Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 01:13 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Time Magazine's interview with Fruits Basket creator Natsuki Takaya is now available online!
Old 08-11-06, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished my last box of Maison Ikkoku and I highly recommend this to anybody who has even the slightest interest in romantic comedy. It was recommend to me by a friend and both my girlfriend and I instantly fell in love with it. At 96 eps, it is the longest rom/com out there. But if you can spare the time, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-11-06, 11:22 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by toogood
I just finished my last box of Maison Ikkoku and I highly recommend this to anybody who has even the slightest interest in romantic comedy. It was recommend to me by a friend and both my girlfriend and I instantly fell in love with it. At 96 eps, it is the longest rom/com out there. But if you can spare the time, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
I know Maison Ikkoku is on my anime to be watched list. I only have seen the 1st episode and I already got the feeling that I will enjoy watching this series.

Speaking of older anime, I know sometime down the line I would also like to watch Boys Over Flowers and Marmalade Boy. It's kind of funny to see that Boys Over Flowers (Japan) and Marmalade Boy (Taiwan) both have live-action TV series. And there was the Maison Ikkoku live-action drama movie (1988), which wasn't greatly raved. They are also making a new Maison Ikkoku live-action drama TV series in Japan. I guess they just love to make live-action TV series from these type of anime in Japan (or Taiwan for Marmalade Boy)!
Old 08-12-06, 06:13 AM

I only have the first 6 volumes of Maison Ikkoku on DVD. It really slowed me down when they stopped selling these through the regular retail outputs after Volume 3. Guess they weren't selling enough? Anyway, glad they didn't stop releasing them. My wife and I have been watching it for over 3 years now. Very enjoyable series.
Old 08-12-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Whats the most wanted OOP anime title?
Old 08-12-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Just finished Kino's Journey today, definately a must-watch for any fan of anime.

Going to start Samurai 7 next!
Old 08-12-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
That's a tough question. I would have thought that the Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions Box Set would be the most desired, but that might not be the case now that the Remix DVDs have been released. Perhaps the Limited Edition Collector's Tin of Akira might hold some value. I know that some of the Fullmetal Alchemist Tins were going for big bucks on ebay.
Old 08-13-06, 01:53 AM

The original Fist of the North Star Movie is quite rare. Also, low production art boxes such as Ai Yori Aoshi or Kimagure Orange Road TV can fetch a pretty penny.
Old 08-13-06, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't know about "most wanted," but here are some OOP titles:

Battle Angel
Spirit of Wonder (AnimEigo)
Serial Experiments Lain lunchbox set
FLCL Vol. 3 with art box

Region 2:
Macross Flash Back 2012
Leda: Fantastic Adventure of Yohko
Windaria
Angel's Egg
Old 08-13-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up all 3 Rurouni Kenshin DVD Economy Box Sets, b/c I totally got hooked on the show. Then I have the SAMURAI X-1ST OVA COLLECTION

Is this everything? Should I watch all of the 3 box sets, before any of Samurai X? And does the OVA Collection I have contain all the OVAs or is there more?
Old 08-13-06, 10:36 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I just picked up all 3 Rurouni Kenshin DVD Economy Box Sets, b/c I totally got hooked on the show. Then I have the SAMURAI X-1ST OVA COLLECTION

Is this everything? Should I watch all of the 3 box sets, before any of Samurai X? And does the OVA Collection I have contain all the OVAs or is there more?
There is also Samurai X: The Motion Picture (movie), which is a sequel for Rurouni Kenshin. I believe the older OVA collection has 3-DVDs and the newer thinpak set should have 2-DVDs. Nevertheless the OVA Collection should contain Trust and Betrayal (prequel), and Reflection (sequel). I haven't watched this series yet so I can't really comment on which one you should watch first.
Old 08-13-06, 12:22 PM

Anyone interested in Japanese History and has a love for samurai, then you do owe it to yourself to checkout Kenshin. I purchased the 1st TV season and have the 2nd backordered. I too will have the entire series on DVD.
Are there any other good animes dealing with Japanese and Samurai history at the level of Kenshin?
Old 08-13-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Kenshin was ok, but way to long/drawn out and overated IMO.
Old 08-13-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toogood
The original Fist of the North Star Movie is quite rare. Also, low production art boxes such as Ai Yori Aoshi or Kimagure Orange Road TV can fetch a pretty penny.

Ahh, no wonder I can't find Fist of the North Star. I wanted my wife to watch it as Excel Saga heavily spoofs it at the end of the show (along with perhaps Mad Max), and I found it utterly hilarious.
Old 08-13-06, 08:26 PM

Sessa17-I just picked up all 3 Rurouni Kenshin DVD Economy Box Sets, b/c I totally got hooked on the show. Then I have the SAMURAI X-1ST OVA COLLECTION
08-13-06 01:31 AM
I would finish off the Tv show first before begining any of the OVA's or the movies. I think it makes the OVA's that much better when you already know the Kenshin Character from the show, and it keeps his past a mystery outside of the few bits they show or talk about in the series.
And besides the movie that might not be in the OVA box, I know that there is a director's cut of the OVA's that might not be part of the set.
Old 08-14-06, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Kenshin was ok, but way to long/drawn out and overated IMO.
I think it was way to long/drawn due to the last arc of the story was a filler arc, which wasn't that good. From what I heard the real last arc from the manga that was never animated was the best. I just purchased the entire set from ebay so I can read it. Last arc from the manga spans from volume 19 - 28 of a 28vol set, so there are more that are missing. You might think that's way too long, but I do like the series. You can find more info over at wiki, but be forwarned as it might contain spoilers.

Wiki Kenshin
Old 08-14-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by wesbc
I think it was way to long/drawn due to the last arc of the story was a filler arc, which wasn't that good. From what I heard the real last arc from the manga that was never animated was the best. I just purchased the entire set from ebay so I can read it. Last arc from the manga spans from volume 19 - 28 of a 28vol set, so there are more that are missing. You might think that's way too long, but I do like the series. You can find more info over at wiki, but be forwarned as it might contain spoilers.

Wiki Kenshin
Yeah, I skipped the entire third season and just stuck with the Kyoto arc as the ending. The Jinchuu manga arc was kinda made into animation (the OVAs were based on it).

The first season of Kenshin does seem kinda full of filler, but it's important in setting up the characters so that you'll be blown away by the second season. Then in the third season, they had to wait for Watsuki to finish the manga arc, so they did their own filler, and didn't get to be on the air long enough to animate the last arc on TV. Even though the Trust and Betrayal OAVs are set in a time period before the 1st season of the TV series, I agree that one should watch the TV series first.

Peacemaker Kurogane is also set in the same time period, though without Kenshin (obviously) and focused on the side of the Shinsengumi (so Saito is in it). Can't vouche for it, though, as I have yet to make it past the first disc, even though I have the entire release in singles.
Old 08-15-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

I'm bumping this thread because I noticed a couple of new, anime related threads popped up today. Hopefully these threadstarters will notice this thread and post their questions here.
Old 08-15-06, 10:49 PM
WTK

Just a little news to FLCL fans out there:

It looks like there will be a FLCL Ultimate Edition DVD Set (4-Disc) coming out sometime in the near future according to Synch-Point Production Blog. There is no indication of what will be on the 4th disc yet. My guess the 4th disc will probably contain some sort of extras.
Old 08-16-06, 09:35 AM
WTK

Tentative Full Metal Panic! TSR DVD Release Date (From AOD):

11/14 - Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid: Tactical Ops 1 (w/ Starter Set) (Eps 1-4) $29.98/$39.98
Old 08-16-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
Tentative Full Metal Panic! TSR DVD Release Date (From AOD):

11/14 - Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid: Tactical Ops 1 (w/ Starter Set) (Eps 1-4) $29.98/$39.98
Excellent news. I was hoping for an October 3 release, but this will do(just in time for the next DDD sale).
Old 08-16-06, 10:28 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Excellent news. I was hoping for an October 3 release, but this will do(just in time for the next DDD sale).
Even though I've seen the series already + the 30-minute OVA, I'll buy the first volume during the next DDD sale. And it looks like the episodes release per volume would be 4, 3, 3, 3. Fans of the 1st season should love TSR as well! To me it's the best seasn of FMP so far though it's only 13 episodes. Without giving away too much, there is even more action and more character developments in TSR. I'm definitely hoping that there would be another season of FMP; there are still unanswered questions at end of TSR.
Old 08-16-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Without giving anything away, does Tessa receive decent screen time in TSR? That was the only thing missing from Fumoffu, not enough Tessa, Kurtz and Melissa. I also hope for more FMP goodness. The characters are so damn likeable.
Old 08-16-06, 10:55 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Without giving anything away, does Tessa receive decent screen time in TSR? That was the only thing missing from Fumoffu, not enough Tessa, Kurtz and Melissa. I also hope for more FMP goodness. The characters are so damn likeable.
Tessa will get more screen time, but not as much as you like. Kurtz and Melissa have a bit of screen time, but they are more or less background characters in TSR with the exception of a couple battle scenes. TSR will dive in even more on Chidori and Sousuke's character development. The 30-minute OVA however is more like Fumoffu and is pretty much devoted to Tessa.
Old 08-16-06, 04:58 PM

What show or movie do you recommend for a 5 year old girl? No Ghibli films please.

She likes Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and Sailor Moon, something like those.

Last edited by InitialX; 08-16-06 at 05:08 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.