Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 10:05 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts

http://4NN.cx/.208430

Famed manga creator Akira Toriyama died on March 1 due to acute subdural hematoma. He was 68. His family held a private funeral.

Toriyama's family is not accepting gifts, visits, or offerings, and is also not accepting interviews. Bird Studio, Toriyama's design and production studio, are planning to hold a comemmorative gathering in the future.

Old 03-08-24, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Re: Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

Yeah this was shocking to me when I first heard it last night... not only that he's dead but that they were able to keep it under wraps for like a week.

RIP to one of my childhood icons. Still remember thinking all those poop jokes in Dr. Slump were so funny as a really little kid, even though I couldn't read any of the words. And of course Dragon Ball... I remember when I found out Dragon Power was just a modified Dragon Ball game in English, buying Shonen Jump from the Japanese bookstore even though I still couldn't read anything just to keep up, renting VHS's with taped tv shows just to watch it, etc.

The man stepped back from his creation, rollling in the dough, and stepped back in once Hollywood ruined it.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (03-09-24)
Old 03-08-24, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I shed a few tears when I saw the news last night. Between DBZ and DQ, his art was my whole childhood.

Old 03-08-24, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I still have no idea why we never got a Chrono Trigger sequel with his art (I know we got Cross)
Old 03-08-24, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We've recently gotten back into Dragonball and you can see how it influenced so many other works, anime and all.
RIP
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

A giant in the field, 68 feels so young these days for someone passing away. Modern manga and anime look completely different without Dragon Ball Z's influence.
Old 03-08-24, 07:56 PM
WTK

https://blog.alltheanime.com/akira-toriyama-1955-2024/ (by Jonathan Clements)

Akira Toriyama (1955-2024)

The manga creator Akira Toriyama, who died on 1st March, was cited by the editor-in-chief of Weekly Shonen Jump as being the prime catalyst in driving the magazine to its six-million circulation in the 1980s. The antic humour of his Doctor Slump (1980-84) and the sprawling, brawling sci-fi saga Dragon Ball (original series 1984-95) made them definitive works in Bubble-era boys’ manga, propelling them through their anime incarnations into worldwide success, particularly in Europe and South America. Dragon Ball, in particular, would become a much-referenced trope in international popular culture, in everything from the French rappers Saļan Supa Crew to the Hungarian rock band AWS, who launched into a Dragon Ball “ginyu force pose” upon arriving onstage at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest.

A shy and reclusive figure, Toriyama sometimes admitted that his unease during interviews led him to be more jokey and dismissive about his work than he really should have been. A heavy smoker, he once claimed that he only entered a manga competition to win more money for cigarettes. After a brief stint making posters at a design company, he claimed to have drifted into manga creation as a better fit for his habits of dressing down and sleeping in. Such a claim rather ignored his fiercely productive output in a high-pressure environment, for which he had to crank out weekly chapters, without fail, for fifteen solid years.

As a youth, the animal-loving Toriyama was taken with Osamu Tezuka’s Astro Boy and Disney’s 101 Dalmatians, but his true love was Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon – released when Toriyama was in his late teens, the kung fu classic lured him back to the cinema three times a day for nearly a fortnight. After he married the manga artist Nachi Mikami in 1982, his wife introduced him to the works of Jackie Chan. A particular fan of the Drunken Fist movies, Toriyama could reportedly be found working on his manga with the films playing in the background, not watching them, but fired up by the “Hyaaaghs!” and “Aiiees!” on the soundtrack.

Often making the story up as he went along, Toriyama conceived of a “Dragon” title from Enter the Dragon and its imitators, and a quest-based, collecting narrative inspired by the eight magical stones of the samurai-era classic The Hakkenden. He named his hero Son Goku, the Japanese pronunciation of Sun Wukong, the name of the Monkey King in the Chinese novel Journey to the West, and expected that the journey to collect the magical, wish-granting “dragon balls” would only take a year to wrap up. Instead, it occupied him for over a decade, leaping partway to an animated adaptation, itself generating several spin-offs.

Along the way, Toriyama also enjoyed a parallel career as the character designer for the Dragon Quest series of computer games, as well as Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon. But it was Dragon Ball that truly made his name, with the manga often sneaking into foreign markets behind the anime, which would eventually go on-air in eighty countries. It was, in fact, supposedly Toriyama’s influence as a manga creator that pushed the overseas manga world into right-to-left printing. It had formerly been standard practice for foreign manga publishers to flip their pagination so it read left-to-right. When Dragon Ball came out in Spain, Toriyama was said to have insisted that his work be printed in its original format, opening the floodgates for the unflipped norm in the manga world today. Dragon Ball was not the first manga to appear unflipped, but the first to do so as a result of its creator’s preference – so, at least, the manga publishers of the world were led to believe.

Toriyama’s breakneck schedule and relatively small number of assistants led him to find a number of corner-cutting measures to streamline the manga production process. He liked to zoom in on characters whenever possible in order to reduce the necessary backgrounds, and if long-shots were required, he got his combatants out into the wilderness as quickly as possible, where there were fewer trees and buildings to worry about. After his assistant, Takashi Matsuyama, complained that he spent an unreasonable amount of time inking Son Goku’s spiky hair, Toriyama hit on the idea of a “Super Saiyan” transformation that turned the hero blond.

Similar behind-the-scenes hacks helped contribute to his idiosyncratic style. The son of an auto mechanic, he preferred to concentrate on weird and wonderful contraptions, while his wish to differentiate between faces and expressions inspired him to create multiple anthropomorphic animal characters, simply to add variation.

He received his first Macintosh computer from the animation company Bandai, and swiftly embraced the potential of digital media. “People often say that drawing on a computer is tasteless,” he once quipped, “but it’s not like I’m creating a work of art!” In his early days of analogue artwork, he avoided using screen tones because they were troublesome to apply; as a digital artist, he embraced them with alacrity.

The Dragon Ball series and its numerous spin-offs not only made Toriyama a fortune, but also established firm metrics for success in the world of boys’ manga. There are shadows of it to be glimpsed in all today’s modern successes, including Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Fairy Tail. It can be seen all over popular culture, in the goal celebrations of sporting stars, in-ring wrestlers’ performances, in martial arts moves and hip-hop dances, gifs and memes… and, of course, the Hungarian 2018 Eurovision entry.
Old 03-08-24, 10:46 PM
WTK

Old 03-09-24, 02:58 PM
WTK

March 8:

El Salvador has made a declaration of nationwide mourning for Akira Toriyama and I do not know what stronger legacy you could aspire to as an artist than several governments and actual world leaders on multiple different continents commemorating you in this fashion.