guy is golden and has a great sense of humor about himself and so on, but one of the things I love about him is that he always feels human, and I know I don't want to have a bad day and then come home and have my friends recap how bad my day was as if it was a TV show.

Peep
03-24-04, 08:01 PM
Why not just shut down the board for the weekend???

Friggin' whiner!

PopcornTreeCt
03-24-04, 08:28 PM
Would you like some cheese with that..

Sorry someone had to say it. :)

Debaser
03-24-04, 08:46 PM
Sounds a little like a whiny little B&$%! Which is funny since his humor is all over people like that. Kind of like high brow low brow. I'm actually surprised by those comments even those it was on his own boards because with the negative press over the film and the 'Bennifer' situation I would think he would want to Reign(haha) in the situation. He knows he has a lot of detractors and I would think those comments would add fuel to the fire and it probably did seeing some of the comments on this board even though were a friendly bunch :)

neiname
03-24-04, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by S Kilpatrick
I mean, these are the same idiots (general view askew forum members) who showed up in 2002 to talk about how shitty the movie was going to be simply because Lopez was cast.

I see nothing wrong with this logic...

Sunday Morning
03-24-04, 09:33 PM
If I were him i'd gotten busy making another small film right after figuring out that jersey girl wasn't up to snuff and the whole backlash thing against J & B.
Something small and funny and without the hassle of big actors reputations to screw it up. sort of like make up sex for his audience. sometimes make up sex is best.

Or, not let my sentiments about family life get the best of me and make a picture that audience wants and expects of me.

Or, have a vision and stick to that vision no matter what and owning up to it till death do you part come rain or shine.

Or, just eat some marshmallow orange circus peanuts.
I really like those.

Debaser
03-24-04, 10:19 PM
Do they taste like orange or do they taste like peanuts? Or better yet does it taste like orange cream with a peanut after taste.

zero
03-24-04, 10:49 PM
Those who say they arent going to see it, are and will deny having seen it. I dont think Kevin is coming off as whiny I just think he knows in the bck of his mind that a lot of his "fans" are not going to dig this movie. and by "fans" I mean those who only watch for Jay and Bob, and cant get passed that. I dont blame him for taking this approach he's just asking those same "fans" to give the film a chance. Is that so hard?

Applejack
03-24-04, 11:00 PM
I don't know if I am going to see this or not.

I liked clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy, but I didn't like Dogma at all, and I thought that while J&SBSB had funny parts it wasnt a very good movie.

My dad really likes Kevin Smith though, so maybe I can sit through it at a matinee or something.

As far as the fans loving Jay and Silent Bob, I think that they are pretty annoying characters that are only good as a very small cameo. I won't miss them.

vivarey
03-25-04, 12:27 AM
Is it just me, or is threatening to ban your users for posting negative comments actually worse than any bad press caused by the negative comments themselves?

Over 99% of moviegoers have no idea about his site, nor would they ever want to visit (like me). If I were him, I'd hope this "plea" doesn't leak out via the mass media.

This movie can't help but be Gigli 2, IMO.

MrN
03-25-04, 12:56 AM
The movie is too sentimental for most critics? Guess I can save my money then....

;)

DonnachaOne
03-25-04, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by vivarey
Is it just me, or is threatening to ban your users for posting negative comments actually worse than any bad press caused by the negative comments themselves? I'm not sure of his intent with the banning threat. In the past, he's often treated it as a joke, a tongue-in-cheek remark0. Take, for instance, the banner for the film on the webboard, which says "go see it opening weekend or you're banned from this site". Considering the tone of his recent request, though... I don't know is he joking or not.

The Onion just gave the film a GREAT review (http://www.theonionavclub.com/cinema/#review4), and I'm sure most of the posters here know and understand just how sppot-on, well-written and pointed the Onion AV Club reviews typically are.

Steve K - glad to see you about!

vivarey
03-25-04, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
The Onion just gave the film a GREAT review (http://www.theonionavclub.com/cinema/#review4), and I'm sure most of the posters here know and understand just how sppot-on, well-written and pointed the Onion AV Club reviews typically are.

I dunno, I just read the review and thought it was mediocre at best.

"...it's a parenting comedy starring Ben Affleck, making two hours of arched eyebrows and dirty diapers an all-too-plausible worst-case scenario. The film has plenty of both, but somehow, it all works out anyway."

God_herself
03-25-04, 08:37 AM
I am one of the View Askew board posters, and unless you are part of the little (or not-so-little) family we have there, you won't understand what Kevin is referring to. He is not referring to negative posts about the movie - he is referring to negative posts about the other TV spots (like Yes, Dear) he is doing to promote the movie.

Everyone who posts on that board knows what they can and can't get away with. Keep in mind that the message board this came from is part of Kevin's website. It's HIS money that pays for it, and it's his right to ban or censor anyone or anything he doesn't like. Kevin has always been very gracious about accepting criticism in the past, but please also keep in mind that the guy is friggin' HUMAN for crying out loud.

The Nature Boy
03-25-04, 01:51 PM
I can hardly naviate the Viewaskew.com tangle of boards, but what is the consensus since this request/declaration? Have people held their tongue or been more savage?

Groucho
03-25-04, 03:11 PM
Hey Kevin,

Sup dude? I read/post at a board called DVDTalk.com, and they are going apeshit over your recent missive at va.com about "Jersey Girl."

As you can guess, I am "Groucho." I threw out a troll post to just "play along."

Check it out for a laugh:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=354619

Laters,
G.

QuiGonJosh
03-25-04, 05:30 PM
did they all of a sudden cancel this movie this weekend because all the theaters around my area dont have it listed for the weekend!? HELP!!!

askewed
03-25-04, 06:44 PM
Interesting thread.

Film Director with six films under his belt vs. a bunch of people you can afford a computer.

The topic. Said computer owners read the mind of a man they don't know, who lives a life they don't understand and can only dream about.

This was a very sad waste of two miutes.

ViewAskewbian
03-25-04, 06:49 PM
Who the hell is Kevin Smith?

wmansir
03-25-04, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by askewed
Interesting thread.

Film Director with six films under his belt vs. a bunch of people you can afford a computer.

The topic. Said computer owners read the mind of a man they don't know, who lives a life they don't understand and can only dream about.

This was a very sad waste of two miutes.

And I was just about to tell Groucho his post would only bring in the riff raff.

neiname
03-26-04, 01:26 PM
35% Rotten Tomatoes Rating,

Looks like we have a winner of a movie here.

mmconhea
03-26-04, 02:03 PM
I personally, can't wait to see this movie...
bomb, because I think Kevin Smith's is a one-note act. Oh wait that would be 2 notes. Jay AND Silent Bob... that's 2.

The Bus
03-07-07, 06:35 AM
What a thoroughly interesting and delightful thread.

Drexl
03-07-07, 06:59 AM
Bumped due to you searching for "Reign Over Me," eh?

awmurray
03-07-07, 02:27 PM

A bump from 2004? Nope, at this point it was officially a resurrection.

Joe Molotov
03-07-07, 02:49 PM
Kevin Smith sucks. Jersey Girl came out three years ago and he's still whining about it? Let it go, man.

Bugg
03-07-07, 04:01 PM
Kevin Smith sucks. Jersey Girl came out three years ago and he's still whining about it? Let it go, man.

You do know that this thread is 3 years old don't you?

dpz301
03-07-07, 06:50 PM
:lol: i just watched jersey girl last night for the first time and enjoyed it.

zombiezilla
03-07-07, 07:45 PM
it blew, and i am a fan...

porieux
03-07-07, 07:49 PM
I've never understood the fascination that some people seem to have with Kevin Smith. He doesn't really seem to be particularly talented at anything, except presumably self-promotion.

MasterCXtreme
03-07-07, 07:56 PM
I actually enjoyed it and think it's a pretty solid movie, nothing groundbreaking but not awful enough for Kevin to be afraid of trying different things. I personally think he's a better writer than a director.

TomOpus
03-07-07, 08:06 PM
I've never understood the fascination that some people seem to have with Kevin Smith. I've never understood why people read a thread about someone they don't care about :p

calhoun07
03-07-07, 10:33 PM
Jersey Girl is one of his most underrated movies. The thing I hated about watching Evening Harder was that he kept dogging that movie. It was an awesome movie that came out with some poor timing (the whole love affair with the media over the Bennifer thing) and it is disappointing that Kevin Smith is allowing $$$$ to determine whether he's able to direct movies outside of using Jay and Silent Bob or not.

porieux
03-08-07, 01:08 AM
I've never understood why people read a thread about someone they don't care about :p

Pretty easy to understand, if you take my post at face value.
I'm trying to understand what the appeal is.

NatrlBornThrllr
03-08-07, 05:07 AM

Confusion abounds. :lol:

Joe Molotov
03-08-07, 03:27 PM
You do know that this thread is 3 years old don't you?

Don't try and defend him, he needs to be called out for this.

NatrlBornThrllr
03-08-07, 03:34 PM
rotfl

Jray
03-08-07, 04:16 PM
Don't try and defend him, he needs to be called out for this.

I think you should challenge him to a boxing match.

GuessWho
03-08-07, 04:22 PM
I'm so very proud of my thread--and for Bugg for making it newly entertaining again. :)

cultshock
03-09-07, 09:03 PM
I don't get it, why was this 3 year old thread resurrected? :confused:

calhoun07
03-09-07, 11:01 PM
I don't get why people keep bumping it back up with pointless posts.

Fincher Fan
03-09-07, 11:18 PM
I agree with calhoun07.

The Bus
03-10-07, 07:48 AM
Dang.

You got me. :lol:

TomOpus
03-10-07, 09:41 AM
Pretty easy to understand, if you take my post at face value.
I'm trying to understand what the appeal is.Humor falls into 2 categories: Either you get it or you don't. Usually, if you have to explain a joke, it's lost the funny.

I find most of Kevin's stuff funny. Most. (sorry calhoun, I hated JG) On the other hand I find most of Will Ferrell's stuff not funny. No matter what people say, I will still continue to find most of Will's stuff not funny. It's just the way it is. This is why I think it's futile to ask people why you should find someone funny.

Viva La Differance!

porieux
03-10-07, 05:36 PM
I actually couldn't even tell he was trying to be funny. Wow.

NatrlBornThrllr
03-16-07, 04:32 AM
I agree with Fincher Fan.

Draven
03-16-07, 09:40 AM
I actually couldn't even tell he was trying to be funny. Wow.

You didn't know his movies were comedies? What did you think they were, docudramas about minimum wage employees and comic book artists yearning for something better?

DoubleDownAgain
03-16-07, 11:15 AM
I agree with NatrlBornThrllr

Doc MacGyver
03-16-07, 11:35 AM
I agree with calhoun07.

Yup.